Did we land a top 5 GM in Beane?

Most Bills fans here thought Buddy Nix had upgraded the team with talent and things were on the rise...We all saw that 100 million spent on a pass rushing DE and having the best pass rush in the league didn't equate to more than 9 wins. No playoffs!

Most Bills fans here thought Doug Whaley had upgraded the team with talent and things were on the rise...We all saw that having the best run game in the league in yards, TDs, YPC didn't equate to more than 9 wins. No Playoffs!

Those men made many, many mistakes and then attempted fixes with bandaids. Both, their biggest flaws were not finding a franchise QB.

Beane made some mistakes this season with the backup QBs in obtaining them late. But ultimately found quality backups to help the rookie QB. Beane made huge mistakes with some receivers and O linemen but then he might have been influenced by assistants who were bad at their respective jobs. McD and Beane have replaced those assistants along with others (ST coach) who were also bad at their jobs. 

Beane found his franchise QB and somewhat moved mountains to obtain him by trading up to the #7 spot and then trading up again to get the MLB at the #16 spot. What happened last season was due to some bad decisions with a bad O line, bad WRs, bad assistant coaching and little to no run game. 

Bottom line is "winning cures everything"! Ten wins and beating the Patriots once this season will lock Beane down as the best since Polian. Six wins like Vegas suggests will mean Beane failed in a lot of his player choices.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The wins need to come. Otherwise, saying he is top 5 is foolhardy.

Wins are a result of talent accumulation AND coaching. I’m NOT anti-McD, but he came first. If coaching turns out to be the holdup, then we have another conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wins are a result of talent accumulation AND coaching. I’m NOT anti-McD, but he came first. If coaching turns out to be the holdup, then we have another conversation. 

This is kind of how I feel. I think Beane is a very good GM. I think Mc Dermott is a great DB and LB evaluator and a good D coach. IF McDermott can become as good at the Offensive side of the ball as the defensive side then everyone will be considered great.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

It's pretty simple.

If Allen is a mega-franchise QB, everyone's job is safe and Beane gets the love as a top 5 GM.

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I know it was Brandon- my point was Whaley allowed it. Please re read what I wrote- thanks.

Brandon was Whaleys boss and ultimately the Pegulas made the decision.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I know, I know.

Being objective isn't allowed here. The mentality must be "the Bills are always an up and coming team with the right people in place"..... until they aren't. 

Ill praise Beane when he deserves it. That's all.??

No, that just seems to be the case now.  In my opinion he has done a well above average job.  He hasnt earned any top 5 status yet.  But if you look around the league you will see GMs wandering in the dark.  At least ours seems to have a plan and methodology.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

The coaching seems to be pretty good when you figure the level players are performing at.  I try to stay positive but we had no business winning 6 games last season.  Truth is our offensive line is still a question mark.  But Beane and McDermott are not just sitting on their rears.  I truely think that Beane will be very successful because he sticks to his philosophyies.  Although he is flexible it seems they wont deviate from their core principals.

They will take BPA Regardless of position if it will make the team better.  

They try to maximize CAP dollars and address needs with players that have already proven they can play in the NFL so they dont end up with a Rookie who is not yet able to play on this level.

The players will be team first or they wont be here.

No room for steps back though now that the only fingerprints on the team are his and McDs

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The coaching seems to be pretty good when you figure the level players are performing at.  I try to stay positive but we had no business winning 6 games last season.  

I think 6 was about right, all things considered, and that’s what we got.Anything less than 9 next year would be very disappointing, but you never know what the future holds. I look for progress. 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Most Bills fans here thought Doug Whaley had upgraded the team with talent and things were on the rise...We all saw that having the best run game in the league in yards, TDs, YPC didn't equate to more than 9 wins. No Playoffs!

A little defense would have helped. The talent on the 2015 and 2016 teams WAS playoff quality.  That team would have made playoffs if only Rex could coach defense which evidently he could not.  Not Doug''s fault.  

