Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

On 12/2/2020 at 8:09 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Daboll and Patricia would make the fattest HC and Coordinator combo in the history of the NFL.  They need to hire Freddie Kitchens as OC and they will cause a gravitational pull.

What about Rex & Rob!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, thenorthremembers said:

If I am Houston I hire GM Ed Doods from Indi and match him up with Robert Saleh as soon as the Colts and 49ers are out of the hunt.   They have worked together before, and Saleh is going to be a very good head coach.  

Houston is a great spot fir a Dood Ranch

Edited by JohnNord
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 12/2/2020 at 6:09 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Daboll and Patricia would make the fattest HC and Coordinator combo in the history of the NFL.  They need to hire Freddie Kitchens as OC and they will cause a gravitational pull.

I’m pretty sure the Ryan’s have that record on lock.  

On 12/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Dallas should definitely fire McCarthy.......that hire was inexplicable, IMO............then they should hire Kris Richard as HC and let him bring Rod Marinelli back as DC............it would be an upgrade but at the same time not a total shakeup or a bunch of guys brought in that have to learn the organization.    That would be a different example of the kind of off script you are talking about.   Richard is sitting out voluntarily until he gets AT LEAST a DC job.......but it seems to me from everything I have heard that he is a better HC candidate than a DC one.   He checks some boxes that would be wise for JJ to consider checking.

I agree about the McCarthy hire, but that would mean Jerry Jones admitting to making a mistake. McCarthy isn’t going anywhere because Jerry wants to be right. He can just blame this season on bad luck. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree about the McCarthy hire, but that would mean Jerry Jones admitting to making a mistake. McCarthy isn’t going anywhere because Jerry wants to be right. He can just blame this season on bad luck. 

We can only hope.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, Don Otreply said:

Just for fun, I for one would love to see Belichick hired by Tampa Bay, and look Brady right in the eyes and say with a smile, “ I’m back” 

the melt down Tawmy would have would be absolutely fantastic, who else is with me on this ... 😂

Don, are you just trying to torch me?  🤣. I live here and it was not hard enough for me to root for Brady, but I have so many friends here, I want them to have a winning team again.  The notion of trying to support a Belichick team is too painful to consider, so he’ll no.  Besides Arians isn’t getting fired.  They just stood toe to toe with the Chiefs, losing 27-24, but a nice comeback for the Bucs.  I don’t think it’s a gimme Peterson is fired.  It’s possible, not an absolute.  The others are probably a lock.  GB, not sure on McCarthy as he may get a pass because of Dak out for most of the year.  If he repeats next year, then I would say yes.

Anyway, GB nice write up and very well thought out.  Someone on another thread asked about posting.  For this guy who asked about how to post, I would say read GB’s post here as it is exactly what TSW guys enjoy reading even if people disagree.  It’s thought provoking, thoughtful, and lots of good information.

In a typical year you usually see about six of these. As it stands we've got three of them out with marrone and gase likely to be the next two...

I think that the sixth one is going to be Arians because he doesn't fit with Tom Brady and that team needs to win now. Frankly I think that's correct because Arians really hasn't done a good job this year and there isn't really time.

In my personal opinion, I am out on Mike McCarthy and I think Dallas should let him go but I'm not sure that they will. Jerry Jones hires coaches like McCarthy because he's never going to bring in a strong leader that supercedes his credit for building the organization. he also isn't going to admit that the higher is a mistake.

I would give Lynn another year. I think the Spanos family will also. That's not a team that's going to run out coaches quickly because they don't like to pay extra contracts but I would need to see Lynn fail again given how poorly some of the luck factors have gone.

I think Philadelphia and Chicago have GM problems more than they have Coach problems. Philadelphia is going through a Chan gailey buddy Nix era Bill's level of poor drafting and are trying to blame their quarterback. And yeah, Wentz is having a down year in his fourth year, but he's been excellent the previous three and they gave him big money for a reason. Players have down years and progression is not always 100% linear. for the most part Philly needs to make a change in the person who's drafting for them.

In Chicago, the issue there is largely that they whiffed on trubisky and they need to jump off the train. I think Nagy could win games there if they got another bite at the quarterback Apple and chose somebody who was good. If chicago doesn't trust Pace to do that, I can see a housecleaning.

2 hours ago, y2zipper said:

In a typical year you usually see about six of these. As it stands we've got three of them out with marrone and gase likely to be the next two...

I think that the sixth one is going to be Arians because he doesn't fit with Tom Brady and that team needs to win now. Frankly I think that's correct because Arians really hasn't done a good job this year and there isn't really time.

In my personal opinion, I am out on Mike McCarthy and I think Dallas should let him go but I'm not sure that they will. Jerry Jones hires coaches like McCarthy because he's never going to bring in a strong leader that supercedes his credit for building the organization. he also isn't going to admit that the higher is a mistake.

I would give Lynn another year. I think the Spanos family will also. That's not a team that's going to run out coaches quickly because they don't like to pay extra contracts but I would need to see Lynn fail again given how poorly some of the luck factors have gone.

