Did we land a top 5 GM in Beane?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I feel like all this should have been said about Whaley after his 2nd year when we went 9-7 with the number 2 defense. 

If you can't tell why it's different THIS time, you just don't get it.

41 minutes ago, Success said:

A lot of cautious replies.  We’ve been so beaten down by hope over the years.

He’s done an incredible job so far.  The optimism is well founded.  He’s the perfect GM for this time - he is positioning the Bills well to have the opportunity to take over the division post-Brady.

Agreed he def is making the right steps to challenge and take over the division. Until I see that happen though Beaner will not get crowned by myself yet. Heck, even if we can't take the division at least give me back to back 10+ win seasons with some wild cards.  I will 100% be open for this conversation at that time. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:09 PM, Logic said:

Good post. And I won't agree that "incomplete" is the logical final grade. But with an "A" in all the major categories you explained, I'd say the grade is trending toward...well....an "A"!

It appears that he got an A on the midterm exam, but the final will be a lot tougher....

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

It appears that he got an A on the midterm exam, but the final will be a lot tougher....

...exactly the way it should be, right?.....with the draft and eventual final 53 ahead, we reach the point of "show me between the white lines" to reach his final 2019 grade....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The reason we got rid of Taylor hes he couldnt get the job done when it mattered most.

And Nathan Peterman could get the job done AT ALL????  A team that is interested in winning football games does NOT trade away their starting QB with nobody on the roster except an uninspiring option as Peterman was  and then dithers through much of the FA period before finally signing a FA QB who was a marginally decent backup QB with very little actually PT.  You  can spin it however you want to, but the timeline and the quality of the supposed "veteran" QBs the Bills had are facts.  You can also add to the evidence of Beane being either incompetent in handling QBs or disinterested in putting a competitive team on the field that the Bills waited a month during the regular season before they bothered to add another backup QB after they traded McCarron -- and the guy they pulled off the golf course played in all of 2 games before being injured.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

How can you be so obtuse? So Tier's list is just crazy wrong as are you. 6 wins while you make the kinds of moves that Beane made is impressive. There is a definite plan in place to restore this franchise's reputation from what it's been for almost 2 decades. If you can't see it (or don't want to see it) then so be it. I'm sure when we are winning the division and competing for a SB you'll be one of the many claiming to have been on board the whole time. 

My list is "just crazy wrong" only in the minds of Bills apologists and cheerleaders like yourself.   If by "the kinds of moves that Beane made" you mean trading away Taylor and Glenn, trading for Benjamin and Matthews and signing Bodine, Murphy, McCarron, and Anderson, then yeah, 6 wins is "impressive".  However, those "kinds of moves" are more fitting for a bottom 5 GM than a top 5 GM but carry on with your silliness.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

My list is "just crazy wrong" only in the minds of Bills apologists and cheerleaders like yourself.   If by "the kinds of moves that Beane made" you mean trading away Taylor and Glenn, trading for Benjamin and Matthews and signing Bodine, Murphy, McCarron, and Anderson, then yeah, 6 wins is "impressive".  However, those "kinds of moves" are more fitting for a bottom 5 GM than a top 5 GM but carry on with your silliness.

...totally shocking and out of posting character that you would weigh in with such a negative diatribe....hell I'd bet Dr Ruth could help out immensely with those "painful loins"...SMH....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....it's a BLESSING...........

Nope. Having the best receiver (or at least top 3) on what is essentially a 2 year deal when we have plenty of cap space this year and next would have been nice. Would have left no excuses for Allen. 

There is no aspect of the AB deal that is a negative. 

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...totally shocking and out of posting character that you would weigh in with such a negative diatribe....hell I'd bet Dr Ruth could help out immensely with those "painful loins"...SMH....

You didn’t counter anything he said. Just pointed out that it’s negative. 

Just now, Chemical said:

Nope. Having the best receiver (or at least top 3) on what is essentially a 2 year deal when we have plenty of cap space this year and next would have been nice. Would have left no excuses for Allen. 

...respectfully, we agree to disagree... despite the obvious talent and the diva Big Ben being the perpetrator of Steeler turmoil, I don't want AB on the team....

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, Virgil said:

Remember when we thought we had our QB in Fitz and rewarded him early?

So long as we are the Bills, I can't declare anyone a success until I see it on the field at the end of the season.

BBFS for life!

I remember when the Bills did it... I knew better though so I am not part of "we." I know others are in the same boat.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoTier said:

And Nathan Peterman could get the job done AT ALL????  A team that is interested in winning football games does NOT trade away their starting QB with nobody on the roster except an uninspiring option as Peterman was  and then dithers through much of the FA period before finally signing a FA QB who was a marginally decent backup QB with very little actually PT.  You  can spin it however you want to, but the timeline and the quality of the supposed "veteran" QBs the Bills had are facts.  You can also add to the evidence of Beane being either incompetent in handling QBs or disinterested in putting a competitive team on the field that the Bills waited a month during the regular season before they bothered to add another backup QB after they traded McCarron -- and the guy they pulled off the golf course played in all of 2 games before being injured.

