Which retread NFL Head Coach would you hire?

JohnNord

You’re the GM of an NFL franchise and about to hire a new coach.  But your owner insists on hiring a HC with previous NFLhead coaching experience.  

Who do you hire and why?  Below are a few candidates:

Leslie Frazier, Bills DC

Josh McDaniels, Patriots HC 

Jason Garrett, Giants OC

Todd Bowles, Bucs DC

Dennis Allen, Saints DC

Raheem Morris, Falcons DC/HC

Romeo Crennel, Texans DC/HC

Chan Gailey, Miami OC (just for fun!)

Dan Quinn, out of NFL

Matt Patricia, out of NFL

Marvin Lewis, out of NFL

Bill O’Brien, out of NFL 

Jim Caldwell, out of NFL

Jim Harbaugh, out of NFL

IMO I would go with Frazier or Bowles.  I think both are good leaders that would be a solid defense.  Offense is the big question mark with them.  

Edited by JohnNord

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

You’re the GM of an NFL franchise and about to hire a new coach.  But your owner insists on hiring a HC with previous NFLhead coaching experience.  

Who do you hire and why?  Below are a few candidates:

Leslie Frazier, Bills DC

Josh McDaniels, Patriots HC 

Jason Garrett, Giants OC

Todd Bowles, Bucs DC

Dennis Allen, Saints DC

Raheem Morris, Falcons DC/HC

Romeo Crennel, Texans DC/HC

Chan Gailey, Miami OC (just for fun!)

Dan Quinn, out of NFL

Matt Patricia, out of NFL

Marvin Lewis, out of NFL

Bill O’Brien, out of NFL 

Jim Caldwell, out of NFL

Jim Harbaugh, out of NFL

IMO I would go with Frazier or Bowles.  I think both are good leaders that would be a solid defense.  Offense is the big question mark with them.  

Wade Phillips 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

I believe every team he had went to playoffs 

I don’t believe Denver did when he was HC.  His overall winning percentage is about 57%.  Slightly above average which is how Id categorize him as HC.

Wade is also almost 74 years old.  Too old to be hired as a HC 

Just now, Manther said:

Jim Caldwell he was a good HC and leader at the NFL level with success.

Dan Orlavsky loved Caldwell and said what a good job he did as HC in Detroit.  I know he’s been in consideration for other HC jobs recently.  

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t believe Denver did when he was HC.  His overall winning percentage is about 57%.  Slightly above average which is how Id categorize him as HC.

Wade is also almost 74 years old.  Too old to be hired as a HC 

Dan Orlavsky loved Caldwell and said what a good job he did as HC in Detroit.  I know he’s been in consideration for other HC jobs recently.  

Like Caldwell too. Wade lost to Raiders in playoffs with Denver 

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

Jason Garrett, because I'm hiring a Head Coach, not a coordinator.

I need someone to be the CEO of the team and set the tone for the organization, not someone worried about calling plays.

And out of that list, most of those guys just seem like Coordinators who couldnt hack it as head coaches. Where Garrett is a Head Coach who had his ups and downs. IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

Brian Billick.

80-64, Super Bowl winner. 

I don't know what happened with his career. He never coached again after the Ravens. 

It's amazing the Ravens have only had three coaches in their history - Marchibroda, Billick and Harbaugh.  

Either Marvin Lewis or Harbaugh...Lewis built consistently good programs that made the playoffs almost every year. Regardless of lack of playoff success the reason that team is looking for a head coach is because they can't even make it to the playoffs. Conquer step one before worrying about step 2.

Harbaugh was close to winning a super bowl and built one of the best teams in the NFL quickly once he took over.

If I am taking a retread I want one that has shown success and making the playoffs not a potentially good one who has learned.

Quinn might be interesting as he fits the bill too but he has been bad since the Falcons lost the SB and seemingly had no answers. He looks even worse after Raheem Morris took over and has them playing pretty respectably and actually winning some games.

Edited by Big Turk

29 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Harbaugh. I don’t understand why he left NFL for college job. He had quick success reaching SB with 49ers and developed Kapernik into star qb 

27 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think it was a control issue, he got more program control at Michigan

I think he was just done with the NFL after he got fired without ever having a losing season. He is a bit of a head case and a crazy personality, but he's a really good coach in the NFL.

He went 44-19 as head coach of the 49ers. The 49ers hadn't had a winning season in 9 seasons prior to him. He went to the NFC Championship game 3 times and the Superbowl once. He was coach of the year once.

Just crazy that the 49ers let him go.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

1. Harbaugh

2. Mcdaniels.

I am surprised no one really has said mcdaniels.

I get their offence sucks this year, but if NE had bill walsh and Andy Reid running that offence, I still don’t think they would have gotten much more.

He was a head coach already and that didn't work out.

35 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Agree, I think he started having problems with the front office in San Fran and was somewhat pushed out.  Stupid on The 49ers in my opinion

Agree, I think he started having problems with the front office in San Fran and was somewhat pushed out.  Stupid on The 49ers in my opinion

What about that Rex Ryan guy, he sounds pretty Knowledgeable on ESPN ?  LOL

I think I'd go with Caldwell, anyone who can get Lions into the playoffs must have some talent. I always liked Bowles demeaner on the field but he might be better suited for the defensive coordinator only.

• Haha (+1) 2

Caldwell would be #1 for me.  He never should've been fired in Detroit. 

Frazier, McDaniel, and Dennis Allen all have recently been part of winning organizations and seem to have the temperament (level-headed) and intelligence to have learned from experience and do a good job with their next opportunity.   Although, there would be trust issues with McDaniel after he burned Indy and since he is a known and repetitive cheater.

Jim Schwartz. 

Some argue that he is not HC material, but as a DC he is in his element.  I think he's too talented to not take a shot that he learned tons from his HC failures.  Including the need to delegate and be a true HC.

I mean, at times it felt like he was the actual leader of the Bills.  

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1