Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why are people so obsessed with this guy? He sucks 

I don’t think anybody’s obsessed with Clowney.  We have enough JAG’s on the D-Line.  There’s still elite potential in there somewhere.  D Williams sucked the 2 years before we brought him in.  The risk paid off.  Unless you wanna pay $15m+ over multiple years, you gotta take some risks to improve the pass rush.  
If there are better options out there, I’d be all for them.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t think anybody’s obsessed with Clowney.  We have enough JAG’s on the D-Line.  There’s still elite potential in there somewhere.  D Williams sucked the 2 years before we brought him in.  The risk paid off.  Unless you wanna pay $15m+ over multiple years, you gotta take some risks to improve the pass rush.  
If there are better options out there, I’d be all for them.  

I constantly see people on here clamoring all the time for Clowney and I don't get it. He's got talent but has always been lazy. That's why he sucks

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I constantly see people on here clamoring all the time for Clowney and I don't get it. He's got talent but has always been lazy. That's why he sucks

Agreed but it’s the talent part you’d be taking a swing at.  Other options available are in their 30’s and would cost just as much if not more.  We have enough of those.  Clowney is still relatively young and has more upside than the options available.  We need upside on the D-Line.  If he flames out, Bills have plenty of JAG’s to roll out there.  

I think everyone should stop with Clowney.  He does not effect the QB, he can set the edge but we have plenty of that.

I would take Bam Johnson over Clowney.   The BB tamed 92 back a bit last year but he if he can stay disciplined he at least can bother the QB

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed but it’s the talent part you’d be taking a swing at.  Other options available are in their 30’s and would cost just as much if not more.  We have enough of those.  Clowney is still relatively young and has more upside than the options available.  We need upside on the D-Line.  If he flames out, Bills have plenty of JAG’s to roll out there.  

He will flame out. He did it in Houston and Tennessee. And on top of that, he's made of glass and lazy. No thanks

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'm fine with Ertz, but would't it be better to just add Rudolph? They're pretty much the same player at this point in their careers. It's hard to know if Ertz can regain full form from his injuries at his age.

This!

A good TE can be a QB's best friend and although Wentz and that eggels offense was a hot mess...Philly TE Dallas Goedert looked like Ertz of old and he had a 70% catch percentage with that same hot mess of an offense. 

Lets trade for Goedert! 

Ertz, 11 games, 11 game starts. 72 targets, 36 rec for 335 yards, 1 TD a 50% catch percentage.

*Although, Ertz was dealing with a high ankle sprain in 2020 and it does remain to be seen if he can regain his old form. Apparently, the Eagles don't think so.

Edited by Nihilarian

Clowney has played in the NFL for 7 years and never reached double digit sacks. When are people going to realize he isn't all that?

If this guy was taken in the middle of the second round nobody would even bring his name up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'm fine with Ertz, but would't it be better to just add Rudolph? They're pretty much the same player at this point in their careers. It's hard to know if Ertz can regain full form from his injuries at his age.

Ertz’s ceiling of play is certainly higher than Rudolph even factoring in the down year for Ertz but Rudolph isn’t a bad “plan B” at worst you being in Rudolph to take on the Kroft role of being a solid more steady but less dynamic complement to Knox.

But I would prefer Ertz as I think he still has a very good year or two left. I just wouldn’t over pay for him. I offer a 5th in 2021 and a conditional 5th in 2022 that could escalate to a 4th. If the Eagles get a better offer then they can take it and I sign Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 1

*edit

Eagles are under the cap as of the Goodwin move. So a trade with Ertz is no longer necessary. 

According to the Eagles message board, Ertz is no longer demanding a new contract IF he gets traded 

Edited by Virgil
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't agree with the assertion that we cannot be a top 5 defense.... We technically have

* A all-pro CB 

* Two well rounded Safeties that don't make mistakes

* Two all-star Linebackers 

* A DT picked in the top 10  in the draft and an all-star DE

This core group with some exciting peripheral players definitely has a chance to be a top-5 defense.  

Although I dont think top 5 is possible this year, I do think with Star back we get better.  Draft correctly and maybe another FA pickup we get better and are not bulldozed. 

What I was trying to say was that if we attempt to focus on being good at both but not great at either O or D, we will not go anywhere.  We are better on Offense than defense-so if we focus on being the #1 Offense with tons of weapons at every position possible we can outscore opponents enough to make up for our lower graded Defense respectively.   As one person said losing on 3 and 15 is unacceptable and I agree, so fix those issues and we are in the top 10 D.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Clowney has played in the NFL for 7 years and never reached double digit sacks. When are people going to realize he isn't all that?

If this guy was taken in the middle of the second round nobody would even bring his name up.

but don’t you remember the one great play he made in college against a 5’7” RB? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

what the hell is going on in this thread?  The Eagles have been making moves the past month to get under the cap.  The Wentz deal was never really in doubt.  

In regards to Ertz, it looks like they don’t need the $8m they would’ve saved by cutting him to get under the cap.  So they now can trade him if they want instead of cutting him.  Or they can just hold on to him.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

what the hell is going on in this thread?  The Eagles have been making moves the past month to get under the cap.  The Wentz deal was never really in doubt.  

In regards to Ertz, it looks like they don’t need the $8m they would’ve saved by cutting him to get under the cap.  So they now can trade him if they want instead of cutting him.  Or they can just hold on to him.  

He also blows.

• Dislike 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I would rather get a TE where we don’t have to sacrifice draft capital...

Normally I would agree, but TEs take forever to develop and the best ones never hit FA. Also our picks are so late in the draft our RD1 is basically and early RD2, our RD2 is a RD3 and we are like 2 picks from Mr. Irrelevant, those picks after rd2 don't do too much for us

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Normally I would agree, but TEs take forever to develop and the best ones never hit FA. Also our picks are so late in the draft our RD1 is basically and early RD2, our RD2 is a RD3 and we are like 2 picks from Mr. Irrelevant, those picks after rd2 don't do too much for us

Many of the best TE’s are mid to late round draft picks. Finding a quality TE not only takes time, but it’s also a random crapshoot. It’s definitely a position I’m willing to spend resources on. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Many of the best TE’s are mid to late round draft picks. Finding a quality TE not only takes time, but it’s also a random crapshoot. It’s definitely a position I’m willing to spend resources on. 

They take like 3 to 4 years to develop, yes you need them, but holy hell; that's a lot of time. Knox is entering his time to shine now...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Ertz had 336 total receiving yards 1 TD and only caught 36 passes out of 72. This is what you guys want to trade for??? I know most won’t agree with me but Hard pass.

One down season now means bad player?  Got ya 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Ertz had 336 total receiving yards 1 TD and only caught 36 passes out of 72. This is what you guys want to trade for??? I know most won’t agree with me but Hard pass.

That was just one bad year. His 5 years prior to that he had 75 catches or more every season. 116 catches in 2018 and 88 catches in 2019. He has been a 2 or 3 time pro bowler I believe. You're gonna go by one bad season where he was plagued by injuries and the Eagles offense was a complete mess?

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yeah bro agree remember when randy moss had that bad year in Oakland cause of injuries and bad QB play. Yeah I do bum didn’t do***** after that 

ohhhhhh wait lol

Edited by TheJauronClap

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

That was just one bad year. His 5 years prior to that he had 75 catches or more every season. 116 catches in 2018 and 88 catches in 2019. He has been a 2 or 3 time pro bowler I believe. You're gonna go by one bad season where he was plagued by injuries and the Eagles offense was a complete mess?

He is no longer a good player.  Beane isn’t an idiot and won’t overpay for Ertz.  He was the third best TE in a horrible team.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1