Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

6 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If he starts shredding our defense in practice that is enough for me. He probably won’t play against a better defense all season. 

You just never know with QB’s, you can only hope that they develop and are productive. Only time will tell with the QB position but I do hope he shreds our defense in 11 on 11’s 

Iron sharpens iron....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How many great comebacks did he lead?

I do not think he will be the next Bills player to be a NFL head coach.

Fromm had a much better college career than Reich. Reich backed up Boomer at Maryland. 
I’m telling you, Jake will be loved by the coaches. I think Jake has a real shot at beating out Barkley. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How many great comebacks did he lead?

I do not think he will be the next Bills player to be a NFL head coach.

Not about comebacks. Cerebral, not a huge arm, definite contrast in skills to the QB ahead of him, team guy. Could not care less if he becomes a head coach (though I've heard it speculated in interviews by those that know him that it is a path he may well pursue at some level)

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The thing is when he talked about going to Buffalo he talked about hunting and FISHING!

Oh my, maybe if he stays away from his college buddies in Georgia, he’ll be alright fishing. Something about country boys, water activities, and the possible addition of cheap beer never goes well. 

--Poor build 
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

VS

• Lacks premium physical tools
  • Arm talent and velocity are below average
  • Must consistently win with placement and timing
  • Allows release point to drop, and throws lack tight spiral
  • Needs pinpoint placement on tight-window throws
  • Receivers forced up against boundary by floaters
  • Disappointing deep-ball accuracy since 2018
  • Began missing easy throws in November
  • Had five-game run where he failed to complete 50 percent of his passes
  • Will be heavily reliant upon skill-position talent
  • Below-average mobility

Guess who is who?  Really crazy how similar the combine notes are.

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

I hope Fromm becomes the greatest clipboard holder in the history of the NFL.

Which means he NEVER sees the field because Allen is HEALTHY.

Or the Bills develop him behind Josh (While having Barkley as a short term option) and after 2-3 years they can flip him for a good pick? For a 5th round pick when you have no glaring needs on the roster I don't see the harm in having a guy developing on your bench into either a solid backup 2 years from now or trade bait.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:41 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is going to one of those guys who isn’t very good, will have one good drive and some people will go crazy for him, will suck every time he plays after that, but will stick in the NFL for a long time because the coaches like him while they pray he never plays.

seems like a good dude and I liked him on QB1. But I see no upside for a college game manager who was the worst NFL talent of the 3 qbs Georgia had.

but it will be awesome when this thread gets pumped after he leads a td drive in the 4th quarter of a preseason game against the Lions Peterman or Tuel style.

Sounds kind of like Matt Barkley. Dude had 1 good game for us against a bad team and has somehow been solidified here as a high quality backup in spite of the rest of his career. 

I didn't love the Fromm pick but I was 100% all for drafting a QB to create some competition for that backup spot. I wasn't nearly as sold that we had a good backup situation in place. 

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Clemson isn't SEC

You do realize that is the same year Clemson won the National Championship and beat Alabama who was ranked #1 and plays in the SEC. That was the same Clemson team who also beat the #2 playoff seed Ohio St before beating Alabama. So, I think it’s safe to say Clemson is on par with any SEC team the last few years and it pains me to even admit that as a UGA fan. Peterman and Pitt gave Clemson their only loss that year. 

I will add Alabama’s only loss that year was to Clemson. 

Edited by Iverwig
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

You do realize that is the same year Clemson won the National Championship and beat Alabama who was ranked #1 and plays in the SEC. That was the same Clemson team who also beat the #2 playoff seed Ohio St before beating Alabama. So, I think it’s safe to say Clemson is on par with any SEC team the last few years and it pains me to even admit that as a UGA fan. Peterman and Pitt gave Clemson their only loss that year. 

I will add Alabama’s only loss that year was to Clemson. 

Ya, but it's a different animal playing in the SEC game after game.  Guys like Eason and Fields had to leave the conference because they couldn't beat out Fromm, you really think Peterman would have?

The ACC just isn't very good anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

Fromm is the perfect Qb to fit Dabolls system.   He has the entire skill set to run the offense exactly how the Bills intended. 

This offense was designed around the West Coast from day one with Dennison, and moved into a different version of it, Earhart-Perkins, with Daboll. 

Daboll has tailored his offense around Allen, but Fromm is actually tailor made to naturally run this offense. 

You people just don't get it yet.   OBD is not sold on Allen. Its been a wait and see game and if he doesn't get it done this year they are prepping for the future. 

Fromm is the insurance policy. 

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Fromm is the perfect Qb to fit Dabolls system.   He has the entire skill set to run the offense exactly how the Bills intended. 

This offense was designed around the West Coast from day one with Dennison, and moved into a different version of it, Earhart-Perkins, with Daboll. 

Daboll has tailored his offense around Allen, but Fromm is actually tailor made to naturally run this offense. 

You people just don't get it yet.   OBD is not sold on Allen. Its been a wait and see game and if he doesn't get it done this year they are prepping for the future. 

I can't tell if you're delusional or being sarcastic.  No team prepares for the future with a 5th round QB who is undersized and has a below average arm.  At best he's being looked at as Barkley's replacement since Barkley's contract is up after 2020.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Ya, but it's a different animal playing in the SEC game after game.  Guys like Eason and Fields had to leave the conference because they couldn't beat out Fromm, you really think Peterman would have?

The ACC is weak yes but Clemson is not weak and has as much talent as anyone. You posted Clemson isn’t the SEC which it isn’t but they are as talented as any team in the country and would still be a great team no matter what conference they played in. 

