Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Daboll better have a good game plan if he wants to be a HC, his interview is Sunday with the Browns...... Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 3m #Browns updated interview schedule: #Ravens Greg Roman tonight in Balt, #49ers Robert Saleh this weekend in Ca., #Bills Brian Daboll Sun in Buffalo, #Patriots Josh McDaniels likely Jan. 10

Do you think he will wear a suit to the interview? Because I can’t picture this. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With the benefit of hindsight to review McDermott's intro presser, he made a bunch of comments about how he was "comfortable with the situation" at GM and "the Pegulas have made certain that I am comfortable with it, which I appreciate" or words to that effect.

The famous "not privy" presser with Whaley sealed his doom, and he was quickly given a back seat in the coaching search.  He had Whaleyed himself out before McD was hired.

I think, again with the benefit of hindsight to read the tealeaves, that the Pegulas promised McDermott that he could bring in his guy either outright, or if he wasn't 100% satisfied after working with Whaley for some short period of time - and that McDermott had an understanding with Beane before he took the job.

Correct on all counts.  He totally worked himself out of a job (and it was well deserved, again, with the benefit of hindsight).  Still, the Bills had a GM in their employ when the HC was hired.  Not only was a GM in their employ when the HC was hired, but they kept the GM through the draft.  

I quibbled with a certain person because they argued that the Bills had no GM and no HC -- when the Bills had a GM, or at very least in title, before the HC was hired.  The Browns have no HC and no person who holds the GM title currently.  Plus, it doesn't matter that Whaley might not have had a say in the coaching search.  He was still GM when the HC was hired.

And again, Whaley was GM, at least in title (and he was still drawing a salary) for the 2017 draft, so it's absurd that someone would argue that the Bills had no HC and GM at the same point in 2017.  This argument is demonstrably false, and that is where I took exception.

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope they hire McCarthy and he keeps them at 7-9 consistently.

When Dorsey was still there I thought it was a shoe in.   Now with DePodesta calling the shots, I think its a lot less likely.    I would imagine they go more in the McDermott,  Harbaugh, Tomlin direction.   Who that is in their current list of interviewees I am not sure, but I'd keep an eye on Saleh.

7 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Chargers offense actually got a little worse in PPG from 2016 to 2017. The Chargers defense however went from 29th in the NFL in points allowed to 3rd. That’s almost certainly more responsible for their turnaround. 

I asked why you believe Lynn’s offense is less complicated than Daboll’s, and you can only say that Bills players say the Bills’ is complex. How do you know the Chargers’ players don’t feel the same way about their system? 

You don’t have to prove anything to anyone, but it is telling that you are struggling to substantiatively defend your opinion.

Yes, the Chargers defense improved in 2017, so did their offense in passing yards going from 14th to 4th in the NFL. And in 2018 their rush yards per attempts went from 3.8 in 2016, 2017 to 4.7 YPA in 2018. Plus, the passing attempts went from 8th to 24th showing that their offense got better by throwing less and winning more games. 

I'm not struggling with anything as my eyes tells me that the players on one team have had great difficulty grasping and executing plays while the other enjoyed a more successful season with a playoff win! Yes, Phillip Rivers is a more experienced QB.

However, like I stated, it didn't matter to Daboll who he had at QB as all of them have struggled in his scheme. Regardless of who Daboll has had at QB or on what team as in his six seasons as an NFL OC with four different teams along with multiple QBs. All his passing offenses have NOT been good or gotten out of the 20's in passing yards.

Clev OC, 2009, 30th in passing yards

Clev OC, 2010, 29th in passing yards

Miami OC, 2011, 23rd in passing yards

Kan OC, 2012, 32nd in passing yards

2013 NE offensive assistant

2014 NE's TE's coach

2015 NE's TE coach

2016 NE's TE coach

2017 Alabama OC

2018 Bills OC, 31st in passing yards

2019 Bills OC, 26th in passing yards

I get it, you don't like Anthony Lynn for OC in Buffalo. There is simply no refuting that the man improved the Buffalo Bills play calling as OC, this over arguably the most sought after OC this season in Greg Roman. Plus, he improved the Los Angles Chargers as head coach. Let. It. Go. 

