Knox activated from Covid Reserve; back to practice

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The reason this is great news and important to the Bills future:

*  Despite the drops, on paper Knox remains the most dangerous receiving TE on the Bills.  His speed & athleticism force D coordinators to account for him in ways they don't need to for Smith & Kroft.  Knox has the potential to have a big pass catching day against the Seahawks.

*  The Bills need to know if Knox is a star at TE.  They can't find this out if he doesn't play.  If Knox doesn't pan out the Bills will have to address the TE position in free agency. If he does pan out they can use the TE free agency spot to fix some glaring needs on defense.

Fair and good points

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Knox vs. Smith (or whoever we had when knox had covid) is a big upgrade though.  Can play some snaps like the patriots did with develin/burkhead/gronk - spread them out wide and pick your favorite matchups.  Basically forces them to play man, or show blitz.

I liked the DS/Moss on the field at the same time sets too.  

NE barely played man and didn’t blitz much either.  

The new anti Josh defense is soft zone. Josh can beat you over the top and find guys who beat their man.

What we learned from the lest few weeks of defense scheming is he isn’t quite at surgical zone beater just yet, which is the final evolution and the bills are just learning how to run the ball and beat the zone underneath. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, akcash said:

Knox has on bad drop this year. Other than that his only flaw has been his availability. I'm very excited to see his second half of the year. Dude just needs to get on the field.

Everyone is going to drop some during the season. Still, I hope they allowed a Jugs machine with him in isolation. Nothing else to do! :)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Having a nice physical runner like him might be useful against these 6 DB looks they’ve been getting. 

I could even see giving him handoffs like patsies used the killer... 

Good idea.  We need his physicality!

10 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

Let’s gets this guy back so we can stop with the we need a tight end stuff. Knox is going to be a stud. 

We’ve been saying that he’s going to be a stud since he’s been drafted , for every great catch/ play he makes there’s ALWAYS that one easy catch that he drops where it should have been a big play , 

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The new anti Josh defense is soft zone. Josh can beat you over the top and find guys who beat their man.

What we learned from the lest few weeks of defense scheming is he isn’t quite at surgical zone beater just yet, which is the final evolution and the bills are just learning how to run the ball and beat the zone underneath. 

I feel like a team isn't going to be able to play a soft zone in a heavier set like that.  And if you split TEs and RBs out wide, they'll likely man up as it's unexpected.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's the thing though: 

If asked to list the best skill players on the Bills offense, how do you rank these guys? 

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Singletary

Moss

Davis

McKensie

Kroft

Knox

If you're running 2 TEs, it means someone else is seated. 

The WRs are fine in that order and nobody else is really missed in terms of big play ability, so it’s all moot.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is if you want to run a 2 TE set, who gets a seat? 

Are you going to go 0-2 with your RB on the bench?

or are you going to go 1-2 with Beas or Brown on the bench?

You don’t have to bench that many, 5 linemen, QB = 6, 5 skill positions left.  2 TE, 2 WR, Rb. Or Spread it out 2TE, 3 WR.  Or power football 2 TE, 2 RB and a WR.  There are plenty of options.  You act as if everyone on this team is a difference maker.  The only real talent at the skill position is at WR.  The only game breakers are Diggs (who’s really more of the steady contribution guy), Brown and Knox.  Nobody else is a threat for chunk yardage.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Kroft has been unspectacular but steady

He has been solid to slightly above average, just what we had hoped to see when he signed here.  His biggest issue has been availability.  For a small stretch here, he’s been healthy and playing well.

22 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The reason this is great news and important to the Bills future:

*  Despite the drops, on paper Knox remains the most dangerous receiving TE on the Bills.  His speed & athleticism force D coordinators to account for him in ways they don't need to for Smith & Kroft.  Knox has the potential to have a big pass catching day against the Seahawks.

The Bills need to know if Knox is a star at TE.  They can't find this out if he doesn't play.  If Knox doesn't pan out the Bills will have to address the TE position in free agency. If he does pan out they can use the TE free agency spot to fix some glaring needs on defense.

