Mahomes buys entire restaurant dinner as thanks

He didn’t even do it at a top steak house! I’m glad we traded him!   :)

Seriously, I’ve got to love the guy a little for that, and I also admire the diners. Give celebrities a break! Let them eat in peace. That’s not too much to ask. I know some will feel “they make millions, and this is the price of fame!” I disagree, though I know it’s going to happen more often than not. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Pizza place?

The other diners probably were teens and 20-somethings who pay no attention to football.    The probably said something like "...Huh?   Who was that dude that just paid for our bread sticks?"

LOL....EVERYONE in KC knows exactly who Mahomes is.  It's impossible not to.

35 minutes ago, stevewin said:

So he paid for a few pizzas? 

? j/k

Other rumors about this same event say it was at a place called Axios in KC near where he lives.....it's somewhat fancy and known more for their french food than pizza....but I don't know for sure....could have been the local pizza hut for all I know.  ...and yes I did see that you posted as j/k :D

i will say, KC has always been VERY GOOD about letting the local sports celebrities enjoy some degree of privacy when they are out and about town.  I've been in restaurants with Neil Smith, Donnie Edwards and Tony Gonzales several times and no one bothers them or treats them differently really....other than gawking some....but in general, it's like we (KC area residents) know that part of the appeal is you can be Pat Mahomes and go out and kind of have a normal time out in public.  I've never been to Buffalo, but I'd guess or assume you all are pretty similar?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

LOL....EVERYONE in KC knows exactly who Mahomes is.  It's impossible not to.

Other rumors about this same event say it was at a place called Axios in KC near where he lives.....it's somewhat fancy and known more for their french food than pizza....but I don't know for sure....could have been the local pizza hut for all I know.  ...and yes I did see that you posted as j/k :D

i will say, KC has always been VERY GOOD about letting the local sports celebrities enjoy some degree of privacy when they are out and about town.  I've been in restaurants with Neil Smith, Donnie Edwards and Tony Gonzales several times and no one bothers them or treats them differently really....other than gawking some....but in general, it's like we (KC area residents) know that part of the appeal is you can be Pat Mahomes and go out and kind of have a normal time out in public.  I've never been to Buffalo, but I'd guess or assume you all are pretty similar?

How can they not recognize when Kermit The Frog is speaking.  I wonder if his girlfriend sounds like Miss Piggy?

Mahomes seems like a good dude.  Wonder if he'll pay after the Chiefs lose the SB.

1 minute ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

The legend of Doug Whaley lives on... 

Umm, McDermott (who was calling the shots that draft) passed on Mahomes.  We got Tre White, instead; not that I'm complaining at all.

• Like (+1) 1

The truth is that many pro athletes and other celebrities are real d-bags.  Nice to hear a story where a guy isn't.  We love Josh Allen, because he seems to be that kind of guy.  I've had a few encounters with Buffalo sports figures over the years.  A few years ago, I bumped into Marv Levy in the grocery store in the Chicago neighborhood where we both lived.  I was very polite, but I did introduce myself and had a brief conversation with him.  He was very friendly and had a great sense of humor.  Subsequent to that, I got to know his wife and stepdaughter a little bit, as they went to the Bills bar to watch a few games (Marv didn't join them).  Very nice people. 

A few years prior, I bumped into then-Sabres GM John Muckler at a bar in Chicago.  Granted, most people wouldn't have known who in the hell he was.  He was wearing a watch with a gold face that was a Sabres logo.  I also had a brief conversation with him and he was pretty cool.

Neither of these are quite the same as a Super Bowl QB at the height of his fame having dinner in a restaurant in his hometown.  That said, many years ago, I saw Jim Kelly at the Stuffed Mushroom in Buffalo.  I didn't attempt to talk to him, but he was with an entourage and was acting like a d-bag, strutting through there like he owned the place.  Around that same era, I saw a huge table of Bills having dinner at the old "Shooters" on the waterfront.  It was Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett and a few others.  Me and my friends didn't disturb them.  Most recently of all (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), I had dinner at Mulberry's in Lackawanna and Eric Wood was at the next table.  We didn't bother him and he didn't pick up our tab....

My apologies if I bored everyone with my many stories, but perhaps it would make a nice thread topic - where people ran into prominent Buffalo sports figures and what (if anything) happened.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A pizza joint where you pay after you eat??

Must be a KC thing.

I've been to a lot of pizza places that also have a sit down restaurant.  You can sit down and be waited on or you can take out pizza.  It certainly isn't a KC thing, I ate at one in Albany a couple of months ago and we ordered a pizza pie.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've been to a lot of pizza places that also have a sit down restaurant.  You can sit down and be waited on or you can take out pizza.  It certainly isn't a KC thing, I ate at one in Albany a couple of months ago and we ordered a pizza pie.

