Jalen Ramsey extension with Rams - 5 years/105 mill

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You know 100x more than me about NFL but I respectfully disagree with this. Tre KNEW that Ramsey and Lattimore deals are coming soon, and he KNEW that at least Ramsey will sign for more after him. And he still signed the contract and looked genuinely happy about it.

I didn't have time to watch his press conference after signing, but from couple of reactions I read here it is clear that he is smart and humble man, happy with what he got. Why do you suddenly think that his mentality is same as Ramseys and he NEEDS to sign for higher AAV than everybody before him? He did sign for highest AAV at that time since there was no other reasonable option (asking him to sign for less would be insult on Beane's part).

I know you don't mean it that way (and I also know that you might be right), but to me the notion that Tre would NO MATTER WHAT require to sign for more than Ramsey (if he was signing after Ramsey) is almost like an insult of Tre personality. 

I think Tre signed the deal knowing that something like this is coming and was fine with it, because he doesn't care about money and money only. If he did care about money only, he'd wait for others to sign.

On a side note, Rams are crazy and Beane is a genius.

Guys reset the market. That’s how it works. Tre may have known that Ramsey’s contract was coming. It was widely reported that it would. Ramsey may have waited for Tre. It is likely that Tre knew Ramsey’s deal was coming but he was still willing to sign. I don’t disagree with that.

If Tre came AFTER Ramsey though he would have been higher. It is as much about optics and agents as anything else. I guaranteed earlier this offseason that at some point Tre would be the highest paid CB ever in terms of AAV. It was a little less than I expected but he was. That’s just how it happens. Deandre Hopkins just did it too. The QBs are the one weird anomaly but other than that ALL superstars reset the market. If you want my opinion, I think a lot of that comes from the union as well. When the market gets reset it’s good for everyone.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It doesn’t kick in until next year?

Yes, it’s a four year “extension” of his current his rookie contract, which runs thru the ‘21 season because we exercised his 5th option back in April. The extension keeps him under contract thru the ‘25 season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jalen was the guy who tagged Tre on Twitter and said he needs to go to another team to get paid....and Tre got paid.

Jalen was the guy who called Josh Allen "trash" and Josh proceeded to burn his ass two times in the Jags game.

Starting the countdown on when Jalen tags Tre again and says "See, I got the money". Braggers are gonna brag...Tre is a happy guy and has a good relationship with his teammates/coaches/front office. I'll take Tre any day of the week over that fool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Jalen was the guy who tagged Tre on Twitter and said he needs to go to another team to get paid....and Tre got paid.

Jalen was the guy who called Josh Allen "trash" and Josh proceeded to burn his ass two times in the Jags game.

Starting the countdown on when Jalen tags Tre again and says "See, I got the money". Braggers are gonna brag...Tre is a happy guy and has a good relationship with his teammates/coaches/front office. I'll take Tre any day of the week over that fool.

Allen was 8-19 for 160 passing yards against the Jags.  We won the game but I’m not sure I’d use that as burning his ass.

that said, Ramsey is a douche and we got the better player/ person for cheaper.  That’s awesome. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hahaha, if the Rams FO hasnt figured it out yet, they never will. This crap goes all the way back to handing Tavon Austin that ridiculous contract in 2015.

I think it’s the same GM.  He has great hair and made a couple nice moves but he has made some awful ones as well.  To go from paying Gurley that much money and then cutting him should have cost him his job. 

7 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They were in the Super Bowl 18 months ago.

They've got some elite players and have to pay them top dollar - so what?

We throw around "cap hell" so often - they'll be fine.

They are paying Todd Gurley 9.8 mill and Brandin Cooks 21.8 mill to play for other teams this year. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hahaha, if the Rams FO hasnt figured it out yet, they never will. This crap goes all the way back to handing Tavon Austin that ridiculous contract in 2015.

They always seem to be right up against it cap wise and have had more than a couple of "wtf" contracts they've handed out. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

Remember when he got torched by Kelvin Benjamin?

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen was 8-19 for 160 passing yards against the Jags.  We won the game but I’m not sure I’d use that as burning his ass.

that said, Ramsey is a douche and we got the better player/ person for cheaper.  That’s awesome. 