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, corta765 said:

Listen I am a big Beane fan and his early resume is quiet nice to this point including breaking the drought. But I do want to pump the breaks a little because I liked Whaley a ton too and lots of people heading into the 2015 offseason thought he was the dude after putting together a strong D and adding good FA's to offense with the McCoy trade being the highlight. That didn't turn out well which was a mix of bad coaching and too much bad contracts. But my point being is before I even start saying top 5 I think we need to see some more success and yes I am saying it a division crown.

Now if you want to say Beane is one of the better/rising young minds I think that nationally is becoming a strong sentiment based off his work.

I'm always cautiously optimistic about our "up and comers". One thing I really like about Beane is that he appears to learn from his own mistakes, and mistakes made by prior regimes. 

Whaley's greatest trait was also his biggest weakness. He was good at identifying talent, but failed to properly build a team. It also made him over aggressive with his pursuit of talent, like giving a ludicrous contract to an average TE in Clay. His mentality of "win now" and "we're one player away" is what led to his downfall.

Beane has shown he can find talent everywhere. He also has shown he understands the concept of team building and managing the cap over a several year period. I look at it like chess. A good player will usually know the best move to make in a certain situation, while a great player will be planning 5-10 moves ahead and making sure he puts himself in a good position to succeed down the road. I could go on for days why I think he is a world better than Whaley, but ultimately it will come down to the Win Loss record. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, corta765 said:

True but remember Whaley never really had a say with the HC...

Maybe so, but if the rumor mill is to be believed he wanted Hue Jackson over Rex... which at the time may have seemed reasonable... however in hindsight would have been one of the few coaching hires that could have been both more of a douche and a worse coach than Rex.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cleaned up salary cap disaster in one year

Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB

Not afraid to roll the dice on an upside player, and more importantly, not afraid to admit a mistake and cut their ass if it doesn’t work

Addressed O-line and WR,  largest team weaknesses in FA, on team friendly deals without breaking the bank

Still has a top 10 draft pick in his pocket and nine other picks

Should have @$100 million in space next year to extend our own talent instead of watching it walk

Has the stones to go after AB, and the brains to walk away

Gets up in front of the entire NFL and national sports media and tells them all to suck his d*** for bad mouthing Buffalo

We’ll all see how it plays out on the field this season, but I think Beane has this franchise in the best shape it’s been in twenty years

I like Beane a lot. He looks like he's got an intelligent plan.

But some of your points here can be looked at just as easily as negatives.

He had the brains to walk away can be just as easily looked at as "He was forced to walk away in abject defeat with no hope of accomplishing his goal." He still has a top 10 draft pick can be looked at as "they were among the 10 worst teams last year and have a first round pick as does nearly every team. Big deal." Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB could just as easily be looked at as, "spent a ton of draft capital to draft a QB, but then ended up with a guy who is not accurate. He's smart, competitive and a hard worker, but could easily turn out a bust." You spun 'em positively, I spun 'em negatively. Neither is outright untrue, at this point.

And I really doubt they'll have $100 mill in space next year. We're already down to $75 mill, as he's continued spending. $75 mill sure ain't peanuts, but they were 10th in space a few days ago but have now climbed up to 9th. People should keep up with this before making claims about it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

Best shape it's been in 20 years? I don't see it. The 2004 Bills looked a lot better than this as did the Music City Miracle Bills. And right now Beane's gains are all on papers. The Nix Bills just up till they picked EJ and handed the reins over to Whaley had as much potential as this group, IMHO.

I'm really really hopeful. If I had to bet, I'd go very positive. But he hasn't proved much yet, not coming off a 6 win season, he hasn't. And I'll be the first to say that he was rebuilding and shouldn't be blamed for a bad record at this point. True. But we have yet to see how the rebuild turns out. Some work great. Some very much don't.

I think he's smart and I love his plan. But the cake's still in the oven.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

A little defense would have helped. The talent on the 2015 and 2016 teams WAS playoff quality.  That team would have made playoffs if only Rex could coach defense which evidently he could not.  Not Doug''s fault.  

