Jalen Ramsey extension with Rams - 5 years/105 mill

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I expected Tre to give a hometown discount.  McDermott and Beane are selling TEAM all the time, and part of TEAM is the beat players playing for less than top dollar. 

I think you're reaching here. Tre set the salary and guaranteed $$$ bar, there was no discount. Did Aaron Donald also take a discount before the Khalil Mack signing? Not at all.

What other franchises, beside the Patriots, have multiple elite players taking below market contracts? The Chiefs, Seahawks, Eagles, Saints, etc. aren't exactly pinching pennies.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gotta give a gm two shots at a ab. Most QBs fail, even ones picked high.   So missing on one qb choice shouldn't end the guys job.  

Even Whaley got two shots, and Beane is clearly a better gm. 

Whaley didn’t get too shots.  And I would argue this roster is almost exactly like the 2014 one.  If that 2014/2015 team had a legit franchise guy, they were SB contenders.

and this is a long way off but the idea that a GM should get two shots at missing on a qb seems crazy.  But hopefully Allen is the guy and then we extend Beane.  But it’s crazy to rush it at this point. 

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who cares?  Should the Bears GM get another shot after Mitch T because he’s buddies with the coach?

i agree Beane has done a good job but no matter how we try to make this, it’s all about QB.  To miss  on the highest drafted qb would be a huge miss.  The 2015 roster was awesome but Whaley couldn’t find a franchise qb.

if Allen gets off to a good start, extend Beane.  But I don’t know why you want to rush it.  

Higher cost of living in LA. 😎

but yeah, this deal looks really dumb. 

Another reason not to rush an extension for Beane.  Things change quickly in the nfl. 

I'm 100% on board with Beane at this point.  If Allen's a miss, i want him picking the next QB to try and take Allen's spot.  The marriage between GM and coach is as best as its probably ever been in Buffalo, I wouldn't mess with it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

This is pure speculation, but if Beane and McD could pull off hometown discounts this early, that be amazing.

I'm struggling with this one...what other franchises, beside the Patriots, have multiple elite players taking below market contracts?

The Chiefs, Seahawks, Eagles, Saints, etc. aren't exactly pinching pennies.

It's about culture. The discount is completely consistent with culture.  Guys really want to be on this team.  It's a special personal experience, almost like being in a cult. I think we will continue to see it.  

Why is Lawson gone? Wouldn't give a discount, put himself before the team.  

Listen to McDermott and the players. This is not your ordinary team culture. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He would have had to wait a year to get that deal, imo.   The whole point was that he got that deal done a year sooner rather than a potentially bigger deal later.

Tre would have had to wait two years. When we exercised his 5th year option, he was under contracted thru the ‘21 season and he would have had to wait until March of ‘22 to become a free agent. A lot can happen to a player over two full seasons of football and TW was smart to get the security now. 

I love having White on the Bills, but honestly, is there very much difference between the top four or five CBs?  They're all great players.  The status thing of being the highest paid guy might make a difference somewhere, but I don't see how White or any of the others will ever spend all the money they're getting paid.  White's in a great situation in Buffalo, and he has no need to rock the boat OR to break the salary cap budget and make it hard to keep other players on board.  Good on him to "settle" for these vast riches, when he could probably have gotten more somewhere else. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I said it a few weeks ago.  I expected Tre to give a hometown discount.  McDermott and Beane are selling TEAM all the time, and part of TEAM is the beat players playing for less than top dollar.  

Best part is he didn't take a discount really. He just wanted to be the highest paid DB and Beane made said dream a reality. Tre even said he knew it wasn't going to last long but he was happy regardless. So it wasn't truly a discount but rather a great contract which was soon after hopped over by another GM

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's about culture. The discount is completely consistent with culture.  Guys really want to be on this team.  It's a special personal experience, almost like being in a cult. I think we will continue to see it.  

We haven't won a playoff game yet, but you think this organization has the clout to ask their star players for discounts? I'm not buying it. If this was the case, I think you'd hear some rumblings from agents about the Bills being cheap.

11 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I think you're reaching here. Tre set the salary and guaranteed $$$ bar, there was no discount. Did Aaron Donald also take a discount before the Khalil Mack signing? Not at all.

What other franchises, beside the Patriots, have multiple elite players taking below market contracts? The Chiefs, Seahawks, Eagles, Saints, etc. aren't exactly pinching pennies.

I think pretty much everyone knew White's deal was a discount once terms were disclosed

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

While I fully agree with your points on culture and this being a team players want to be a part of, it is fair to say that TW gave a hometown discount in retrospect only. Signing record deals just isn’t part of the hometown discount formula. Even if that record deal is surpassed shortly thereafter.