I think it’s the same GM.  He has great hair and made a couple nice moves but he has made some awful ones as well.  To go from paying Gurley that much money and then cutting him should have cost him his job. 

Ramsey looked like a fool in that game. He got beat badly by an out of shape and utterly disinterested Kelvin Benjamin, and then made a business decision on Allen’s TD run in the 3rd quarter.

He’s talented, but he’s not even close to the player he thinks he is.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t think we have to see how the season plays out first at all. 

Everyone knows how good Tre is, and he got him signed at an absolute steal. 

Whether or not he performs isn’t up to Beane, Beane did His part and he did an excellent job. Tre was getting paid regardless. 

Such a weird phenomenon that some Bills fans have to be guarded at all times. Nothing can ever just be a good thing. 

So if the Bills look like crap, finish 6–10, and Allen loses terrible, we should extend him?  He has done a good job but it kinda all hinges on Allen.  He’s basically where Whaley was, now it’s whether or not Allen is the guy.

why do some of you think there is going to be some bidding war for Beane? It never happens and if the Bills get off to a great start, extend him mid season.  I’m fine with McDermott’s extension but everything is on Allen.  I won’t give a GM another shot if they missed with a franchise qb. JMO though.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ramsey looked like a fool in that game. He got beat badly by an out of shape and utterly disinterested Kelvin Benjamin, and then made a business decision on Allen’s TD run in the 3rd quarter.

Based on this contract, he made a great decision then. 😉

and I agree he’s not as good as he thinks he is but why do fans care so much about cbs tackling?  Deion never tackled.  

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are paying Todd Gurley 9.8 mill and Brandin Cooks 21.8 mill to play for other teams this year. 

Good point - but I give them credit for quickly cutting bait when it didn't work out.

Gurley was a shame - he was so good for years, and came crashing down in a few weeks.

I guess I don't get the need to disparage other franchises that have been great for years.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Guys reset the market. That’s how it works. Tre may have known that Ramsey’s contract was coming. It was widely reported that it would. Ramsey may have waited for Tre. It is likely that Tre knew Ramsey’s deal was coming but he was still willing to sign. I don’t disagree with that.

If Tre came AFTER Ramsey though he would have been higher. It is as much about optics and agents as anything else. I guaranteed earlier this offseason that at some point Tre would be the highest paid CB ever in terms of AAV. It was a little less than I expected but he was. That’s just how it happens. Deandre Hopkins just didn’t it too. The QBs are the one weird anomaly but other than that ALL superstars reset the market. If you want my opinion, I think a lot of that comes from the union as well. When the market gets reset it’s good for everyone.

I fully understand what you are saying in general, and I do agree.

One simple question however:

If from any reason Tre didn't (or haven't? I suck at this) sign until today, do you think that right now he would be telling this agent - ok man, I know we were thinking 18 AAV, but look now JR signed for 21, we need to sign for 21,5?

I think answer is no and that is my point.

But I also think you can in fact dodge the answer by saying that there is a reason why Tre signed reasonable real PRIOR Ramsey, and that reason is that he (i) wanted to reset the market but at the same time (ii) wanted to sign reasonable deal and intentionally signed it before Ramsey precisely in order to avoid any races. This might be the case and then we are both right :)

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He made the biggest plays of the game accounting for 2 tds. For a guy Ramsey called trash, relativity speaking Allen did make Ramsey look like a fool. Allen has another chance to show Ramsey up again vs the Rams this year. CANT WAIT.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if the Bills look like crap, finish 6–10, and Allen loses terrible, we should extend him?  He has done a good job but it kinda all hinges on Allen.  He’s basically where Whaley was, now it’s whether or not Allen is the guy.

why do some of you think there is going to be some bidding war for Beane? It never happens and if the Bills get off to a great start, extend him mid season.  I’m fine with McDermott’s extension but everything is on Allen.  I won’t give a GM another shot if they missed with a franchise qb. JMO though.

and I agree he’s not as good as he thinks he is but why do fans care so much about cbs tackling?  Deion never tackled.  

What does Allen have to do with anything? We’re talking about Tre’s deal. Has nothing to with anything else you’re bringing up. Beane did an excellent job. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I never mentioned his tackling; it’s a total lack of effort on a play that scored the deciding points that made me call him out.

