THE GAME CHANGER

The trade for Stefon Diggs changed the franchise 100 %. You can calculate all of the variables of Josh Allen’s third year and his increased chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley. The continuity of the O line. The maturation of Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox. Even the re-emergence of Robert Foster and Tyler Kroft. But the simple addition of Diggs is the game changer. Put yourself in the Defensive Coordinator of our opposition. And I know it’s more complicated than how I’m explaining it. But in 2019 CB 1 you got Brown. CB2 you’ve got blank. Slot guy shut down Beasley. 
 Now fast forward to that same Defensive Coordinator in 2020. CB1 you got Diggs ( yikes ?). CB2 you got Brown. And so on .... I know everyone gets the idea. Now add Moss, Davis, and Hoskins among others. The offense has been much improved. I’m guessing Beane is not finished. This is now a Championship level team . Enjoy the ride. ?

• Like (+1) 14

It IS more complicated than that, you're right. But you're also right that allowing Brown and Beasley to work against CBs one step down on the depth chart will help them have more potential success. And, of course, you'd think defensive gameplans will additionally account for Diggs at times, with safeties rolled over the top of him and linebackers buzzing underneath him. Not sure the opposition had to do much of that player-specific scheming last season, which one hopes even further opens up the other options in the passing game, and even maybe more impactfully, spills over into how they defend our run game. 

We hope to see a cascading series of positive impacts, not the least of which should be Diggs's own game-changing production.

• Like (+1) 4

Step one is to win the division and win a playoff game. I'd like to see that before I start proclaiming anything about this team as championship caliber.

But yeah, things are a lot better than they were during the drought. It's nice to root for a good team.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

The trade for Stefon Diggs changed the franchise 100 %. You can calculate all of the variables of Josh Allen’s third year and his increased chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley. The continuity of the O line. The maturation of Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox. Even the re-emergence of Robert Foster and Tyler Kroft. But the simple addition of Diggs is the game changer. Put yourself in the Defensive Coordinator of our opposition. And I know it’s more complicated than how I’m explaining it. But in 2019 CB 1 you got Brown. CB2 you’ve got blank. Slot guy shut down Beasley. 
 Now fast forward to that same Defensive Coordinator in 2020. CB1 you got Diggs ( yikes ?). CB2 you got Brown. And so on .... I know everyone gets the idea. Now add Moss, Davis, and Hoskins among others. The offense has been much improved. I’m guessing Beane is not finished. This is now a Championship level team . Enjoy the ride. ?

The Bills have gone from a team with only a few high level players a few years ago, to high level talent at almost every position:

Defensive line

Linebacker

Secondary

Quarterback

Running back

Wide receiver

If the offensive line (and Brian Dabol) can take the next step this year, I agree.  With Williams or Nsekhe rising to the occasion at right tackle, and Ford doing the same at right guard,  the Bills should have one of the best teams in the league.

with 30 -count ‘em, THIRTY WRs chosen in this Draft, nearly every team has a better WR grouping from last season. Contrast this with the meteoric rise in quality DB capabilities and the view evens out a little. Is there even a team left sporting the likes of Deonte Thompson, Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Kaelin Clay, Andre Holmes & Logan Thomas, as we did in ‘17. ?

While most allude to this now all coming down to Allen, few acknowledge -let alone NONE of his haters- just how adept his field vision has already developed. Our new Top 3 are nothing if not separators and as the ever-repeating draft tv graphic stated, he faced the 3rd most rush pressure of all QBs. That he still completed 58% of his passes -most of which weren’t short- speaks to this. 

I think we’re all a little guilty of over hyping this rarified air we’re breathing, for being fans of a competitive team. 

But, we haven’t ‘arrived’. Yet..

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We will wait and see just how much the Diggs trade will change the fortunes of this franchise. What I hope is that Diggs comes in and is this team's WR1 for the next 3 seasons and maintains a high level of production the next 2 seasons. That would add the needed punch to the offense and provide the gains over a long enough period of time to justify the significant draft capital and cap space put into it. 

"I'm gonna wait until they win a championship before I proclaim them a championship caliber team"

Gee, what fun. How bold.

It's a ***** message board. A place where people give assessments, and opinions of where the team is in it's development. No one is gonna get hurt.

I pretty much agree with the OP, I expect this team to make it to the AFC Championship game, at least.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think what this does is put the heat squarely on Allen and the oc 

groceries have been delivered

I think they (Allen and the OC) can pretty much perform at the same level, and get lots better results.

Having a guy like Diggs and not having Frank Gore on the field for 370 plays, are very different circumstances. And if the rest of the guys just maintain, it's gonna be glorious.