Playoff quality? Perhaps the defensive players. The 2015 Bills offense was 31st in passing attempts and 28th in passing yards, 20th in passing TDs.  2016 saw the Bills pass game slightly regress to 32nd in the NFL and 30th in yards, 27th in passing TDs. The Bills 2015-2016 lacked a quality QB who could make plays through the air. The year previous the Bills went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB and the run game was 25th in yards. 

Like I said the biggest flaws with Nix, Whaley were that they failed to find that franchise QB.

Nevertheless, Whaley was in a position to thoroughly vet Rex Ryan when they were interviewing him for the HCing job. With Whaley being the GM he should have asked what scheme he intends to use with the defense and what players he would want to draft to improve it.

Ryan was hired Jan 13, 2015, and I can only imagine that while he was interviewed twice they must have asked how, what, when with the defense. During the interview process, Ryan must have let them know that he intended to have Dennis Thurman run his defense again because at that same time it was known that Jim Schwartz would not be back. 

Anyone with a pro football brain should have known that the 3-4 scheme that Ryan ran with the Jets depended on the D line players eating up blockers while not rushing the passer so the more talented linebackers could make the plays. In Buffalo, because the D line was far more talented then the LBers, Schwartz ran a 4-3 that allowed the D linemen to rush the passer and only occasionally dropped into pass coverage. 

Clearly, Rex Ryan should have never been hired in the first place unless he was to keep Jim Schwartz as DC. There were real reasons as to why Doug Whaley was fired as GM and why he is no longer working as a GM in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Beane a lot. He looks like he's got an intelligent plan.

But some of your points here can be looked at just as easily as negatives.

He had the brains to walk away can be just as easily looked at as "He was forced to walk away in abject defeat with no hope of accomplishing his goal." He still has a top 10 draft pick can be looked at as "they were among the 10 worst teams last year and have a first round pick as does nearly every team. Big deal." Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB could just as easily be looked at as, "spent a ton of draft capital to draft a QB, but then ended up with a guy who is not accurate. He's smart, competitive and a hard worker, but could easily turn out a bust." You spun 'em positively, I spun 'em negatively. Neither is outright untrue, at this point.

And I really doubt they'll have $100 mill in space next year. We're already down to $75 mill, as he's continued spending. $75 mill sure ain't peanuts, but they were 10th in space a few days ago but have now climbed up to 9th. People should keep up with this before making claims about it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

Best shape it's been in 20 years? I don't see it. The 2004 Bills looked a lot better than this as did the Music City Miracle Bills. And right now Beane's gains are all on papers. The Nix Bills just up till they picked EJ and handed the reins over to Whaley had as much potential as this group, IMHO.

I'm really really hopeful. If I had to bet, I'd go very positive. But he hasn't proved much yet, not coming off a 6 win season, he hasn't. And I'll be the first to say that he was rebuilding and shouldn't be blamed for a bad record at this point. True. But we have yet to see how the rebuild turns out. Some work great. Some very much don't.

I think he's smart and I love his plan. But the cake's still in the oven.

All valid points and well reasoned positions. I appreciate you disagreeing with my post without being disagreeable, something that is sorely lacking here at times.

I plead guilty to not looking at Sportrac before posting “@$100 million”.  I would guess we will be around $80-85 million in cap space after we sign our rookies and release players at cut downs, and if the salary cap goes up again next year. 

I think Beane and McDermott and the Pegulas are all on the same page, they have a plan, and they seem to be working that plan.

Let’s just unpack this free agency.  Like most here, I have been banging the “fix the O-line drum” all off-season.  I was hoping Beane would be able to upgrade two O-line positions in FA before heading into the draft, and it looks like Beane has upgraded four.

He added two veteran wide receivers who can catch the ball and show the young guys in the WR room how to be a pro.  They even poached the best receiver in the CFL and I’m excited to see what he can do.

I’m also big on Andre Roberts, a less heralded signing, but I wouldn’t be surprised to look back at a game this season where his return ability meant the difference between a win and a loss for this team. A modest amount of cap space very wisely spent.

