Tua Tagovailoa - Future of Miami?

BillsM@fia

9 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He looked like a deer in headlights out there. He didn’t look confident or poised and his throws were way off mark. I think he will develop into a solid QB that is injury prone

OMG, it’s one freakin game.  Remember how Allen looked in the beginning.  He was up and down and grew over time.  Tua will be fine.  Between last year and this year Miami had/has 21 draft picks and spent $235.8 mil. Last year.  They will be our competition as we go down the road.  It’s such an outside chance they beat us in the divisional race, but in time, they will be good.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

Maybe possible they are seeing something in practice but want to confirm it live. 

That something could be good or bad. 

56 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

OMG, it’s one freakin game.  Remember how Allen looked in the beginning.  He was up and down and grew over time.  Tua will be fine.  Between last year and this year Miami had/has 21 draft picks and spent $235.8 mil. Last year.  They will be our competition as we go down the road.  It’s such an outside chance they beat us in the divisional race, but in time, they will be good.

I know it's just one game, I'm just breaking down how he played in his 1st game. Only time will tell with Tua but if he is only just a solid QB it will definitely set Miami back in their rebuild. I still think the Patriots will reload with talent after this year and will most likely be the team that challenges us for the next 3 years for the division. Miami traded away some very good players that will not be easily replaced. 

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I know it's just one game, I'm just breaking down how he played in his 1st game. Only time will tell with Tua but if he is only just a solid QB it will definitely set Miami back in their rebuild. I still think the Patriots will reload with talent after this year and will most likely be the team that challenges us for the next 3 years for the division. Miami traded away some very good players that will not be easily replaced. 

No worries Ktulu as wasn’t directed to you at all, moreso others giving these knee jerk Reactions to one game.  Even after the season, they still won’t make up their mind on Tua for a couple of years.  Just using Allen as an exam place, comp.% goes from 53 to 59, to now I think it’s 67+%.  Ross for the most part isn’t a meddling owner, and Flores doesn’t come across this way either.  

The Pats May improve next year, but all of these opt out contracts hit next year especially if we have a vaccine, and the Cheats will be cap starved again.  They can only do so much through the draft and won’t have the $ for a bunch of free agents unless they pick up a couple of old guys who are sun setting their career.

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

It worked for the Cardinals.  It was pretty clear Rosen was pretty bad.  I would also probably take Lawrence if I was either the Jets or Miami sitting there.  However, I don't think it's the right thing to do most of the time.  Qbs need time to learn and progress.  If you sit there and draft new QBs every year because they played mediocre their first year then you are probably wasting a ton of draft picks and your team will suffer from lack of talent.

I think the cardinals situation was unique in that they changed HC after Rosen was drafted, that HC offensive system was a perfect fit for Murray, and they had the #1 pick. I also don’t think the cardinals ever truly were in love with Rosen when they drafted him, he report was they wanted Allen and settled. Maybe it’s true that Tua was never Miami’s guy and they settled. But I feel they should give him some time. Not like he’s some scrub. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the cardinals situation was unique in that they changed HC after Rosen was drafted, that HC offensive system was a perfect fit for Murray, and they had the #1 pick. I also don’t think the cardinals ever truly were in love with Rosen when they drafted him, he report was they wanted Allen and settled. Maybe it’s true that Tua was never Miami’s guy and they settled. But I feel they should give him some time. Not like he’s some scrub. 

KK knew Murray since high school and believed him to be a perfect fit for his offense: I think even if the Cards drafted Allen Murray would have been the selection. 

They get a ton of praise for this, but I don’t think it’s a good process to be giving up on first round QBs after a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Doc, please forgive me, I am not taking this out on you, because I dig you, it's just I feel like there is a communication breakdown with this, and I will put the blame on me.

So...I know it's way too early and I agree on the Jets finishing last.

Here's the thing for everybody, we are not talking about right now...one game into a kids career. The draft isn't this week, and we don't know for sure who is going to finish in last place.  Everything is pre-supposed on a) if Tua shows little or middling progress, and b) if the opportunity is there to get Lawrence.