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

So he reset the annual & guaranteed $$$ for a cornerback AND took a discount?

These are mutually exclusive - lets pick one and roll with it.

As has been discussed, any top guy guy getting a new contract is always an auto-reset. They are definitely NOT mutually exclusive

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gotta give a gm two shots at a ab. Most QBs fail, even ones picked high.   So missing on one qb choice shouldn't end the guys job.  

Even Whaley got two shots, and Beane is clearly a better gm. 

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley didn’t get too shots.  And I would argue this roster is almost exactly like the 2014 one.  If that 2014/2015 team had a legit franchise guy, they were SB contenders.

Did Whaley even get 1 shot?

EJ was still technically a Nix pick.

What other drafted QBs am I missing here?

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

More than Tre getting more, Ramsey shd be getting less. WIth a 175 mill salary cap next year -  to afford Goff and Darnold and Ramsey (about 75 mill on just these 3 in  2021 and 2022), now the Rams need to play cap roulette.

Edit: bold part added

Right regarding Goff + Ramsey. This just seems unsustainable. They're stuck with Goff through 2022; the dead cap hit is just too huge before then. I don't know why you'd want to tie up even more money with Ramsey AND Aaron Donald (I doubt he's tradeable now), particularly given the division they're in -- it just seems like their window slammed shut after 2019.

EDIT: On second thought, Donald may be tradeable ... his contract is up with an 8 million dollar buyout after 2021 - but why sign Ramsey if you're gonna trade him?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

As has been discussed, any top guy guy getting a new contract is always an auto-reset. They are definitely NOT mutually exclusive

We're acting like we signed Tre for $42M over 4 years...THAT is what a discount looks like.

Most contracts look like a bargain over time, and I expect TWs and Ramseys to age well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

We're acting like we signed Tre for $42M over 4 years...THAT is what discount looks like.

Most contracts look like a bargain over time, including TWs and Ramseys.

So true. It will be interesting to see what Lattimore and Humphrey get soon.

Edited by K-9

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is EXACTLY why we should have been thrilled that Tre was first. If Tre signed tomorrow he was going to be an AAV of $21.5M. No matter what, he was going to sign for the biggest CB contract ever. That’s how it works. The market gets reset. With Ramsey, Humphrey, Lattimore all in line for a new deal it was huge for Tre to be first. 

It helps that Tre was okay with being first.  He obviously wants to be with the organization.

29 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

We haven't won a playoff game yet, but you think this organization has the clout to ask their star players for discounts? I'm not buying it. If this was the case, I think you'd hear some rumblings from agents about the Bills being cheap.

I think McDermott is way into their heads, and they're only drafting guys with that kind of attitude.  True, they haven't won big yet, but they believe they will.  I think what's happening in Buffalo is unique. 

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and this is a long way off but the idea that a GM should get two shots at missing on a qb seems crazy.  But hopefully Allen is the guy and then we extend Beane.  But it’s crazy to rush it at this point. 

The offense supporting cast in 2014 was not that great. The Oline was 2 good starters in Glenn and Wood and not much else and the RB corps were damaged goods. So the offense is significantly more talented now outside of the QB position 

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think McDermott is way into their heads, and they're only drafting guys with that kind of attitude.  True, they haven't won big yet, but they believe they will.  I think what's happening in Buffalo is unique. 

It's great in theory, but I just don't see it as plausible.

It's not reasonable to expect elite players to sign discounted deals for their second contracts. Late stage veterans? Different conversation.

Tre is as selfless as they come on and off the field, but that doesn't mean he should take a lowball offer, especially for a team with no cap issues.

I wrote in the other thread, but it’s not really $17.5 mil./yr.  It’s just like what happened to Dawkins where you add the rookie year to his 4 year deal.  I was shocked the 5th year counted when reported by Sal, Brownie, and Tasker as well as Vic, it is 6 years.  I was wondering how the heck do we have him locked up until 2025, and when you add the $3.2 mil., to the $15 mil., 5th yr. option, it’s really an average of $14.7 mil.  That is awesome.  God I love Beane.  So man crushing him on how he manages these contracts.

We do this again on Milano, and we are set boys.  Beane doesn’t count against the cap so I’m waiting for that one too.  Now we have 5th year options to figure out on Edmunds and Allen next year, so we could lock up Milano now, Edmunds next year, and Allen using the 5th year option after that.  If they can do early, great, but with this cap hit, it’s easier to find $ for a LB than a QB.  Besides, why not wait and get the full 5 years out of Allen before we fork out you would think $40 mil./yr. for Allen.  He’s either the guy or not by year 5.