I’m not a pie in the sky Bill’s fan.  I’ve been a Bill’s fan far too long for that.  I agree with you 100% that the proof of how well Beane is really doing will play out over the next couple of seasons in the wins and losses column.

At the end of the day though, when I try and look at where this franchise is objectively, I think this team is on the road to being relevant again for the first time in a long time. 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Playoff quality? Perhaps the defensive players. The 2015 Bills offense was 31st in passing attempts and 28th in passing yards, 20th in passing TDs.  2016 saw the Bills pass game slightly regress to 32nd in the NFL and 30th in yards, 27th in passing TDs. The Bills 2015-2016 lacked a quality QB who could make plays through the air. The year previous the Bills went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB and the run game was 25th in yards. 

Like I said the biggest flaws with Nix, Whaley were that they failed to find that franchise QB.

Nevertheless, Whaley was in a position to thoroughly vet Rex Ryan when they were interviewing him for the HCing job. With Whaley being the GM he should have asked what scheme he intends to use with the defense and what players he would want to draft to improve it.

Ryan was hired Jan 13, 2015, and I can only imagine that while he was interviewed twice they must have asked how, what, when with the defense. During the interview process, Ryan must have let them know that he intended to have Dennis Thurman run his defense again because at that same time it was known that Jim Schwartz would not be back. 

Anyone with a pro football brain should have known that the 3-4 scheme that Ryan ran with the Jets depended on the D line players eating up blockers while not rushing the passer so the more talented linebackers could make the plays. In Buffalo, because the D line was far more talented then the LBers, Schwartz ran a 4-3 that allowed the D linemen to rush the passer and only occasionally dropped into pass coverage. 

Clearly, Rex Ryan should have never been hired in the first place unless he was to keep Jim Schwartz as DC. There were real reasons as to why Doug Whaley was fired as GM and why he is no longer working as a GM in the NFL. 

Unfortunately the decision was made by two people who don't have a pro football brain. Terry and Kim Pegula. I don't believe anyone else in that room, Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley or the person making the coffee had any say. The Pegulas fell for Rex and nothing anyone said was going to stop them hiring him. They realised their mistake soon enough but then bottled the decision that they wanted to make at the end of 2015 (which was to make Rex a one and done HC).

Actually it was the same in the McDermott search. Doug Whaley liked Kris Richard a lot and still wanted to interview Keith Butler but the Pegulas had made their minds up, they had found their guy and the job was McDermott's. Very quickly they then put him in total control of the football operation until such time they could acquire his own hand picked GM. Now I think they learned from hiring Rex to hiring McDermott and they had a much better profile of the kind of person you need to build sustainable long term NFL success the second time around and I think they made an immeasurably better choice.

But know this - while Terry and Kim Pegula own and run the Buffalo Bills THEY and they alone will choose the Head Coach. The job of the front office of the day will only ever be to draw up the list of candidates. The choice with be theirs. Now I believe they chose very well 2nd time around and hopefully as a result we will not need to hire a new Head Coach for many years to come. But when we do.... it will be Terry and Kim's guy again.

EDIT: To add as well - the reason Kyle Shanahan (the hottest coordinator in a headset in the hiring round that brought us McD) was not a candidate last time was because the Pegulas took an instant dislike to him during the 2015 process that led to Rex. He was blacklisted by them at that point. Yet more evidence that the people making the coaching decisions in Buffalo are the Pegulas. It is indisputable at this point.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

I enjoy reading the responses to this thread.  I realize the Bill's Mafia (I am a life long member) have suffered unspeakable emotional abuse as a fan, but why be so apprehensive when it comes to showing some love for Beane?  The Beane regime just has a different feel than the previous Bills has since 2000.  He actually seems to have an effective strategy to build a consistent winner in Buffalo. 

Besides a heart crushing beat down,  what do we have to lose to go all in on Beane?

Be bold.  Throw caution aside.  Embrace the Beane.   He is the man and he will lead us to glory.

Lifetime contract for Beane!!! 

Go Bills!!! 

