Tua Tagovailoa - Future of Miami?

BillsM@fia

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/57496/tua-tagovailoa

I was originally critical when they decided to bench Fitz.  Apparently they want to see if Tua is their guy and may draft his replacement as soon as next years draft.  They have stockpiled picks and have the Houston Texans (1-6) first round pick.

I applaud this mentality by Miami.  I feel a lot of teams wouldn't pull the trigger the very next draft after selecting a quarterback at #5 overall the previous year.  The Dolphins seem to play hard for Flores and their arrow, IMO, is pointing up ^ . 

Edited by BillsM@fia

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

Yolo, I agree, but man I am not saying Merril Hodge is an authority, but on NFL Radio this morning he was hard on Tua and his future...can't make the out throws...makes poor decisions...not the strongest arm...and may be only an adequate pro.

Surprisingly so.  They usually go easy on first time rookies.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yolo, I agree, but man I am not saying Merril Hodge is an authority, but on NFL Radio this morning he was hard on Tua and his future...can't make the out throws...makes poor decisions...not the strongest arm...and may be only an adequate pro.

Surprisingly so.  They usually go easy on first time rookies.

That’s crazy. He’s played one game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

They don't run the ball well, and their offensive line isn't great.  These are the things you want for a rookie QB to be successful. 

The reason their offense was doing alright had a lot to do with fitz quick release.  So... without some changes here i see it failing.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He talked about the game, but he was primarily talking about what he saw from him in college.

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me. 

I hear you...but please don't shoot the messenger.  I am telling you only what I heard this morning from Merril Hodge.

I haven't expressed an opinion yet.  To that point, I worry he will be very good, and would hope that he isn't. 

However, if they have a shot at lawrence...

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Injury history and the game looked to big for him last week.  It's still really early but maybe Miami didnt like what they say in training camp either.

I have no criticism with selecting him at #5 last year.  It's a QB driven league. 

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hear...but please don't shoot the messenger.  I am telling you only what I heard this morning from Merril Hodge.

I haven't expressed an opinion yet.  To that point, I worry he will be very good, and would hope that he isn't. 

However, if they have a shot at lawrence...

I don’t see how they would have a shot at him. Only team I could see passing on him and open to trading the pick to Miami would be bengals or chargers and they already have 2 wins 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see how they would have a shot at him. Only team I could see passing on him and open to trading the pick to Miami would be bengals or chargers and they already have 2 wins 

Miami has Houston's first pick and Houston has 1 win.

I'm sorry, I thought we all knew this.  I should have mentioned it earlier.

Edit:  If the jaguars beat Houston then the Texans will be tied for having the 2nd pick overall.

I think what is hurting the Tua perception is/are Burrows and Herbert.  No one was saying after their first game, hey it's just one game.  They have played well beyond their rookie ceiling.  And the league is taking notice.  Along comes a draft with a plethora of QBs and you can't afford to be wrong especially with all the draft capital the Dolphins have.  

And I would also add Kyle Murray and Josh Rosen also impact thinking.  

Edited by wjag

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see what you are saying, but imagine if Arizona stuck to that strategy with Rosen and didn't draft Murray? ( I understand Murray was the 1st pick off the board)

Say if Miami has a chance to get Fields as they got tons of draft ammunition and they think he is the guy and aren't completely sold on Tua, I would drat fields if I were them.

Washington made the mistake of sticking with Haskins. Sure Chase Young is an elite talent, but I bet you if they have that pick back, they take Herbert now. QB> Any position.

Edited by BillsFan130

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Edit:  If the jaguars beat Houston then the Texans will be tied for having the 2nd pick overall.

Ok I didn’t realize Houston still only had 1 win. I knew they had their pick but figured they had a few wins. Haven’t paid attention to them much. In that case if they have the 1st pick I could see that happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Ok I didn’t realize Houston still only had 1 win. I knew they had their pick but figured they had a few wins. Haven’t paid attention to them much. In that case if they have the 1st pick I could see that happening. 

Yes, and let's be clear as we all know...ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE FIRST PICK.

Man, brother, I think the jets are going to hang on to a winless season like grim death.  I can't imagine anything being more important to that organization right now.  

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes, and let's be clear as we all know...ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE FIRST PICK.

Man, brother, I think the jets are going to hang on to a winless season like grim death.  I can't imagine anything being more important to that organization right now.  

I don’t see a single win on the jets schedule. I wonder if Belichick throws the game on MNF

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With the way Fitz was playing their was no reason to put Tua in there. He would be learning more watching Fitz right now than actually starting. 

