Bills, Denver & Titans interested in DJ Reader (signed with Cin)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good.  I'm surprised to learn this though:

Jordan Phillips, Bills

Although Phillips recorded 9 1/2 sacks, he had just 19 additional pressures. He can play defensive end or tackle.

Anyone able to explain to me when/how Phillips showed he can play DE?

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  He's a true NT, maybe a 0 -1 tech.  Doesn't fill  Jordan Phillips role. 

Unless they expect to move Harrison Phillips to 3 tech?  Would that work?  Anyone?

I always thought Phillips was too small to play 0-1 tech full time. As for 3 tech, I think he would be good enough to spell Oliver there. I'm all for going after Reader.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless they expect to move Harrison Phillips to 3 tech?  Would that work?  Anyone?

McDermott likes a deep bench on the defensive line. I could see them switching between Star and Reader with the intention of this being Star's last year. Phillips would be versatile depth. That's how I can possibly make sense of this.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott likes a deep bench on the defensive line. I could see them switching between Star and Reader with the intention of this being Star's last year. Phillips would be versatile depth. That's how I can possibly make sense of this.

I think they expect more out of Phillips than 'versatile depth', as they should from a 3rd round pick going into his 3rd season.

Rotating two DLmen you're paying a total of $20-21M is ....odd, and might still leave us with a Jordan Phillips size hole at 3-tech rotation.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Harrison Phillips was seen more as a nose tackle despite being undersized, because he's very stro0ng and his wrestling background gives him great understanding of hand usage and leverage.  He was seen as having somewhat limited "burst" to get into the backfield and be disruptive.  Before he was injured, however, he was working pretty hard to be more explosive.  It's not out of the question for McDermott to think he's got some upside at 3 tech.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TigerJ said:

Harrison Phillips was seen more as a nose tackle despite being undersized, because he's very stro0ng and his wrestling background gives him great understanding of hand usage and leverage.  He was seen as having somewhat limited "burst" to get into the backfield and be disruptive.  Before he was injured, however, he was working pretty hard to be more explosive.  It's not out of the question for McDermott to think he's got some upside at 3 tech.

Fair enough, but....

If they're thinking he's an upgrade over Star, then sure. 

As it stands, they have Star and Phillips at 1T and Oliver at 3T. So they need another 3T, and Reader ain't that. I know that Phillips is coming off an ACL tear, but he was a 3rd round pick just two years ago, was starting to come on last year and eat into Star's snaps, and they're not going to roster thee 1-techs.

Again, I do think Reader is a superior player to Star, so if they have replacing him in mind, then great. I just find it hard to believe that they'd have asked him to take a pay cut rather than cutting him outright. 

Seems like an odd use of the cap space, but he’d be a massive upgrade over Star and Aaron Wilson is very plugged in to everything Houston-related. Don’t think we can blow this report off though seems weird on the surface. 

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Star’s contract prevents this from being a viable option IMO. I like Reader quite a bit but don’t think it’s realistic.

How so?  They just moved the potential out in Star's contract through the 2021 season rather than 2020 season.  I doubt they cut Star until after 2021, but that doesn't stop them from bringing in another 1-tech and looking into shifting Harry Phillip to 3-tech, which is what I think they should explore doing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good.  I'm surprised to learn this though:

Jordan Phillips, Bills

Although Phillips recorded 9 1/2 sacks, he had just 19 additional pressures. He can play defensive end or tackle.

Anyone able to explain to me when/how Phillips showed he can play DE?

I think they mean 34 end or 5 tech spot

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe he would be an upgrade to Star.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Harrison may end up a 3. He is a gap shooter and is built for quick leverage and not a the bull that holds off blocks. Personally I don’t think Harrison is ever going to start for this team. 

I fully understand Buffalo’s interest in Reader, hence how everyone forgets how bad the run D was during portions of the year and Star was considered the main culprit............ and fan whipping boy. ?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I think Harrison may end up a 3. He is a gap shooter and is built for quick leverage and not a the bull that holds off blocks. Personally I don’t think Harrison is ever going to start for this team. 

Definitely right. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

He’s something between a 3-Tech and a penetrating 1 tech.... Kind of like Liuget.  ?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I fully understand Buffalo’s interest in Reader, hence how everyone forgets how bad the run D was during portions of the year and Star was considered the main culprit............ and fan whipping boy. ?

Bringing in Reader ,or Hargrave, would allow them to run a jumbo DT package. That’s a viable reason for McB to sniff around. Fritz Shurmur used to run zone blitz schemes with two NTs in several locations.... McD’s and Frazier’s mentor (Jim Johnson) was the D line coach for Shurmurs cardinals defenses. The schemes and ways to utilize personnel would be familiar to them. That’s something to consider here when we know we need to shore up the run D. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Star’s contract prevents this from being a viable option IMO. I like Reader quite a bit but don’t think it’s realistic.

Agree. I'd love to dump Star and sign Reader but the contracts just don't make it possible. 

Some of us really wanted the Bills to draft Reader when he was coming out of college..... he would be another tough loss for GM O'Brien in Houston. 

Players this young and talented don't usually hit the open market which is why the Bills should jump at the opportunity.  Good job BOB and have fun resigning Watson and Tunsil to record deals while having no 1st round picks this year or next.  Having Fluker and Star rotate in will only help Oliver and whoever replaces Jordan Phillips.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

"Fan whipping boy" and "main culprit" are 2 different things.

People who watch All 22 would tell you one of these is correct, and shockingly it's not the fans.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ALF said:

If the Bills lose Jordan Phillips and Harrison Phillips returning from a ACL . Star contract just redone , Shaq unknown if re-sign ,  the DL  could be a concern.

Jordan Philips isn’t coming back and Star is getting cut after this season.  This would be a great move

• Like (+1) 1

Also Trent Murphy is definitely gone next year and possibly this year and this will be Jerry Hughes last year with the Bills. Shoring up DL for future is key. 

They are not signing Clowney. I’m hoping they resign Shaq and draft Espensa

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1