Bills Entire Marketing Dept Steps Down

Mango

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There would be better football at the lower levels if it was a bigger part of the culture here.  This isn’t a rip on WNY.  Their hockey development of youngsters is fantastic.  A talented young hockey player in NE Ohio should just move to a more hockey-centric place.  There is no culture for it there.  But there sure is here.  There just isn’t a big football culture here - and it shows in the development programs.  It doesn’t mean that people here don’t love their Bills with all their heart.  I know they do.

Again just because this isn't a high level amateur football area  doesn't mean this isn't a football town. They aren't mutual

You can be a football fan without playing ?. And buffalo has always been rabid for football

And I know players who have gone D1 and to the league from here. There is good football in pockets, it's just not like Texas

That doenst mean people don't love football. I've met way more people in Buffalo who don't watch hockey than football

It's a sports town in general but football been Uber popular since the 20s and the all Americans

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Seriously, how long were these people employees of the Bills? 

If they were here before McD showed up, then they are losers by association, GTFO of town.

The people responsible for developing tag lines and graphic design don’t impact wins and losses....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I couldnt care less but just call it like it is.

Then you evidently cared a little...?

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah, it’s not a great look.  Let’s face it, the Bills pretty much sell themselves in WNY.  At its heart Buffalo is truly a hockey town, but the Sabres have been so bad for so long that they have to be almost impossible to sell here.  I can’t imagine my job being dependent on doing that.  And that situation is definitely not the fault of anyone in marketing. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's really debatable.  

there has been wild support for football teams here since the buffalo all-amwrocans in the 1920s. Way before there was a hockey team

the sabres became massively popular right after the lockout when we became really good. I don't think they were more popular than the bills in the 70s 80s or 90s

Almost everybody in Buffalo loves the bills. There's been tons of people in the city for 40 years who don't follow hockey

The Sabres have always been popular, since they came into the league in 1970. That said the Bills are king and always will be. Sabres are right behind them but will always be #2. It's like the Red Sox in Boston. They are THE team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres have always been popular, since they came into the league in 1970. That said the Bills are king and always will be. Sabres are right behind them but will always be #2. It's like the Red Sox in Boston. They are THE team.

I know they've always been popular. I'm saying post-lockout they really hit a boom In popularity

The amount of sabres merchandise sold pre and post lockout was insane

This is anecdotal but my cousin's husband works as a video editor for PSG and has nothing but great things to say about the organization (specifically Kim).  Reports like this surprise me.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Marketing department for an NFL team.

Its like having a dozen meteorologists at a San Diego news station.

brickcarell1.jpg&w=1024&h=768

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

At its heart Buffalo is truly a hockey town, but the Sabres have been so bad for so long that they have to be almost impossible to sell here. 

Nah.

I can take you to neighborhoods where there are block after block of people who couldn't tell you

anything about hockey, what the rules of the game even are, have never laced on a pair skates 

and have no desire to.  Hockey is popular in certain pockets and development of players is excellent

in those pockets.

Buffalo, at heart, is a Buffalo Bills town.  Since they started and on through today, and always will be.  

I would say Buffalo is more of a football city.  A majority know the game, have played the game and are

passionate about the game.  That crosses all demographics in town.  

I'll go one further -- If Buffalo had a MLB team that team would be more popular than the Sabres too. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is anecdotal but my cousin's husband works as a video editor for PSG and has nothing but great things to say about the organization (specifically Kim).  Reports like this surprise me.

brickcarell1.jpg&w=1024&h=768

Not everyone has the same experience at their job.  You make your own reputation.

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

wow, 5 pages and spirited debate about the culture of the marketing department of the Bills.  

We are totally insane fans.  

We also need the season to begin!

Can 3 people create a "culture"?

10 minutes ago, IslandBillsFan said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.  (Except I was thinking probably two people.)

it’s still strange to see all 3 leave, no?

i don’t get the argument that it’s just three as if that’s insignificant 

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Do you consider the Bills' marketing to have been great?  Anything special?  If not, 3 people won't be hard to replace.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Do you consider the Bills' marketing to have been great?  Anything special?  If not, 3 people won't be hard to replace.

It’s weird. It’s almost like that wasn’t the point at all. But you just can’t resist. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They weren't fired, they quit----dream jobs in the most high profile pro sports league in the country--during a pandemic.

What facts do you think are still yet to be made known that would make this a good thing or not a bad turn of events for this organization?

You don't know that.  In the corporate world, people are allowed to resign rather than being fired all the time.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Simple question doc.  You doubt Graham is reporting fact on this story?