They probably wanted out of QB purgatory.  So far it looks like they made the right choices.  What QB did you want the to draft?

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I remember when the Bills did it... I knew better though so I am not part of "we." I know others are in the same boat.

“We” are the Bills.  We are their decisions. You couldn’t be a Bills fan and say you weren’t giving him the contract.  It was done 

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

“We” are the Bills.  We are their decisions. You couldn’t be a Bills fan and say you weren’t giving him the contract.  It was done 

Yes you can...

If the president does something stupid doesnt mean the American people did the same.

19 hours ago, Chemical said:

Weird. Well don’t want to hear lack of weapons for an excuse for Allen from you then. 

...yup...AB is the ONLY weapon on the planet.......an astute observation.....SMH....

19 hours ago, Chemical said:

You didn’t counter anything he said. Just pointed out that it’s negative. 

...oh joy...YOU again.......IGNORE is a beautiful thing....try it......PLEASE.....

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...AB is the ONLY weapon on the planet.......an astute observation.....SMH....

Antonio Brown has more td catches last season than Buffalo had passing TDS. Adding him makes it impossible for anyone to make excuses if Allen can’t produce. Right now it’s very possible I’m hearing excuses next offseason. Brown/Beasley have a combined 1 1,000 yard season. 

I never said he’s the only weapon on the planet but thanks for putting words into my mouth. I’m only trying to give Beane credit for trading for the best player at our biggest need position. Beane didn’t back out Brown did. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, Chemical said:

Stop with this. AB didn't want to come here it's a FACT.

Keep telling yourself AB wasn’t going to the highest bidder, buffalo included. 

His scorn ore might be 100% to do with buffalo passing with a ‘not worth it’ vote. 

So your “fact” is at best an out of context inference ... unless you were in the middle of discussions 

On 4/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I feel like all this should have been said about Whaley after his 2nd year when we went 9-7 with the number 2 defense. 

I hear you. Whaley was also the architect of the playoff roster. 

How would folks feel about him if he wanted mahommes and mcderm overrode him as a dead man walking and the new defacto ‘decider’ 

Doug found good players- and wasn’t helped with multiple schematic overhauls. 

I see Beane as even better, but I’m not sure Doug was ever the biggest problem.

BTW - his cap hell moves were out of an arrogant  assumption the team was close and going for flashy talent without a concept of team chemistry 

25 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Antonio Brown has more td catches last season than Buffalo had passing TDS. Adding him makes it impossible for anyone to make excuses if Allen can’t produce. Right now it’s very possible I’m hearing excuses next offseason. Brown/Beasley have a combined 1 1,000 yard season. 

I never said he’s the only weapon on the planet but thanks for putting words into my mouth. I’m only trying to give Beane credit for trading for the best player at our biggest need position. Beane didn’t back out Brown did. 

...where the hell did I EVER say it was McBeane?....secondly, McBeane & McDermott are "in the know", not me....at the same time, I offered by lowly opinion of the move "from the posting bowels of the TBD basement" with humility and looking up at those here far more astute...my apology........

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...respectfully, we agree to disagree... despite the obvious talent and the diva Big Ben being the perpetrator of Steeler turmoil, I don't want AB on the team....

Ya know even if Ben was the perpetrator, he got all pissy because juju got team MVP...   

Josh doesn’t need to navigate that nonsense. 

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ya know even if Ben was the perpetrator, he got all pissy because juju got team MVP...   

Josh doesn’t need to navigate that nonsense. 

...1000% spot on.......humble and respectful of the game.....I'd bet even if he becomes HIGHLY successful, that will NEVER change...just a hunch......

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, billsfan_34 said:

Salary cap hell and moving up for Watkins is a good definition of a mess.

This "salary cap hell" narrative just isn't true. The only player they had to let walk was Gilmore. They could have easily kept everyone else.

They made the decision to gut the roster and purge players they didn't see as good fits. That's fine. Time will tell whether or not they can properly rebuild the roster they deconstructed.

Beane has done some good things and some bad things. He does seem to have an overall plan, which is great if it works out.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...oh joy...YOU again.......IGNORE is a beautiful thing....try it......PLEASE.....

Maybe YOU should take your own advice and put those posters with whom you constantly disagree with on ignore instead of continually insulting them.

19 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They probably wanted out of QB purgatory.  So far it looks like they made the right choices.  What QB did you want the to draft?

Deshaun Watson.

I love the Tredavian Nightmare and all,  but he ain't a Pro Bowl QB after 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This "salary cap hell" narrative just isn't true. The only player they had to let walk was Gilmore. They could have easily kept everyone else.

