Joe Thomas wants Daboll for CLE HC - Mary Kay Cabot confirms request

Reed83HOF

I don't really know what Daboll has done that would justify head coaching hype. Josh is still a work in progress. I love Josh and I think he has potential, he already has come a long way but is he a top 10 QB? Is he even a top 15 QB (very arguable.) The offense has been lower mid-level overall (which is fine considering they still need more weapons and it is helmed by a developing QB.) I don't understand how some coaches get this hype while others don't. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Where on earth did you get the idea that Allen's bad at play action? He has a NASTY fake.

Not at all. Terrible mechanics. Really needs to work on it this offseason. You can tell right away when it's action. If I can tell the defense can.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's how Pettine got the job.

It's just a train wreck over there. 

At the Browns rate they would have fired legend HC's as well for poor 1st seasons. 

I'm not saying the coaches they fired would amount to anything either but new HC's every 1-2years is not going to work at all.

What a friggin mess,  Haslam needs to ring Pegulas on how to tear it down like after our Rex Ryan debacle.  Dorsey needs to be fired as well as he is just as much the problem if not more.

Browns would have most likely canned all 4 of these guys if they started the way they did below.

Bill Belichick:

• First 2 Seasons as Patriots HC: 5-11 in 2000, 11-5 in 2001
  • 6 Super Bowl victories

Chuck Noll:

• First 2 Seasons as Steelers HC: 1-13 in 1969, 5-9 in 1970
  • 4 Super Bowl victories

Bill Walsh:

• First 2 seasons as 49ers HC: 2-14 in 1979, 6-10 in 1980
  • 3 Super Bowl victories

Jimmy Johnson:

• First 2 seasons as Cowboys HC: 1-15 in 1989, 7-9 in 1990
  • 2 Super Bowl victories
Edited by Real McNasty

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Have you seen this team try to run a screen? 2 things we suck at are screens and playaction. I'm sorry to say it's mostly because the QB is terrible at running them.

No opportunity missed :rolleyes:

Image result for crusade gif

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

It's just a train wreck over there. 

At the Browns rate they would have fired legend HC's as well for poor 1st seasons. 

I'm not saying the coaches they fired would amount to anything either but new HC's every 1-2years is not going to work at all.

What a friggin mess,  Haslam needs to ring Pegulas on how to tear it down like after our Rex Ryan debacle.  Dorsey needs to be fired as well as he is just as much the problem if not more.

Browns would have most likely canned all 4 of these guys if they started the way they did below.

Bill Belichick:

• First 2 Seasons as Patriots HC: 5-11 in 2000, 11-5 in 2001
  • 6 Super Bowl victories

Chuck Noll:

• First 2 Seasons as Steelers HC: 1-13 in 1969, 5-9 in 1970
  • 4 Super Bowl victories

Bill Walsh:

• First 2 seasons as 49ers HC: 2-14 in 1979, 6-10 in 1980
  • 3 Super Bowl victories

Jimmy Johnson:

• First 2 seasons as Cowboys HC: 1-15 in 1989, 7-9 in 1990
  • 2 Super Bowl victories

They literally had Belichick and fired him. WITH Saban on that staff too.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

@GunnerBill what's your take on this somewhat odd take?

I don't see anything wrong with the fakes as such. I think sometimes the RPOs are a bit clunky. Could do with being more decisive as to when he is pulling and when he is giving to Singletary. Not sure if that what is being referred to? 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't see anything wrong with the fakes as such. I think sometimes the RPOs are a bit clunky. Could do with being more decisive as to when he is pulling and when he is giving to Singletary. Not sure if that what is being referred to? 

That makes more sense. I've seen Josh execute some beautiful PA passes.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Have you seen this team try to run a screen? 2 things we suck at are screens and playaction. I'm sorry to say it's mostly because the QB is terrible at running them.

I don’t think our lack of success there has anything to do with Allen. Our screen plays are just poorly designed

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They literally had Belichick and fired him. WITH Saban on that staff too.

The RAVENS fired Belichick.  The Browns moved to Baltimore & fired Belichick.  The current Browns didn't play until 3 seasons after Belichick was fired, 

6 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Weren't they sold to Baltimore? 

I'm just so glad this isn't the Bills, we were right there towards the end of the Wilson era. 

I wouldn't call moving a team "sold to Baltimore"

6 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Weren't they sold to Baltimore? 

I'm just so glad this isn't the Bills, we were right there towards the end of the Wilson era. 

Correct.  BB coached Cleveland’s last game but Baltimore didn’t want a Cleveland coach holdover.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's not consistent. He can do it, we've seen him do it, but he has to really work at it this offseason.

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The RAVENS fired Belichick.  The Browns moved to Baltimore & fired Belichick.  The current Browns didn't play until 3 seasons after Belichick was fired, 

I wouldn't call moving a team "sold to Baltimore"

Sure, either way, its still a very Brownsy thing to have happen. Have Belichick and Saban on staff... and then lose the team completely to another city. Where they go on to win a Super Bowl a few years later. ?

I don’t know why so many are rooting for Daboll to be hired away and for Josh Allen + the offense to have to start from scratch with a new playbook/system, instead of being able to hit the ground running in year 2/3 of Daboll’s system.

Isn't Josh Allen’s growth the main priority right now? And don’t most of us agree that he’s trending in the right direction and took some nice steps forward in his development this season? Well, how many times has he credited Daboll with being a huge help to his development? I think Allen’s continued growth is what makes this offense better, not necessarily a new OC. It’s not like Daboll wasn’t getting guys open. 

He obviously has room to improve as a play caller, but I expect him to continue to grow into that role. He’s young still, he’s smart, he’s willing to adapt and is open to player input. He also has tons of knowledge of many positions on both sides of the ball (having coached so many positions) that seems to be helping Allen with reading defenses and other nuances of playing QB.

Id much rather have continuity on offense entering next season. Daboll has almost an entire new starting offense this year. I’d like to see what they could do with a 2nd year. 

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. 

• Like (+1) 1

Am I one of the few that wants to see Daboll still coaching our offense next year.  I like a steady improvement throughout the year of the run game and I can see a lot of Allen's game improving.  You can second guess his playcalling but it's not always as easy as run on these downs and pass on these downs.  Scheme and keeping the defenses guessing is always important

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In the pantheon of really bad decisions, that one's up there.

Nice (glowing) article on his coaching staff in 1995

He hand picked an incredible staff. 
“His critically-acclaimed and widely-respected coaching staff included Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens Executive) & Michael Lombardi (longtime NFL Executive) along w/ the following NFL General Managers: Thomas Dimitroff(Atlanta Falcons GM), Scott Pioli (Kansas City Chiefs GM) & Mike Tannenbaum(New York Jets GM).

Also branching-out from his abundantly fruitful coaching tree — Jim Schwartz(Detroit Lions' head coach) and Eric Mangini (former-New York Jets/Cleveland Browns coach and NFL analyst); who were considered the younglings a.k.a. “slappies” — guys with “desks out in the hall.”

But the impressive list doesn't stop there, the exclusive names continues w/ 3x National College Football Champion head coach — Nick Saban (Alabama) and Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) — two of college football’s top-tier sideline generals.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1