And of course, I fully expect Allen to at least get a little better anyway.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 2

Underrated ability that Diggs has.... getting open while working into the QBs vision during a scramble. Our WRs sucked at this last year. Sweaney was perhaps the only pass catcher who seamed to reliably find holes in coverage during a scramble, get Allen’s attention, and hold onto the ball. 

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

While I applaud your optimism, can we wait until the team takes the field before we make such bold proclamations?

Nonsense.  It's clear we've won the off season yet again, and have had the best draft in the league.  Again.

16-0 seems likely.  

? 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

The Bills have gone from a team with only a few high level players a few years ago, to high level talent at almost every position:

Defensive line

Linebacker

Secondary

Quarterback

Running back

Wide receiver

If the offensive line (and Brian Dabol) can take the next step this year, I agree.  With Williams or Nsekhe rising to the occasion at right tackle, and Ford doing the same at right guard,  the Bills should have one of the best teams in the league.

MD, I’ll agree with you on every position, but QB.  Before anyone gives me a hard time, I’m rooting for Allen, and hope he is a top QB in the next couple of years, but I wouldn’t categorize a QB who had completion ratings of 53%, and 58% as high level talent.  Most analysts state they evaluate a QB as being good with a minimum of 65% or more.  Look at Brees (high level talent) who has been as high as 70+% at times.

Again, I like Josh, and am rooting for him, I just can’t call him high level talent yet.  I’m hopeful he can get above 65% this year with this talent.

• Like (+1) 1

Such boring people replying to this OP. As of right now, I don't think there is any arguing against the claim that Beane built a championship-caliber roster. There shouldn't be any arguing on here against the claim McD is a good coach. Yeah, yeah, that gotta play the game. Who the hell doesn't know that? Stating the obvious is boring.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

We will wait and see just how much the Diggs trade will change the fortunes of this franchise. What I hope is that Diggs comes in and is this team's WR1 for the next 3 seasons and maintains a high level of production the next 2 seasons. That would add the needed punch to the offense and provide the gains over a long enough period of time to justify the significant draft capital and cap space put into it. 

I know this trade has been discussed over and over again, but your use of the word significant implies you think it was a massive overpay on the Bills part. What do you think a fair trade would have been for him? What is he going to have to do to justify the trade? I think just by adding him and now Moss the Bills have become incredibly difficult to defend 

9 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

how does he change the franchise 100%.....from what? We added a top WR that will improve the team, of course

10 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

While I applaud your optimism, can we wait until the team takes the field before we make such bold proclamations?

That would sort of negate the need for this message board, no?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

MD, I’ll agree with you on every position, but QB.  Before anyone gives me a hard time, I’m rooting for Allen, and hope he is a top QB in the next couple of years, but I wouldn’t categorize a QB who had completion ratings of 53%, and 58% as high level talent.  Most analysts state they evaluate a QB as being good with a minimum of 65% or more.  Look at Brees (high level talent) who has been as high as 70+% at times.

Again, I like Josh, and am rooting for him, I just can’t call him high level talent yet.  I’m hopeful he can get above 65% this year with this talent.

As Giselle said, “ He can’t catch the passes too!”

If our receivers and TEs has dropped half as many balls, including HUGE drive ending drops against NE and Baltimore and Texan’s in the Playoffs, JA’s numbers are looking a little better to the Stat Quoting doubters.

31E22C8C-E126-40AC-8728-434FD93C5018.png

Edited by Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I know this trade has been discussed over and over again, but your use of the word significant implies you think it was a massive overpay on the Bills part. What do you think a fair trade would have been for him? What is he going to have to do to justify the trade? I think just by adding him and now Moss the Bills have become incredibly difficult to defend 

With the draft haul we still got and getting Diggs, it shows what a good GM Beane is.  We literally did not need the picks we traded to Minnesota (1st 5th and 6th)  We got a top seasoned WR who is a stud, and some great talent in the draft.  Anyone who says we way overpaid for Diggs doesn't know Beane, the Bills needs, and how to build a solid competitive NFL team.   Bravo to Brandon Beane.  He has put together an amazing offseason!!  Now its up to McDermott and staff to get the most out of this very talented group of players.  So pumped for the upcoming season!

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I really appreciated this from Cover 1. Not sure if it’s been posted prior, but it supports the OP’s point. 

If you want to get excited about Diggs all over again, watch this.

Diggs is what we thought Sammy Watkins was going to be.   

Look at the names on the backs of the corners that Diggs leaves in the dust:  Slay, Gilmore, Sherman.   He undresses guys.   And then he catches the ball, wherever it is.   Oh, and he's fast.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

With the draft haul we still got and getting Diggs, it shows what a good GM Beane is.  We literally did not need the picks we traded to Minnesota (1st 5th and 6th)  

It sounded like a lot when the deal happened.   In retrospect, it's easier to see.  What would the Bills have done with a 5th and a 6th?    They would have added another Jake Fromm and another Tyler Bass.    Both could make the team, but only because they are special cases - Bills needed a young back-up QB and decided to take a shot to improve at kicker.   Chances of finding a guy who would crack the 53 at by competing for the usual positions was pretty small.   

