Marcel Dareus cited for weed possession in Florida

YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

pointing out facts is all. 

It's non-sense. The color of his skin didn't make him speed or drive under the influence. Those are the relevant facts. The sun being hot is as relevant as his skin color to this case. 

7 minutes ago, babulator said:

It's non-sense. The color of his skin didn't make him speed or drive under the influence. Those are the relevant facts. The sun being hot is as relevant as his skin color to this case. 

pointing our FACTS. On what has happened since Medical Marijuana passing in Florida has happened. Those with colored skin cited and cards ignored at a much higher rate than Whites. 

So yes those are facts. With HOW law enforcement occurs with Weed in Florida 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

pointing our FACTS. On what has happened since Medical Marijuana passing in Florida has happened. Those with colored skin cited and cards ignored at a much higher rate than Whites. 

So yes those are facts. With HOW law enforcement occurs with Weed in Florida 

Irrelevant.  My point remains, it has nothing to do with him  speeding or driving under the influence.

The fact that oceans contain water is just as relevant a fact. I don't understand what it has to do with Marcell making dumb decisions.

2 minutes ago, babulator said:

Irrelevant.  My point remains, it has nothing to do with him  speeding or driving under the influence.

The fact that oceans contain water is just as relevant a fact. I don't understand what it has to do with Marcell making dumb decisions.

Irrelevant that those of color are 2 times more likely to be cited and arrested for Weed than whites in Florida?  Wow Your privilege is strong 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Irrelevant that those of color are 2 times more likely to be cited and arrested for Weed than whites in Florida?  Wow Your privilege is strong 

And there it is. Virtue signaling of the highest order. 

Facts of the case be damned! but but but.... this population gets arrested and prosecuted more than another population. So it's totally alright for me to drive while wasted and disobey traffic laws on public roads thereby putting everyone else at risk.

I believe in personal accountability. Id encourage you to read  "Discrimination and Disparities" by Dr. Thomas Sowell or really any of his books. Or you could listen to him here.

Sadly, your education has failed you.

8 minutes ago, babulator said:

And there it is. Virtue signaling of the highest order. 

Facts of the case be damned! but but but.... this population gets arrested and prosecuted more than another population. So it's totally alright for me to drive while wasted and disobey traffic laws on public roads thereby putting everyone else at risk.

I believe in personal accountability. Id encourage you to read  "Discrimination and Disparities" by Dr. Thomas Sowell or really any of his books. Or you could listen to him here.

Sadly, your education has failed you.

...he is a brilliant and well rounded, level headed mind........have studied him for years....good find bud!....:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It’s stupid to get caught with it yes. But it’s just weed it really is no big deal. 

The point is, the NFL has a well-known and well-publicized policy about various drugs, one of which is marijuana.  It has an escalating series of suspensions.  So if the guy wants to play, it's a big deal.

8 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

My money’s on 2 games. 

I don't think so.  Dareus was suspended 4 games in 2016 for a positive marijuana test.  I think he's up to 10 games or gone.

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Well... 2 times more likely to be out and smoking at the same time, also speeding while doing it. So... People's own stupidity.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Well... 2 times more likely to be out and smoking at the same time, also speeding while doing it. So... People's own stupidity.

I don't think we need to go there. 

Let's just postulate for a moment maybe it's true that for all people driving around with medical marijuana cards, black people are 2x more likely to have their card ignored or what have you.

Dareus is a professional in a profession that bans marijuana and provides escalating suspensions for violations.  So it's pretty dang dumb of him to be driving around in a car full of it.  I mean, what, he can't afford his own house where he can lock the doors, turn up the air filters, and do whatever?  Dial up Doordash if you got the munchies, and the pantry is bare, Man!  And if you don't care to play any more, quit robbing the Jags and retire already.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think we need to go there. 

Let's just postulate for a moment maybe it's true that for all people driving around with medical marijuana cards, black people are 2x more likely to have their card ignored or what have you.

Dareus is a professional in a profession that bans marijuana and provides escalating suspensions for violations.  So it's pretty dang dumb of him to be driving around in a car full of it.  I mean, what, he can't afford his own house where he can lock the doors, turn up the air filters, and do whatever?  Dial up Doordash if you got the munchies, and the pantry is bare, Man!  And if you don't care to play any more, quit robbing the Jags and retire already.

I agree with all of this.  I think it's stupid that marijuana is still tested for/against the rules.  But the fact remains, for now, that it IS against the rules.  I've got no problem with Dareus, or anyone else, wanting to smoke a J.  But don't be friggin' stupid about it.

Here's another thought ... get some edibles, man!!  No smell.  No lung damage.  From what I've heard (seriously - I've never tried them), they pack a serious punch.

So many alternatives.  Driving around with a bunch of weed and smoking it while driving around?  That's just stupid.

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

do you have a link to proof of this?   Like, concrete #s broken down by race of those who were stopped by police officers and cited but were / were not placed under arrest for a given time range?

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

do you have a link to proof of this?   Like, concrete #s broken down by race of those who were stopped by police officers and cited but were / were not placed under arrest for a given time range?

I'm kind of thinking this is going beyond the football relevance of the discussion.

Pruning sheers coming out.

I'm trying to decide if this is a personal tragedy, a football tragedy, both or neither.  This is his third marijuana incident, and he's likely to get slammed by the league.  10 games or maybe a year.

Dareus at one time was described by people who know as "the best DT in the league, Period". 

