Bills sign OL Garrett McGhin

Here's an excerpt from the East Carolina football bio of him:

Also offers unmatched leadership capabilities and skills, both on and off the field, and ranks among the program’s most popular and community service-minded players … Flexibility and a “team-first” attitude has enabled successful contributions at every position on the offensive line during career …

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Another former Panther.  This is getting ridiculous...

"Keep your friends close."

I own a car that has 284k on it. It's nearing death, but it's still good to know every sound, how it's been taken care of, etc. vs. ditching it before it's truly dead.

Glad to see Beane continuing to tinker a bit with the OL. While far better than the 2018 disaster, 2019 still had ways to go to improve. I am all for continuity - but nothing wrong with bringing in a few extra bodies and letting em compete.

FWIW, here is the lowdown on GMG, who we know from last season - he was signed as an UDFA and released. From East Carolina. He then did the reverse Carolina Buffalo connection - and made the Panthers active roster before getting injured. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_McGhin

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/garrett-mcghin?id=32194d43-4733-4413-1166-ffe5aed6ae48&akmobile=android

Really long arms and size. I remember thinking of him as a power mover rather than a zone scheme guy. So maybe, just maybe .. adding 2 and 2 to make a five ... a Fournette trade / power RB draft pick is gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

This guy will solve the Covid 19 pandemic and become a world wide sensation.....you heard it here first!

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. And I shall solve all problems related to society and to thy Bills organization. Go in peace."

image.jpeg.5a8e8c486e988a8834fef0bcbe6633dc.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

We are most definitely not drafting an OL this year.

Sorry to disagree MV - IMO, it is a near certainty that we draft an Olineman. That Oline still needs some improvement. Nsekhe and Ford combined for 12 penalties - hope Ford continues to develop (he was my favorite pick last year - so I am all for him to succeed) but be prepared for the worst / injuries. Protecting the right Josh should always be the number 1 priority. And this is the deepest Oline prospect list in a draft in years.

FWIW, Robert Hunt can make an excellent round 2 pick, though he does needs to get stronger.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

I wonder if he's still got PS eigibility.

Also, for depth and competition, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see similar types of signings, due to the possible difficulties getting uDFAs signed this year.

Go with someone you know about.

Edited by Buddo
Typo

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Sorry to disagree MV - IMO, it is a near certainty that we draft an Olineman. That Oline still needs some improvement. Nsekhe and Ford combined for 12 penalties - hope Ford continues to develop (he was my favorite pick last year - so I am all for him to succeed) but be prepared for the worst / injuries. Protecting the right Josh should always be the number 1 priority. And this is the deepest Oline prospect list in a draft in years.

With all of the offensive linemen we've already signed and considering that we have a lot of later picks in each round, I just don't see us getting someone to potentially develop into a starter.

• Like (+1) 2

He was a Bills UDFA first.  They must have liked him last year, he went on IR during camp and then was released, then  pick up by the Panthers,.  He went from their PS and actually played a few games for the Panthers before getting hurt again. 

This acquisition is like getting a 6th/ 7th rounder so Beane can possibly toss one of his 6/7 rounders into a minor move up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

With all of the offensive linemen we've already signed and considering that we have a lot of later picks in each round, I just don't see us getting someone to potentially develop into a starter.

Your comment was no doubt logical. Every Olineman signed pre-draft does reduce the likelihood of drafting another. All I am saying is - I am just not sure McGhin signing moves the needle enough. Also, this is just my opinion and I have been wrong more times than not.

But a Hunt or a Simpson are worth taking flyers on. Hunt comes from a  small school - can play tackle and guard - was fantastic in the Cajun run game and can be a starter. Simpson is just the opposite - played for a big name college program - held Quinnen Williams in check in the national title game last year - so has a puncher's chance of developing into a starter. That said, any prospect picked 4th round and beyond does face astronomical odds of becoming a starter - so you are not wrong there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

He was a Bills UDFA first.  They must have liked him last year, he went on IR during camp and then was released, then  pick up by the Panthers,.  He went from their PS and actually played a few games for the Panthers before getting hurt again. 

This acquisition is like getting a 6th/ 7th rounder so Beane can possibly toss one of his 6/7 rounders into a minor move up.  

Or he may nab a 5th/6th rounder, for 2021. That's one of the many things I love about Beane.