Go BOLD - 2020 NFL Bold Predictions

GunnerBill

Good afternoon folks, the 2020 season is less than a month away and so it is time for some BOLD predictions. We are after at least TWO Bills specific and at least TWO non-Bills bold predictions for the season ahead. I always do 8 (4 and 4) and going back to 2017 I nailed 5 of my 8 bold predictions.... I haven't got close to that since.... but here is this year's attempt:

NFL wide

• The Cleveland Browns not only return to the playoffs for the first time since 2002 but they go on and win a playoff game
  • The Dallas Cowboys will have the best regular season record in the NFC and will secure the #1 seed
  • Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees all call time on their career and retire after the season
  • The Seattle Seahawks miss the playoffs and Pete Carroll steps down

Bills specific

• Stefon Diggs leads the AFC in receiving yards and is voted a first team all pro
  • AJ Epenesa finishes the season with more sacks than Mario Addison
  • Dawson Knox throws a touchdown pass
  • Ed Oliver leads the Bills in sacks with 9

So there are mine, flame away!!!

Let's hear yours.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

NFL wide:

• The Baltimore Ravens do not win the AFC North
  • Alex Smith will see regular season action for the Washington Football Team

Bills specific:

• Josh Allen finishes in the top-5 in NFL MVP voting
  • The Bills go 6-0 in the AFC East
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Whole thing gets shut down by november.

I agree. BUT, my BOLD prediction is that the NFL then bubbles up, restarts before Xmas, and plays another 4-6 games to get to the playoffs.

Our running game is NFL1.

Our defense is NFL1.

Dallas goes 4-12. 

Tampa Bay plays in the first home-game Super Bowl.

Love your list! Here’s the couple I REALLY want to see:

1. Josh throws for 4000+ yards with a 64% completion percentage 

2. Singletary rushes for 1200+ yards

3. Moss scores most TD’s on ground for us with punishing runs between the tackles

4. Knox proves he not only belongs but that he is our first ‘real deal’ TE in forever

• Like (+1) 2

NFL Bold

• Ravens miss the playoffs
  • Lions win the NFC North (There's always one last place team that wins their division the next year.. it's written in stone)
  • Not a single QB who starts week 1 misses time because of Covid.. until the playoffs

Bills Bold

• Knox less than 5 drops
  • Allen will have more than 4600 total yards (rushing + passing + receiving yards earned when Knox throws him the TD as half predicted by @GunnerBill)
  • Oliver leads the team in sacks
Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

NFL wide

• The Ravens will not make the playoffs.
  • The Dolphins will finish 2nd in the AFCE and have a winning record; but will narrowly miss out on a Wild Card.
  • Brady will play less than 10 games and retire as soon as the season is over.
  • Alex Smith will play 16 games and the Washington Football Team will make the playoffs.

Bills specific

• Singletary will average over 5 YPC and have over 1,000 yards.
  • Tommy Sweeney will be the most productive TE on the team.
  • Josh Allen will have over 30 TD passes and a completion % above 60.
  • Tre White will lead the league in INTs and be the NFL's DPOY.
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I agree. BUT, my BOLD prediction is that the NFL then bubbles up, restarts before Xmas, and plays another 4-6 games to get to the playoffs.

Man, idk if I can handle that seeing as “playoff” hockey in August is already bigtime effing with my internal clock.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

NFL wide

• The Ravens will not make the playoffs.
  • The Dolphins will finish 2nd in the AFCE and have a winning record; but will narrowly miss out on a Wild Card.
  • Brady will play less than 10 games and retire as soon as the season is over.
  • Alex Smith will play 16 games and the Washington Football Team will make the playoffs.

Bills specific

• Singletary will average over 5 YPC and have over 1,000 yards.
  • Tommy Sweeney will be the most productive TE on the team.
  • Josh Allen will have over 30 TD passes and a completion % above 60.
  • Tre White will lead the league in INTs and be the NFL's DPOY.