Edited by longtimebillsfan

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The ability to try and make a trade for AB and then get turned down just can't be taught. ?

Make bad personnel decisions and then move on.... the talent just radiates from him.

15-17 record so far here....top 5? Best GM in the league for sure.??

If you are using record as an indicator of success, where does your favorite GM Doug Whaley rate?

7 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Brandon was Whaleys boss and ultimately the Pegulas made the decision.

No, that just seems to be the case now.  In my opinion he has done a well above average job.  He hasnt earned any top 5 status yet.  But if you look around the league you will see GMs wandering in the dark.  At least ours seems to have a plan and methodology.

Sometimes you have to make a stand- Whaley failed to do so

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Remember when trading back to select Manuel netted the 2013 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in Kiko Alonso in round 2?

Remember when Watkins put up over 2K receiving yards in his first two seasons........a 70 yards per game average?

While I ALSO like Tre White and Allen and Edmunds..........none of them started out as good as Alonso or Watkins.........which is why so many people here were absolutely ga-ga over Whaley at the same point as McBeane are at now.

Let's hope that unexpected injuries don't derail any of the Bills current hight picks.........but it wasn't a given that Kiko and Watkins would be injury riddled.............nor did it look like the other 2013 second rounder Robert Woods would put up 1200 yards receiving in 2018 though either.    Ronald Darby was also probably a top 5 all time Bills second round pick.

The real shabby work of Whaley was drafting Shaq and Ragnuts to appease Rex Ryan's needs.

Kiko was a Nix pick.

Tre White didn't start out as good as Watkins? That is arguable. And Tre stayed healthy. And while yeah, Kiko (Thanks, Buddy!!) started strong, he was tailing off by the end of his first season and in no way can you put his first two seasons against Tre's, considering he missed his entire second year. They're not even slightly comparable. And Kiko was a Nix pick. Yeah, Whaley likely had a lot of influence, but no, he wasn't the GM. Same with the trade-down for Manuel bringing in Kiko. Yeah, it was a nice trade-down, but the important choice that year was drafting a QB - again, Nix pulled the trigger so he gets ultimate blame, but you're acting as if moving back and then picking Manuel was a great decision. 

I suppose some people were ga-ga over Whaley but "so many"? I wouldn't say that. It was nothing like a consensus. Not even close.

Even that early, two years in, his drafts looked weak:

Watkins

Kouandjio

Preston Brown

Ross Cockerel

Cyril Richardson

Randell Johnson

Seantrell Henderson

Darby

John Miller

Karlos Williams

Tony Steward

Nick O'Leary

Dezmin Lewis

There was already huge doubt about Kouandjio, Cockrell had been released before his second season. Miller was questionable. O'Leary was a JAG at best. Karlos Williams had eaten his way out of the league and nobody was calling him.

It looked like in two drafts he'd acquired a WR who looked pretty good when healthy but always seemed to be injured, a solid, smart but uninspiring MLB in Brown, a good CB in Darby ... and that looked like it in terms of real talent. 

In no way did Whaley's drafts look as good as this FO's two drafts. 

I was still hopeful with Whaley but it didn't look good.

And Whaley stepped into a situation which should have allowed him to look good quickly. He stepped into a reload. He was able to maintain a defense that was really good and had been built almost completely under Nix. The salary cap situation was solid. The new group on the other hand rebuilt, which makes it much harder to win early. Not to mention that their first two drafts already look a ton better than Whaley's first two did. And after his first two years we were already headed towards salary cap trouble thanks to his contracts on guys like Clay.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane is not going to be judged because Nathan Peterman started as QB last year.

His final judgment will entirely be wired to Josh Allen, last years draft, this FA and this years draft. 

You have to know this.  You are a smart guy and sometimes I got to ask why people keep this up.

Beane and McDermott had a plan to totally dismantle this team.  It should not even be a question.

Whether he puts together a winner starts this year, last year has nothing to do with it.

