Was Sean McDermott Involved With Ending The Buffalo Bills Message Board

It is the 3 year death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board.  Some time around March 2017, the “powers that be” shut it down.  

The BBMB was legendary in its own way.  It had some of the most hilarious takes and the posts were far more ridiculous than anything here.   It always crashed on game day - especially after a loss!  Bills fans clamored for hires like Russ Grimm as HC or Bryant Johnson at WR.  There was also a lot of negativity that the mods would immediately shut down.  You were also not allowed to criticize Ralph Wilson or Chris Brown.  

I’ve always wondered what happened and why after over a decade, the team suddenly wanted to shut it down.  It survived many changes in administration, coaches and even an owner.  But it was gone, shortly after two key changes within the org:

Sean McDermott was hired in January 2017

Derek Boyko was hired in February 2017

Is it possible that McDermott or Boyko made the call to get rid of the BBMB?  Boyko was officially hired on 2/23/17, but that doesn’t mean he started on that date.  So if it was Boyko, this literally would have been the first thing he did since taking over.  I don’t think he’d make moves so early into the job.

But then again, it was closed immediately, without any warning.  So perhaps it was a quick decision?

If it was anyone else at OBD, why wasn’t the call made earlier?  The message board had been around for over a decade and they saw no reason to shut it down before?

That leads me to McDermott.  He had been known to be a prepared, organized and an extremely hard worker.  Is it possible that his thorough “process” could have included how the team was being presented online, and that he came across the BBMB and said “shut it down?”

Like I said, there was a lot of negativity toward the team on the BBMB.  The team had not made the playoffs in 16 seasons and they were rightfully getting ripped apart on their own website.  It could be perceived as a bad look.  And McDermott was all about changing culture.....everywhere.  

On the surface level, it seems pretty foolish to think that a coach would be focused on that and would instead have pressing issues.  But again, McDermott is known to be thorough and detail-oriented.   I know he redecorated the signage around the building and in the locker rooms.  

The timing just seems weird and I really wonder whether McDermott and/or Boyko were behind this decision.  

Anyone know who made the decision?

Edited by Phil The Thrill

The nfl changed their software platform and made it mandatory that all 32 teams be on the same tech stack.

I actually work for the software company that helped with the transition. In 2018 the league switched over so it was probably pre-planned just sucks they didn’t warn anybody. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

The nfl changed their software platform and made it mandatory that all 32 teams be on the same tech stack.

I actually work for the software company that helped with the transition. In 2018 the league switched over so it was probably pre-planned just sucks they didn’t warn anybody. 

And NFL.com removed commenting on their website around the same time, so maybe it was a larger league thing.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember thinking “How can I preserve all my posts and threads for future reference?” So I downloaded everything (all content) from 2008-2017 onto my office server and refer to it from time to time just for some laughs. I have all of your hot takes captured for eternity. I’ll start the bidding at $10.00......

• Haha (+1) 6

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It is the 3 year death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board.  Some time around March 2017, the “powers that be” shut it down.  

The BBMB was legendary in its own way.  It had some of the most hilarious takes and the posts were far more ridiculous than anything here.   It always crashed on game day - especially after a loss!  Bills fans clamored for hires like Russ Grimm as HC or Bryant Johnson at WR.  There was also a lot of negativity that the mods would immediately shut down.  You were also not allowed to criticize Ralph Wilson or Chris Brown.  

I’ve always wondered what happened and why after over a decade, the team suddenly wanted to shut it down.  It survived many changes in administration, coaches and even an owner.  But it was gone, shortly after two key changes within the org:

Is it possible that McDermott or Boyko made the call to get rid of the BBMB?  Boyko was officially hired on 2/23/17, but that doesn’t mean he started on that date.  So if it was Boyko, this literally would have been the first thing he did since taking over.  I don’t think he’d make moves so early into the job.

But then again, it was closed immediately, without any warning.  So perhaps it was a quick decision?