WEO...it's not that he isn't reporting fact (at least in the article itself), people are reacting to the "sensational" headline not matching the facts of the article itself. Unfortunately, that is so called news/reporting these days (i.e. click bait). it's not just Tim...it's just the sad state of most reporting these days. Now in this case, it's not that big of a deal, but in a time where people only read headlines and then get triggered by them, I do think it is a bit disengenuous to sensationalize your headlines.

Tim's headline reads "Buffalo Bills' entire marketing department resigns..." When you read that headline, you think that, what, 10-30 disgruntled people walked out en masse. But, when you actually read the article, in fact, two people have resigned and maybe a third person will if his "sources" are correct. Sure, the titles of the three people seem like they were leaders in the department, but I don't know and he doesn't tell us. Tim also does not report on how many people total are in the marketing department. I mean, sure, if the department is 5 people total, then 3 people leaving is major. If the department is 20-30 people, then 3 people leaving is hardly the "entire" department. Let's say for instance that the department has 20 people (and it may be larger than that, I don't know), then 3 people leaving is 15% of the staff. That is equivalent to me writing an article about a company of 200 employees and my headline reads, "X Company's entire workforce resigns." But it turns out to be only 30 people of the 200. Thirty people leaving would be a significant story to report, but I would be misleading my readers by saying, in essence, the company has no  more employees. But Tim doesn't give us those facts to assess for ourselves.

Instead, he goes on to speculate how bad things must be because these employees are leaving during the pandemic. Well, what if the answer was like someone else said, that they no longer think sports is a stable place to work going into the future because of the pandemic (or a hundred other scenarios, they got hired away, they have child care issues, an ill family member, etc.). It could be for any reason. Yes, them leaving at the same time makes it seem like it could be something, an issue in the department or organization, but again there is nothing to back that up. He does not quote the former employees or anyone from inside PSE. So, how does he/we know what their reasons for leaving are? 

I have no idea what is happening at PSE. It may be a sh%t show and these employees really did resign because they are supremely unhappy with how the organization is run. I'm not here to defend PSE. But, there is no question that Tim's headline seems completely sensationalized (either click-bait or agenda motivated) without him providing any more information than he did in the article. 

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, folz said:

WEO...it's not that he isn't reporting fact (at least in the article itself), people are reacting to the "sensational" headline not matching the facts of the article itself. Unfortunately, that is so called news/reporting these days (i.e. click bait). it's not just Tim...it's just the sad state of most reporting these days. Now in this case, it's not that big of a deal, but in a time where people only read headlines and then get triggered by them, I do think it is a bit disengenuous to sensationalize your headlines.

Tim's headline reads "Buffalo Bills' entire marketing department resigns..." When you read that headline, you think that, what, 10-30 disgruntled people walked out en masse. But, when you actually read the article, in fact, two people have resigned and maybe a third person will if his "sources" are correct. Sure, the titles of the three people seem like they were leaders in the department, but I don't know and he doesn't tell us. Tim also does not report on how many people total are in the marketing department. I mean, sure, if the department is 5 people total, then 3 people leaving is major. If the department is 20-30 people, then 3 people leaving is hardly the "entire" department. Let's say for instance that the department has 20 people (and it may be larger than that, I don't know), then 3 people leaving is 15% of the staff. That is equivalent to me writing an article about a company of 200 employees and my headline reads, "X Company's entire workforce resigns." But it turns out to be only 30 people of the 200. Thirty people leaving would be a significant story to report, but I would be misleading my readers by saying, in essence, the company has no  more employees. But Tim doesn't give us those facts to assess for ourselves.

Instead, he goes on to speculate how bad things must be because these employees are leaving during the pandemic. Well, what if the answer was like someone else said, that they no longer think sports is a stable place to work going into the future because of the pandemic (or a hundred other scenarios, they got hired away, they have child care issues, an ill family member, etc.). It could be for any reason. Yes, them leaving at the same time makes it seem like it could be something, an issue in the department or organization, but again there is nothing to back that up. He does not quote the former employees or anyone from inside PSE. So, how does he/we know what their reasons for leaving are? 

I have no idea what is happening at PSE. It may be a sh%t show and these employees really did resign because they are supremely unhappy with how the organization is run. I'm not here to defend PSE. But, there is no question that Tim's headline seems completely sensationalized (either click-bait or agenda motivated) without him providing any more information than he did in the article. 

Good post-

Simply proof point 1034 why I have a complete lack of trust for most media-  just tell me what happened from an objective point of view- not what you think about it!

Edited by hmsmystic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, folz said:

the titles of the three people seem like they were leaders in the department

According to the story, one was a 'Marketing Manager' which is a title for a 30 year old.  Another was "Marketing Coordinator" which is an entry level job that's a half-step above Admin Assistant and frequently the lowest paid person in the entire organization.  In fact, I just googled the person named in the story and it's literally a college kid.

