Wade Phillips done in LA

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Best head coach in Bills history.

Baloney 100%. Maybe the best DC we ever had, but well behind Levy, Knox, and even Saban at the beginning of the Bills AFL days

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

Rams moved up 3 spots in Defensive Rank 2018 - 2019 (19 - 16)  but Offensive run fell to 28th in 2019 .   Yeah Defense is the problem here

Yea I do feel a bit for Wade - defense has not been the major problem in LA though they have been inconsistent on that side of the ball. But the guy is 72 they might just have wanted some fresh perspective. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Is he retiring?

He's a great defensive coordinator and someone should hire him.

I dunno, but at 72, he should probably think about it. Coaching in the NFL is a grind. But if he wants to keep coaching, he definitely deserves a job.

45 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Is he retiring?

He's a great defensive coordinator and someone should hire him.

72-year old guys, even with Wade's track record, get very few looks in today's NFL--where youth, not experience is the hot commodity.

IMO, he should take this opportunity to relax and enjoy life like his dad did after he left the No Fun League...

Good call by The Rams. If you follow Wade’s career his teams/defenses generally play awesome when he first takes over but then steadily decline over time.  I call it the Wade effect.   He is pretty lax in terms of imposing discipline and relies on the players to be responsible enough to do their job.  This has a huge positive effect when he first takes over especially if the team is tightly wound (taking over from Parcells) but eventually “playing loose” becomes “playing sloppy.”   Might be a good fit now for Jacksonville which has been tightly wound. 

I always liked  Wade.  All he needed to do was fire Ronnie and then hire him as some other kind of assistant.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28435088/rams-part-ways-defensive-coordinator-wade-phillips

Phillips signed a three-year contract with the Rams after Sean McVay was named coach in 2017. The 72-year-old coordinator said last month amid rumors he would not be retained that he wanted to continue coaching, something he reiterated Monday in confirming reports of his exit.

In their first season together, McVay and Phillips transformed a four-win team into an 11-5 division champion. The defense ranked 12th in the league, allowing 20.6 points per game.

The Rams' playoff berth that season marked the continuation of an impressive streak in Phillips' career. Since 1989, every team he has joined -- the Rams, the 2015 Broncos, 2011 Houston Texans, 2007 Cowboys, 2004 San Diego Chargers, 2002 Atlanta Falcons, 1995 Buffalo Bills and 1989 Broncos -- made the playoffs in his first season there.

• Like (+1) 1

Yup, Wade is an excellent defensive coordinator.  (He doesn't seem to be anything more than a good/decent head coach, though. Too many great coordinators want to be head coaches though it is not a good fit for them.)

I was at the 1992  Bills  Broncos Championship game and the defense he coached was one of the few able to stop that offense, though the Bills won 10-7.

I think wherever Wade goes now he will continue to put a much improved, high quality defense on the field.