Beane / Farwell Scouting Prowess: Bass vs. Rohrwasser

Bills selected Bass in Round 6 -but nearly 30 picks earlier (in Round 5) Belichick selected Rohrwasser.

Fast forward 4 months - Bass has won the starter job for the Bills besting Hauschka. The Pats, on the other hand, are bringing in Nick Folk to compete with Rohrwasser (suggesting Rohrwasser is not yet ready).

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-re-sign-k-nick-folk-sign-dl-michael-barnett

Kicker is one of the few positions on the team where talent and mental fortitude are the only criteria - you don’t have to worry about the player’s fit with the offensive and defensive schemes of the team. And Belichick’s ST evaluation is generally regarded as second to none. Just wanted to highlight our own staff’s superiority in scouting and drafting in this particular instance.

Edit: Found this nugget about why Belichick picked Rohrwasser

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/why-patriots-chose-justin-rohrwasser

Rohrwasser wasn't one of the top prospects in this year's draft class, which can be shown in SI's prop bets for who will be the first kicker to be drafted. But there is one bit of adversity Rohrwasser has experienced that caused his named to be called by New England on Day 3: weather.

we will know when the weather turns south .. but in good weather it does appear Bass is superior.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Well, this is a trust that the coaches know what they're doing thing. It has all the signs of a disaster, but, it's kind of like taking a big swing, if you make a connection, oh the fun.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Bills selected Bass in Round 6 -but nearly 30 picks earlier (in Round 5) Belichick selected Rohrwasser.

Fast forward 4 months - Bass has won the starter job for the Bills besting Hauschka. The Pats, on the other hand, are bringing in Nick Folk to compete with Rohrwasser (suggesting Rohrwasser is not yet ready).

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-re-sign-k-nick-folk-sign-dl-michael-barnett

Kicker is one of the few positions on the team where talent and mental fortitude are the only criteria - you don’t have to worry about the player’s fit with the offensive and defensive schemes of the team. And Belichick’s ST evaluation is generally regarded as second to none. Just wanted to highlight our own staff’s superiority in scouting and drafting in this particular instance.

We will see when the games start, but you may be right.

but this also shows you what a crapshoot kicker is. It’s strange— you’d think it would translate perfectly from college to the NFL. But then you have guys like Aguayo, who

was one of the most accurate kickers in college history, kicked on a big stage at FSU, and then couldn’t make one in the pros. Very odd. 

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Other teams

So...sign the Nazi kicker?

And the Bills have done a good job scouting kickers over the years.  They just don't give them time to develop and see them do well for other teams.

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I'll wait to season end to highlight staff's superiority.  He did well enough in practice to win job, but lets see how the real games go first.  It's easier to know when a kicker isn't ready to know when he is ready until you play the real games.  Very often highly touted rookie kickers miss a bunch, get cut and replaced by a vet, but then 3 or 4 years later they are in the Pro-Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hausch had the longest streak of +50 yard FGs ever.  Last year he was 1 of 5 over 50 yards.

I liked him a lot as a Bill but it was most likely the time to move on.

The fact that he hasn't had a workout this week (assuming that he would accept a workout) says that other people agree with you.  I'm one of them, for what it's worth. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m glad that they picked Bass over the white supremacist. 

Me too. Even if he never makes a kick for the Bills. 

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'll wait to season end to highlight staff's superiority.  He did well enough in practice to win job, but lets see how the real games go first.  It's easier to know when a kicker isn't ready to know when he is ready until you play the real games.  Very often highly touted rookie kickers miss a bunch, get cut and replaced by a vet, but then 3 or 4 years later they are in the Pro-Bowl.

Yep. Very rare that kickers are ready right out of the gate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I have zero faith in rookie kickers. I really hope he turns out, because we're taking a huge gamble.

They were taking a huge gamble with Hauschka. The question is how much bigger of a gamble Bass is...

3 hours ago, Doc said:

And the Bills have done a good job scouting kickers over the years.  They just don't give them time to develop and see them do well for other teams.

Huh?

Before this year, they drafted 2 in the last 20.  One washed out quickly and the other was on IR by week 5, replaced by Carpenter, given the chance to beat out Carpenter the next camp and failed.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

Before this year, they drafted 2 in the last 20.  One washed out quickly and the other was on IR by week 5, replaced by Carpenter, given the chance to beat out Carpenter the next camp and failed.

I'm also including undrafted guys they've brought in.  Graham.  Hopkins.  McLaughlin.  I think there was another guy.

And sure Carpenter beat Hopkins out.  But Hopkins went on to have a decent career.  Which is why I said they have to be patient.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I agree on the Bills drafting kickers.  Most of those they've drafted have produced for other teams over the years.

• Like (+1) 1