Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

Can't believe there are Bills fans out there that think losing Daboll and his 28th ranked pass offense is going to be bad for Josh Allen lol 

it will be the best thing to happen to the kids career. 

Does McD seem like a head coach to you that is going to let his offensive coordinator open things up so his QB can throw for 300 yard games? Maybe that time will come down the road with one but right now I believe McD could could very well be the one you should be pointing your finger at if you are unhappy with the passing yards the offense is producing.

I say we keep both and let Allen continue to grow. 

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore, Todd Haley

Can we amend that to "they can not do so until after the Bills complete their playoff run?"  The assumption seems to be we lose on Saturday, and Daboll would be free to interview. 

The only thing I have to say is, remember when Cleveland swiped Pettine from us to be their HC.  Pettine lasted 2 years as HC in Cleveland.  Meanwhile the Bills defense went from #20 to #4 (pts) under his successor.

NOT a fan of what I've seen of Kellen Moore as OC on the Cowboys this year.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Don't know what to make of this. He's been instrumental in Josh's development from last year and as mediocre as the offense has been we made the playoffs with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season.

His best game calling to me was the Thanksgiving game. But most games his play calling has been head scratching to say the least. Whether that's on him or lack of execution is up for debate. I think he stays another year.

I vote for option C) Both of the above.  Strange mixture of excellent and head-scratching play design, strange mixture of head scratching and appropriate play calls.  There have definitely been times when execution has been lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Nobody ever, ever disputed Allen’s arm talent.  What has always been in question is whether he could effectively use that talent to be a good QB.   The question still hasn’t been answered.

Allen had that arm talent when Fresno State told him to take a hike

Just a note that Allen has said he was 6'2" or 3" 180 lbs and his teammates called him "Tortuga" (tortoise) when Fresno State had no interest.

He was a late-bloomer, physically.  Had a growth spurt late in High School which messed up his ability to run, then another in JUCO/at Wyoming.

Pray proceed.

30 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Daboll gets way too much flake from fans. First off, did Allen really struggle as a passer in the second half of the season? His overall QB rating would say no. Only stats that tailed off were completion percentage and passing yards. 

But let’s pretend that in an alternate universe Allen struggled in the second half of the season. Don’t you think playing the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 10th and 11th ranked pass defenses may have had a hand in that? Allen basically sat out the Jets game so he only played one team in the second half of the season that did not have a top 11 pass defense.

In the first half of the season Allen only faced one defense in the top half of the league and that was New England. And Allen played significantly better against New England the second go around.

Let’s also not forget that Allen was the most raw QB drafted in the first round two years ago. He’s a work in progress and right now Daboll and Allen are a good fit. 

Josh's QB rating was in the 60's vs Baltimore and Pittsburgh and in the 70's against Cleveland, under 85 vs Philly.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Really?  You missed the multiple calls where Josh overshot his WRs by 5+ yards?  That happened on more than one occasion, including 3rd and short.  It happened with Tyrod, too.  I have to believe that Daboll is telling Josh to let the receivers run to the ball rather than trying to be near perfect with the pass.  I'm with those who believe Daboll is holding Josh back.

Josh sucked this year throwing deep. I mean really sucked. But somehow it is Daboll’s fault Josh forgot how to throw the deep ball? I’d be more concerned if Daboll threw in the towel and never had Josh throw deep again. That would have been the definition of holding Josh back. Eventually Josh hit a couple in the second NE game. We lost but it was a significantly better game for Allen than the first match up.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh's QB rating was in the 60's vs Baltimore and Pittsburgh and in the 70's against Cleveland, under 85 vs Philly.

And 120 vs Dallas, 117 vs Miami, 102 vs NE and 92 vs Denver. 

And Philly was one of the first 8 games Josh played. Not one of the last 8.

You don’t have a point here unless you can tell me his overall QB rating was higher in the first 8 games played than it was in the last 8 games. I’ll save you the time in looking, it wasn’t. And that doesn’t even factor the greater degree of difficulty in the second half of the season playing better defenses and games that matter with playoffs on the line.

Your theory that Daboll held Allen back in the second half of the season doesn’t seem to hold any water. Unless holding back strictly refers to passing yards and completion percentage. And again against much better defenses. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

For 20 years, I've heard nothing but we need to get rid of this guy or that guy and we'll immediately be better.  Finally, we have some continuity.  The same HC, OC, DC and several key players in place.  And we're finally 10-6 and in the playoffs.   Yet, we want our young QB's OC gone??   I say no.. I want them to continue developing together and getting better; not starting over with someone new in a new system.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Daboll was at Bama for one season.  They were a stacked team at every position and doubly so at QB.  Prior to that he had some BS job at NE

So when he has the talent, he does a good job? How about we get more offensive talent like we all know we need? It's like you're talking out of both sides...

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They scored 19ppg vs top defenses.  They were bailed out by their own D.

Yes, Josh has gotten better.  But his output is what it is--and it's not leaps and bounds better than last year's 11 starts.  

If you want to say Daboll helped get Josh man incremental bump from last year---ok, have that.  But Daboll has shown noting at all, ever, to give me any hops he will take the (for the Bills) generational talent at QB to the next level.  Daboll may be a nice guy, but he's a nobody as OC.  You want to make him the QB coach?  Ok...sure.

It absolutely is leaps and bounds. Josh improves in EVERY statistical category. TD%, INT% EVERYTHING. And on the field, he’s much better at staying in the pocket and going through his reads. He made plays over and over again this year that he was incapable of doing last year.

You can dislike Dab’s gameplans, but Josh Allen’s improvement under him is obvious.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a joke but Daboll had no real power when he was at Bama or at NE. WEO was right about that. He was awful at every OC job although he had crap to work with. But he was horrible. That is a fact.

I have mixed feelings about Daboll myself. There is a good deal to like and a good deal to question. I also think McD holds him back to some degree.

Josh is a stud arm talent. It's off the charts. He is a stud athlete. It's off the charts. He is smart, has a fabulous work ethic, and is very coachable. Daboll had nothing to do with that. It's impossible to know whether a different guy would have helped Josh more or less, but Josh clearly likes him so I want him to stay at least another year before I would think about getting rid of him.

We know what his coaches at Wyoming were able to do, and it wasn’t super pretty or “studly.”

Edited by BringBackOrton

A large number of the fans here would rejoice and then prepare to skewer the next sacrificial lamb who takes the Bills' OC job. 

Daboll would be a loss not necessarily because he is the greatest play caller (he isn't) but because this is the critical offseason in Josh's development. It is the worst possible time for a new scheme and him to have to build a new relationship. Oh and Dabes just isn't as bad a Coordinator as the mob would have you believe. 

Oh and also I haven't read all 8 pages but I hope @Kirby Jackson is here to dish out some humble pie to the Daboll blamers who were arguing until blue in the face 3 weeks ago that this guy couldn't possibly get HC looks. 

• Like (+1) 7