This story is as 'fake news' as it gets.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s weird. It’s almost like that wasn’t the point at all. But you just can’t resist.

OK, let me put it another way: would it be strange if they were being forced-out because they were nothing special at their jobs?

Felt like this was a good place to post this. Did ya'll know Billy Buffalo is not allowed at games this season? Ever since Billy Buffalo became a thing the Bills haven't won a playoff game. Coincidence? I think not. I've emptied my savings and 401k and put it all on the Bills to win the Super Bowl.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

According to the story, one was a 'Marketing Manager' which is a title for a 30 year old.  Another was "Marketing Coordinator" which is an entry level job that's a half-step above Admin Assistant and frequently the lowest paid person in the entire organization.  In fact, I just googled the person named in the story and it's literally a college kid.

This story is as 'fake news' as it gets.

So, basically, it should have been a two sentence tweet, not an article, "Vice president of marketing Shaena Kershner resigned two weeks ago. I am looking into the reasons why."

If the level of the other two employees are as you say, then they are hardly a news-worthy story. I work for a smallish company (about 500 employees). With our lower level employees, about a third progress in the company and the rest are turning over constantly (each for different reasons). Some are changing professions, following their dreams, looking for better opportunities, moving to a different part of the country, just not working out, they don't like the job, don't fit the culture of the organization, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

is that what you are asserting happened here, doc?

It's a very real possibility.  Remember the furor over Dave Wheat being let go and then the Bills hired that Sinnarajah guy a few months later?  I doubt they'll have trouble finding people to fill their shoes because, again, it's not like they were amazing at their jobs.

Oh and read what Kid in CA wrote.

3 minutes ago, folz said:

So, basically, it should have been a two sentence tweet, not an article, "Vice president of marketing Shaena Kershner resigned two weeks ago. I am looking into the reasons why."

If the level of the other two employees are as you say, then they are hardly a news-worthy story. I work for a smallish company (about 500 employees). With our lower level employees, about a third progress in the company and the rest are turning over constantly (each for different reasons). Some are changing professions, following their dreams, looking for better opportunities, moving to a different part of the country, just not working out, they don't like the job, don't fit the culture of the organization, etc. 

Or maybe, "VP Marketing leaves Bills, no one notices for two weeks.  Also, Marketing Intern goes back to college."

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's a very real possibility.  Remember the furor over Dave Wheat being let go and then the Bills hired that Sinnarajah guy a few months later?  I doubt they'll have trouble finding people to fill their shoes because, again, it's not like they were amazing at their jobs.

Oh and read what Kid in CA wrote.

have I said anywhere that I think it’ll be hard to fill the positions? 

what are you arguing with me about at this point ?

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

have I said anywhere that I think it’ll be hard to fill the positions? 

what are you arguing with me about at this point ?

My apologies then.  It's much ado about nothing.

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Its not insignificant but the headline purposely leads the imagination on to more significant numbers

Also it was a VP, a Coordinator, and a Manager. Who knows for sure but those dont sound like positions that have no subordinates to carry out these things. So again I question "entire" marketing department. Coordinating and Managing the marketing with a vice president to preside over it and no one else? Seems unlikely to me.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Honestly do not give a single *****.

Why do the Bills even need a Marketing department? Are there people in Buffalo who are unaware of the team? Do they think they are expanding the fan base with a cool billboard?

I always got a laugh when people referred to Russ Brandon as a "marketing genius". All it takes to market the Bills in Buffalo is posting the schedule. Folks show up.

Exactly.  Do they make commercials for local stations reminding people that the Bills season is near and you better get your tickets before they’re gone?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You don't know that.  In the corporate world, people are allowed to resign rather than being fired all the time.

They likely fired the department?

Ok.  That would be an odd bit of the story to leave out, no?

9 hours ago, folz said:

He said the entire department...

People seem hooked on the number of people who make up that department.  It's irrelevant.  If the title had said "all 3 people who make up the Bills entire marketing department have stepped down", would you people be less offended/enraged/triggered?  If JW had written the same article, would you be going off on the title? 

In troubled times, people tend not to just walk away from their jobs unless they have another job in hand.  That also would have been part of the above story. 

7 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Its not insignificant but the headline purposely leads the imagination on to more significant numbers

Also it was a VP, a Coordinator, and a Manager. Who knows for sure but those dont sound like positions that have no subordinates to carry out these things. So again I question "entire" marketing department. Coordinating and Managing the marketing with a vice president to preside over it and no one else? Seems unlikely to me.

The article was misleading, maybe they should have run it by the marketing department first. Oh wait, never mind...

• Like (+1) 1