Peterman sucks no doubt but don’t make it seem like Fromm flat out beat Eason or Fields for the job head to head because that wasn’t the case. 

49 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Fromm is merely a backup QB until proven otherwise.  Hopefully he's good enough to challenge Josh but that remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

The ACC is weak yes but Clemson is not weak and has as much talent as anyone. You posted Clemson isn’t the SEC which it isn’t but they are as talented as any team in the country and would still be a great team no matter what conference they played in. 

Peterman sucks no doubt but don’t make it seem like Fromm flat out beat Eason or Fields for the job head to head because that wasn’t the case. 

I actually think that was exactly the case.  They all three were on the same team and Fromm was the starter.  That to me is beating the other guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Fields didn't have to leave the conference cus he couldn't beat out fromm

They tried playing the long game with him and sitting him a year and it backfired

Nobody alive could tell me they'd rather have Fromm then fields. It was a mistake 

Entrenched college starter's don't lose their jobs. You can lose it to injury, Eason, or playing bad. Even Tua didn't start his whole freshmen season till they were losing in the championship and Hurts did nothing

But you don't lose it after going to the national championship like fromm. He wasn't and isn't a better QB than Fields, he was a captain QB

Edited by Buffalo716

42 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I can't tell if you're delusional or being sarcastic.  No team prepares for the future with a 5th round QB who is undersized and has a below average arm.  At best he's being looked at as Barkley's replacement since Barkley's contract is up after 2020.  

He's the insurance policy.  I don't care that he went in the 5th.  He was never meant to drop to the 5th.   We know this much because our GM stated it clearly. 

Hasselbeck, Gannon, Brunell, Bulger, Johnson, yea late rounders are more than capable, especially when they dropped in the draft, they fit your system, and you have no real answer if your current Qb flounders. 

Fromm will be on the team and most likely 2 by the start of the season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fields didn't have to leave the conference cus he couldn't beat out fromm

They tried playing the long game with him and sitting him a year and it backfired

Nobody alive could tell me they'd rather have Fromm then fields. It was a mistake 

Entrenched college starter's don't lose their jobs. You can lose it to injury, Eason, or playing bad. Even Tua didn't start his whole freshmen season till they were losing in the championship and Hurts did nothing

But you don't lose it after going to the national championship like fromm. He wasn't and isn't a better QB than Fields, he was a captain QB

Actually Fields probably would have stayed if they did sit him that year but the coaching staff thought it would be a good idea to bring him in to run 1-2 plays to hand the ball off. You are correct though Fromm was not better than Fields. However, not to take anything from Fromm he was good but he was just never as talented as Fields. 

3 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Actually Fields probably would have stayed if they did sit him that year but the coaching staff thought it would be a good idea to bring him in to run 1-2 plays to hand the ball off. You are correct though Fromm was not better than Fields. However, not to take anything from Fromm he was good but he was just never as talented as Fields. 

Well they couldn't RS fields because that stupid 3 plays a game and it backfired

If they RS him they have a chance

At best Fromm could be a serviceable back up. Anyone who thinks he can be a franchise QB is beyond optimistic. A serviceable starter is a huge stretch imho. Stop gap guy and back up QB isn't bad for a 5th round pick. His arm strength is beyond poor. The combine exposed that. He can't overcome that big of a deficit in the NFL. Super cerebral guy who may squeak a win or 2 out is fine with me. I like the pick because we have nothing to lose. Just my 2 cents

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

He's the insurance policy.  I don't care that he went in the 5th.  He was never meant to drop to the 5th.   We know this much because our GM stated it clearly. 

Hasselbeck, Gannon, Brunell, Bulger, Johnson, yea late rounders are more than capable, especially when they dropped in the draft, they fit your system, and you have no real answer if your current Qb flounders. 

Fromm will be on the team and most likely 2 by the start of the season. 

Yes, I believe that Fromm could be a starter.  He’s smart and a winner.  I’d put him in same category as Staubach, Montana, and Daddy Manning.  He might not be a freak athlete like Josh, but Cam wasn’t  winner.  I hope Josh is.  It’s all about matching a skill set with a system.  See Montana and Brady.  Go Bills!!

On 4/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Back2Buff said:

Fromm is way better than Peterman.  Peterman in the SEC wouldn't even start.

Fromm processes information at a ridiculous rate.  Peterman was literally throwing the ball into the CB or Safety hands.

Fromm reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He knows where to put the ball, but sometimes you are scratching your head with the accuracy on the throw.

He didn't fare too well in the last 5 games of his career at Georgia having a sub 49% completion percentage in all of them. That's about as bad as it gets. Only time will tell and from what I've seen of him I would definitely say Fitzy has the stronger arm of the two. Fact is, aside from Brady & Brees, there aren't any other QBs you can point to that have below average arm strength and still exceed in today's game and the biggest reason they can do it is because of all their NFL experience. On top of that the NFL is going in another direction at the QB position, where QBs are duel threats, beating you with their arm and legs. Pocket passers are becoming a thing of the past & I believe once Brady, Brees & Rivers retire the transformation will be nearly complete.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Agree. 

I did the same and came away unimpressed.

Barkley is way better than Fromm. Not even close. 

Yeah, unfortunately it’s an uninspired pick...I see him being signed to the practice squad...and even after Barkley’s contract expires next year, we should still bring in another vet QB to compete for the backup job...championship teams always have solid backups...?

Edited by JaCrispy

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Does anyone think the Bills will carry 3 QB’s this year?

I just don't see how the numbers would work.

I'm interested if they will expand roster this year due to not having a rookie minicamp.  You should be allowed to have rookies on roster that don't count towards the 53 man roster.

• Like (+1) 1