Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

"According to Bovada, McDaniels is the favorite to land the Rams job. According to Bleacher Report, he’s the No. 1 target for the 49ers and with Jacksonville."

lol.

NE dumped Bennett after one season.

And according to a beat guy for the patriots daboll was a leading candidate to replace McDaniels if McDaniels left.  You haven’t refuted that point.

Edited by SectionC3

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a joke but Daboll had no real power when he was at Bama or at NE. WEO was right about that. He was awful at every OC job although he had crap to work with. But he was horrible. That is a fact.

I have mixed feelings about Daboll myself. There is a good deal to like and a good deal to question. I also think McD holds him back to some degree.

Josh is a stud arm talent. It's off the charts. He is a stud athlete. It's off the charts. He is smart, has a fabulous work ethic, and is very coachable. Daboll had nothing to do with that. It's impossible to know whether a different guy would have helped Josh more or less, but Josh clearly likes him so I want him to stay at least another year before I would think about getting rid of him.

Exactly. I think the sentiment around the league is that Daboll took a terrible Josh Allen and made him not terrible, but that's not true at all. I think Allen's development is mostly his own doing and that he ALWAYS had the skills he's shown this year. For whatever reason Daboll is getting all the credit for something I'm not sure has a lot to do with him.

Now, that's not to say that Daboll hasn't done a good job with Josh, I just don't think it's been this night and day transformation (due to Daboll's coaching) that seems to be the national narrative.

Just now, MJS said:

Exactly. I think the sentiment around the league is that Daboll took a terrible Josh Allen and made him not terrible, but that's not true at all. I think Allen's development is mostly his own doing and that he ALWAYS had the skills he's shown this year. For whatever reason Daboll is getting all the credit for something I'm not sure has a lot to do with him.

Now, that's not to say that Daboll hasn't done a good job with Josh, I just don't think it's been this night and day transformation (due to Daboll's coaching) that seems to be the national narrative.

It’s a fair point that Allen’s development is due in significant part, and perhaps most significant part, to Allen’s own hard work and diligence.  I don’t see how daboll’s work isn’t part of the equation, though.  Mayfield and Darnold seem like hard workers, too, and they haven’t progressed at Josh’s pace.  

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh!  Let me help you with that:

it’s unclear whether the Patriots had interest in bringing the 42-year-old back to New England,

The leading in-house candidate to succeed McDaniels likely is wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea, who coordinates the Patriots’ red-zone offense and has called plays during the preseason.

Leading in-house candidate, not leading candidate.

Your help didn’t matter BTW, because you disputed the notion that Bill would even consider bringing back the assistant of the water boy to the videographer.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

It’s a fair point that Allen’s development is due in significant part, and perhaps most significant part, to Allen’s own hard work and diligence.  I don’t see how daboll’s work isn’t part of the equation, though.  Mayfield and Darnold seem like hard workers, too, and they haven’t progressed at Josh’s pace.  

I'm sure Daboll has helped and that his contributions are part of the equation. My point is that Daboll gets ALL the credit from a national perspective, and I don't think it is completely warranted.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Don’t think he gets the job there but say he does. Who are the best OC options out there?

I don't think he will get the job either, but current QB coach ( Ken Dorsey) is the likely replacement. Probably why they hired him to begin with.  He is the key guy in the development of Allen and is thought to be talented enough to be a future HC in the league.  Although it wouldn't be good to lose Daboll, IMHO it won't be a total disaster. At times, I haven't been a big fan of his play calling but I have observed the continuous improvement of Allen.

33 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The 2019 Buffalo Bills passing offense is 26th in yards, 24th in TDs which is about the norm for this OCs Career. And isn't the passing offense supposedly his specialty with the Patriots play book? 

How can someone look at those stats and think he would be a good head coach at the NFL level? It isn't because of his offensive ingenuity. 

In terms of Peterman, Daboll would calls plays that Peterman simply couldn't make because he simply didn't have an arm that could complete them. What does that tell you about Daboll?

With Allen, the kid has the strongest arm in the NFL and yet has the worst deep completion percentage with passes over 30 yards? 

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a joke but Daboll had no real power when he was at Bama or at NE. WEO was right about that. He was awful at every OC job although he had crap to work with. But he was horrible. That is a fact.

I have mixed feelings about Daboll myself. There is a good deal to like and a good deal to question. I also think McD holds him back to some degree.

Josh is a stud arm talent. It's off the charts. He is a stud athlete. It's off the charts. He is smart, has a fabulous work ethic, and is very coachable. Daboll had nothing to do with that. It's impossible to know whether a different guy would have helped Josh more or less, but Josh clearly likes him so I want him to stay at least another year before I would think about getting rid of him.

Nobody ever, ever disputed Allen’s arm talent.  What has always been in question is whether he could effectively use that talent to be a good QB.   The question still hasn’t been answered.

