Kirk cousins says that playing without fans would be refreshing

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2886678-vikings-kirk-cousins-says-football-without-fans-would-kind-of-be-refreshing.amp.html 

I’ve never liked this guy, I don’t blame Diggs for wanting out of Minnesota.

After poor fan behavior we played a couple games in an empty gym.  It was refreshing in the short term.  It put the focus on the game rather than the show.  After a couple games it got old though and you missed the environment.

• Like (+1) 1

Quote in context....

"Honestly, we practice every day in an empty grass area and pump in fake crowd noise for away games. But more often than not, you're used to it. OTA practices don't have a lot of pomp and circumstance to them. So honestly to go out and just play the game would kind of be refreshing, a breath of fresh air, to just let us know that we don't have to have all the smoke and the fire, we can just play football. So as long as we're playing the game, I won't have a lot of complaints, and hopefully if it's still not returned to normal, we can find a way to make it work."

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Quote in context....

"Honestly, we practice every day in an empty grass area and pump in fake crowd noise for away games. But more often than not, you're used to it. OTA practices don't have a lot of pomp and circumstance to them. So honestly to go out and just play the game would kind of be refreshing, a breath of fresh air, to just let us know that we don't have to have all the smoke and the fire, we can just play football. So as long as we're playing the game, I won't have a lot of complaints, and hopefully if it's still not returned to normal, we can find a way to make it work."

Context sucks, what do you want us to do with our pitchforks?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's just making the best of the situation. He never said he'd prefer to play without the fans all the time.

"So as long as we're playing the game, I won't have a lot of complaints ..."

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Without fans you aren’t cashing those big boy checks. 

The NFL’s television deals pay the salary cap for the entire league so Cousins would probably still be getting some pretty big checks. 

Just sayin’.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

If you’re not stoked to have 75,000 people screaming for you or against you, then the NFL isn’t your bag. ? 

I agree with this.  I want the guys who want the whole challenge.  The fans are part of the challenge.

I'm glad he's not in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Quote in context....

Love the quote by Cousins. I honestly don’t think they would care as much as fans seem to think they would. These guys play 8 home and 8 away games. It would be great for the away team. Wouldn’t even need silent snap counts. 

34 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He's just making the best of the situation. He never said he'd prefer to play without the fans all the time.

That monster.....

12 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Love the quote by Cousins. I honestly don’t think they would care as much as fans seem to think they would. These guys play 8 home and 8 away games. It would be great for the away team. Wouldn’t even need silent snap counts. 

The networks could add crowd noise to the broadcasts like they do with golf and bird chirps and songs. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing wrong with what he said,   hey Kirk, thanks for not getting along with Stefon by the way, ?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this.  I want the guys who want the whole challenge.  The fans are part of the challenge.

I'm glad he's not in Buffalo.  

Cousins did lead the 7.5 point underdog Vikings INTO New Orleans and lead a Overtime Winning Drive capped with a TD pass.

Now playing in New Orleans...in that dome...with their fans...that sounds like a challenge?

Perhaps?  ???? Oy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

He’s allowed to have his opinion, I just don’t understand or agree with it. If I’m a football player, I want fans in the stands just to show the world has returned to some sense of normalcy. It’s a downer going to work everyday only to be reminded the world isn’t normal right now. Cousins probably just gets paid enough to make none of that matter to him. There’s a reason he doesn’t seem to be well received by teammates. 

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

He’s allowed to have his opinion, I just don’t understand or agree with it. If I’m a football player, I want fans in the stands just to show the world has returned to some sense of normalcy. It’s a downer going to work everyday only to be reminded the world isn’t normal right now. Cousins probably just gets paid enough to make none of that matter to him. There’s a reason he doesn’t seem to be well received by teammates. 

It ain’t that complicated, what he said was totally fine. Context, it’s way tricky... 

• Like (+1) 1

Crowd noise is one of my favorite things about watching the games. Especially away games, when you can here the home crowd silenced after a big play and the visiting crowd cheer. Like in Pitt and Tennessee last season, you could just tell there was a lot of Bills fans there. Maybe they can dub in crowd noise or pump it on the speakers like Atlanta used to do ?.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It ain’t that complicated, what he said was totally fine. Context, it’s way tricky... 

I hate sounding all grumpy old man about random things players say, but Cousins did say “we don’t need all the smoke and fire”, which in my mind translates to game day with fans. He’s entitled to his opinion. It’s just ironic that he wouldn’t have a job without the “smoke and fire”. It sounds arrogant to me. He could have said something like “I just want to play, regardless of whether we can have fans”. That would have even upset some, but instead he talks about practice and OTA’s, and how you don’t need “fire and smoke to play the game”. Well, actually you do need the “fire and smoke” because without it, football wouldn’t exist. 

Edited by SirAndrew

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

If Josh had said the same thing, the thread title would be “Josh Allen shows that he’s a gamer who just wants to play anywhere, anytime, in any circumstances”.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I read the actual full quote, and although it adds context, it can still be interpreted as Cousins saying he doesn’t care if the fans are in the stadium. He’s absolutely entitled to his opinion. Those of us who view that quote as sounding a bit arrogant/self-absorbed are also entitled to an opinion. Personally, I want to see people back out living their life everywhere, including attending football games. If Cousins is happy to not get booed, that’s cool too. 

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I hate sounding all grumpy old man about random things players say, but Cousins did say “we don’t need all the smoke and fire”, which in my mind translates to game day with fans. He’s entitled to his opinion. It’s just ironic that he wouldn’t have a job without the “smoke and fire”. It sounds arrogant to me. He could have said something like “I just want to play, regardless of whether we can have fans”. That would have even upset some, but instead he talks about practice and OTA’s, and how you don’t need “fire and smoke to play the game”. Well, actually you do need the “fire and smoke” because without it, football wouldn’t exist. 

Much ado about nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

If Josh had said the same thing, the thread title would be “Josh Allen shows that he’s a gamer who just wants to play anywhere, anytime, in any circumstances”.

Josh would have mentioned how awesome the fans are, but stated that he’s ready to play no matter what the circumstances are. I just can’t picture that quote coming from Josh in the same manner as Cousins. I love how Josh carries himself, and have never been a big fan of how Cousins carries himself. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Josh would have mentioned how awesome the fans are, but stated that he’s ready to play no matter what the circumstances are. I just can’t picture that quote coming from Josh in the same manner as Cousins. I love how Josh carries himself, and have never been a big fan of how Cousins carries himself. 

Maybe he’ll carry himself better while throwing 26 TDs and 6 INTs again next year in an empty stadium.

• Thank you (+1) 1