And a smart guy would not simply toss out Beane's whole first year and give him a mulligan for no logical reason. If I owned a business an employee who wasted a whole year and required a 12 month mulligan would not still be employed by me.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Every FA they signed sucked ####. Not a good use of resources. But hey, he may be a top 5 GM.?

You've said it a lot. Still not true, though.  Again, Lotulelei has done what they wanted him to do. You just can't argue much with what they have done on defense. They've showed consistent improvement, to the point where they're one of the best defences in the league. And Lotulelei is a piece McDermott needed to get there. Signing Kyle for another year worked well. Bodine sure wasn't good, but he was acceptable, and if he hadn't been there we'd have had to rely on the worse Groy, not a great signing but for cheap, not bad. Bush played OK for cheap. Stanford played OK for very cheap and was solid on STs.

So your take is pure bull####.

He had extremely limited resources to use on FA, because they were concentrating on clearing the cap space for 2019, at which they clearly succeeded.

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

15-17 record so far here....top 5? Best GM in the league for sure.??

(face palm)

You're clearly right that it's far too early. That does indeed make a great deal of sense. He's got a ton to prove.

But again, you can't judge GMs or coaches by record in the first year of a rebuild, and particularly not a rebuild in which the previous administration put the team deep in cap trouble.

If you could judge coaches by their first two years in a rebuild, Bill Walsh would go down a bottom 5% coach, having won six games in his first two seasons.

You can't do it and be seen as understanding the process. This rebuild could fail or succeed. But once they made the choice to rebuild, a bad record for the first two years was a fait accompli. Coming up with 15 wins was actually pretty amazing.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's terrible for Whaley. In 2015 we spent $210 million on our active roster which was #1 in the league. In 2018 we spent $160 million on our active roster which was #31 in the league. How did we end up with the same record while spending a lot less on the roster? That's awful use of cap space.

What? Your lack of logic astounds me. In 2018 the league basic cap space was 177 million. Beane chose to waste 68 million of that in dead cap. Handicapping the team in 2018 in a wild gamble that giving it up, along with any hope of success that year would give him a bounty of cap space the next year. Wasting almost 40 % of your cap space paying players that are playing against you while not having enough cap space that year to put together a competitive team is good use of cap space in 2018? I call it reckless gamble. It all will depend on his other huge gamble on Allen. If Allen quickly becomes a successful franchise QB, Beane will be judged a successful gambler. If not, he will be judged a reckless loser.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, simpleman said:

And a smart guy would not simply toss out Beane's whole first year and give him a mulligan for no logical reason. If I owned a business an employee who wasted a whole year and required a 12 month mulligan would not still be employed by me.

I certainly wouldnt.  But he really came in after the offseason.  I think everything he did was part of the plan.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

23 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

If Beane isn't top 5 can someone list the Top 5 Current GMs for me then.

If Beane is considered top 5 then it is pretty much a meaningless accomplishment since Beane's accomplishment's thus far are none in terms of W's. The next few seasons and whether we either become a consistent winner or Allen becomes a franchise QB will determine if Beane is a success as a GM. Either one of those happening will make Beane a top GM.

Sure Beane was here for a 9-7 playoff year but that was with mostly players Whaley, Rex and McDermott had brought in. Beane's biggest contribution that year was bringing in KB. Not exactly a great move.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:02 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

Anyone can tear something down.  If that's the criteria you want, Sashi Brown did a WAY better job than Beane.  This is putting the cart before the horse, there's still a decent chance JA flames out dramatically and Beane is more remembered as being associated with trading Mahomes only to give up a bunch of picks to get Josh Allen.

Was Beane even here for that draft? I didn't think he was.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Beane is considered top 5 then it is pretty much a meaningless accomplishment since Beane's accomplishment's thus far are none in terms of W's. The next few seasons and whether we either become a consistent winner or Allen becomes a franchise QB will determine if Beane is a success as a GM. Either one of those happening will make Beane a top GM.

Sure Beane was here for a 9-7 playoff year but that was with mostly players Whaley, Rex and McDermott had brought in. Beane's biggest contribution that year was bringing in KB. Not exactly a great move.

