Bills announce no fans for 1st 2 home games

"Thank you for your continued support through this challenging offseason. We hope you and your family and friends are staying safe and healthy.

In June, New York State issued COVID-19 guidance to allow professional sports to be played without spectators. After much discussion and collaboration with the State and Erie County, those guidelines will remain unchanged for at least our first two home games against the New York Jets on September 13, and the Los Angeles Rams on September 27. We fully support New York State’s efforts to keep New Yorkers safe and will continue working together, along with the NFL, to establish policies and procedures that hopefully permit fans later this season.

We appreciate your patience and continued support of the Bills, and we will communicate any changes or future ticket sales dates in the weeks ahead.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your account representative."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

Seems like a nice change from the previous stance which leaves the door open for fans at future games. Good call.

I give it a 1% chance that they’ll change their tune for games 3&4 (and beyond).  The narrative will either be “cases are SKYROCKETING since kids are back in school!!!!!” or “let’s continue to be as safe as possible so we don’t end up like those southern states”.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RiotAct said:

I give it a 1% chance that they’ll change their tune for games 3&4 (and beyond).  The narrative will either be “cases are SKYROCKETING since kids are back in school!!!!!” or “let’s continue to be as safe as possible so we don’t end up like those southern states”.

I know it's hard to believe but maybe bring careful now gets us games later.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There is no reason to go this far with it. They could allow spread out fans and mandate masks, it would be fine.

I think it boils down to, it’s easier to just throw your hands up and say “no fans allowed!” than to come up with a workable plan for letting people in at a reduced capacity with the proper guidelines.   There’s no way on earth it absolutely can’t be done, especially with the technology and manpower at the organization’s disposal.

This is assuming that there’s no underlying political pretext here with the learned officials who were part of the “much discussion and collaboration”...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Very frustrating to hear.  

Probably will boil down to red state teams get fans and blue state teams don't, at least initially.

Yup.  Everyone is setting policy (and narrative) based on who they want to win in November.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Very frustrating to hear.  

Probably will boil down to red state teams get fans and blue state teams don't, at least initially.

Yep.  It’s a self-inflicted wound.  

3 minutes ago, TBDlurkerSINCE07 said:

You're pointing to Texas and Florida in your examples, two of the worst states for the virus right now. Not exactly helping with your argument that NYS is not doing a good job, with one of the lowest virus rates at the moment.

Lowest numbers at the expense of destroying small business across the state

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TBDlurkerSINCE07 said:

You're pointing to Texas and Florida in your examples, two of the worst states for the virus right now. Not exactly helping with your argument that NYS is not doing a good job, with one of the lowest virus rates at the moment.

Yeah remember when Disney World opened up and cases skyrocketed. Me neither.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Another power trip from Cuomo.  I live in Texas and have been going to see the Sugar land Skeeters Independent league baseball team play.  The stadium is at 25% capacity and it's extremely safe.  There is no reason not to allow fans into games.  I look forward to cheering on the Bills in Miami where Republican government is allowing life to get back to some sense of normalcy and not overreaching on their power.

I think there's about 175,000 reasons not to allow fans into games.  But don't let that stand in the way of reason and prudence

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think there's about 175,000 reasons not to allow fans into games.  But don't let that stand in the way of reason and prudence

Man, if only there were other outdoor activities recently where large quantities of people gathered together (in very close proximity) that could be used as a guideline... hmmmmm...

• Haha (+1) 1

Stinks that there wont be any fans for the 1st 2 games, but at least they didn't commit to the whole season being that way. Theres still hope that with the extra time the powers that be can come up with a plan to make fans in attendance work. Also gives everyone a chance to see how everything works out with the other teams that allow fans to attend.

If they show it can be done without any big increases in cases, they'll be more likely to emulate them.

If it fails well then we're sol.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

Issue with opening stadiums for fans is first you need to control entrance and it is hard to get fans to line up on time, not argue with security, keep distance going thru stadium, buying drinks and food and get to seats at reasonable amount of time including spacing.  Then you have the drunks not keeping socially distant starting fights and the freedom brigade who might be willing to wear mask to get in but like the smokers used will break rules and complain when security enforces it.  Then while it easier to plan for people coming in people tend to leave in patterns which hard to plan for.

Maybe they could auction some smaller number of seats with all proceeds going toward eventual PSL costs.  Could make a bunch of money since those advocating PSL seem to also advocate raising prices to eliminate riffraff.  They could also raise parking costs since they will need to have social distancing between vehicles.

I think the Bills should do a modified plan allowing families of each player allowed into stadium.

There could be a section for each player's family well distanced from other families and would help repay families for effort they need to do on this effort.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What was the point of this announcement?  Cuomo ruled out NYS pro sports with fans in the stands weeks ago.  It's been out of the Bills/NFL's control since then.

Maybe Bills were negotiating secretly trying to get it changed.

LOL negotiate with Cuomo

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know it's hard to believe but maybe bring careful now gets us games later.

That’s my hope.  Meanwhile we’re flinging doors open at primary and secondary schools without care as to how to safely get kids in the door on the first day and seeing a bubbling at universities that suggests trouble is inevitable.  A little patience would go a long way. I’d really like to get in the stadium this year, and staying home in September is one of the best ways to do it. 

29 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Yep. Find the death rates per case for NY vs FL or TX and check back.

The virus mutates.  And death isn’t the only effect.  But why let common sense get in the way of a good argument.  

Bottom line in this forum is that, while we won’t get into the first two games, we have a chance to see the inside of the stadium after that.  And this is a good thing.  So let’s all show a little respect for one another, wear a friggin’ mask when in public, and hopefully we can all get back to normal sooner than later. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If you don't live here why do you care?

Because I’m from there, i have a lot of friends and family that live there. I’m watched my hometown go to ***** and i wish it would be nice to visit

• Like (+1) 2