Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill

DJB

Personally, I believe that the "Bills want to trade up for ETN" smoke was real. I believe they tried. I believe ETN was the player they were targeting.

Beane literally said that if a running back added something to the room that they didn't already have, they'd absolutely take him. He want on just a few sentences later to admit that something they lack in the room is "a home run hitter". He also explained that guys like CMC and Kamara are worth first round picks because they improve both the run and pass game. Now we hear that ETN is cross-training as a WR in Jacksonville.

We'll never know for sure how serious the Bills' interest in ETN was, but it is my personal opinion that they were very interested.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Personally, I believe that the "Bills want to trade up for ETN" smoke was real. I believe they tried. I believe ETN was the player they were targeting.

Beane literally said that if a running back added something to the room that they didn't already have, they'd absolutely take him. He want on just a few sentences later to admit that something they lack in the room is "a home run hitter". He also explained that guys like CMC and Kamara are worth first round picks because they improve both the run and pass game. Now we hear that ETN is cross-training as a WR in Jacksonville.

We'll never know for sure how serious the Bills' interest in ETN was, but it is my personal opinion that they were very interested.

Again there is no way that Beane would tell everyone that the Bills were targeting ETN, who is the only running back he could have been talking about.

• Like (+1) 1

Agents get paid a lot of money to predict where their client is going. After Pittsburgh Buffalo was the next likely spot left in the 1st round. Simple as that. Not even a difficult prediction. 

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

We know how serious. They didn't make the trade. That's how serious. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Beane went unprompted at one of the post draft press conferences to say he's not in the "never draft a running back in the first round" club.  Combine that with all the pre draft rumors, Etienne's comment, and Beane's pre draft comment that we didn't have a homerun threat............I think we would've taken him if available at #30.  They may have even tried to trade up and failed.  I would've been thrilled to get him so I hope he fails miserably in Jacksonville.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Beane went unprompted at one of the post draft press conferences to say he's not in the "never draft a running back in the first round" club.  Combine that with all the pre draft rumors, Etinee's comment, and Beane's pre draft comment that we didn't have a homerun threat............I think we would've taken him if available at #30.  They may have even tried to trade up and failed.  I would've been thrilled to get him so I hope he fails miserably in Jacksonville.

Unless they didn't have him as first round talent. 

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

How can you say this? If Etienne ends up a HOF and Rousseau is out of the league after his rookie contract would your view still hold water? A top level RB who can also line up wide and catch as good as a starting caliber slot receiver is more valuable than an average pass rusher any day.

I agree. I wanted Etienne and thought he could have helped take this offense to the next level. People seem to be blinded by “no running back in the first” that they ignore Etienne’s playmaking abilities. He’s so much more than a RB. And he’s got years of productivity.

I hope Rousseau turns out to be great. He’s got all the tools but he’s beyond raw. However, the last time the bills bet on traits, we got our franchise qb...so...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Unless they didn't have him as first round talent. 

That's possible but they would've gone against the overall consensus.  I believe Beane was still with the Panthers when they drafted McCaffrey and who knows how much influence he had over that pick.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

That's possible but they would've gone against the overall consensus.  I believe he was still with the Panthers when they drafted McCaffrey and who knows how much influence he had over that pick.

McCaffrey was a different player. All we know is the Bills didn't trade up for him..

I think it's possible they wanted him, but I don't think they felt he was McCaffrey. 

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I have to admit that it would be more of a splash pick and I'd be way more excited, but they did the right thing in the end. I think it's a win if just one the top 2 edge rushers becomes a great pick.

I wanted him too. Of all the DE’s, I thought the two that were least likely to be Bills were Rousseau and Oweh. They are just so raw. However, it’s clear that the Bills like to bet on elite traits and have been rewarded with results in guys like Allen. I also thought the covid opt outs were going to play a bigger role for the bills. They want guys that love football, but Rousseau and Brown seem to have pretty legit reasons behind their opt outs. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

How can you say this? If Etienne ends up a HOF and Rousseau is out of the league after his rookie contract would your view still hold water? A top level RB who can also line up wide and catch as good as a starting caliber slot receiver is more valuable than an average pass rusher any day.

what happens if it is switched around....Rousseau goes on to a HOF career while Etienne fails to get enough touches in a crowded backfield in Jacksonville.   The Draft is a lottery and there is no such thing as a sure thing

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Again there is no way that Beane would tell everyone that the Bills were targeting ETN, who is the only running back he could have been talking about.

I disagree. Beane is a pretty straight shooter. Case in point: He talked leading up the draft about needing to "affect the opposing quarterback" more effectively, and then they drafted two edge rushers in the first two rounds. How do you explain that?

52 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We know how serious. They didn't make the trade. That's how serious. 

All we know from watching that video is that they tried to trade up and the cost being asked of them was too high. Without knowing what that cost was -- and a bunch of other variables -- there's a limited amount that can be inferred.

They very well could have been willing to give up, say, their second round pick to move up, but the team on the other line was asking for next year's first. It doesn't mean they weren't highly interested in whatever player they were pursuing. 

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McCaffrey was a different player. All we know is the Bills didn't trade up for him..

I think it's possible they wanted him, but I don't think they felt he was McCaffrey. 

Not that different.  They may have felt his ceiling was McCaffrey.  It's possible the Bills would've traded up for him if they weren't lacking offensive firepower like the Panthers were going into the 2017 season.  Can someone give Beane some truth serum before his next press conference?

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not that different.  They may have felt his ceiling was McCaffrey.  It's possible the Bills would've traded up for him if they weren't lacking offensive firepower like the Panthers were going into the 2017 season.  Can someone give Beane some truth serum before his next press conference?

We're going a little crazy with guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Only guys I would have been willing to trade up for were Greg Newsome and Kwity Paye. I think all the Etienne talk was just a smokescreen. 

Agree with this ^^^ and our first two picks probably confirmed ^^^^^

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.