Some good bolds there Gug. I mean I think you have no chance of getting the Ravens right...  but it is certainly bold! On the other hand I think Miami finishing 2nd and being above .500 but missing the playoffs is a really good one and has a chance of coming off. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

GunnerBill Great topic!

NFL

1. Philip Rivers, Big Ben and TB12 suffer season ending injuries and their respective teams miss playoffs
  2. AZ Cardinals win NFC West
  3. There is a 21 day hiatus mid-season due to COVID 19

Bills

1. Bills sweep AFC West
  2. Bills beat Pats 2x but split with Fins
  3. Singletary has more TD catches than TD runs
  • Like (+1) 2

NFL WIDE:

1. Brady* calls it quits before the end of the season.
  2. Lamar Jackson takes a step backwards.
  3. Shaq Lawson gets named to the pro bowl.
  4. The NFL competition committee has to become involved more than once to threaten teams attempting to tank the season.

BILLS:

1. AJ Epenesa starts by week 8.
  2. By mid-season, either Corey Thompson, or V. Joseph, or Tyrel Dodson supplants AJ Klein (who turns out to be a disappointment) as starter.
  3. The Dolphins become our biggest threat in the AFCE.
  4. Ike Boettger makes the 53.

Edited by Rocky Landing

NFL Wide

1) Houston Texans will go from top to bottom of their division

2) Arizona Cardinals will win their division & win a playoff game

3) Lamar Jackson will be viewed as an 'average NFL starting QB

4) Belichek's last season

5) Brady passes for over 4,000 yards

Bills

1) Win the division

2) Bills will keep two of these three "kickers", Bass, Hauschka and Vedvik as an emergency kicker/punter and Bojorquez will get cut if Vedvik stays

3) Jake Fromm and Dodson will start a game, probably the  last game of the year

4) Esepenza will replace Hughes  as starter by mid-season

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

BILLS

1. Stefon Diggs becomes the first Bills WR to have more than 1,200 yards in a season since Lee Evans in 2006.

2. Moss has a Karlos Williams-esque rookie year.

3. Ed Oliver will have 12 or more sacks.

4. Tre White will win DPOY.

5. The Bills will be top 5 both defensively and offensively in the NFL.

NFL

1. The Bengals will win 8 games.

2. San Francisco will not make the playoffs.

3. Houston will finish below .500 and be 3rd in their division.

4. KC will have a SB hangover and have to battle all the way to Week 17 for the division.

5. Ben Ro will win Comeback Player Of The Year as he leads Pittsburgh to the AFC North division itle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

AFC/NFC Div Champs:

Cleveland, Buffalo, Indy, KC. Dallas, Detroit, NO, Arizona

Bills: Hyde, Edmunds, Milano, White, Allen, Diggs, Motor make PB, Feliciano returns earlier than expected, Bass replaces Housh, we have 2 Covid cases..

• Like (+1) 1

I have stated numerous times that I have a hard time envisioning the NFL season lasting much past week 4 or 5 before being suspended or cancelled.

For the sake of fun, though, I shall ignore that sentiment here and proceed as if an entire season will take place.

NFL wide

• The Jets will have the worst record in the AFC East and Adam Gase will be fired by season's end
  • The Dolphins will win 9 or more games.
  • Cam Newton will start the majority of games at QB for the Patriots, who will miss the playoffs
  • Lamar Jackson will regress significantly, the Ravens will struggle to make the playoffs
  • Ryan Tannehill will fall back down to earth, the Titans will finish with a losing record
  • Patrick Mahomes will win league MVP, the Chiefs will repeat as Super Bowl Champions
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire will finish the season as RB1 in fantasy football
  • After Dwayne Haskins struggles early on, Alex Smith will replace him as starter for Washington and will win Comeback Player of the Year
  • Tom Brady will have an excellent year for the Bucs, who will make the playoffs. In 2021, he will fall off a cliff skills-wise, Manning style, and retire after the season
  • After another frustrating playoff exit for the Saints, Drew Brees will retire