This was after the Schwartz season.

If he wanted to have the recognition of a HOF career, he had that potential and he squandered it by starting to "mail it in" afterwards under Sexy Rexy - the football tragedy aspect.  Yet he's still playing when he could retire, he's earned enough.  Reported career earnings $87M.  So it seems as though football must still mean something to him.

On the other hand, it's hard to feel too sorry for a guy who has shaken down the league for $87M dollars.  But why is a guy with that kind of money cruising around late at night with 3 dudes and a grinder?  It's as though his life is empty and he's filling it up with junk.  He could be on a houseboat in the Caribbean, or in Ontario where MJ is legal, anywhere in the world doing anything. So there's that personal tragedy aspect.

Overall I guess I vote for "neither"; he's just a doofus.

• Like (+1) 1

Stupid idiot. 

You've got a $10M check coming to you in March if you can just keep your nose clean. 

I understand wanting to get baked with your friends - but why do you speed in your car while doing it?

***** moron. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is, the NFL has a well-known and well-publicized policy about various drugs, one of which is marijuana.  It has an escalating series of suspensions.  So if the guy wants to play, it's a big deal.

I don't think so.  Dareus was suspended 4 games in 2016 for a positive marijuana test.  I think he's up to 10 games or gone.

Dareus is a bum.  I feel for the many Bills fans I saw last week walking around in a #99 Bills jersey

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm trying to decide if this is a personal tragedy, a football tragedy, both or neither.  This is his third marijuana incident, and he's likely to get slammed by the league.  10 games or maybe a year.

Dareus at one time was described by people who know as "the best DT in the league, Period". 

If he wanted to have the recognition of a HOF career, he had that potential and he squandered it by starting to "mail it in" afterwards under Sexy Rexy - the football tragedy aspect.  Yet he's still playing when he could retire, he's earned enough.  Reported career earnings $87M.  So it seems as though football must still mean something to him.

On the other hand, it's hard to feel too sorry for a guy who has shaken down the league for $87M dollars.  But why is a guy with that kind of money cruising around late at night with 3 dudes and a grinder?  It's as though his life is empty and he's filling it up with junk.  He could be on a houseboat in the Caribbean, or in Ontario where MJ is legal, anywhere in the world doing anything. So there's that personal tragedy aspect.

It's sad and I cannot bring myself to say any negatives about Dareus 

All the sour grapes stem from the fact everybody saw how great he could be... But the league is a grind, and not everybody is mentally cut for it

I'm sure Dareus isn't happy with the way his career has gone outside money... Every player has pride and what ifs... I bet he is no different

I wish he finds happiness and success , like everybody

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He also might be someone who is not quite able to cope with the way his life went down in terms of the hardships that he did endure. Calling him a name might be oversimplification, or so I think.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

@DC Tom views this statement as idiotic redundancy :D 

I suppose that he is right. I'm not going to argue with him. ?

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He also might be someone who is not quite able to cope with the way his life went down in terms of the hardships that he did endure. Calling him a name might be oversimplification, or so I think.

Well, of course it's an oversimplification.  But so is calling him "someone who is not quite able to cope with the way his life went down in terms of the hardships that he did endure".

The bottom line is that there are plenty of people who endure tragedies and hardships in various forms and struggle to cope.  You probably worked next to some of them, and interacted with piles of others.  Some of them can in no way afford counseling or therapy or time off and have very little support network, but they suck it up and soldier on.  Our neighbor was widowed in her mid-40s.  She had been with her husband since age 14-modern Juliet.  He had a heart attack from a "widowmaker" vein blockage and an RN neighbor running over to start CPR immediately and prompt paramedic attention couldn't bring him back.  She's lost numerous other relatives to one or another form of sudden death.  She sucks it up and soldiers on.  Smokes too, at home with the door shut.

Dareus was blessed with physical talent that earned him all the resources he needs.  He was given time by his employer to seek treatment, and chose to spend it partying and visiting folks.  So yes, while I'm sure your diagnosis is correct that he is "someone who is not quite able to cope with the way his life went down in terms of the hardships that he did endure", he is also "someone who has the ability and resources to find help to cope with the way his life went down and his hardships and loss, and chose to get in a car and race around with his buds and a grinder instead".

I oversimplify, and say doofus.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, MAJBobby said:

Medical is Legal. Just saying. 

And morons driving high put themselves and others in danger. Colorado has a huge problem with stoned drivers that is the leading cause for concern; I can guarantee you that, beyond the tobacco/alcohol lobbies, irresponsible people who see legalization as a license to operate a motor vehicle while impaired- and without the ability to test on the spot as with BAC- will be the largest reason for delayed legalization federally. I don't care if people use, and hopefully changed attitudes/legal status can lead to more medical breakthroughs like GWPH's epilepsy drug derived from cannabinoids or the replacement of opioids with CBD, but people like Dareus should get meaningful jail terms if they are careless enough to drive high. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, maybe he’s not even that. Maybe he doesn’t care, given the $87m.  I’m not even sure I’d go with my first thought from back when he was with the Bills, which is ‘self-destructive’.  Apathetic, maybe. 

I can’t ever wrap my head around a guy who just says “screw it” to simple things like “stay away from weed”.  A guy with a CDL can find a way to avoid a speeding ticket, something the average guy ‘risks’ every day.  

I think he he just doesn’t really care one way or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, MAJBobby said:

How much more likely are the to smoke weed?