Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lynn won’t be bringing Roman’s playbook or Pro Bowlers with him. Hard pass.

First, I wouldn't want Roman's playbook as it is a run heavy scheme. Second, I would like Josh Allen to be mentored and developed properly while not in an overly complicated passing scheme. I think Lynn brings that. I think Allen gets it and not so sure the rest of the offense does though. 

If you look at the results from Lynn's first season going from McCoy's 2015 (4-12)-2016 (5-11) seasons to 9-7 in his first year, 12-4 in his second season. The Chargers offense improved under Lynn without going to a heavy run offense like Roman would install. The last thing i would want is to have Allen in more called QB runs.

Also, if you look at the 2018 offensive line rankings the Chargers (30) actually graded worse over that horrendous Buffalo Bills (26) line.

Like others have mentioned that Lynn took over play calling for Greg Roman in Buffalo and improved it. My take is he would do the same with Daboll's play book. JMO

Besides, this speculation is kinda moot as I kinda doubt the Chargers will even let Lynn leave for 2020. 

30 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

First, I wouldn't want Roman's playbook as it is a run heavy scheme. Second, I would like Josh Allen to be mentored and developed properly while not in an overly complicated passing scheme. I think Lynn brings that. I think Allen gets it and not so sure the rest of the offense does though. 

If you look at the results from Lynn's first season going from McCoy's 2015 (4-12)-2016 (5-11) seasons to 9-7 in his first year, 12-4 in his second season. The Chargers offense improved under Lynn without going to a heavy run offense like Roman would install. The last thing i would want is to have Allen in more called QB runs.

Also, if you look at the 2018 offensive line rankings the Chargers (30) actually graded worse over that horrendous Buffalo Bills (26) line.

Like others have mentioned that Lynn took over play calling for Greg Roman in Buffalo and improved it. My take is he would do the same with Daboll's play book. JMO

Besides, this speculation is kinda moot as I kinda doubt the Chargers will even let Lynn leave for 2020. 

Who has Lynn developed as a QB that makes him qualified for that job? You know he was an RB coach, right? You know he’s never even developed an offense before, right?

He doesn’t get to keep Daboll’s playbook either lol. And it wouldn’t make sense to keep Daboll’s EP system with multiple checks and then use it as a “uncomplicated passing scheme.” Those are opposite things. It’s like saying let’s take Rex Ryan’s defense, and get rid of the exotic disguises and blitzes.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Lynn is coaching fools gold. He's not qualified to lead a team and rides the coat tails of a borderline hall of fame QB and other elite players on that team.

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

There sure are, but I don’t know a lot of fired coordinators who eventually got the HC tap. I’m sure there’s been a couple but that position gets turned over quite a bit. 

Not to mention, coordinators who become HC’s because of their success at coordinator but get fired usually maintain their rep as a good, or at least employable coordinator. Leslie Frazier, Norv Turner, etc.

Chan Gailey was a fired coordinator in his most recent role pre getting the Bills job. He is the only one that immediately comes to mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Who has Lynn developed as a QB that makes him qualified for that job? You know he was an RB coach, right? You know he’s never even developed an offense before, right?

He doesn’t get to keep Daboll’s playbook either lol. And it wouldn’t make sense to keep Daboll’s EP system with multiple checks and then use it as a “uncomplicated passing scheme.” Those are opposite things. It’s like saying let’s take Rex Ryan’s defense, and get rid of the exotic disguises and blitzes.

Where do you get this stuff from comparing Lynn to Rex Ryan? Rex ruined a dominant pass rushing line in Buffalo by installing his scheme which didn't fit the players on the roster. Lynn has never done anything like that!

Lynn took over a bad Chargers team and got them to a winning season his first year 9-7 and 12-4 in his second season. Even beating the Baltimore Ravens in a WC game. Regardless of the players on the current Chargers roster as both Phillip Rivers and Keenan Allen were both on those 4-12 /5-11 rosters too. It's my take that Rivers hit the wall this past season.

