Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Follow up question:

IF Daboll goes, who do you want to replace him? Keeping in mind we have a young, raw, project at QB...

Ken Dorsey, He was a former QB and know the nuances of the position. 

Edited by BBills88
  • Like (+1) 1

1st and 10 at the 23 with 30 seconds left in the first half, one timeout.  Run up the middle with Frank Gore.  Worst possible play you can call right there.  Up the middle with Gore.  If Gore doesn't scoring a 23 yard TD, you are guaranteeing yourself to have to use the TO or wasting a down to spike it plus the wasted time.  That is the kind of call that should get guys fired.  Please hire him Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

1st and 10 at the 23 with 30 seconds left in the first half, one timeout.  Run up the middle with Frank Gore.  Worst possible play you can call right there.  Up the middle with Gore.  If Gore doesn't scoring a 23 yard TD, you are guaranteeing yourself to have to use the TO or wasting a down to spike it plus the wasted time.  That is the kind of call that should get guys fired.  Please hire him Cleveland.

Allen checked to the run.  Wasn't the play call.

1 minute ago, BBills88 said:

Ken Dorsey

Interesting idea. Im not opposed. Provides continuity for Josh. But I worry about being able to run the entire Offensive game plan.

I've heard the idea of bringing in Pat Shurmur, who was on Reid's Philly staff with McD back in the early-2000s as well. Could be plug-and-play there.

Daboll can be very creative at times but he gets really strange in the red zone...we have an ultimate guy just made for a screen game in Singletary and we never use it! Much less any slants at all so if he stays ok but I think the Bills can upgrade the position easily 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Follow up question:

IF Daboll goes, who do you want to replace him? Keeping in mind we have a young, raw, project at QB...

1) Pat Shurmur

2) Freddie Kitchens

3) Ken Dorsey w/ Derek Anderson as QB Coach

4) Jason Garrett

5) Jay Gruden

That's just people who are available, I suppose. There's a few position coaches we could request to interview that would slot ahead of some on my list.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

1) Pat Shurmur

2) Freddie Kitchens

4) Jason Garrett

5) Jay Gruden

That's just people who are available, I suppose. There's a few position coaches we could request to interview that would slot ahead of some on my list.

I was thinking Garrett would be interesting yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Follow up question:

Pat Schurmer got the most out of McNabb, Foles (his pro bowl season), and Cousins.  He's an excellent offsensive coordinator but a horrible head coach.  He'd be my choice.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

1) Pat Shurmur

2) Freddie Kitchens

4) Jason Garrett

5) Jay Gruden

No thank you to Kitchens and Gruden.

I've been secretly hoping for Garrett since he got on the hotseat early in the season. But I'm not thrilled by the fact the Cowboys offense (and specifically QBs) have always under-performed or choked while under his leadership.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Pat Schurmer got the most out of McNabb, Foles (his pro bowl season), and Cousins.  He's an excellent offsensive coordinator but a horrible head coach.  He'd be my choice.

Yep, and we know McD LOVES hiring people he worked with in Philly.

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was thinking about this just last night.  

I am not a Daboll hater at all and don't think he's the problem; Allen is the problem.

But if it would help us move on from Allen faster to see that he is the same under a new/different OC, then by all means, sacrifice Daboll to the football gods and get him out of here.

As I said, I am not a Daboll hater, but he is completely replaceable, as is McDermott as a HC.

No harm in letting Daboll go.  

John Clayton has now said twice during his segments with Schopp & Bulldog (for what this is worth) that he expects Daboll to be viewed favorably around the league and get 2 or 3 HC interviews.

Bills fans don't realize how bad Allen is or how poorly he is perceived around the league.  The CW on him is that he is a massive project and that Daboll has worked wonders to get him operating at the level he's at now.

I think he will be viewed as a strong contender for a HC job, even though the majority of the fanbase here thinks he is terrible.

