Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

1 minute ago, Perry Turtle said:

And the guy who drafted Petermann, and signed McCarron, and blah, blah blah.

It's a 5th round pick, he can make a mistake.  It's not going to break anything.

Just don't see the logic of replacing Barkley with a Barkley clone without the experience.

Hope that he sucks bro! More power to ya.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll bite. Cuz it’s now incredibly boring?

Look at how much fun we had with our 5th round choice! I think Beane is messing with us.....you wait and see what he has in store for the 6th. This is going to be VERY entertaining! Maybe a long snapper? The USC cheerleaders? IDK, but it should be good! 

This says a lot about how McBean feels about their roster. They likely don’t see a need that outweighs the value of a backup QB at this point in the draft. They probably thought that any other 5th rounder they would pick wasn’t likely to make the roster anyway. 

If he develops above expectations, he become trade bait in the next couple of years (ala Jimmy G). If he hits a relatively low ceiling, he’s a career backup. That’s a win-win scenario. 

It’s not a question as to whether Fromm starts, it’s whether any other pick on the board is likely to make the team. If not, then this is a great pick, even if it’s a risk. There is too much high side value in having a backup QB on a rookie contract. That could save 5+ million in cap space alone.

My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yawn. What else ya got kid?

No offense but your Peterman love makes me question your ability to evaluate QBs. He’s LITERALLY the worst QB to ever play and you wanted more of him.

Josh Allen took massive strides in year 2. He makes plays with his arm and legs. He’s competitive as hell. He is great in the 4th quarter. He wins. He leads. If you aren’t happy with Josh Allen 2 years in but you were happy with Peterman before and after the Chargers game we don’t have much to discuss. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, MAJBobby said:

If Fromm becomes your 10 year BU to your 20 year QB would that be a wasted 5th round pick?

what if flipped for a 2nd in 3 years a wasted pick?

Those would both be GREAT situations. I think that he will be the backup this year. My whole point (and I’m clearly not articulating well) is that his ceiling is really low. He could be like a McCarron now but he isn’t ever going to be much better than that IMO. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

No offense but your Peterman love makes me question your ability to evaluate QBs. He LITERALLY the worst QB to ever play and you wanted more of him.

Josh Allen took massive strides in year 2. He makes plays with his arm and legs. He’s competitive as hell. He is great in the 4th quarter. He wins. He leads. If you aren’t happy with Josh Allen 2 years in but you were happy with Peterman before and after the Chargers game we don’t have much to discuss. 

Funny how the "worst QB to ever play" is still in the league, and as much as I loved him, our coach and GM loved him more, because they started him at the risk of their professional careers and financial well being.

You really need to get a new angle, because you're making yourself look foolish after years of not getting it.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If Fromm becomes your 10 year BU to your 20 year QB would that be a wasted 5th round pick?

what if flipped for a 2nd in 3 years a wasted pick?

For the record, I don’t see it as a waste at all. I see it as value. Now, I have no idea how it will turn out, but we all want to see them go for value, right? If he can become a solid backup or be flipped for a higher pick, that’s a win where we took him. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He's a smart,  accurate QB who reads defenses well,  played at a high level for several years in a major conference and is known as a good worker and team leader.  I think his arm is fine,  especially considering that they're asking him to be a backup.   Its a good pick in R5. 

This.  And he throws NFL type routes better than anyone not named Burroughs.  Back shoulder, timing passes on outs etc.  He has unreal touch.  Again. Dawgs fan...hes far from perfect but he is going to be an nfl QB for 10 plus years because hes smart l...and works hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Perry Turtle said:

Me too, because Beane will be trading him before the season, and we certainly don't want that team getting the 'next Brady.'

And bless your heart, bro.

Lol, why would anyone trade for a drafted player already on the block. 

Use ur brain one time for me.