I think Philadelphia and Chicago have GM problems more than they have Coach problems. Philadelphia is going through a Chan gailey buddy Nix era Bill's level of poor drafting and are trying to blame their quarterback. And yeah, Wentz is having a down year in his fourth year, but he's been excellent the previous three and they gave him big money for a reason. Players have down years and progression is not always 100% linear. for the most part Philly needs to make a change in the person who's drafting for them.

In Chicago, the issue there is largely that they whiffed on trubisky and they need to jump off the train. I think Nagy could win games there if they got another bite at the quarterback Apple and chose somebody who was good. If chicago doesn't trust Pace to do that, I can see a housecleaning.

Yes Pace picked Mitch over Watson and Mahomes.  You can say Mahomes had questions coming out but Watson was a better college QB/better prospect than Trubisky.  The fact that Trubisky could not beat out a scrub to start until a senior was a huge flashing warning sign.

So then Pace brought in Foles who is no better.  Is it the coaching or poor GM decisions?  If you go with a rookie QB, do you want these guys to make that decision and to develop that QB?  I would not.

9 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Yes Pace picked Mitch over Watson and Mahomes.  You can say Mahomes had questions coming out but Watson was a better college QB/better prospect than Trubisky.  The fact that Trubisky could not beat out a scrub to start until a senior was a huge flashing warning sign.

So then Pace brought in Foles who is no better.  Is it the coaching or poor GM decisions?  If you go with a rookie QB, do you want these guys to make that decision and to develop that QB?  I would not.

I'd say the coaching is good considering the defense and the fact that Nagy won a division title before people figured out Trubisky can't play and they got to 5-1 this season. I also think QB misses are a little more forgivable because nobody has a clue who's gonna be good. Picking up Foles is just an indicator they're trying to jump off Trubisky.

4 hours ago, y2zipper said:

I'd say the coaching is good considering the defense and the fact that Nagy won a division title before people figured out Trubisky can't play and they got to 5-1 this season. I also think QB misses are a little more forgivable because nobody has a clue who's gonna be good. Picking up Foles is just an indicator they're trying to jump off Trubisky.

That division title should belong to Vic Fangio. It was his defense that won it. Nagy showed he was inventive that first year and there was some good smoke and mirrors but he has really struggled to develop any identity since. It isn't just Trubisky and / or Foles.... they struggle to run the ball and the playcalling never seems to make sense. 

On the Eagles while I agree their drafting hasn't been stellar since the Wentz draft I don't buy that it has been totally awful either. Too early to say on 2020 but in the 2017-2019 period they still picked up Dillard, Sanders, Goedart and Barnett. They are 4 of their best young players even now. Sanders is the best player on that offense at the moment. They have had some whiffs and they haven't been as good as earlier in Roseman's reign at finding mid and late round gems but it isn't like he is blowing his early picks every year. The problems in Philly to me are a combination of injuries - especially up front - and really bad play from their Quarterback. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, SirAndrew said:

On 12/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

We can only hope.

Wasn't too long ago when folks here sung the praises of the McCarthy regime and sung praises of his coaching staff especially his ability to develop QBs.   Where are those QBs again lol?

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, H2o said:

With all of these openings, if Saleh and Bienemy aren't HC's next year at this time then something is wrong. 

Troy Vincewnt may have sabotaged Bienemy's chances to become a HC outside of KC

since his qualities as an actual HC are unknown, may give teams pause to reward the Chiefs with 2  3rd round draft picks for the privilege of hiring Bienemy, under the Vincent plan

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Wasn't too long ago when folks here sung the praises of the McCarthy regime and sung praises of his coaching staff especially his ability to develop QBs.   Where are those QBs again lol?

Green Bay hiring McCarthy was a shock in itself.   In his last job prior he had been the OC of the 2005 Niners........who finished 30th in scoring and 32nd in yards.   It would have been like someone hiring Daboll to be a HC right after 2018 or one of the 3 NFL OC jobs he had been fired from. 

6 hours ago, spartacus said:

Troy Vincewnt may have sabotaged Bienemy's chances to become a HC outside of KC

since his qualities as an actual HC are unknown, may give teams pause to reward the Chiefs with 2  3rd round draft picks for the privilege of hiring Bienemy, under the Vincent plan

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I was wondering what another poster meant talking about giving up picks. 

On 12/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, Zerovoltz said:

Fangio is 100% safe.  This needs more context than just their record.  Denver has been devestated by injuries accross the roster.  Over half their cap is on IR.  Fangio has been able to cobble together scrappy defenses with JAGS and the players play hard for him.  

Also....Denver has no owner right now.  The are controlled by a trust while the Bowlen children figure out who, if any, can be in charge...it's a mess.  Elway has changed coaching staffs too much already and the trust won't be willing to spend more money they don't have for him to do it again this offseason.  

When Fangio was hired, the original plan was to have him provide stability compared to Vance Joseph, and get a VET QB to run the O at a competent level, field a stout D and win by running the football, play action passing and winning the TO batlle.  Flacco is who they got, he sucked....they turned to Drew Lock, who was never the plan..and that hasn't worked.  They'll sign a VET QB in the offseason and get back on track...Fangio keeps his job since they aren't going to be drafting a new QB.  He's not even on the hot seat.  