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

God I hope Tre White is still happy at the fact he's guaranteed to make an insane amount of money.

when you’re talking amounts that high, it’s the difference between your great-great-great grandchildren being set for life, as opposed to “only” your great-great grandchildren.

I can understand trading two firsts for a top player at a critical position, but I do not understand doing that and then (half a season later) making that player by far the highest paid at his position.  Unless that player is an elite QB I just don’t get it.  And then (if they were a top QB) I would not understand why they’d be available at all. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

It's great in theory, but I just don't see it as plausible.

It's not reasonable to expect elite players to sign discounted deals for their second contracts. Late stage veterans? Different conversation.

Tre is as selfless as they come on and off the field, but that doesn't mean he should take a lowball offer, especially for a team with no cap issues.

I don't see this (and the Dawkins deal) as lowball or discounts.

Everyone know that Tre could of kept the negotiations going and pushed to get 20 million per.

He didn't do that, instead he took a fair deal for both sides and got it done so Beane now can go on with other decisions without having this contract

hanging over his head.

Dawkins did the same thing.  IMO it's a good sign showing harmony between management and the players and I hope it continues.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can understand trading two firsts for a top player at a critical position, but I do not understand doing that and then (half a season later) making that player by far the highest paid at his position.  Unless that player is an elite QB I just don’t get it.  And then (if they were a top QB) I would not understand why they’d be available at all. 

Well if you are trading two 1sts for a guy he is obvious ultra elite.

The mistake is completing the trade without having a new deal in place.

The other option is you traded two 1sts and a year later the guy walks and you are left for nothin.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Well if you are trading two 1sts for a guy he is obvious ultra elite.

The mistake is completing the trade without having a new deal in place.

The other option is you traded two 1sts and a year later the guy walks and you are left for nothin.

I agree.  That’s exactly why you have to have the deal in place when the trade is executed.  O’Brien had the same issue with Tunsil.  Gave up two firsts plus to get him with no deal in place.  Then had to way overpay him.  

32 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see this (and the Dawkins deal) as lowball or discounts.

Everyone know that Tre could of kept the negotiations going and pushed to get 20 million per.

He didn't do that, instead he took a fair deal for both sides and got it done so Beane now can go on with other decisions without having this contract

hanging over his head.

Dawkins did the same thing.  IMO it's a good sign showing harmony between management and the players and I hope it continues.

Nor do I - I was replying directly to Shaw's notion that Bills players will take below market deals due to our culture. I don't think that's the case at all - we've made some fair and reasonable deals based on each players ability and trajectory.

You could make a case that Dion is overpaid, but "good enough" left tackles have been paid $13+ million annually for years. Tre is an elite player, and elite players get to set the market, even if its temporary.

I guess I don't get why we're putting Beane on a pedestal for signing two young players to second contracts.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if the Bills look like crap, finish 6–10, and Allen loses terrible, we should extend him?  He has done a good job but it kinda all hinges on Allen.  He’s basically where Whaley was, now it’s whether or not Allen is the guy.

why do some of you think there is going to be some bidding war for Beane? It never happens and if the Bills get off to a great start, extend him mid season.  I’m fine with McDermott’s extension but everything is on Allen.  I won’t give a GM another shot if they missed with a franchise qb. JMO though.

Based on this contract, he made a great decision then. 😉

and I agree he’s not as good as he thinks he is but why do fans care so much about cbs tackling?  Deion never tackled.  

In the scenario you describ the wheels would have to completely fall off he wagon.   

25 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Nor do I - I was replying directly to Shaw's notion that Bills players will take below market deals due to our culture. I don't think that's the case at all - we've made some fair and reasonable deals based on each players ability and trajectory.

You could make a case that Dion is overpaid, but "good enough" left tackles have been paid $13+ million annually for years. Tre is an elite player, and elite players get to set the market, even if its temporary.

I guess I don't get why we're putting Beane on a pedestal for signing two young players to second contracts.

Fair enough.  But I can also acknowledge that these 2 players were the first 2 from the new regime that needed to be re-upped.

What I like is that they got it done without any drama.  I guess I believe that Dawkins could of stamped his feet for a little more cash and got it.

I don't put Beane on a pedestal but I see him already maturing as a GM compared to his first year which granted was a little shaky.

Milano is the next big one and will be a great litmus test.  If he wants too much Beane will have to let him walk.  It's tough but that's what a good GM does.

• Awesome! (+1) 1