Seems like a silly thing to say with such certainty? 

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can see some logic in it. Eight games might not be enough to show that he IS the guy, but it might be enough to show that he's NOT the guy, or at least may not be the guy. Given that they're loaded with picks, if they draft another QB and both turn out to be good, they can always trade one of them. Either way, they've doubled their chances at finding a franchise QB, and since both would be on rookie contracts, they don't eat up too much cap space.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I can see some logic in it. Eight games might not be enough to show that he IS the guy, but it might be enough to show that he's NOT the guy, or at least may not be the guy. Given that they're loaded with picks, if they draft another QB and both turn out to be good, they can always trade one of them. Either way, they've doubled their chances at finding a franchise QB, and since both would be on rookie contracts, they don't eat up too much cap space.

It sounds good on the surface but I think it would be tough to manage practice reps and game reps to where anyone could determine they both turn out to be good. It does kind of remind me of when the WFT drafted both RG3 and cousins. Just think it invites division and controversy, while providing competition. It works in college because the QBs end up moving on regularly and you need to sign one every year. JMO if they have the pick and want to take Lawrence they should trade Tua before or during the draft 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Miami’s future? Maybe 

They want him to have as many reps as possible as soon as possible,  they need to know if he has potential right now, if he totally screws the pooch, then they will look to replace him, but they can’t make that decision without playing him, it really is that straight forward imo.

Oh, and Fuh K Miami 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Seems like a silly thing to say with such certainty? 

After rewatching that game the Fins have a much better chance to win football games with Fitz. I’m not for throwing QB’s in early and I’m not for letting them sit the entire season. The HC needs to be able to evaluate and make the correct decision. Based on what I saw my opinion is that Fitz should be starting and Tua watching from the sidelines learning. I get the feeling Tua is not a baptism by fire type QB. 

36 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Houston has a better chance to finish with more wins than the Jags or Giants.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

After rewatching that game the Fins have a much better chance to win football games with Fitz. I’m not for throwing QB’s in early and I’m not for letting them sit the entire season. The HC needs to be able to evaluate and make the correct decision. Based on what I saw my opinion is that Fitz should be starting and Tua watching from the sidelines learning. I get the feeling Tua is not a baptism by fire type QB. 

My point wasn’t about whether Miami has a better chance at winning with Fitz rather than Tua.

It was the statement that Tua would be learning more from the sidelines than playing. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

My point wasn’t about whether Miami has a better chance at winning with Fitz rather than Tua.

It was the statement that Tua would be learning more from the sidelines than playing. 

I don’t think he is a baptism by fire type of QB. I don’t think he is ready to be starting right now. Sometimes when people are force feed too much information they lock up and don’t really absorb what they are being taught. I think he would be better served watching Fitz play but that’s just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's 'the Rosen Syndrome'.  For most teams, the rookie phenom QB is now on the 'put up, or shut up' timetable. 😁

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Houston has a better chance to finish with more wins than the Jags or Giants.  

Agreed, but the point being where they were right now and the outside possibility, however remote, that the biggest prize in the QB derby, could potentially be available to Miami.

The hypothetical being what if they ended up with the number one as they have houston's...would they consider Trevor Lawrence or just pass him up?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have experience with Wrong #1 drafts knowing they may wash out in NFL so if they believe this is not a season which they can play deep in playoffs I can see it.

No way HIQ on Dolphins 🐬 thread! The franchise is up and coming. I think I would pump the brakes on the data and how it’s clear they will win 10 games this year. Flores just stated this week that this is not an audition for Tua. It suggests this year that they feel he gives them a better chance to win now! Fitz was playing well and I think it’s a big risk. Incredible confidence and pressure on him to perform. As I’ve said let’s have this discussion around week 16. I will say now it’s a mistake. Just like picking Tua over Herbert. 

2 hours ago, BillsM@fia said:

I was originally critical when they decided to bench Fitz.  Apparently they want to see if Tua is their guy and may draft his replacement as soon as next years draft.  They have stockpiled picks and have the Houston Texans (1-6) first round pick.

I applaud this mentality by Miami.  I feel a lot of teams wouldn't pull the trigger the very next draft after selecting a quarterback at #5 overall the previous year.  The Dolphins seem to play hard for Flores and their arrow, IMO, is pointing up ^ . 

you don't say.....

2 hours ago, BillsM@fia said:

My feeling/opinion...if Miami knew Tua was their guy, I think he'd sit and learn this entire season.  Miami doesn't know if he is.  That's why he's playing this early in his career.  They hope he is, but they're just not sure and they need to find out so they can draft accordingly.