While I can agree with your opinion on the state of the Broncos and Fangio has a good chance of returning I disagree that they will "get back on track" quickly.

What Vet QB are they signing?  Dalton?  Elway is horrible at picking QBs that fit the team and Fangio is a pretty "uninspiring" HC.

The seem destined to be 3 or 4 in the division for a while yet.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, SirAndrew said:

I think he'd fire McCarthy if a big name becomes available. I couldn't see Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh being a Cowboys coach, but somebody like that. 

McCarthy didn't learn from what went wrong in GB. He's just doing what he's always done. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think he'd fire McCarthy if a big name becomes available. I couldn't see Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh being a Cowboys coach, but somebody like that. 

McCarthy didn't learn from what went wrong in GB. He's just doing what he's always done. 

I don’t think so.

I think much like Garett - Kellen Moore is the HC in waiting.  That is who will be the next coach - it just depends on when.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, dave mcbride said:

I just don't see Doug Pederson going. Not only did he win a SB, he has been in the playoffs three straight seasons. They won a playoff game in 2018 and got screwed last season because of Clowney's kill shot on Wentz (and Wentz played well down the stretch last season). I have to think a good head coach is allowed one down season by any sensible owner. 

Re McCarthy, he has been terrible, but on top of the game day stuff, his hiring of a tired retread for DC speaks of an inability to build a good staff. Nolan has been terrible and looks like a guy just cashing a paycheck now.  

Kinda disagree with the gist of what you are saying here. The Eagles were actually pretty good the last two seasons and this year have suffered a truly crazy number of o-line injuries. Their skill players are bad too, and they've also been decimated by injuries (Ertz, DeSean Jackson, and a hobbled and mostly absent Jeffries). It's such a bad personnel situation that I don't think any coach can fix it. They line can't block and the receivers can't separate.  

I don't know why Eagles GM Howie Roseman gets a pass. Their roster is terrible

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

I don't know why Eagles GM Howie Roseman gets a pass. Their roster is terrible

I don't think it is. I think they have issues at receiver and corner but it is not a terrible roster. Howie Roseman is a guy who prioritises the trenches and the have been obliterated with injuries on the oline to their two starting tackles and their best guard. But they are deep and talented on the Dline, I like their safeties, they have a good oline when healthy, good backs, two good tight ends..... you know what makes a decent roster look awful very quickly? A Quarterback doing the basics badly. The two biggest problems in Philly are injuries and Carson Wentz. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

I've read people in the NFL are not as high on Bienemy as the media is. I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt get a job

If he doesn't he needs to prove himself elsewhere as an OC to get out of Andy Reid's shadow.  You know Josh Allen and this offense would intrigue the hell out of him if Daboll leaves.

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bienemy is most likely getting a job.  Pederson received his Philly job after following under Reid, and he won a SB.  He also didn’t call plays as their OC.  There will be one of these owners who will want to have a part of the KC tree.

NFL gonna give KC 2 3rd round picks

unlikely anyone from AFC, if anyone at all

Has Richie Kotite put wheels on his walker yet?  That phone might be a ringing!  🤔

For that matter, I wonder if a soon to be unemployed head of a major North American nation ever gave professional football coaching a thought...😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

12 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Pederson, Lynn and Nagy all moved up a group today.

I think Lynn definitely moved into the "on the brink" category. I wouldn't have been totally shocked if it had happened today. He is now a dead man walking IMO unless they run the table the last 4 weeks and even that might not be enough to save him. 

Nagy and Pederson I think remain "in trouble" but Philly still has a playoff shot in that bonkers division (though a rapidly diminishing one). Pederson in particular is walking a tightrope with management in dealing with the Wentz situation. I think there is a bit more sympathy in the building in Chicago for Nagy, but the reality is they have lost 6 straight and they do not have a Quarterback. The GM is almost certain to be out and I don't see them handcuffing a new GM to Nagy. His might be one of those firings though where they want to hire a GM first and then take a view on Nagy. 

On 12/6/2020 at 7:55 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Bienemy is most likely getting a job.  Pederson received his Philly job after following under Reid, and he won a SB.  He also didn’t call plays as their OC.  There will be one of these owners who will want to have a part of the KC tree.

I hope he doesnt come to the Jets, his success is because of Reid, we need to stay away from him

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Brady out of Carolina. He adjusted very well when CM was out. We need a fresh, young mind. Someone who knows todays game.

Hmm. I  like Joe Brady. Think 31 years old with one year as an NFL OC it is a big gamble though, especially as his offense is only 20th in the league. Personally I think the Jets need a leader first and foremost rather than chasing an Xs and Os guy. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I  like Joe Brady. Think 31 years old with one year as an NFL OC it is a big gamble though, especially as his offense is only 20th in the league. Personally I think the Jets need a leader first and foremost rather than chasing an Xs and Os guy. 

I dont want a retread coach, example=McCarthy

1 minute ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I dont want a retread coach, example=McCarthy

No I wouldn't go the retread route either. Just think they need someone who is going to come in and establish a culture not just someone who is going to draw up nice gameplans.