I for one would not sit on a player of Lawrence's calibur in comparison to Tua.  I think he is way better.  The Cardinals in a similar situation decided it was worth it to pick another QB.  I think they made the right move.  If it arose for Miami and I were there I wouldn't blink at making the same move.   I wouldn't see what I could get in exchange for what could be strongly possible Andrew Luck or better player.

If Tua shows little or middling progress and the Dols somehow get the first overall pick, I don't think they can pass-up Lawrence.  I also don't think the Jets can either when they do get the first overall, but listening to ESPN Radio on the way to work yesterday, Keyshawn Johnson thinks they're still all-in on Darnold, and a Jets beat reporter (didn't catch her name) said the same thing.  So anything is possible.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

If Tua shows little or middling progress and the Dols somehow get the first overall pick, I don't think they can pass-up Lawrence.  I also don't think the Jets can either when they do get the first overall, but listening to ESPN Radio on the way to work yesterday, Keyshawn Johnson thinks they're still all-in on Darnold, and a Jets beat reporter (didn't catch her name) said the same thing.  So anything is possible.

👍

and Doc, please if I seemed rude (I hope I wasn’t), it was just a bad week of work and I was sour.

I really try not to let any of that stuff seep into any online stuff.

19 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

👍

and Doc, please if I seemed rude (I hope I wasn’t), it was just a bad week of work and I was sour.

I really try not to let any of that stuff seep into any online stuff.

I rarely take offense and if/when I do, I'm just as rude.  I just didn't see/pick-up on the "little or middling progress" and I don't see the Jets winning a game, ensuring them of having the 1st overall pick.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

Doesn't Miami have Houston's first round pick?  Houston is currently #3 in the Draft Choice Sweepstakes behind the Jets and the  Giants, but they've played 1 fewer game and there's plenty of football left......Miami seems to be committed to the "catch and release" strategy for finding a QB, so if they don't like what they see from Tua they may feel owning Houston's pick gives them an opportunity.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I mean look at Rosen. I think the way the Cardinals handled it was correct. This would be the same type of thing, just without the staff change.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Doesn't Miami have Houston's first round pick?  Houston is currently #3 in the Draft Choice Sweepstakes behind the Jets and the  Giants, but they've played 1 fewer game and there's plenty of football left......Miami seems to be committed to the "catch and release" strategy for finding a QB, so if they don't like what they see from Tua they may feel owning Houston's pick gives them an opportunity.

I don't know about that statement.  They gave Tannehill 6 full years including a large contract extension, and while they traded-away Rosen, they only invested a late-2nd rounder for him and he proved to suck with both them and the Cardinals.  Tua as the 5th overall pick is a much greater investment and considering he was the 2nd QB taken, ahead of Herbert who is looking like a stud, they'll probably want to give Tua a little more time before moving on and having egg on their faces.

But again, I think it's all fantasy because the 1st overall will be the Jets' pick.  The real question is will they take Lawrence?

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know about that statement.  They gave Tannehill 6 full years including a large contract extension, and while they traded-away Rosen, they only invested a late-2nd rounder for him and he proved to suck with both them and the Cardinals.  Tua as the 5th overall pick is a much greater investment and considering he was the 2nd QB taken, ahead of Herbert who is looking like a stud, they'll probably want to give Tua a little more time before moving on and having egg on their faces.

But again, I think it's all fantasy because the 1st overall will be the Jets' pick.  The real question is will they take Lawrence?

"....I still think Darnold is going to end up being the best QB from the 2018 draft when it's all said and done. In fact many insiders have said this is who the Bills really wanted but had to settle for Allen. Gase is a decent coach and they had a pretty solid roster when healthy before any offseason additions and draft picks, you can argue they probably should have swept the Bills this year anyway..."

Why would the Jets get rid of Darnold when he is the top QB from a decent 2018 draft? 🙂

Edited by prissythecat
italicize
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think Flores is the new Sheriff in town who has changed their views on how to proceed

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Flores is the new Sheriff in town who has changed their views on how to proceed

True and I think that played a part in dealing Rosen.  But I would figure he was heavily involved in the decision to draft Tua and that changes things.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

True and I think that played a part in dealing Rosen.  But I would figure he was heavily involved in the decision to draft Tua and that changes things.