I've been to restaurants that  serve pizza among many other things.   And then maybe a Pizza Hut as a kid.

47 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nope, not uncommon at all. But perhaps it's uncommon where you live. Which apparently isn't KC or where I live.

like I said,  I don’t eat at Pizza Hut etc.  I get a pie or a slice and sit and eat or take it to go.  That’s how it works in the city

55 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nope, not uncommon at all. But perhaps it's uncommon where you live. Which apparently isn't KC or where I live.

In most nice places where you might eat pizza, the bill comes at the end. Not ALL, but most. What if you want another glass of wine, or somebody wants a dessert or coffee. Do you get a new bill every time someone orders another beer? Even dive bars want you to pay at the end, usually. There are exceptions, but.....

I honestly can’t remember the last time a got a “chain pizza”. Papa John’s and such....I’d rather go hungry most of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A pizza joint where you pay after you eat??

Must be a KC thing.

Paying after Is pretty normal in my experience. How do they know how many beers I want? 

Odds are it was Pizza Hut

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Patrick-Mahomes-says-Pizza-Hut-has-the-best-pizza-in-Kansas-City--506498691.html

Edited by Nester
  • Like (+1) 1

New York City has celebs everywhere and no one pays them any attention. I saw Karlie Kloss the model on the subway once. She didn’t make eye contact or invite conversation but I didn’t notice anyone really noticing.  A 6 foot tall supermodel on the subway go figure. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

like I said,  I don’t eat at Pizza Hut etc.  I get a pie or a slice and sit and eat or take it to go.  That’s how it works in the city

Pizza Hut, etc?  Lol, ignorant/arrogant assumption. My guess is that your definition of a pizza joint and mine differ. 

26 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

New York City has celebs everywhere and no one pays them any attention. I saw Karlie Kloss the model on the subway once. She didn’t make eye contact or invite conversation but I didn’t notice anyone really noticing.  A 6 foot tall supermodel on the subway go figure. 

Umm, my wife works mostly in NYC and I go on occasion. A tall skinny girl on the subway would not exactly be a “celebrity” to me, but what do I know? Props on knowing her name!  Bigger markets certainly allow greater freedom for “celebrities “. 

Nicer places with pizza  do not usually ask for payment until the end. I can think of a couple exceptions in Atlanta, one of which has one of the best pizzas. (Antico Pizza for the locals, they also don’t do by the slice which is the reason I don’t go there a lot for lunch.) 

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

In most nice places where you might eat pizza, the bill comes at the end. Not ALL, but most. What if you want another glass of wine, or somebody wants a dessert or coffee. Do you get a new bill every time someone orders another beer? Even dive bars want you to pay at the end, usually. There are exceptions, but.....

I honestly can’t remember the last time a got a “chain pizza”. Papa John’s and such....I’d rather go hungry most of the time. 

LAMP alert!!! Read on at your own discretion. The last time I can remember eating at a Pizza Hut was in Buffalo. For my birthday, my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me with a trip to a Bills game. Got off the plane, got the rental car and decided to get something to eat before we crossed into Canada (stayed at a hotel overlooking the Falls on the Canada side). Saw a Pizza Hut, seemed like a safe choice. It sucked, but it worked.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

LAMP alert!!! Read on at your own discretion. The last time I can remember eating at a Pizza Hut was in Buffalo. For my birthday, my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me with a trip to a Bills game. Got off the plane, got the rental car and decided to get something to eat before we crossed into Canada (stayed at a hotel overlooking the Falls on the Canada side). Saw a Pizza Hut, seemed like a safe choice. It sucked, but it worked.

Flashbacks! The last time I remember being in a Pizza Hut was in Minneapolis. It was right after a football game. Against the Redskins. In a Super Bowl. It was 9 degrees outside, and walking distance from the hotel. It just made the entire experience that much more sad......

I haven’t done “franchise pizza” in decades. I rarely do pizza at all, actually. Buffalo spoiled me, and I like to stick to “good” pizza. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Flashbacks! The last time I remember being in a Pizza Hut was in Minneapolis. It was right after a football game. Against the Redskins. In a Super Bowl. It was 9 degrees outside, and walking distance from the hotel. It just made the entire experience that much more sad......

I haven’t done “franchise pizza” in decades. I rarely do pizza at all, actually. Buffalo spoiled me, and I like to stick to “good” pizza. 

My last franchise pizza experience was a few years ago when my youngest repeatedly saw a commercial for someone's 'crazy bread'. He was obsessed and it was harmless to surprise him. Which I did one sunday. It was around a 40 minute drive out and back. The crazy bread sucked, but my son would disagree and his appreciation was priceless and well worth it.