I'll spare everyone the drama- he isn't

21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Honestly, he can take a look at what Wilson is going to do to our zone this week and hopefully duplicate that. 

Knox should get back on the field and do something positive. Between little bumps and bruises along with Covid, this guy has been a talented athlete who drops important throws and misses blocks. I like Knox, but the clock is running on how long you can depend on him warranting a roster spot without going out and getting a tight end. Maybe Kroft and Kumerow can make the decision easier. 

On 11/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, 4merper4mer said:

On the injury report or on the skill report?

Harsh, yet funny, 👍

Go Bills!!!

Article on Knox in TBN:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/inside-the-bills-with-covid-19-behind-him-dawson-knox-sees-better-days-ahead/article_d76558d4-2542-11eb-bc87-3fe714726c9c.html

Not much that hasn't been covered here in different threads, just pullling together what McDermott and John Brown said in interviews:

"I've never been on the Covid list myself, so I really can't totally understand it, but I can appreciate and empathize with the challenge of being on that list and the challenge of being quarantined a little bit, as well,” coach Sean McDermott said. “That's not an easy thing to do for anyone, let alone a guy that's used to being around his teammates. It's been a little bit of an adverse start to his season midway through the year, but I'm hopeful and encouraged by what I've seen this week to this point and looking forward to watching him play this week and think he's going to have a great week.”

Knox could certainly use it. In the five games he has played, Knox has just six catches for 93 yards. He’s failed to reach the end zone to this point after a rookie year in which he finished with 28 catches for 388 yards and a pair of touchdowns. At 6 feet, 4 inches and 254 pounds, Knox has the prototypical size-and-speed combination that teams look for at the position. With teams devoting attention to wide receivers Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley, big things were expected of Knox.

Confirming he had symptoms but only for one day.  The training staff supported him with programs to follow and exercise bands, but he was winded when he returned to practice because being confined to his apartment (I would have thought he could skip rope or something?  aren't there ways to keep an aerobic base?  but I suppose that's different than trying to outrun Tre White)

Hmmm... if Josh is "Fatty" at 6'5", 238...wonder what Diggs calls Knox at 6'4", 254?

Potential is great, but at some point it needs to turn into production, and the NFL is very much a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league.

“It's in his control. He has the ability – and I don't like to use that word, ability, as it relates to anyone, but at the end of the day, you've got to get the job done, and Dawson's very well aware of that,” McDermott said. “He has the skill, and we've got at a minimum, potentially we feel like, seven more games to go here in the regular season and can't wait to watch him and his career really take off in the next seven games.”

“My biggest goal is just to do everything I can to help the team win. Make sure my assignments are done well. Whether that's blocking or route running or catching or running, just making sure that I'm doing the best that I can to benefit the team and help us get to a win.

We'd like to see that too, Dawson.

On 11/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, thebandit27 said:

And that game-changing fumble after a 38-yard play in Miami.

And that pathetic block on Jamal Adams that almost got Josh killed.

Sorry but if Knox was a walk on he would have been cut a long time ago.

Everyone says he only caught a handful of passes in college and never scored a TD like its a surprise.  Gee I wonder why....

For a team that preaches consistency, the dude is anything but.  The way I characterize Knox is fantastic athlete, poor football player.  Beane is a gambler, he hit on Josh, missed on Knox.  

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

And that pathetic block on Jamal Adams that almost got Josh killed.

Sorry but if Knox was a walk on he would have been cut a long time ago.

Everyone says he only caught a handful of passes in college and never scored a TD like its a surprise.  Gee I wonder why....

For a team that preaches consistency, the dude is anything but.  The way I characterize Knox is fantastic athlete, poor football player.  Beane is a gambler, he hit on Josh, missed on Knox.  

his end zone hot rod celly with Josh is the centerpiece of his ‘20 highlight reel. 

• Like (+1) 1