They made the decision to gut the roster and purge players they didn't see as good fits. That's fine. Time will tell whether or not they can properly rebuild the roster they deconstructed.

Beane has done some good things and some bad things. He does seem to have an overall plan, which is great if it works out.

Dareus’s contract comes to mind

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Deshaun Watson.

I love the Tredavian Nightmare and all,  but he ain't a Pro Bowl QB after 2 years.

I think Josh Allen was the target even when they traded that pick.  Having QB classes like that, back to back is amazing.  But they knew it already.

I liked Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson as well.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think Josh Allen was the target even when they traded that pick.  Having QB classes like that, back to back is amazing.  But they knew it already.

I liked Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson as well.

That's simply nonsense.  Beane wasn't the GM in 2017 -- and he was working for the Carolina Panthers.  McDermott was a defensive coordinator about 3 months into his first HC job.   Brandon's track record on finding talent in the first round was Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Marshawn Lynch, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Maybin, and Eric Wood.  Do you really think Terry Pegula is a NFL personnel guru???  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Until at least the end of 2019 we won't know. Looks good on paper doesn't cut it. Remember the "dream team"? A big leap (No pun intended) out of Allen and Edmunds would be a big help. Neither of them impressed me in year 1. We are full of average players where last year we were starting backup caliber guys. Now we need the game changers --  guys like AB, JJ Watt, Brady. This coming draft is still make or break and our D needs help a LOT more than I think many people realize.

15 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Dareus’s contract comes to mind

I was so pumped when Denver passed on Darius to draft Von Miller instead. Looks like Elway had it right all along. Dareus is easily my biggest dissapointment in recent years and not because he's a just above average DT but because he could have been a HOF'er if he wanted to be and he threw it away. I'm glad he's blowing up someone else's cap now. So sad.

47 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's simply nonsense.  Beane wasn't the GM in 2017 -- and he was working for the Carolina Panthers.  McDermott was a defensive coordinator about 3 months into his first HC job.   Brandon's track record on finding talent in the first round was Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Marshawn Lynch, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Maybin, and Eric Wood.  Do you really think Terry Pegula is a NFL personnel guru???  

Yet another poster crediting Beane and McDermott for Whaley's last draft. Truly amazing.

21 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe YOU should take your own advice and put those posters with whom you constantly disagree with on ignore instead of continually insulting them.

...let me ruminate a bit...FWIW,  I do have MYSELF on IGNORE......works great............

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Yet another poster crediting Beane and McDermott for Whaley's last draft. Truly amazing.

I wasn't crediting Beane and/or McDermott for the 2017 draft.  One wasn't here and the other had way too much on his plate to be looking at players who weren't even in the draft, which is what the poster I referenced claimed the Bills had done (targeting Allen in 2017).  In my view, Brandon probably ran the 2017 with some input from McDermott because by then Whaley was out (he was fired the day after the draft IIRC), although he seems to have run FA.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

I think McDermott wanted Allen.  I also believe Beane coming here was predetermined when Pegs hired McD.  Allen was talked about more before the year he came out for the draft.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...let me ruminate a bit...FWIW,  I do have MYSELF on IGNORE......works great............

There are 3 posters right now that Im trying not to put on ignore.  Sometimes they are right on about things, but other times I just cant figure out if they are knowledgable adults or middle school trolls.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

(sigh)...Gregg, please tell me you don't believe Whaley was running that draft.  It's just about the most naive thing ever.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

There are 3 posters right now that Im trying not to put on ignore.  Sometimes they are right on about things, but other times I just cant figure out if they are knowledgable adults or middle school trolls.

...so am I #1, 2 or 3?...just askin'.............

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I was so pumped when Denver passed on Darius to draft Von Miller instead. Looks like Elway had it right all along. Dareus is easily my biggest dissapointment in recent years and not because he's a just above average DT but because he could have been a HOF'er if he wanted to be and he threw it away. I'm glad he's blowing up someone else's cap now. So sad.

So many forget the Whaley blunders. IMO his biggest mistake was not standing up to Russ Brandon and telling him to stay away from the football side of the house.

15 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

So many forget the Whaley blunders. IMO his biggest mistake was not standing up to Russ Brandon and telling him to stay away from the football side of the house.

Whaley didn't run the 2017 draft.  Brandon, likely with help from McDermott or just McDermott ran it since Whaley was already shut out of the decision making.  He was fired the day after the draft, probably on orders from Pegula.  Ralph Wilson was attributed to have said something like Brandon was "like his son".  From 2006, he pretty much had free rein in running the team, and as Wilson's health deteriorated after 2010, Brandon operated as defacto owner until Pegula purchased the team in October 2013.   How, in the light of Wilson's support and Brandon's power within the organization, was Whaley supposed to tell Brandon to "stay out of the football side of the house"?   How long do you think you'd last in your job if you trotted up to the CEO of your employer and told him to keep his nose out of running the business?