Was Beane even here for that draft? I didn't think he was.

Can you give me 5 current GMs you'd rather have?

Edited by ProcessAccepted

On 4/4/2019 at 7:03 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

and he's made some killer FA moves this year, particularly with how he's structuring the deals to remain cap friendly for years to come. 

That is also code for not really bringing in anyone with real all-pro level talent.

Besides our new center, everyone else is average at best. Brown, Beasely, Kroft, none of these guys were going to be highly paid because they were not highly coveted. It is great that financial we are in good shape. But also, may need that flexibility if these free agents flame out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

Can you give me 5 GMs you'd rather have?

I don't know most GM's by name so probably not but I can try.

Bill Belicheck

Sean Payton (think he is the GM)

Andy Reid ( i think all these coaches are also GM's or have final say)

Jerry Jones (guy gets ripped a ton and deservedely so in the past, but Dallas has a heck of a defense now and some nice young talent in Dak and Zeke if the o-line can heal up they will be contenders)

Rams GM

Browns GM

There is six. Without really thinking about it.

But can you answer me what he has accomplished? If he is top 5 in your mind without accomplishing anything then it is a meaningless achievement to be in the top 5.

5 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Can you give me 5 current GMs you'd rather have?

You realize Beane could blow every draft over the next 5 years, and as long as he hits on Allen, we'll consider him good?  You know why?  Because the team will probably be good because they have a QB. 

I understand the excitement, but it seems prudent to hold off anointing him one of the best in the league at this point of his tenure.    

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't know most GM's by name so probably not but I can try.

Bill Belicheck

Sean Payton (think he is the GM)

Andy Reid ( i think all these coaches are also GM's or have final say)

Jerry Jones (guy gets ripped a ton and deservedely so in the past, but Dallas has a heck of a defense now and some nice young talent in Dak and Zeke if the o-line can heal up they will be contenders)

Rams GM

Browns GM

There is six. Without really thinking about it.

But can you answer me what he has accomplished? If he is top 5 in your mind without accomplishing anything then it is a meaningless achievement to be in the top 5.

I can see that you put your list together quickly without really thinking about it ?

Beane has come in a very short period of time helped build a functioning organization. Gone are the days of all the in fighting and power struggles. He's completely revamped the roster and solved our salary cap hell. In our tear down year he was still able put together a roster that won 6 games when most pundits were saying that we were tanking the season. He traded up and got us Josh Allen when he needed to. He got us a 3rd for Tyrod and a 5th for McCarron. We've already addressed our biggest need and done a complete overhaul on OL. We've bolstered our WR corp and special teams. I can add more but I don't like long posts

10 minutes ago, stony said:

You realize Beane could blow every draft over the next 5 years, and as long as he hits on Allen, we'll consider him good?  You know why?  Because the team will probably be good because they have a QB. 

I understand the excitement, but it seems prudent to hold off anointing him one of the best in the league at this point of his tenure.    

I haven't come out and said that he's top 5 but if there's a conversation about the top 5 GM happening then hell yeah Beane should be in that conversation.

10 hours ago, transient said:

Maybe so, but if the rumor mill is to be believed he wanted Hue Jackson over Rex... which at the time may have seemed reasonable... however in hindsight would have been one of the few coaching hires that could have been both more of a douche and a worse coach than Rex.

Yea but I believe he also was interested in Kyle Shanahan. The butterfly effect is always interesting. Rex's biggest issue was his unwillingness to be the coach and not control the D. I think had he kept and empowered Schwartz you would've seen a superb D that benefited from Rex's creativity while Schwartz would've handled the nuts and bolts that Rex did not like. Oh well fun times haha

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

I'm not giving him a mulligan for his time as GM from the post 2017 draft through the 2018 FA.

He definitely had some good size misses.  I'm sure he would admit that too.

During that time frame Beane is on record saying the #1 job of a GM is to secure a franchise QB.

He repeated that statement many times.

Almost no resources went into the non QB offense last year.

The majority went into securing Josh Allen as QB and the rest went into the future defensive QB.