I think Flores is a highly competitive coach who wants to win.  I think he was a bit working at cross-purposes to Grier last year, though Grier presumably understands it's hard to reboot a team from a true "tank"

Grier is now on his 2nd head coach and his clock must be ticking.  There look to be some good QB coming out, and the Dolphins have the chance to both succeed AND get a high draft pick.

So while I see your point, I also think the Fins are quite capable of Arizonaing Tua if they don't like what they see after 8 games.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They do have Houston’s pick but I’m pretty sure that Houston won’t lose more games than the Jets. I think it all comes down to whether the jets decide to move fwd with Darnold with Lawrence sitting there on silver platter. . And even if they do, they won’t be trading the pick in the division. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They do have Houston’s pick but I’m pretty sure that Houston won’t lose more games than the Jets. I think it all comes down to whether the jets decide to move fwd with Darnold with Lawrence sitting there on silver platter. . And even if they do, they won’t be trading the pick in the division. 

Besides whether the Jets would move on from Darnold if they have the first overall pick, another good question is whether the Dolphins would move on from Tua if Lawrence is gone?

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Besides whether the Jets would move on from Darnold if they have the first overall pick, another good question is whether the Dolphins would move on from Tua if Lawrence is gone?

It’s a good QB draft but at the same time, would any of the other guys be evaluated higher than tua was? They have the exact same scouting dept and regime in place so that would be them saying - we think Fields/Lance/Wilson/Trask etc is so much better than tua that we are going to use this pick on him instead of, say, in the best OT or WR in the draft to build around the guy you just took. Not what I would do but I’ve said my piece. 

8 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

As great as todays win is, I'm asking all Bills fans to rationally look at what Miami's doing.

This team is way ahead of schedule and looks to be better than where Buffalo was last year in comparing both teams and the quality of wins.

And yes next week's game is a  must win for 2 reasons:

1) To show they are as good or better than Miami by also winning in Arizona

2) To ensure they will stay ahead of Miami in the division at 8-2 through the bye as Miami will be 7-3 at that point.

Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Was really hoping  that Arizona would handle the Dolphins.  Miami has a pretty soft schedule the rest of the way (they are finished with the NFC West, finished 3-1). That QB change was controversial, but has worked out so far. And they are decent on defense. 

Just now, Greybeard said:

The final game of the year on Jan. 3rd is the Fins.   This may end up being the deciding game for the division winner.

Next week is a big indicator. If the Bills win next week it's going to be tough for Miami to catch them no matter what Miami does. If Bills lose and Dolphins win then it'll be interesting. 

27 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

As great as todays win is, I'm asking all Bills fans to rationally look at what Miami's doing.

This team is way ahead of schedule and looks to be better than where Buffalo was last year in comparing both teams and the quality of wins.

2) To ensure they will stay ahead of Miami in the division at 8-2 through the bye as Miami will be 7-3 at that point.

Buffalo is still in good position here. Pittsburgh and Arizona are the hard games left for Buffalo, and Miami hasn't played KC or Vegas yet. Outside of that, the schedule is largely common opponents and the head to head matchup. Miami is also 2 games behind in the Division tiebreaker.

25 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

HIFQ, great point, but you are preaching to the choir.  You are talking to a guy who posted here during the summer that the Dolphins would win no less than 7 or 8 games and would finish second in the division and got laughed at. 

I also stated a few weeks ago that the division would be decided on the final game of the season and as much as I don’t like that I am not changing that opinion now.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Maybe we can say the Bills are better because they already beat the Dolphins.

But that would be ridiculous, right?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

They beat Miami in Miami.  The Bills already showed they were better.  As for the rest... most reasonable people already viewed Miami as a solid team, well coached, and on the upswing.  Didn't need you to drool over them to see it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

What sucks about this scenario is that the Bills will be playing on essentially a neutral field for the division title.

Ok so you already have your Dolphins winning against the chargers ? Wow it’s like the 85 Bears. I’m gonna guess the Bills will focus on the Cards and are not worried about playing the Dolphins just yet. While the fans won’t be in the stands I would argue that weather that JA is used to might impact Tua. They better win the next four because the last four are going to be very tough on the phins. If you think the Pats will be easy your crazy.