Bills Entire Marketing Dept Steps Down

Mango

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The article was misleading, maybe they should have run it by the marketing department first. Oh wait, never mind...

Now THAT made me laugh!

PS: Any chance the old department can pile in a van and get to California by Monday morning? My firm’s marketing department sucks! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We'll take our chances with them.

I'd wager,  that if they didn't own the team, the Las Vegas Bills would be playing in a shiny new stadium in desert heat, on opening day.

Oh, no doubt them buying the Bills was a good thing. That doesn’t mean that they are good at running the business. Those 2 things aren’t related. 

• Like (+1) 2

For all the people getting their pitch forks because Tim Graham is “fake news”, let’s not forget that the article posted at the start of the thread is by Matt Warren on Buffalo Rumblings. Not Graham. 

Tim wrote the article on Chris Brown, and briefly mentioned the marketing dept. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok.  That would be an odd bit of the story to leave out, no?

He said the entire department...

People seem hooked on the number of people who make up that department.  It's irrelevant.  If the title had said "all 3 people who make up the Bills entire marketing department have stepped down", would you people be less offended/enraged/triggered?  If JW had written the same article, would you be going off on the title? 

In troubled times, people tend not to just walk away from their jobs unless they have another job in hand.  That also would have been part of the above story. 

Article Mentions the following:

Shaena Kershner
Alex Compton
Kelly Baker

What about?

John Durbin Sr. VP of Marketing and Business Strategy
Gregg Pastore Sr. Director of Digital Media & Strategy
Scott Miner Director of Business Solutions
Evan Barrick Manager of Reporting Strategy
Craig Kanalley Digital Insights Manager
Olivia Merrill Digital Marketing Manager
Chris O'Connell Manager of Data Strategy
Nico Ruggiero Digital Marketing Manager
Colin Greenway Digital Marketing Coordinator
Connor Kukla  Data Scientist
John Landi CRM Architect
Michael Whitney Copywriter

Since this took me all of two minutes to obtain, I have to assume Tim is either grossly incompetent or has an agenda. Which one do you think it is?

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

For all the people getting their pitch forks because Tim Graham is “fake news”, let’s not forget that the article posted at the start of the thread is by Matt Warren on Buffalo Rumblings. Not Graham. 

Tim wrote the article on Chris Brown, and briefly mentioned the marketing dept. 

"briefly mentioned"

Tim's article has 4 paragraphs on Brown and 12 on the "marketing department"

Matt Warren did no reporting except on the fact the article exists so saying it's from him and not graham is misleading.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Shaena Kershner
Alex Compton
Kelly Baker

What about?

John Landi CRM Architect

Since this took me all of two minutes to obtain, I have to assume Tim is either grossly incompetent or has an agenda. Which one do you think it is?

"briefly mentioned"

Matt Warren did no reporting except on the fact the article exists so saying it's from him and not graham is misleading.

The point Mango is making (and you are pretending to miss) is that the title of Graham's article in the Atlantic did not contain the words ("Bill entire marketing department steps down") that have inflamed you and others.  It is the title of Warren's piece.

And what's THIS guy's agenda?:

“All I can say is that morale is very low outside of the football department,” says John Wawrow of the Associated Press. “Just when you think things can’t get lower they do".

Edited by Mr. WEO

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres have always been popular, since they came into the league in 1970. That said the Bills are king and always will be. Sabres are right behind them but will always be #2. It's like the Red Sox in Boston. They are THE team.

I’ll just repeat what I said earlier for everyone telling me the same thing you are.  I’m not talking about what pro team people like more, I’m talking about support and enthusiasm for the sport at all levels.  Being a town where the NFL team is the most popular does not mean that it’s a football town.  I’ll leave it there.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Shaena Kershner
Alex Compton
Kelly Baker

What about?

John Landi CRM Architect

"briefly mentioned"

A few things. To your top point about the listed staff. It is fair, but a C- for research. About a month ago the Bills website still listed a marketing dept that was different from PSE.  Your big gotcha moment is a list of the PSE employees, NOT Buffalo Bills. Because if  you went with the current website, there would be none of them. Which is Grahams point. If you jump back to the website from a month ago, there would be three of them. . I don't know what the difference between the two teams are. I assume they work together in a lot of ways. The Bill staff might be high level, and PSE does the grunt work? I don't know. But those are also PSE employees you listed. Graham mentions the Bills team, not PSE. To which he would be correct.