If it was anyone else at OBD, why wasn’t the call made earlier?  The message board had been around for over a decade and they saw no reason to shut it down before?

That leads me to McDermott.  He had been known to be a prepared, organized and an extremely hard worker.  Is it possible that his thorough “process” could have included how the team was being presented online, and that he came across the BBMB and said “shut it down?”

Like I said, there was a lot of negativity toward the team on the BBMB.  The team had not made the playoffs in 16 seasons and they were rightfully getting ripped apart on their own website.  It could be perceived as a bad look.  And McDermott was all about changing culture.....everywhere.  

On the surface level, it seems pretty foolish to think that a coach would be focused on that and would instead have pressing issues.  But again, McDermott is known to be thorough and detail-oriented.   I know he redecorated the signage around the building and in the locker rooms.  

The timing just seems weird and I really wonder whether McDermott and/or Boyko were behind this decision.  

Let it go Phil, let it go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It is the 3 year death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board

some would say it’s also the 3 year death of TBD. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Call Forensic Files II.  Maybe they will do an episode.  Someone always leaves DNA.  McDermott thinks he is so smart by shaving his head but he slipped up somewhere.

Edited by 4merper4mer

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

More and more subject interests such as vintage car collecting are going to other forms such as using Facebook.  The talk was that the Bills were pushing fans to do the same thing versus having a team board.  

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Make all the jokes you want, but I’m getting to the bottom of this story.  

What story?

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Did anyone from that board make their way here?

I think that guy @Teef came from over yonder.  He's the only one I can remember besides the previously banned people that were welcomed back here.

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I remember thinking “How can I preserve all my posts and threads for future reference?” So I downloaded everything (all content) from 2008-2017 onto my office server and refer to it from time to time just for some laughs. I have all of your hot takes captured for eternity. I’ll start the bidding at $10.00......

Do you accept meadcoin? I have whorded mine for years now looking for the write opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

I recall getting reprimanded for calling Josh Reed a bum ??

Personal attacks on players will not be tolerated ;) 

I remember getting the ban stick for outing Trent Edwards sister when she was posting defending him under some obscure screen name :)

ban.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What story?

I think that guy @Teef came from over yonder.  He's the only one I can remember besides the previously banned people that were welcomed back here.

there are a number of us BBMBers still here.  

teef, royal, Foxx, Riverside (I think), a former mod TRC ?? Transplant and his sidekick jm2009 who accused every person a former banned poster. 

Doc and JohnC posted there as a few others. 
3 years I can’t offhand recall many more 

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Personal attacks on players will not be tolerated ;) 

I remember getting the ban stick for outing Trent Edwards sister when she was posting defending him under some obscure screen name :)

ban.gif

I called Rob Ryan  fat and got a point 

I called Transplant Big Kahuna and got a point. 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Haha (+1) 2

Perhaps it could have been part of the anticipated move to a new software plan.  or it could have been that new leadership personnel came in with a bias against message boards.  I don't think it was a specific reaction to what was happening on  BBMB.  When McDermott came in, he had a lot more important stuff to be doing than checking out a message board.

29 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

start a Thread . 

we’re you a member 

I never went there.  Not even once.  No particular reason.  I seriously never even gave it a thought.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Ah the good ol days when you had characters like SaviorEdwards, Dunkirk Dan and Butch from the Eastside.

“Member”! haaaaaaa

That dude was a legend and I always loved his posts for all the wrong reasons.

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hey Phil... How come this isn't in the form of a poll your usual mode of operation?

Hey this is a serious business investigation, there’s no room for silliness like a poll.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

there are a number of us BBMBers still here.  

teef, royal, Foxx, Riverside (I think), a former mod TRC ?? Transplant and his sidekick jm2009 who accused every person a former banned poster. 

Doc and JohnC posted there as a few others. 
3 years I can’t offhand recall many more 

Shaw66, Logic, myself (but I'm not that memorable), T&C ... others?

• Like (+1) 1