Allen had that arm talent when Fresno State told him to take a hike, and it’s not like they were deciding among 20 5-star recruits.  The arm talent was there after juco, and the response was the same from every Div 1 school, but one outpost.   He then catapulted his talents to a 2017 Mountain West Honorable Mention title, behind Nick Stephens and Brett Rypien.  (Even if people want to use his

“Better” 2016 season as a barometer, he was still behind Rypien in the all-conference awards)

And yet, we’re supposed to believe that after these amazing accomplishments as a QB, Josh Allen didn’t benefit at all from Daboll’s coaching, and if anything, Daboll is the one holding him back.

The only time Allen started looking like a real QB is when he spent a year with Daboll.  You choose to discount Daboll’s accomplishments with his Nuke Laloosh, but the rest of the league is certainly impressed.  

• Like (+1) 3

Don't know what to make of this. He's been instrumental in Josh's development from last year and as mediocre as the offense has been we made the playoffs with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season.

His best game calling to me was the Thanksgiving game. But most games his play calling has been head scratching to say the least. Whether that's on him or lack of execution is up for debate. I think he stays another year.

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Don't know what to make of this. He's been instrumental in Josh's development from last year and as mediocre as the offense has been we made the playoffs with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season.

His best game calling to me was the Thanksgiving game. But most games his play calling has been head scratching to say the least. Whether that's on him or lack of execution is up for debate. I think he stays another year.

Head scratching is a good way to describe him. Either way, I'm sure we will be fine stay or go.

There’s no way Cleveland is gonna go with somebody like Daboll unless nobody with head coaching experience wants the job.  Rivera would be perfect for that job because he’d put those drama queens in their place.  But Rivera can probably pick what job he wants.  I’d go with McCarthy next if I were the Browns.  

25 minutes ago, GG said:

Nobody ever, ever disputed Allen’s arm talent.  What has always been in question is whether he could effectively use that talent to be a good QB.   The question still hasn’t been answered.

Allen had that arm talent when Fresno State told him to take a hike, and it’s not like they were deciding among 20 5-star recruits.  The arm talent was there after juco, and the response was the same from every Div 1 school, but one outpost.   He then catapulted his talents to a 2017 Mountain West Honorable Mention title, behind Nick Stephens and Brett Rypien.  (Even if people want to use his

“Better” 2016 season as a barometer, he was still behind Rypien in the all-conference awards)

And yet, we’re supposed to believe that after these amazing accomplishments as a QB, Josh Allen didn’t benefit at all from Daboll’s coaching, and if anything, Daboll is the one holding him back.

The only time Allen started looking like a real QB is when he spent a year with Daboll.  You choose to discount Daboll’s accomplishments with his Nuke Laloosh, but the rest of the league is certainly impressed.  

Where do you get I said Josh didn't get anything from Daboll? I said there is a lot to like about him. That he is held back by McD. And it's impossible to know if anyone would be better and Josh likes him and I think we should keep him. 

The Bills defense and soft schedule are the

reasons they are in the playoffs, let's not kid ourselves. With an offense this team is a top contender. The Bills can do far better than Daboll imo. Yes Allen is better this year than he was last year, but it seems perfectly natural to me for a rookie to improve in his second year. He went from 30th in QB rating last year to 24th this year. I think more talent and size in the wr corps and a couple more good olinemen will do more for his continued improvement than having Daboll around. A better OC will only accelerate his progress. Good luck Daboll, I hope you get the job.

Edited by Turk71

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Where do you get I said Josh didn't get anything from Daboll? I said there is a lot to like about him. That he is held back by McD. And it's impossible to know if anyone would be better and Josh likes him and I think we should keep him. 

In all fairness, the rant was mostly directed at WEO and his inane points.  You were caught in the flak because you appeared to agree with him.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s no way Cleveland is gonna go with somebody like Daboll unless nobody with head coaching experience wants the job.  Rivera would be perfect for that job because he’d put those drama queens in their place.  But Rivera can probably pick what job he wants.  I’d go with McCarthy next if I were the Browns.  

That's the problem with Cleveland. No reputable candidate is gonna taken it unless it's a final option and even then may choose to be a coordinator.  Kitchens and Pettine were never going to be considered by other HC needy teams. There are only 32 in the sport. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I truly believe an equally convincing argument can be made that Daboll has held back Josh.  His second half of the season has been a struggle as a passer.  

Daboll gets way too much flake from fans. First off, did Allen really struggle as a passer in the second half of the season? His overall QB rating would say no. Only stats that tailed off were completion percentage and passing yards. 

But let’s pretend that in an alternate universe Allen struggled in the second half of the season. Don’t you think playing the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 10th and 11th ranked pass defenses may have had a hand in that? Allen basically sat out the Jets game so he only played one team in the second half of the season that did not have a top 11 pass defense.

In the first half of the season Allen only faced one defense in the top half of the league and that was New England. And Allen played significantly better against New England the second go around.

Let’s also not forget that Allen was the most raw QB drafted in the first round two years ago. He’s a work in progress and right now Daboll and Allen are a good fit. 

• Like (+1) 1