Good luck to him!  Let's hope he gets one of these gigs! 

crusade.thumb.jpg.c9808e579a8ebf37dacd560319507a11.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I am not a Daboll hater at all and don't think he's the problem; Allen is the problem.

But if it would help us move on from Allen faster to see that he is the same under a new/different OC, then by all means, sacrifice Daboll to the football gods and get him out of here.

As I said, I am not a Daboll hater, but he is completely replaceable, as is McDermott as a HC.

John Clayton has now said twice during his segments with Schopp & Bulldog (for what this is worth) that he expects Daboll to be viewed favorably around the league and get 2 or 3 HC interviews.

Bills fans don't realize how bad Allen is or how poorly he is perceived around the league.  The CW on him is that he is a massive project and that Daboll has worked wonders to get him operating at the level he's at now.

I think he will be viewed as a strong contender for a HC job, even though the majority of the fanbase here thinks he is terrible.

Geezus.  I want to reply, but it would take too long.  This post is one of the worst I have read in a while.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You’re dead wrong though.      Repeat it less.  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

With all this Shurmur talk... Seeing now he is front runner for Washington OC job. Hope we can move quickly if Daboll is leaving. I hate how we always miss out on our first choice of OCs.

Rivera's also from that tree and it's not surprising that he's looking for a familiar face. If that happens I'd honestly consider O'Connell as well. He did pretty solid work with Haskins (and Keenum for that matter)

31 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Your posts are a problem.

That's all Daboll whom got Josh to where he's at my ass. More like Beane giving him an improved O-line, RB, TE and WR core that still needs work overall. If you don't see the improvement from year 1 to 2 like the rest of the media and NFL knobs that's on you. 

What a friggin hot take.

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You know as well as I do that he’s looking for a certain defensive alignment that signals a check 

Respectfully, there is no way in hell that the Bills' playcallers drove the entire length of the field, often in "no huddle" and all of it at a quick pace, took a timeout, and then expected Allen to audible to a run to Gore.  If they did, they should be fired.  It's borderline fireable that Gore is even on the field in that situation but that's another matter.  I have been very critical of these coaches but they were definitely calling plays to score a TD there.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like I said before, Daboll can be great (Josh Allen receiving TD) one minute and utterly a moron the next (Gore draw at end of half before Duke TD attempt).

I wont hate it if he is back in Buffalo next year (hopefully having learned some tough lessons of being a dumb a** at times), but I also do kind of hope he gets a HC job so we can find a new OC.

2 things I cant stand about Daboll:  His stubborn stupidity (obsession with running Gore on first and second down over and over again) and running one of the most complicated and challenging offenses on a team with 9 new offensive starters, rotating RT's, and a young QB with mediocre at best group of receiving weapons to throw to.  Brown and Cole are good, especially Brown.  But everyone else was mostly useless or mistake prone.  I love Knox's potential still, but he had a lot of drops and his whiffed block on the Allen run Saturday may have lost us the game.  

I want an OC who will focus on building an offense around the players on the team.  Daboll seemed to force his scheme too often rather than focusing on best utilizing the players talents and putting them in the best positions to succeed.  Felt like he spent a large part of the game setting some specific play to use later in the game rather than just getting Josh and the offense into a rhythm.   

Personally, I think Daboll was too focused on trying to be seen as a "genius" or "innovator" and that caused him at times to not call a smart football game.  And there were times he pulled it off, but too often it bit him in the backside and cost us drives or points IMO.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Felt like he spent a large part of the game setting some specific play to use later in the game rather than just getting Josh and the offense into a rhythm.   

Personally, I think Daboll was too focused on trying to be seen as a "genius" or "innovator" and that caused him at times to not call a smart football game.  And there were times he pulled it off, but too often it bit him in the backside and cost us drives or points IMO.  

Agreed and it shouldn't go unsaid that he did all of this in the midst of interviewing for HC openings.  Throwing 46 times when you have a job interview scheduled for the next day is an interesting coincidence...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed and it shouldn't go unsaid that he did all of this in the midst of interviewing for HC openings.  Throwing 46 times when you have a job interview scheduled for the next day is an interesting coincidence...

