Was Ryan Groy released?

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Remember when the Rams tried to sign him to an offer sheet, but the Bills matched and kept him?

Now he's just sitting out there without a job.

I wonder what the heck happened.

...if (uh oh) I remember correctly, when he was signed, much was made about his G/C versatility and I think he did well filling in for Wood......how or why did he go from the penthouse to the outhouse bud?...what did I miss?.......

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Remember when the Rams tried to sign him to an offer sheet, but the Bills matched and kept him?

Now he's just sitting out there without a job.

I wonder what the heck happened.

He didn't perform well enough?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if (uh oh) I remember correctly, when he was signed, much was made about his G/C versatility and I think he did well filling in for Wood......how or why did he go from the penthouse to the outhouse bud?...what did I miss?.......

You missed that his penthouse was a modest apartment in a transitional neighborhood

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Like most of the Bills free agents he has not signed yet. Speaks to the poor roster development that has taken place here when you have no desirable free agents. 

OR, they had a bad OL last year, knew they would, and dont want them back?

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Did you miss last season?   That was his chance to show he is a true NFL starter.  He is not.  He played poorly at both C and OG.    At best he is a back up C/G.  It’s time for both parties to move on.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Playing next to crazy Incognito hid his awfulness.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, fansince88 said:

OR, they had a bad OL last year, knew they would, and dont want them back?

That’s fine but my point is this teams roster building has been so poor that many of their free agents are sub nfl caliber talent. No matter how you spin it that speaks how bad they’ve been at drafting/developing/and evaluating pro personnel.

Just now, Jpsredemption said:

That’s fine but my point is this teams roster building has been so poor that many of their free agents are sub nfl caliber talent. No matter how you spin it that speaks how bad they’ve been at drafting/developing/and evaluating pro personnel.

They? They have drafted well if you talk about the "they" that are running the team now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Conlan93 said:

Never developed into the IOL we thought he would when we gave him that 2 years extension on to the next

No one on the OL developed under Juan Castillo.  Bills are making a mistake making any judgments based on anything over the last two seasons - hopefully they are smarter than that.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I think the new guys are doing pretty well at drafting/developing/ and evaluating.  They let Mills, Miller, and Groy walk.  They signed Long, Morse, Feliciano, and Nysecke.  Plus they drafted Dawkins and Teller and they have 10 picks.  Let's see how they do.

• Like (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

He didn't perform well enough?

Clearly.

The question is how did he go from being so good on the field that another team tried to steal him away to being so bad that he was benched and didn't get re-signed?

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

Clearly.

The question is how did he go from being so good on the field that another team tried to steal him away to being so bad that he was benched and didn't get re-signed?

Remember that 2 years ago Aaron Kromer had just taken the OL job in LA.

It’s quite common for a new OL coach (or any coach, really) to try and bring some of their guys with them to help teach the new guys his philosophies/scheme/technique etc. (see Vlad Ducasse...lol) So that could’ve had something to do with LA’s interest.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Did you miss last season?   That was his chance to show he is a true NFL starter.  He is not.  He played poorly at both C and OG.    At best he is a back up C/G.  It’s time for both parties to move on.  

...last season is exactly what I am referring to......the wheels fell off....

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Playing next to crazy Incognito hid his awfulness.

...good point......Richie had his moments, but hard to deny his ability and making those around him better.............loved watching his classic pulls.......and EVERY holding call was bogus...he just happened to "temporarily detain" the opposition.......

29 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

.....that he sucked.

...last year?..absolutely....his first year here?...not so IMO..........

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...last season is exactly what I am referring to......the wheels fell off....

...good point......Richie had his moments, but hard to deny his ability and making those around him better.............loved watching his classic pulls.......and EVERY holding call was bogus...he just happened to "temporarily detain" the opposition.......

...last year?..absolutely....his first year here?...not so IMO..........

I never bought in on how great his play was.  Before last year he had a total of 8 starts in 3 years with the Bills.

IMO the only wheels that fell off last year was his training wheels.

I questioned the OL in a thread I started last year and was resoundingly told that Groy, Miller and McDermott would be solid starters.

I'm much happier with the OL roster this year and I'm sure it's not complete yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Like most of the Bills free agents he has not signed yet. Speaks to the poor roster development that has taken place here when you have no desirable free agents. 

Mostly speaks to several other facts ... the fact that free agency is far from over, and the fact that we were rebuilding and had salary cap problems the last two years and thus didn't have the money to bring in better FAs. Rebuilding teams generally drop their more expensive FAs early, as we did, and we didn't have the money to replace them till this year.

Not to mention that this is what free agency looks like.

For example, you know who won the Super Bowl last year, right? The Patriots? Would you say they had "poor roster development"?

'Cause outside of the FAs they re-signed, they lost 18 and 11 are still not on rosters, though one of those is Gronk. The Bills are not unsimilar, having lost 11 and 8 are still not on rosters, though one of those eight is Kyle Williams, and another is Vontae Davis, and yet another is Ivory, who was only released yesterday.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/buffalo-bills/

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

There was a play last season where Groy was pushed back and fell on his butt as he was completely overpowered!  Beginning of the end for him and you know McD knew an upgrade was needed which is why Bodine started playing in his place but he didn't get the job done as we needed as well which is why we now have 2 new Centers. 

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1