Edited by Nihilarian

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

FYI the one tweet is referencing McDaniels not Daboll. Daboll isn’t considered a real candidate for this job. 

As he shouldn't be, but I wish he was.  I am surprised I haven't heard anything about anyone wanting Roman though.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe Roman is scheduled to meet with Browns at some point

Oh haven't heard that.  Its not just the Browns.  I hear about a lot of candidates for all of the open positions.  I honestly just expected that Roman would have been a bigger name out there with tons of interest.  Not saying he would make a great HC, I don't really know.  What he runs on offense though has taken the league by storm on two teams now and made a pretty poor QB in Taylor look decent.

Edited by Scott7975

Just in: #Browns will not conduct any head coach interviews today

Probably watched the Bills-Texans game...

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

FYI the one tweet is referencing McDaniels not Daboll. Daboll isn’t considered a real candidate for this job. 

I hope he gets the job because everyone else turns them down.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Do you think he will wear a suit to the interview? Because I can’t picture this. 

A track suit maybe. 

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Just in: #Browns will not conduct any head coach interviews today

Probably watched the Bills-Texans game...

I hope he gets the job because everyone else turns them down.

Isn’t that how Pettine got the job? 

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

does that qualify as a suit?

To me, a suit must include a tie. That's more of a blazer situation ;)

Next you'll be yelling "All you Kids Get Off My Lawn"

The modern standard of suit for the well-dressed Gent features an open dress shirt or even a turtleneck.

The neck noose is passe'

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Next you'll be yelling "All you Kids Get Off My Lawn"

The modern standard of suit for the well-dressed Gent features an open dress shirt or even a turtleneck.

The neck noose is passe'

As Norman Bates once said: "Conservative clothes never go out of style."

;)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Isn’t that how Pettine got the job? 

basically yes, everyone else turned the job down

Chan Gailey also fits into this category, only perhaps worse. 

In the 2010 off season Buddy Nix was hired as GM. Russ Brandon let it slip to the media that the Bills were willing to pay their next head coach 10 million per. This got the Bills interviews with both Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan. Even though Shanny had already agreed to a contract with the Redskins he wanted to listen to what Buffalo offered.

Naturally after the Interviews that amount of money was never offered to anyone. Once that word got out most everyone who had asked for an interview were no longer interested in the job. Even assistant coaches that were called were now declining interviews. 

Buddy Nix wanted to hire Marty Schottenheimer and Ralph Wilson said no. In all probability because he wouldn't be a puppet figure as HC and wouldn't let Wilson micromanage him like he did with others recently. It was known that Dick Jauron was on the phone to Detroit daily during the season.

After this Buddy Nix was getting desperate to find someone. Bill Cowher had stated in his interview that he would hire Gailey as his OC. At that time Gailey was out of the NFL as he was fired from the Chiefs as their OC two years previous. So, the Bills hire Gailey and promote him to head coach.

Talk about a reach,  in his 3 seasons in Buffalo as HC he never got better then 6-10. Some bills fans still love the guy...dunno why either. He had his choice between Fitz, Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm and chose Edwards. Gailey was lucky that Fitz was even on the roster or the team would have been worse than 6-10, much worse! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

I'd like to see Dabol stay and maintain continuity.  If he does go, I'd be curious to see if Dorsey's ready.  Bring Anderson back as QB coach if he's interested.

If not, who are legitimate OC candidates?

Shurmur, Hue, Kitchens (ducks for cover) 

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

So, if Daboll gets the Browns job, who do you think McD would hire as next OC?  The Dallas OC who just got fired would interest me.  Had the top offense in the league.