Bills specific

• Zach Moss finish with more touchdowns than Devin Singletary, but Singletary will have more yards from scrimmage
  • Josh Norman will win the CB2 job, keep it all year, and return to elite form
  • Josh Allen will produce 35 total touchdowns and receive his first Pro Bowl nod
  • Vosean Joseph will fill in for Milano for a few games due to injury and will show so well that the Bills think twice about re-signing Milano
  • Dawson Knox will be a breakout star on offense
  • Dane Jackson will prove to be an absolute steal of a 7th rounder and will wind up playing significant minutes at CB
  • The Buffalo Bills will win the AFC East for the first time since 1995 !!!
  • Like (+1) 1

NFL - The Buccaneers will not make the playoffs. They currently have the 5th best Super Bowl odds so I consider that a bold prediction. I just think Brady is done and he will hold them back.

Bills - Moss will end up with more snaps than Singletary.

NFL

The Browns continue their epic tradition of missing the playoffs.

The Buccaneers miss the playoffs.

Patty Mahomes has a down year, but the Chiefs are still really good.

Bills and AFC East

The Bills win the AFC East with 10+ wins.

The Bills win their first playoff game in 1,000 years, but only win one.

The Jets and Patriots split with the Bills.

Bills sweep the Dolphins.

The Jets aren't as bad as everyone hopes, winning 6 games.

The Patriots win only 6 games.

The Bills have a top 12 offense and a top 5 defense.

Bills Players

Josh Allen throws for 30+ TD's and rushes for 6+.

Josh Allen's completion percentage is over 60%.

Devin Singletary rushes for over 1,100 yards.

Tre White has a slight down year but the defense is still really good.

Ed Oliver records 8+ sacks, including a safety.

Edited by MJS

I like the people predicting Arizona win the NFC West. I nearly went with that but I just think their D will let them down. I have them 2nd behind San Francisco. They are going to be good though the Cardinals and they will be a threat if they make the post season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like the people predicting Arizona win the NFC West. I nearly went with that but I just think their D will let them down. I have them 2nd behind San Francisco. They are going to be good though the Cardinals and they will be a threat if they make the post season. 

I think division is the toughest to predict in the league. I think San Fran regresses a bit, the Rams improve from last year, but not back to super bowl level, and the Cardinals take a huge step forward. Seattle has a top 3 QB in the league, so they will be competitive regardless of what's happening with their defense. Any of those teams can finish 1-4. 

But this is the bold predictions thread...

All 4 make the playoffs

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I think division is the toughest to predict in the league. I think San Fran regresses a bit, the Rams improve from last year, but not back to super bowl level, and the Cardinals take a huge step forward. Seattle has a top 3 QB in the league, so they will be competitive regardless of what's happening with their defense. Any of those teams can finish 1-4. 

But this is the bold predictions thread...

All 4 make the playoffs

I have the Seahawks 4th in the division at 8-8. Despite Wilson. In my mind they have the worst starting oline and dline combo in the NFL. If the game is won upfront the Seahawks will go 0-16. Fortunately for them while I agree with the spirit of that old adage having an elite QB hides many ills. 

• Like (+1) 1

- Because of a limited training camp, and NO pre-season games, there will be some numerous injuries across the NFL come week 1.

- At some point during the season, COVID will cause a pause either for a single team, or maybe even the entire NFL.

- Allen takes some steps forward, but also continues to take too many sacks, and has too many turnovers.

- The Bills will be competitive, but will not win the AFC East.

- If the NFL makes it to seasons end, the playoffs and SB, will be played before ZERO fans.

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

- Because of a limited training camp, and NO pre-season games, there will be some numerous injuries across the NFL come week 1.

- At some point during the season, COVID will cause a pause either for a single team, or maybe even the entire NFL.

- Allen takes some steps forward, but also continues to take too many sacks, and has too many turnovers.