I really believe if he had to spend even more picks/players/money to get JA he would of done that.

He got his QB and NOW he is building around him. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Kiko was a Nix pick.

Tre White didn't start out as good as Watkins? That is arguable. And Tre stayed healthy. And while yeah, Kiko (Thanks, Buddy!!) started strong, he was tailing off by the end of his first season and in no way can you put his first two seasons against Tre's, considering he missed his entire second year. They're not even slightly comparable. And Kiko was a Nix pick. Yeah, Whaley likely had a lot of influence, but no, he wasn't the GM. Same with the trade-down for Manuel bringing in Kiko. Yeah, it was a nice trade-down, but the important choice that year was drafting a QB - again, Nix pulled the trigger so he gets ultimate blame, but you're acting as if moving back and then picking Manuel was a great decision. 

I suppose some people were ga-ga over Whaley but "so many"? I wouldn't say that. It was nothing like a consensus. Not even close.

Even that early, two years in, his drafts looked weak:

Watkins

Kouandjio

Preston Brown

Ross Cockerel

Cyril Richardson

Randell Johnson

Seantrell Henderson

Darby

John Miller

Karlos Williams

Tony Steward

Nick O'Leary

Dezmin Lewis

There was already huge doubt about Kouandjio, Cockrell had been released before his second season. Miller was questionable. O'Leary was a JAG at best. Karlos Williams had eaten his way out of the league and nobody was calling him.

It looked like in two drafts he'd acquired a WR who looked pretty good when healthy but always seemed to be injured, a solid, smart but uninspiring MLB in Brown, a good CB in Darby ... and that looked like it in terms of real talent. 

In no way did Whaley's drafts look as good as this FO's two drafts. 

I was still hopeful with Whaley but it didn't look good.

And Whaley stepped into a situation which should have allowed him to look good quickly. He stepped into a reload. He was able to maintain a defense that was really good and had been built almost completely under Nix. The salary cap situation was solid. The new group on the other hand rebuilt, which makes it much harder to win early. Not to mention that their first two drafts already look a ton better than Whaley's first two did. And after his first two years we were already headed towards salary cap trouble thanks to his contracts on guys like Clay.

So EJ was a Whaley pick...........but Kiko was a Nix pick?

OKayyyyyyyyyy then.........so let me guess.......Tre White was a McDermott pick and Zay Jones was a Whaley pick, right?

Got it.:thumbsup:

The rest of your post is out of context............Karlos Williams had a TD record breaking rookie season and averaged 5.5 ypa............John Miller was considered an excellent pick on a dominant run blocking line...........Preston Brown was an off the bus starting MLB for a top defense as a rookie and lead the NFL in tackles in 2017.......Henderson was a highly regarded rookie starting OT prospect by the beginning of his rookie season and considered a steal...........Ross Cockerel was lamented here as he went on to start for a championship contending Pittsburgh team after the Bills cut him.    Cyrus even had a stretch where it looked like he was going to develop into a starting NFL OT!

Let's give McDermott and Beane's rookie classes some time.    They haven't had any award winners or record breakers or league leaders like Whaley's classes.............but there have also been those flashes that we hope will carry over just like we hoped Karlos would turn into a super RB and Kiko and Watkins would be all time great Bills etc..

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

How many points do you get for passing yards? 

The 2015 team was 12th in points per game

The 2016 team was 10th in points per game

You win games by scoring more points than your opponent.

I still maintain a little defense would have helped.

I'll also give Beane GM offensive cred when he can put together a WR corps like we had back then including Sammy, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin, and Harvin.

Just win baby.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been saying this to anyone on here who'll listen since last year. I think we struck gold with McD and Beane. Beane could be in the conversation depending how we finish , and expectations are high for me..

I feel they Share a specific blueprint and vision for long term success and he has really set this franchise on the right athletes and made it sustainable!

I just love the culture being built , it really feels like something special is brewing. They target very specific personality traits as well. Feel Beane and McD have a firm grasp on the team , and get the best out of them on the field.