Kellen Moore? God, no. That would be horrible. I'd rather keep Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

So, if Daboll gets the Browns job, who do you think McD would hire as next OC?  The Dallas OC who just got fired would interest me.  Had the top offense in the league.

He had one of the top O-lines, QBs, RB, and WR...is what he had.

• Like (+1) 1

I think I'm to the point of rooting for this, despite the continuity disruption. Maybe he's been good for Josh, but it can also be argued that his gameday decisions have been a detriment. The offense is overly complex, based on statements from a few players, and I believe that is part of the execution issues (kind of like Roman's overprepping in his second year). Continuity that would remain intact includes Ken Dorsey, Jordan Palmer in the offseason, and a significant chunk of our offensive personnel. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think I'm to the point of rooting for this, despite the continuity disruption. Maybe he's been good for Josh, but it can also be argued that his gameday decisions have been a detriment. The offense is overly complex, based on statements from a few players, and I believe that is part of the execution issues (kind of like Roman's overprepping in his second year). Continuity that would remain intact includes Ken Dorsey, Jordan Palmer in the offseason, and a significant chunk of our offensive personnel. 

What do we know about Ken Dorsey's background? 

IF Daboll is hired, could Dorsey step up and then backfill with a new QB coach?

I realize I'm getting ahead of us here.  Obviously a lot of the guys in the locker room think very highly of Daboll, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way to do "more with less" and that part of that is on personnel decisions, play calling, and overall play design.

The Dolphins are trying to move in the direction of a simplified offense with similar terminology and concepts by moving on from Chad O'Shea.  O'Shea has a similar background in some ways to Brian Daboll: he spent 10 years as the Patriots WR coach before being tapped by former Patriots assistant Flores as his OC.

In a lot of ways early on, I saw echoes of Daboll in the Miami Offense.  It was said to be quite complex with Fitzpatrick needing to tell guys where to line up and what to do, and with Rosen floundering to master it.  I think O'Shea might be a guy who, like Daboll, is thoroughly inculcated in the Belicheck "give everything you have to preparation" trees without understanding the forest of "put your best strengths against their weaknesses" and tailoring to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.  Gailey also runs an E-P offense, but showed with Fitz and the Goonies and then with the Jets that he could do "more with less" and that he could simplify and streamline and then build complexity slowly.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IF Daboll is hired, could Dorsey step up and then backfill with a new QB coach?

I realize I'm getting ahead of us here.  Obviously a lot of the guys in the locker room think very highly of Daboll, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way to do "more with less" and that part of that is on personnel decisions, play calling, and overall play design.

The Dolphins are trying to move in the direction of a simplified offense with similar terminology and concepts by moving on from Chad O'Shea.  O'Shea has a similar background in some ways to Brian Daboll: he spent 10 years as the Patriots WR coach before being tapped by former Patriots assistant Flores as his OC.

In a lot of ways early on, I saw echoes of Daboll in the Miami Offense.  It was said to be quite complex with Fitzpatrick needing to tell guys where to line up and what to do, and with Rosen floundering to master it.  I think O'Shea might be a guy who, like Daboll, is thoroughly inculcated in the Belicheck "give everything you have to preparation" trees without understanding the forest of "put your best strengths against their weaknesses" and tailoring to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.  Gailey also runs an E-P offense, but showed with Fitz and the Goonies and then with the Jets that he could do "more with less" and that he could simplify and streamline and then build complexity slowly.

An educated guess on what could happen if Dabes gets a HC gig: Dorsey promoted to OC with Derek Anderson getting added to the staff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was a QB from 2003-2008. Scout for Carolina from 2011-2012, then became QB coach from 2013-2017. I don't know anything about his offensive philosophy, but I'd say he's probably as qualified as Kellen Moore was (not saying that's how he'd turn out, of course). I think I'd prefer that he stay at QB coach, but I wouldn't be overly ruffled if he got the nod. Assuming the vacancy presents itself.