I predict that Jalen doesn’t see year 3 of this deal.

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Good point - but I give them credit for quickly cutting bait when it didn't work out.

Gurley was a shame - he was so good for years, and came crashing down in a few weeks.

I guess I don't get the need to disparage other franchises that have been great for years.

I don’t think taking an objective look at cap management and decision making is disparaging a franchise by any means  

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just another elite talent that doesn't want to put in the work or face adversity. 

Tre over Jalen every day and we got him for much less. <insert Beane in sunglasses photo>

Then you are fool especially considering the Roster Beane has put together and the excellent working relationship he has with the head coach

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think taking an objective look at the cap management and decision making is disparaging a franchise by any means  

3 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The Rams have not been great for years. They recently got a great young coach and started building something but the GM managed to blow all the money and draft picks the past two years which I think will close their SB window prematurely. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

I fully understand what you are saying in general, and I do agree.

One simple question however:

If from any reason Tre didn't (or haven't? I suck at this) sign until today, do you think that right now he would be telling this agent - ok man, I know we were thinking 18 AAV, but look now JR signed for 21, we need to sign for 21,5?

I think answer is no and that is my point.

But I also think you can in fact dodge the answer by saying that there is a reason why Tre signed reasonable real PRIOR Ramsey, and that reason is that he (i) wanted to reset the market but at the same time (ii) wanted to sign reasonable deal and intentionally signed it before Ramsey precisely in order to avoid any races. This might be the case and then we are both right :)

I guess that I think that’s a moot point because I don’t think Ramsey was signing until Tre did. I really believe though that being “the highest paid ever” is VERY important to players, agents and believe it or not, teams. These teams need to set a tone that this place will take care of you. The Bills have a very good reputation as a destination around the league. 

I am now VERY curious to see what happens with Lattimore and Humphrey. My guess is that Ramsey pushed the market too far and now they wait until next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big C said:

The Rams have not been great for years. They recently got a great young coach and started building something but the GM managed to blow all the money and draft picks the past two years which I think will close their SB window prematurely. 

Exactly Big C!  Rams went more than all in and it's biting them now.  @YoloinOhio hit on a good point about dead money.

Rams are into 42 million of it (so far) this year and next.

Everything we have seen about Beane so far screams the opposite of that path.

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If Tre came AFTER Ramsey though he would have been higher. It is as much about optics and agents as anything else. I guaranteed earlier this offseason that at some point Tre would be the highest paid CB ever in terms of AAV. It was a little less than I expected but he was. That’s just how it happens. Deandre Hopkins just did it too. The QBs are the one weird anomaly but other than that ALL superstars reset the market. If you want my opinion, I think a lot of that comes from the union as well. When the market gets reset it’s good for everyone.

He would have had to wait a year to get that deal, imo.   The whole point was that he got that deal done a year sooner rather than a potentially bigger deal later.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JESSEFEFFER said:

He would have had to wait a year to get that deal, imo.   The whole point was that he got that deal done a year sooner rather than a potentially bigger deal later.

That’s probably right. If that Ramsey deal came before Tre’s he probably wasn’t signing until the offseason.

6 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

And now 2021 is fully guaranteed (5th year options are only injury-guaranteed). Plus the extension's practical guarantees.  

For buffalo it prevents a holdout, and keeps the player. 

For Tre, its money up front.  Full guarantees.  Organizational commitment (he basically can't be traded).  If he doesn't sign this and holds out in 2021 he has leverage to not sign, but Buffalo has leverage to move him.  If he's moved to a worse fit and doesn't get an extension, it can massively harm his value.

I didn't read through four page of replies, so I'm sure all of this has been said...

Beane's a ***** wizard. 

Soooo glad we got Tre's deal done before Ramsey's deal got announced.

How does Beane keep doing this?

Lock Beane up for the next decade+ and through away the key.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Big C said:

Again...they were in the Super Bowl 18 months ago and "slumped" to 9-7.

They've got some great pieces in place to contend for a championship for years, and I think Snead has been a great GM for years.

Meanwhile, we have yet to win a playoff game and we are ready to give Beane a key to the city. Let's keep some perspective here.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They've got some great pieces in place to content for a championship for years, and I think Snead has been a great GM for years.