I will never understand why he stopped using Singletary who was having a great game.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I will never understand why he stopped using Singletary who was having a great game.  

Because any idiot can hand the ball off and let a talented back do the work - a genius can scheme midgets open downfield.  I guess.  The less-cynical explanation is that he was trying to take advantage of the Texans' weak secondary and was totally disconnected from what was happening down on the field, i.e., his young QB having a mental meltdown and needing COACHING.  (It boggles my mind that anyone would consider hiring Daboll for HC after Saturday.)

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly think that if Daboll is gone they promote Dorsey. They interviewed him for the OC job a while back. Other than that I could see Chad OŚhea as he is from the NE system, though he wasn't good in MIami. The other guy is Rob Chudzinski who McDermott is reportedly a fan of, or Mike Shula who he worked with in Carolina. I would go after Eric Bieniemy, as he hasn't had a chance to call plays under Andy Reid. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Because any idiot can hand the ball off and let a talented back do the work - a genius can scheme midgets open downfield.  I guess.  The less-cynical explanation is that he was trying to take advantage of the Texans' weak secondary and was totally disconnected from what was happening down on the field, i.e., his young QB having a mental meltdown and needing COACHING.  (It boggles my mind that anyone would consider hiring Daboll for HC after Saturday.)

And, as you noted earlier, much of this happened after he got ear-holed by JJ Watt when Cody Ford had another breakdown. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Respectfully, there is no way in hell that the Bills' playcallers drove the entire length of the field, often in "no huddle" and all of it at a quick pace, took a timeout, and then expected Allen to audible to a run to Gore.  If they did, they should be fired.  It's borderline fireable that Gore is even on the field in that situation but that's another matter.  I have been very critical of these coaches but they were definitely calling plays to score a TD there.

I have my doubts that Gore is on the field if a run isn’t a real possibility there, but that’s kind of the problem. Why is he on the field at all?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have my doubts that Gore is on the field if a run isn’t a real possibility there, but that’s kind of the problem. Why is he on the field at all?

Fair (separate, as I said) question, but I'm guessing they wanted to force Houston to take a CB out and put a LB in, in order to give them a better look in the passing game.  Allen needs to understand the situation there - as dumb as these coaches are (and they're dumb, IMO), I find it very hard to believe they wanted Allen to check to the run there as if it were an either/or scenario.  I'd be shocked.  He must've been coached to throw the ball away in that scenario if he didn't get the look they needed.

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not like this was the 1st time Dumboll has done this....

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary had great receiving numbers and I was completely baffled that Daboll didn’t call more passes to him. The report on the Texans defense going into the game was that they struggled with short to intermediate passes and it showed, which is very hard to believe that the Bills didn’t activate Yeldon and made Gore inactive. Yeldon also has great receiving numbers against the Jets. Now I get that Gore was brought in to be a mentor to Singletary, but Gore is no longer a #1 and not even a #2 RB in the league. Another head scratcher was Kroft/Lee Smith over Sweeney. Sweeney caught everything thrown to him against the Jets. Teams that don’t put in their best players and keep in players that have a higher stature have ego problems and sometimes it comes back to bite them, and that happened to the Bills. By no means am I saying the Bills would be putting up over 40 points with Duke, Yeldon and Sweeney in the game every week, but I think the Bills would have won the game with Yeldon and Sweeney in there (along with better play calling from Daboll).

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus.  I want to reply, but it would take too long.  This post is one of the worst I have read in a while.  

I just flew into DC today, the guys I met with one is a Pats fan the other not a fan of any particular team. Both were raving about Allen, both said he still needs to grow but said the future will be incredible for him. Yet a small portion of our own alleged fans think he’s terrible... SMH....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not convinced Allen is 100 percent the problem. I am concerned we will be talking about the same mistakes in the future but there are time sunder the lights when he's really good. It seems like he is the solution at times and the problem at other times.