The fact that Anthony Lynn is a current winning NFL head coach and still has a job after he was promoted from RB's coach to OC where he greatly improved the Bills play calling, to HC in Buffalo! Was hired away by the Chargers to be their new HC and unlike Freddie Kitchens he produced a playoff team. I think his current achievements speak for themselves.

Do you know what offensive scheme they run in Los Angles? Yeah, that's right, Erhardt-Perkins. Same scheme only less complicated and more productive. 

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Not to mention, coordinators who become HC’s because of their success at coordinator but get fired usually maintain their rep as a good, or at least employable coordinator. Leslie Frazier, Norv Turner, etc.

Norv Turner may be available.  He his presently listed as OC in Carolina.  If he did become available, I'd make a serious run at him.  Carolina was ranked 10th in O with Cam in 2018 and 16th with one of the other Allens at QB in 2019. Has a Daboll offense ever been ranked that high?

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. History is littered with guys who were hot coordinators for a few years and then suddenly the offers dried up. Hell, there were 3 years in a row that Greg Roman got HC looks, then nothing since. That will change this year you would expect but there are no guarantees. Ray Horton is the other one I always go to. He was the DC in Arizona under Whiz and a hot name for 2 or 3 hiring cycles without ever landing a job. He spent last year coaching DBs in Washington. If the opportunity knocks turning it down and waiting it out is a risky business. 

Completely agree.  So does Brian Schottenheimer. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't see how the Browns could sell Daboll to the fanbase - his profile just looks too much like Kitchens' - heck, they even look like identical twins...

The Browns can sell that Daboll coached Cleveland when it was great during a spell with Derek Anderson at QB. He coached Alabama's offense in 2009 to a national championship. He's coached up a young QB (like Baker) in Josh Allen to a playoff team. He's part of the Belichick coaching tree etc. On paper Daboll has some things that make him look good but if look closely he's struggled more  then performed yet the Bills winning gives him some nice cologne. 

Edited by The Jokeman

On 12/30/2019 at 11:22 PM, Billznut said:

That’s what I’m afraid of most of Daboll leaves 

I dont understand the fear. We didn't know what we were getting in Mc Dermott as a first time head coach. Ken Dorsey a former QB (Reich & Pederson) worked out fine as OC's. Ken Dorsey could be exactly what the offense needs if Dabol left. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't see how the Browns could sell Daboll to the fanbase - his profile just looks too much like Kitchens' - heck, they even look like identical twins...

IMO he would get the job with much more fan scrutiny than Kitchens as he was already a maligned, ineffective OC in Cleveland.    AND his Bills offense played badly and lost to the Browns this year.   This would have to be a hard pill to swallow for a Frown.

What would a comp to this look like from a Bills perspective........??

Maybe if the Bills hired George Edwards as HC?   The de facto Vikings DC under Zimmer......but former lousy Bills DC under Chan Gailey who got fired in favor of Wannstedt?    That might not even equate because bad OC's really make fans blood boil hotter than bad DC's.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Great post.

Everybody talks about coordinators not going to teams in turmoil like the Browns, but that’s overblown. HC opportunities dry up for guys a lot earlier that coordinator jobs. 

If I’m Daboll and the Browns offer me the job, I take it. Worst comes to worst, you get fired after 2-3 years and have a $15M windfall. Then you get a BS job somewhere as a TE coach and a year later you’re an OC again.  If he passes on an HC job and Allen regresses, or the offense sucks harder, and he gets fired as a coordinator, he may not get another HC offer again.

Fired HC’s get coordinator jobs. Fired coordinators don’t often become HC’s.

How does Wade Phillips fit into this?

He's been a DC for ten teams, and a HC/interim HC for six.  

51 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Do you know what offensive scheme they run in Los Angles? Yeah, that's right, Erhardt-Perkins. Same scheme only less complicated and more productive. 

That was Whisenhunt's scheme though, not Lynn's. Lynn made the very wise decision when he got there not to get involved in calling or changing the offense because Whiz was well established and had a good relationship with Rivers. That was a really good head coaching decision. 

They fired Whiz halfway through this year because the offense was a mess. They finished only 2 places above the Bills in scoring. Lynn then did start to get involved and insisted they run it more despite the fact they were really struggling on the ground. It did get a little better but they were 23rd in yards per rush. 