Meanwhile, we have yet to win a playoff game and we are ready to give Beane a key to the city. Let's keep some perspective here.

Sure Snead has come a long way since trading up with us to draft Tavon Austin but if you look at his roster moves and use of capital over years I don't see how he has been great. They way overpaid Gurley despite his knee history and him being a running back. They traded Marcus Peter's away for, what, a fourth rounder? Only to trade a first for Ramsey and give him that contract? We would be livid here.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Again...they were the Super Bowl 18 months ago and "slumped" to 9-7.

They've got some great pieces in place to content for a championship for years, and I think Snead has been a great GM for years.

We all will see if that is true or not.

The Rams went the FA route to get a playoff/SB competitive team.  Now they have dead money issues and only a 2,3,6,7 in next years draft.

Well see once again if teams going the FA scheme can keep a good team.

We all have to wait to see if this year the Bills turn the corner or not but you have to admit things are looking up.

38 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Then you are fool especially considering the Roster Beane has put together and the excellent working relationship he has with the head coach

Who cares?  Should the Bears GM get another shot after Mitch T because he’s buddies with the coach?

i agree Beane has done a good job but no matter how we try to make this, it’s all about QB.  To miss  on the highest drafted qb would be a huge miss.  The 2015 roster was awesome but Whaley couldn’t find a franchise qb.

if Allen gets off to a good start, extend Beane.  But I don’t know why you want to rush it.  

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Higher cost of living in LA. 😎

but yeah, this deal looks really dumb. 

26 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They've got some great pieces in place to contend for a championship for years, and I think Snead has been a great GM for years.

Another reason not to rush an extension for Beane.  Things change quickly in the nfl. 

Who cares?  Should the Bears GM get another shot after Mitch T because he’s buddies with the coach?

i agree Beane has done a good job but no matter how we try to make this, it’s all about QB.  To miss  on the highest drafted qb would be a huge miss.  The 2015 roster was awesome but Whaley couldn’t find a franchise qb.

if Allen gets off to a good start, extend Beane.  But I don’t know why you want to rush it.  

Should the Ravens have canned Ozzie Newsome for whiffing on Boller?

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

We all will see if that is true or not.

The Rams went the FA route to get a playoff/SB competitive team.  Now they have dead money issues and only a 2,3,6,7 in next years draft.

Well see once again if teams going the FA scheme can keep a good team.

We all have to wait to see if this year the Bills turn the corner or not but you have to admit things are looking up.

Absolutely - I like the direction we're heading and  am excited to see this team make some noise in the playoffs.

Rams have their QB (I'm high on Goff and think he'll bounce back to 2017 & 2018 numbers), pass rusher, cornerback and two excellent playmakers at WR.

Tough division, but I think they've got something sustainable there.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Should the Ravens have canned Ozzie Newsome for whiffing on Boller?

Good point but I think they put that pick mainly on Billick since he was the offensive “guru.”  He also went 19th.  Also, I believe Ozzie already had a SB by that point.  

so not exactly apples to apples but good counter.  I just don’t get the rush.  I just have a hard time seeing Beane not willing to sign an extension towards the end of season once we know how good this team is. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

How does Beane keep doing this?

I said it a few weeks ago.  I expected Tre to give a hometown discount.  McDermott and Beane are selling TEAM all the time, and part of TEAM is the beat players playing for less than top dollar.  

Players want to be part of this team. They see something great happening.  They feel appreciated.  They see themselves in their teammates.  Beane tells them that one reason they are able to build this way is that they have money to get quality role players, and they only can continue doing that if guys like White leave a couple million per on the table.  

When Josh's turn comes around I think we will see it again.  Brady already set the standard, and I think we will be pleased with Josh's deal.  Josh will see that after tax, the difference between 35 and 40 isn't such a big deal.

Edited by Shaw66

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i agree Beane has done a good job but no matter how we try to make this, it’s all about QB.  To miss  on the highest drafted qb would be a huge miss.  The 2015 roster was awesome but Whaley couldn’t find a qb.

😎

Gotta give a gm two shots at a ab. Most QBs fail, even ones picked high.   So missing on one qb choice shouldn't end the guys job.  

Even Whaley got two shots, and Beane is clearly a better gm. 

• Like (+1) 1