It has been noted that the Bills have largely kept the Bills and Sabres/PSE separate for whatever reason. I believe that may have even been confirmed by either Beane or McD when the "Maintain Family Lifestyle" thing broke. Maybe that is different now? They are merging with PSE? Either that or they need to replace the marketing staff. Unsure. But it is note worthy. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200630095801/https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

To your second point. That is incredibly disingenuous for a few reasons, one it really is not true, and two, news article paragraphs are often a sentence or two long.

The article opens with a few "paragraphs" on Brown. Then spends about the same amount of space on the marketing team. Back to Brown. Mentions other firings. John Murphy's removal from One Bills Live after criticizing Pegula. Back to Brown and a transcript. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ll just repeat what I said earlier for everyone telling me the same thing you are.  I’m not talking about what pro team people like more, I’m talking about support and enthusiasm for the sport at all levels.  Being a town where the NFL team is the most popular does not mean that it’s a football town.  I’ll leave it there.

All one needs to do to verify this is look at the NHL viewing ratings. Its true. Buffalo LOVES hockey. Even though we have had a ***** team for over a decade, we always rank in the top 3-5 of these ratings for playoffs/stanley cup/winter classics. 

As Barley points out, that doesnt mean we like the Sabres more than the Bills, it means this area LOVES and CONSUMES hockey. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's crazy to think, that Bills fans have been a huge reason for the growth of the Bills, more than any marketing department out there.

Individual fans branding the "Billsmafia" and spreading it on social media has done more for expanding the fanbase than any marketing department has done.

The best part about it, is the official Bills have done everything possible to try and limit the expose of the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They likely fired the department?

People seem hooked on the number of people who make up that department.  It's irrelevant.  If the title had said "all 3 people who make up the Bills entire marketing department have stepped down", would you people be less offended/enraged/triggered?  If JW had written the same article, would you be going off on the title? 

In troubled times, people tend not to just walk away from their jobs unless they have another job in hand.  That also would have been part of the above story. 

I’m also surprised people thought the bills marketing team was potentially 30 people. 

I had assumed it was likely a handful, unless we suddenly roll in all game day promo people and such. But straight marketing? No way. 

I think a fair question is whether the issue is the headline or people’s assumptions on this one?

and I dislike Timmy as much as anyone here. 

22 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

All one needs to do to verify this is look at the NHL viewing ratings. Its true. Buffalo LOVES hockey. Even though we have had a ***** team for over a decade, we always rank in the top 3-5 of these ratings for playoffs/stanley cup/winter classics. 

As Barley points out, that doesnt mean we like the Sabres more than the Bills, it means this area LOVES and CONSUMES hockey. 

flip side is top 3-5 hockey tv ratings cities strikes me as a potentially stacked metric to use. 

like I’d expect buffalo to perform better than a lot of other nhl cities but that’s because I’d expect those other cities to not do well. Whereas the nfl is a beast across the US.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Fair, the Sabres did well with TV ratings last year, which is wild. We aren't doing great with attendance, and have not been for about a decade now. Since 2010, the Sabres have not been in the top half of % capacity filled in the NHL. Worth noting that the NHL TV contract is trash compared to the NBA and NFL and does not even cover the salary cap. NHL owners live and die on attendance, not TV viewership. 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

37 minutes ago, Mango said:

A few things. To your top point about the listed staff. It is fair, but a C- for research. About a month ago the Bills website still listed a marketing dept that was different from PSE.  Your big gotcha moment is a list of the PSE employees, NOT Buffalo Bills. Because if  you went with the current website, there would be none of them. Which is Grahams point. If you jump back to the website from a month ago, there would be three of them. . I don't know what the difference between the two teams are. I assume they work together in a lot of ways. The Bill staff might be high level, and PSE does the grunt work? I don't know. But those are also PSE employees you listed. Graham mentions the Bills team, not PSE. To which he would be correct.

It has been noted that the Bills have largely kept the Bills and Sabres/PSE separate for whatever reason. I believe that may have even been confirmed by either Beane or McD when the "Maintain Family Lifestyle" thing broke. Maybe that is different now? They are merging with PSE? Either that or they need to replace the marketing staff. Unsure. But it is note worthy. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200630095801/https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

To your second point. That is incredibly disingenuous for a few reasons, one it really is not true, and two, news article paragraphs are often a sentence or two long.

The article opens with a few "paragraphs" on Brown. Then spends about the same amount of space on the marketing team. Back to Brown. Mentions other firings. John Murphy's removal from One Bills Live after criticizing Pegula. Back to Brown and a transcript. 

It seems reasonable to think that they’re trying to consolidate the marketing departments.

They likely fired the department?