I like Anthony Lynn. I think some of the criticism of him in this thread is unfair but I actually like him more as a HC than I do the idea of him as an offensive coordinator. I think he is a good leader. He called Greg Roman's offense well. But I am not sure about him as a scheme designer. That to me is entirely unproven at this point. The offense in Buffalo was Roman's and the offense in LA was Whisenhunt's and already in place when Lynn arrived. 

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO he would get the job with much more fan scrutiny than Kitchens as he was already a maligned, ineffective OC in Cleveland.    AND his Bills offense played badly and lost to the Browns this year.   This would have to be a hard pill to swallow for a Frown.

What would a comp to this look like from a Bills perspective........??

Maybe if the Bills hired George Edwards as HC?   The de facto Vikings DC under Zimmer......but former lousy Bills DC under Chan Gailey who got fired in favor of Wannstedt?    That might not even equate because bad OC's really make fans blood boil hotter than bad DC's.

Yea. It would feel a lot like that.

Didn't Edwards get HC interviews last year? Can't remember who with but I seem to recall he did and it made my blood run cold even though it wasn't with the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Where do you get this stuff from comparing Lynn to Rex Ryan? Rex ruined a dominant pass rushing line in Buffalo by installing his scheme which didn't fit the players on the roster. Lynn has never done anything like that!

Lynn took over a bad Chargers team and got them to a winning season his first year 9-7 and 12-4 in his second season. Even beating the Baltimore Ravens in a WC game. Regardless of the players on the current Chargers roster as both Phillip Rivers and Keenan Allen were both on those 4-12 /5-11 rosters too. It's my take that Rivers hit the wall this past season.

The fact that Anthony Lynn is a current winning NFL head coach and still has a job after he was promoted from RB's coach to OC where he greatly improved the Bills play calling, to HC in Buffalo! Was hired away by the Chargers to be their new HC and unlike Freddie Kitchens he produced a playoff team. I think his current achievements speak for themselves.

I didn’t compare Lynn to Rex Ryan. I compared simplifying our system to basically eroding the point of the system. 

Yes, Lynn has won with the Chargers. That doesn’t prove ANYTHING about his ability to develop an offensive scheme. That’s not his job as an HC in LA, and it wasn’t his job as an OC or RB coach for the Bills.

What evidence do you have that the scheme in LA is less complicated than the one in Buffalo? Furthermore, what evidence do you have that THAT is the reason it is more productive, and not the fact that Allen, Rivers, and Gordon were better than their Bills counterparts prior to this last season?

48 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How does Wade Phillips fit into this?

He's been a DC for ten teams, and a HC/interim HC for six.  

Wade is a perfect example of how the NFL works. He’s gotten fired as an HC a bunch of times but continues to get coordinator jobs because he’s got a reputation as a heck of a coordinator. 

If a guy like Nate Hackett got an HC offer after a great 2017, he’d have been crazy to pass it up. 

....LMAO...this is "breaking news ???".......should be TMZ stuff......wadda think Brian?......

Cleveland Browns News: Todd Monken told opposing coaches team was 'total mess'

by Randy Gurziabout 8 hours ago

You could be forgiven if you didn't realize Todd Monken was the offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. The fact is, no one ever really heard much from him.

Really, the only time Monken would be mentioned was when now-fired head coach Freddie Kitchens would say he's not turning the play-calling over to Monken. And apparently, there may have been more to Kitchens' refusal to give up his duties.

On the surface, it appeared to be stubbornness, but it was likely that animosity between the two factored in as well. Reports have now surfaced that Monken and Kitchens didn't see eye to eye.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/01/02/cleveland-browns-news-todd-monken-told-opposing-coaches-team-total-mess/

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t think he is a serious Contender just gonna pick his Brain on the McD Process (DePodesta wanted McD three years ago)

Yeah I don’t either. I don’t see him as a head coach (he’s barely a quality OC IMo).  Sad part is if the Browns hire the right coach, they could be good right away.  But they won’t.