Instead, the Bills traded those two picks to upgrade from a rookie receiver with a learning curve ahead of him to a young veteran who already knows it all. 

You know, it's kind of amazing that Beane and McDermott were working in Carolina a little over three years ago.   Today, they're in Buffalo doing wonders, and Carolina has a new GM and a new HC.   An object lesson of how an owner can make a difference.   

I like Diggs and all, but aren’t we inflating his abilities a bit? 

He’s been in the league 5 years now and has two 1,000 yard seasons. 

He is among the several #1 type WR’s in the league, but is not a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones HOF presence.

I doubt NFL Defensive Coordinators are dumb-founded with things that they can try to slow down Allen, Diggs, Brown and Beasley. 

It’s more of a reflection of how far the Bills have come since trotting out Benjamin, Kerley and Jordan Matthews a few years ago. 

12 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Yes Diggs is good. But I feel like he is being talked about like he is Jerry Rice/Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson. 

The team is better. But this is a upgrade. Very similar to any team that upgrades its #1 WR. Good yes. But to use your title - game changer...no. Many teams have 3 WR at our quality. 

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is among the several #1 type WR’s in the league, but is not a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones HOF presence.

I doubt NFL Defensive Coordinators are dumb-founded with things that they can try to slow down Allen, Diggs, Brown and Beasley. 

It’s more of a reflection of how far the Bills have come since trotting out Benjamin, Kerley and Jordan Matthews a few years ago. 

Exactly. People are getting ahead of themselves here at acting like we got the best player in the NFL. 

58 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Huck -

I think the value of the Megatrons and Joneses is overstated.   At the end of the day, there is only position that makes a dramatic difference, multiple points per game, and that's QB.  

But having said that, I look at the video of Diggs and can't imagine a player who can make the offense better to a greater extent than Diggs.   What I like about him particularly is that he is a threat all over the field, in every aspect of the game.   Johnson and Julio Jones don't run the jet sweep, Diggs does.   They can't run the quick dig routes that slot guys thrive on; Diggs does.   (Not that those guys don't run quick slants, and their size admittedly makes them better targets.)   They don't go deep better than Diggs.   He does everything.  

And I watch that video and  see him devouring the best corners in the league on press coverage.  

And then I imagine that kind of talent added to the current receiving corps and as I said, it's hard to imagine a player having a greater impact.   He will make Brown more valuable, he will make Beasley more valuable, he will help Allen significantly.   

Defensive coordinators will have difficulty scheming against them, but you're right, it's not a mystery.   They will have plans.   The problem they will have is personnel.    They can scheme, but if they want to play man coverage, how does their number 2 corner look against Brown?  How does their nickel man match up with Beasley?   If they want to play zone all day, fine.   Can't play zone and blitz a whole lot.   

That's why I think it's all on Daboll and Allen.   These skill position players should be tough to stop.  

was There someone @22 that the Bills could have taken that could have helped as much as Diggs?  Can’t wait to see how this offense looks with the Diggs & Moss additions and another year of continuity for the Offensive Line. Obviously the season will depend on the right arm of Josh Allen. Beane made Josh’s job much easier. 

20 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

They are taking bets in Las Vegas on NFL team's Super Bowl odds...it's not too early go on message boards and make assessments of any team.

Talking about QB decision making and OC playcalling, I see it this way.  Both just got "smarter" because of Diggs.  Go from the 2018 situation where few players win on their routes to 2020 where they are winning at all levels.  There are fewer bad places to go with the ball and plays that fail.

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Yes Diggs is good. But I feel like he is being talked about like he is Jerry Rice/Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson. 

The team is better. But this is a upgrade. Very similar to any team that upgrades its #1 WR. Good yes. But to use your title - game changer...no. Many teams have 3 WR at our quality. 

Exactly. People are getting ahead of themselves here at acting like we got the best player in the NFL. 

You nailed it! Yes, we’re all gullible school aged kids with starry eyes?. We’ve easily been duped that 2 close road playoff losses in 3 seasons by an ever improving team who just added the League leader in deep pass receptions and 3 straight All Pro seasons is a piece that puts us over the top.

Thank GOD you’re here to slap us back into reality!

Where would we be without you??

[Sarcasm effin’ Off!]

On 4/27/2020 at 7:41 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Okay,  by the middle of this season you will will consider Josh Allen a high level talent and will never look back..