Don't be disingenuous....the 'entire department' story has already been debunked.  It was one person plus a college intern who left to go back to school (a rare occurrence in late August.....).  The mid-level Marketing Manager (who's a total 'yes' btw) still works there according to her own LinkedIn profile.

As far as the 'troubled times' angle, that's even more evidence she was fired.  And regardless of how/why she left, the shock and awe of the pandemic on the white collar job market dissipated months ago unless you work in the travel industry or other similarly disrupted industry.  White collar people like these are freely moving around as they always have.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It seems reasonable to think that they’re trying to consolidate the marketing departments.

not impossible.

do you think its reasonable to think that there was some sort of unpleasant atmosphere that contributed to them leaving? 

lots of things are possible here but one seems the shortest jump. And also happens to line up with a bit of a reputation we have heard of. and also is what the reporters seem to be trying to tell us. 

im not sure why some seem to be taking the idea that the report could be accurate personally. It’s not a huge deal even if true, but might be some insight behind the curtain.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Don't be disingenuous....the 'entire department' story has already been debunked.  It was one person plus a college intern who left to go back to school (a rare occurrence in late August.....).  The mid-level Marketing Manager (who's a total 'yes' btw) still works there according to her own LinkedIn profile.

As far as the 'troubled times' angle, that's even more evidence she was fired.  And regardless of how/why she left, the shock and awe of the pandemic on the white collar job market dissipated months ago unless you work in the travel industry or other similarly disrupted industry.  White collar people like these are freely moving around as they always have.

Good point.  Plenty of white collar workers are leaving their jobs working for an NFL franchise in bunches.

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

a coordinator is not an intern. The dude worked for the team for 2+ years in a professionally employed capacity while not attending college.

it appears he left the team to start grad school, which is good on him. 

also I’m not sure a non updated linked in is anything. Many don’t update until they have a new job.

last up - absolutely not. Especially in marketing dollars are tight for new hires. Many companies are tightening the belt and if choosing between an operational role or a marketing role are cutting the marketing dollars back.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Debunked in one URL: https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

The Bills current website...lists a bunch of marketing people. You can spend a whole bunch of words trying to change that fact, but it's never going to make your dreams reality. 

to be fair, the PSE folks work for 20+ non bills accounts. So that the local reporters are telling you that the bills in house marketing team has all departed is still potentially very true.

@Kirby Jackson could probably shine a lot of Light structurally here but I’d venture most teams have a few in house folks and and outside contractor as well. That we list the outside contractors full team on our website is likely the only unique factor here, based on my much more limited knowledge.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

Looking at my local 2 sport ownership group

saints have it broken out as “marketing and game presentation” with 13 total members. When you back out things like dance team manager, etc... it’s 8 folks and most share duties with both saints and pelicans. 

so a handful in house and sure they have a larger scale out of house partner too 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I am very unsure what you debunked here? I literally posted the archived link from a month or so ago with 3 people on the team. I guess maybe the fact that I said there was not any listed currently. Sorry, I missed that Kelly Baxter wasn't removed from the website yet. Is that the big gotcha moment again? Kelly Baxter is still listed on the Bills website after quitting?

I cited that in my response: https://web.archive.org/web/20200630095801/https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

One more time for the people in the back. The Buffalo Bills, and only Buffalo Bills employed  marketing team was listed as 3 people one month ago on the Bills website. The list of employees you gave are PSE employees.  They are also listed for the Sabres because they are PSE. What was reported by Graham is factually true. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/team/staff

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am very unsure what you debunked here? I literally posted the archived link from a month or so ago with 3 people on the team. I guess maybe the fact that I said there was not any listed currently. Sorry, I missed that Kelly Baxter wasn't removed from the website yet. Is that the big gotcha moment again? Kelly Baxter is still listed on the Bills website after quitting?

I cited that in my response: https://web.archive.org/web/20200630095801/https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

One more time for the people in the back. The Buffalo Bills, and only Buffalo Bills employed  marketing team was listed as 3 people one month ago on the Bills website. The list of employees you gave are PSE employees.  They are also listed for the Sabres because they are PSE. What was reported by Graham is factually true. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/team/staff

the pse folks also work on accounts ranging from the stadiums, the minor league teams, the one buffalo campaign, several restaurants and even the Marriott, in case helpful to share specific examples 

all of those orgs almost certainly each still have an in house person or two also depending on specific needs (the amerks probably having more need than the bakery for instance where I’d guess it’s a sales, marketing and events consolidated single position)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Honestly do not give a single *****.

