Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Can't believe there are Bills fans out there that think losing Daboll and his 28th ranked pass offense is going to be bad for Josh Allen lol 

it will be the best thing to happen to the kids career. 

Clearly you should have the job. You know how an offense is supposed to be done. 

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Bystander at bama?  Come on.  Nothing to do in NE?  He had a 20/20 job.  

Go back and watch Bama’s win over Georgia in the national championship game.  Check our who took control of the huddle before Tua hit the game winner.  It was daboll.  And he got to run an offense for nick Saban in part on belichick’s recommendation.  I just can’t believe belichick would mislead a friend like Saban in a hire like that. 

Daboll was at Bama for one season.  They were a stacked team at every position and doubly so at QB.  Prior to that he had some BS job at NE

Edited by Mr. WEO

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Daboll was at Bama for one season.  They were a stacked team at every position and doubly so at QB.  Prior to that he had some BS job at NE

care to clarify what the “BS” part of job was at NE?  I didn’t realize that the most accomplished coach on NFL history has BS jobs on staff.  

and yes, daboll was at bama for just a year.  And in that time he started to modernize the offense and had the guts to push for the benching of championship QB b/c he (correctly) recognized that the backup was better. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm a bit torn on this one.

I do think that Daboll doesn't utilize the screen game and RB enough in the passing game,  but on the other hand he has done some other good things and theres something to be said about keeping a young QB in a stable system where they have established chemistry together. 

I'll be cautiously optimistic should he leave. I do think there's someone out there that can get more out of Allen, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's who we'll hire.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

IIRC he was the backup TE coach. 

I'm guessing that's why Darth Hoodie had him on the short list to return for that assistant TE job when McDaniel was about to flee.  

Love the characterization of Allen being a stud now, after he couldn't land a spot at his favored second tier Div 1 school, and after a less than stellar juco career settled for another second tier Div 1 school, where he certainly didn't light lesser competition on fire.  

I can't believe that the OC can't get a guy who still doesn't know how to set his feet, to be an AllPro in one year.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

care to clarify what the “BS” part of job was at NE?  I didn’t realize that the most accomplished coach on NFL history has BS jobs on staff.  

and yes, daboll was at bama for just a year.  And in that time he started to modernize the offense and had the guts to push for the benching of championship QB b/c he (correctly) recognizes that the backup was better. 

LOL benching Hurts was Saban's decision.

In NE, Daboll was given the titles of "Offensive Assistant" and "TE Coach", where he no doubt "developed" Gronk, right?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

In NE, Daboll was given the titles of "Offensive Assistant" and "TE Coach", where he no doubt "developed" Gronk, right?

And yet was the top candidate to replace McDaniels.  Not bad for a glorified video quality assurance assistant.  

53 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Pat Shurmer 

Chad O’Shea

Joe Brady (LSU) 

Kellen Moore

to name a few 

I like the O’Shea idea.  Brady would be interesting, too.  

Maybe DeFillipo gets some consideration if Marrone’s staff is blown out in Jax.  McD would have intel on him through Eagles connections, and he allegedly had a big part in wentz’s growth. Not saying I want defillipo, but it’s not the worst idea in the world if we need a new OC. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn’t say it was daboll’s decision.  I said he pushed for it, which you haven’t denied.  

On the other points, as much as I hate the term, you’re setting up strawmen.  Nobody said a thing about “developing” Gronkowski.  And nobody has denied that bill belichick hired this guy twice.  

Edited by SectionC3

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was?

He was, if you believe little men outside your oversized opinion

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I didn’t say it was daboll’s decision.  I said he pushed for it, which you haven’t denied.  

On the other points, as much as I hate the term, you’re setting up strawmen.  Nobody said a thing about “developing” Gronkowski.  And nobody has denied that bill belichick hires this guy twice.  

It doesn't matter who decided to pull Hurts.  The important factor is that the true freshman QB was ready to lead his team to a title.  

Whose job was it to have him that prepared?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

He was, if you believe little men outside your oversized opinion

Oh!  Let me help you with that:

it’s unclear whether the Patriots had interest in bringing the 42-year-old back to New England,

The leading in-house candidate to succeed McDaniels likely is wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea, who coordinates the Patriots’ red-zone offense and has called plays during the preseason.

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm guessing that's why Darth Hoodie had him on the short list to return for that assistant TE job when McDaniel was about to flee.  

Love the characterization of Allen being a stud now, after he couldn't land a spot at his favored second tier Div 1 school, and after a less than stellar juco career settled for another second tier Div 1 school, where he certainly didn't light lesser competition on fire.  

I can't believe that the OC can't get a guy who still doesn't know how to set his feet, to be an AllPro in one year.  

It was a joke but Daboll had no real power when he was at Bama or at NE. WEO was right about that. He was awful at every OC job although he had crap to work with. But he was horrible. That is a fact.

I have mixed feelings about Daboll myself. There is a good deal to like and a good deal to question. I also think McD holds him back to some degree.

Josh is a stud arm talent. It's off the charts. He is a stud athlete. It's off the charts. He is smart, has a fabulous work ethic, and is very coachable. Daboll had nothing to do with that. It's impossible to know whether a different guy would have helped Josh more or less, but Josh clearly likes him so I want him to stay at least another year before I would think about getting rid of him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a joke but Daboll had no real power when he was at Bama or at NE. WEO was right about that. He was awful at every OC job although he had crap to work with. But he was horrible. That is a fact.

I have mixed feelings about Daboll myself. There is a good deal to like and a good deal to question. I also think McD holds him back to some degree.

Josh is a stud arm talent. It's off the charts. He is a stud athlete. It's off the charts. He is smart, has a fabulous work ethic, and is very coachable. Daboll had nothing to do with that. It's impossible to know whether a different guy would have helped Josh more or less, but Josh clearly likes him so I want him to stay at least another year before I would think about getting rid of him.

boom

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh!  Let me help you with that:

it’s unclear whether the Patriots had interest in bringing the 42-year-old back to New England,

The leading in-house candidate to succeed McDaniels likely is wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea, who coordinates the Patriots’ red-zone offense and has called plays during the preseason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.providencejournal.com/sports/20170105/martellus-bennett-praises-potential-offensive-coordinator-replacement-brian-daboll%3ftemplate=ampart

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

"According to Bovada, McDaniels is the favorite to land the Rams job. According to Bleacher Report, he’s the No. 1 target for the 49ers and with Jacksonville."

lol.

NE dumped Bennett after a season.

Edited by Mr. WEO