- The Bills will be competitive, but will not win the AFC East.

- If the NFL makes it to seasons end, the playoffs and SB, will be played before ZERO fans.

Sorry I missed it, where are your BOLD predictions?

• Thank you (+1) 1

NFL:

- 3 Teams from the AFC North make the playoffs (Ravens, Browns, Steelers) with Pittsburgh as the division winner.

- Kyler Murray wins MVP

- Pats miss the playoffs

- Cowboys and KC have the 1st round byes

Bills:

- Win the AFC East by 2+ games

- Allen goes to the Pro Bowl

- Win a playoff game

- Addison has < 5 sacks

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bills win AFCE crown 

Mariota replaces Carr in Vegas 

I agree. It will be very interesting to see how David Carr handles it. He used to be unbearingly smug a few years ago when his brother was getting all the hype. Not so much to be smug about these days. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

NFL WIDE:

1. Brady* calls it quits before the end of the season.
  2. Lamar Jackson takes a step backwards.
  3. Shaq Lawson gets named to the pro bowl.
  4. The NFL competition committee has to become involved more than once to threaten teams attempting to tank the season.

BILLS:

1. AJ Epenesa starts by week 8.
  2. By mid-season, either Corey Thompson, or V. Joseph, or Tyrel Dodson supplants AJ Klein (who turns out to be a disappointment) as starter.
  3. The Dolphins become our biggest threat in the AFCE.
  4. Ike Boettger makes the 53.

Would be quite impressed with Lawson making the Pro Bowl while being opt out for the season. 

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Norman come back player of the year.

Browns win 12 games.

Justin Jefferson wins ROTY

Dobbins rushes for 1k plus

SF doesn’t win 10 games. 

Like all of those except Jefferson. If he wins rookie of the year the rest of the rookies must have got Covid. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Like all of those except Jefferson. If he wins rookie of the year the rest of the rookies must have got Covid. 

We will follow this one! Obviously we disagree but your comment is gold. Well done. 

Edited by CommonCents

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I have stated numerous times that I have a hard time envisioning the NFL season lasting much past week 4 or 5 before being suspended or cancelled.

For the sake of fun, though, I shall ignore that sentiment here and proceed as if an entire season will take place.

NFL wide

• The Jets will have the worst record in the AFC East and Adam Gase will be fired by season's end
  • The Dolphins will win 9 or more games.
  • Cam Newton will start the majority of games at QB for the Patriots, who will miss the playoffs
  • Lamar Jackson will regress significantly, the Ravens will struggle to make the playoffs
  • Ryan Tannehill will fall back down to earth, the Titans will finish with a losing record
  • Patrick Mahomes will win league MVP, the Chiefs will repeat as Super Bowl Champions
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire will finish the season as RB1 in fantasy football
  • After Dwayne Haskins struggles early on, Alex Smith will replace him as starter for Washington and will win Comeback Player of the Year
  • Tom Brady will have an excellent year for the Bucs, who will make the playoffs. In 2021, he will fall off a cliff skills-wise, Manning style, and retire after the season
  • After another frustrating playoff exit for the Saints, Drew Brees will retire

Bills specific

• Zach Moss finish with more touchdowns than Devin Singletary, but Singletary will have more yards from scrimmage
  • Josh Norman will win the CB2 job, keep it all year, and return to elite form
  • Josh Allen will produce 35 total touchdowns and receive his first Pro Bowl nod
  • Vosean Joseph will fill in for Milano for a few games due to injury and will show so well that the Bills think twice about re-signing Milano
  • Dawson Knox will be a breakout star on offense
  • Dane Jackson will prove to be an absolute steal of a 7th rounder and will wind up playing significant minutes at CB
  • The Buffalo Bills will win the AFC East for the first time since 1995 !!!

I think this is all probable but I don’t think that KC repeats. I think they are too cocky and I really am not a believer that they are good enough in the trenches to repeat. 

Edited by Locomark