Why do the Bills even need a Marketing department? Are there people in Buffalo who are unaware of the team? Do they think they are expanding the fan base with a cool billboard?

I always got a laugh when people referred to Russ Brandon as a "marketing genius". All it takes to market the Bills in Buffalo is posting the schedule. Folks show up.

Maybe what you said is part of the problem.  To keep Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft happy the Bills are going to have to market well outside of Erie County.  There may be two problems with that depending on the reality inside of PSE.  Either the people just gone were not going to have any part of that or the Pegula's were not going to give them the resources to do so.  I could see either scenario being the case.  I see hammer heads just on this board and the old BBMB who do/did not want people outside of Erie County to be Bills fans.  I have worked for employers that have high aspirations but will not commit one penny to make those aspirations a reality and the Pegula's might be just that type of employer.  

Edited by RochesterRob

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

You people hoping for the bills to become a mess are hilarious.

We had a nice 15+ year run where we were a total dumpster fire.

Nathan Peterman was the rock bottom moment, but holy *****, we've really rebounded since then.

It's still surreal that people are talking about this team actually contending for a championship.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, no doubt them buying the Bills was a good thing. That doesn’t mean that they are good at running the business. Those 2 things aren’t related. 

What's wrong with the business side?  Are they not making money?  Is there money they're leaving on the table?

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

not impossible.

do you think its reasonable to think that there was some sort of unpleasant atmosphere that contributed to them leaving? 

lots of things are possible here but one seems the shortest jump. And also happens to line up with a bit of a reputation we have heard of. and also is what the reporters seem to be trying to tell us. 

im not sure why some seem to be taking the idea that the report could be accurate personally. It’s not a huge deal even if true, but might be some insight behind the curtain.

Unpleasant atmosphere at the Bills?  See below.

And conversely, why are some so giddy and willing to believe these reports?  That's more telling.

Good point.  Plenty of white collar workers are leaving their jobs working for an NFL franchise in bunches.

Yeah, because it makes sense to leave a job at a winning and profitable NFL franchise during a job-killing pandemic over (allegely) "low morale."

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

You people hoping for the bills to become a mess are hilarious.

Yup.  And notice it's always the same crew. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Maybe what you said is part of the problem.  To keep Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft happy the Bills are going to have to market well outside of Erie County.  There may be two problems with that depending on the reality inside of PSE.  Either the people just gone were not going to have any part of that or the Pegula's were not going to give them the resources to do so.  I could see either scenario being the case.  I see hammer heads just on this board and the old BBMB who do/did not want people outside of Erie County to be Bills fans.  I have worked for employers that have high aspirations but will not commit one penny to make those aspirations a reality and the Pegula's might be just that type of employer.  

Bills already have fans outside of Erie County and have had them for years. I personally haven’t heard of anyone being upset about the team’s Canadian and Rochester-area fans but if they’re out there they’re wrong. As far as beyond those areas, I’m not sure how many more you’re going to convert regionally with Browns’ and Steelers’ country so close.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's wrong with the business side?  Are they not making money?  Is there money they're leaving on the table?

Unpleasant atmosphere at the Bills?  See below.

And conversely, why are some so giddy and willing to believe these reports?  That's more telling.

Yeah, because it makes sense to leave a job at a winning and profitable NFL franchise during a job-killing pandemic over (allegely) "low morale."

Yup.  And notice it's always the same crew. 

Why do persist in asking questions as though you don't already know the answers to them?

"Even though lacrosse is different than hockey and hospitality is different than football, the common thread is Terry and I. When one affects the other, we personally have a bigger trickle-down affect than someone who maybe has one business they own and all they do is that one business. Unfortunately, we’re going to get hit pretty big across all of our entities."

“Terry and I, that’s our No. 1 goal: to make sure we’re viable, sustainable,” she told The News

What is your man JW's take on this "reported" turn of events?  Is he making it up too?  

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

to be fair, the PSE folks work for 20+ non bills accounts. So that the local reporters are telling you that the bills in house marketing team has all departed is still potentially very true.

@Kirby Jackson could probably shine a lot of Light structurally here but I’d venture most teams have a few in house folks and and outside contractor as well. That we list the outside contractors full team on our website is likely the only unique factor here, based on my much more limited knowledge.

I don’t know the exact structure there and it seems to be evolving. Typically the marketing team oversees game presentation, broadcast, graphic design, promotions and branding. There are other ends of it too but it is generally on the expense side of the ledger. Sales fall elsewhere.

Depending on the organization it may be developed internally and executed externally. As an example you ticket packaging would fall to this. The general look and branding will be developed by marketing and the design by your graphic design team (if you have one). The data that populates will come from the ticket operations department. By the time all of that is built out it will be outsourced to a company that will produce the material. It’s really like any business in that sense. A lot of development is done in house and then the production is outsourced.

The one area where it is unique is that almost all outsourced work in sports comes with elements of trade and not just cash. Companies are compensated in advertising, tickets, experiences as well as cash. It’s one of the reasons that teams make so much money. They leverage/force soft assets on businesses instead of just writing a check.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

They certainly aren’t operating at maximum potential. The NFL can afford mismanagement but you are starting to see the impact on their other businesses. I know people hate to hear it but Russ Brandon covered a lot of that for years. He was very strong at what he did and his team was too. Those guys have trickled our over the last couple of years too. It’s like any business in that you are only as strong as your leadership. The leadership on the business side has been messy. There’s no doubt about that.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:22 AM, Mr. WEO said:

They weren't fired, they quit----dream jobs in the most high profile pro sports league in the country--during a pandemic.

What facts do you think are still yet to be made known that would make this a good thing or not a bad turn of events for this organization?

Don't waste your breath.  There are a lot of clueless kool aid drinkers here.  Like mostly everyone.

Pegula is a train wreck of a pro sports owner.  

The Bills still enjoy the illusion of competence and success (at the moment) so the crowd here is more or less happy with Pegula.

Folks need to have a look at the Buffalo Sabres organization.  They are in a solid race with Ottawa as, by far, the worst organization in the NHL.

They are, over the time Pegula has owned them, the dead last worst team in the NHL.

True story.

And it's not just a poor record on the ice that I'm talking about.

It's a really poorly run, ugly, dysfunctional organization making tons of fundamental mistakes all the time.

Best thing that can happen to Sabres fans is for the Pegulas to sell the team and focus on the Bills.

Best thing for Bills fans remains to be seen.  

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do persist in asking questions as though you don't already know the answers to them?

"Even though lacrosse is different than hockey and hospitality is different than football, the common thread is Terry and I. When one affects the other, we personally have a bigger trickle-down affect than someone who maybe has one business they own and all they do is that one business. Unfortunately, we’re going to get hit pretty big across all of our entities."

“Terry and I, that’s our No. 1 goal: to make sure we’re viable, sustainable,” she told The News

What is your man JW's take on this "reported" turn of events?  Is he making it up too?  

What, that morale is low outside the football department?  Shocker.  Take a look outside: it's low everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They certainly aren’t operating at maximum potential. The NFL can afford mismanagement but you are starting to see the impact on their other businesses. I know people hate to hear it but Russ Brandon covered a lot of that for years. He was very strong at what he did and his team was too. Those guys have trickled our over the last couple of years too. It’s like any business in that you are only as strong as your leadership. The leadership on the business side has been messy. There’s no doubt about that.

We're in a global pandemic.  Hospitality and minor league teams have been decimated because they rely on foot traffic.  Thankfully the Bills don't and they can keep the other businesses afloat, but without having a crystal ball, there's no way to tell when and how this is going to end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm still confused why people are going out of their way to try really hard to destroy the credibility of this? 

Because they are religious believers when it comes to the Bills, and have suffered through so much, for so long, they have shut off the part of their brain that says "something is wrong here" when it comes to anything Bills related.

This is why, for example, most folks here are dead convinced this will be the year Josh Allen turns into Drew Brees. 

What if Allen just sucks, you ask?  That is too dire a thought to bear contemplating for most here.

So their psyche tells them Allen is a star in the making, despite all evidence to the contrary.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

What, that morale is low outside the football department?  Shocker.  Take a look outside: it's low everywhere.

We're in a global pandemic.  Hospitality and minor league teams have been decimated because they rely on foot traffic.  Thankfully the Bills don't and they can keep the other businesses afloat, but without having a crystal ball, there's no way to tell when and how this is going to end.

How many other team's' staffs are quitting over that?

How many of your colleagues have walked out because it's low everywhere?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many other team's' staffs are quitting over that?

How many of your colleagues have walked out because it's low everywhere?

As Kid in CA stated, it was just one person.  One doesn't appear to have left and the other was some kid who left to go to grad school.

And no one's voluntarily leaving a job right now.  Unless they have a better one lined-up.

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It took some years, before Drew Brees turned into Drew Brees.

Yup.  It wasn't until his 4th season that he showed anything.  The Chargers even drafted his replacement after his 3rd season.

• Like (+1) 1