John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

You’re in luck.  I happen to control where Bosa gets drafted.  Step into my van

“And I have to see the candy BEFORE I step into the van. I’m not stupid!”

34 minutes ago, eball said:

I just want the Bills to have a Josh Allen on the field for every play except special teams. 

Name me one team ever that ever lost anything that had two Josh Allens. You can’t. Because it never happened. 

• Haha (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

Meh. They literally let a picture of their QB board from last year get onto Twitter. Ben Albright knew for like 4 months that the Bills were all in on Allen. They're not infallible.

I missed this!

For anyone interested according to the picture rankings were:

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Rosen

Also had a notation of 12, 22, and 53 to denver for #5 and a mark after mayfield that said 5-9 most likely that they would draft those 3 at any of those spots.

Pretty interesting tidbit that i missed thanks for mentioning it!

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

I missed this!

For anyone interested according to the picture rankings were:

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Rosen

Also had a notation of 12, 22, and 53 to denver for #5 and a mark after mayfield that said 5-9 most likely that they would draft those 3 at any of those spots.

Pretty interesting tidbit that i missed thanks for mentioning it!

I actually missed out on it last offseason, as well. I didn't learn that it had happened until THIS offseason.

I'm so glad I saw it, though, because it put my curiosity on this issue to bed: Namely, I strongly suspected that Darnold was #1 on the Bills board and they had to "settle" for Josh Allen. Instead, I now know that he was their #1 choice all along. I like knowing that in the famed "Great QB Draft of 2018", the Bills got the player they had ranked 1st all along.

Interesting how most people are taking this tweet and running with the assumption that the trade up is with our 1st pick. Could be they stay at 9 and trade up afterwards. And perhaps Wawrow is enjoying himself watching everyone salivate.

Also I thought I was crazy suggesting Bosa doesn't go 1st...

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

“And I have to see the candy BEFORE I step into the van. I’m not stupid!”

Name me one team ever that ever lost anything that had two Josh Allens. You can’t. Because it never happened. 

I'll do it before I see the candy... That's how dedicated I am:sick:

I thought about this weeks ago. With 10 picks, and a good depth roster, it wouldn't surprise me if we moved up. There is only one ( maybe two)player(s) I'd move up for in this draft..Quinnen Williams. Id make a trade right now with SF or the Jests, and listen to critics for the next 10 years. Other than that, maybe a few spots for Ed Oliver. But I'd damn near sell this year's draft for Q Will.  I'd give up this years 2nd,4th, and 5th. Maybe more. He's that beastly. I look forward to watching that kid play wherever he ends up

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I thought about this weeks ago. With 10 picks, and a good depth roster, it wouldn't surprise me if we moved up. There is only one ( maybe two)player(s) I'd move up for in this draft..Quinnen Williams. Id make a trade right now with SF or the Jests, and listen to critics for the next 10 years. Other than that, maybe a few spots for Ed Oliver. But I'd damn near sell this year's draft for Q Will.  I'd give up this years 2nd,4th, and 5th. Maybe more. He's that beastly. I look forward to watching that kid play wherever he ends up

Really? THAT sold on Quinnen Williams? Interesting.

Just now, BuffAlone said:

The more I see...yes. 

I have a hard time comparing Q Will to ANYBODY...ever. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I absolutely believe Ed Oliver is their guy. And if they have to move up a few spots to get him they will. 

A few spots..if it falls that way, by all means, get your guy. Id be thrilled by that move

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Word on the street (i.e., albert breer) is that some teams have oliver pegged significantly higher than the conventional mock draft wisdom.

Oliver is without a single shadow of a doubt one of the two best players in this draft. Honestly any team that passes on this kid because he wore a jacket is going to look damn stupid. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I absolutely believe Ed Oliver is their guy. And if they have to move up a few spots to get him they will. 

I feel the EXACT same way. That can’t even contain their love for him at this point. McDermott almost got trucked trying to tell Ed O how much he loves him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I feel the EXACT same way. That can’t even contain their love for him at this point. McDermott almost got trucked trying to tell Ed O how much he loves him.

Out of curiosity, other than the clip of McDermott at the pro day, what else have they done to show their overwhelming interest in Oliver? 

I'm a huge Oliver fan, and want him the most in the first, so I'm just asking seriously.

I don't think Oliver will go top 5. He should. But he won't because NFL teams over think this stuff. Put the tape on. Ed Oliver stands out. He is an elite prospect. I think if he gets past #5 the Bills trading up is in play from that point on. #6, #7 or #8 all in play. 

• Like (+1) 2

Big shout out to @Cripple Creek who had this story before anyone else. I respect @john wawrow and all he does but this is old news. @Cripple Creek has certain sources that, let’s just say, are closely related to OBD. Maybe it would make sense to use the search function before posting this type of redundant material. No offense @john wawrow   

As a matter of principle, I despise trading up in drafts.  Hitting on 2nd, 3rd, 4the and 5th round picks is like gold.  To surrender the opportunity to draft those players to get the guy you "HAVE" to have is bad business.

Quinnen Williams perhaps being the guy of he gets past 3.  

21 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Out of curiosity, other than the clip of McDermott at the pro day, what else have they done to show their overwhelming interest in Oliver? 

I'm a huge Oliver fan, and want him the most in the first, so I'm just asking seriously.

They have been ALL OVER him in the pre-draft process. That was the 1st guy that we heard about a visit with. He blew the doors off on his pro day and one day later we are hearing rumblings of trading up. He plays the last starting spot still open. He plays it in the exact manner that they want someone to play that position. The dots are easy to connect. They are in love.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I worry that Eddie has bust potential

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like someone else pointed out...JW did NOT specifically say this involved the pick at 9...just that there is a better chance of us moving than down.  That could easily mean we stay put at 9 but then be aggressive to move back up into the first to get another premium pick too.

Hmmmm...lots to think about here.  

I’ve said this for a couple weeks. Grab our d linemen at 9 and then snag a tight end/wr/tackle in the late first 

I wouldn't be surprised.  Imo in this draft they are looking for quality over quantity.  I could see them trading and possibly adding a veteran.  Clowney or Lawerance I could see.  Swap 1st and a conditional pick.  Be in the perfect position to add  skill position player.  Te or wr make way more sense in the 20s than at 9.

Edited by Mat68

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Oliver will go top 5. He should. But he won't because NFL teams over think this stuff. Put the tape on. Ed Oliver stands out. He is an elite prospect. I think if he gets past #5 the Bills trading up is in play from that point on. #6, #7 or #8 all in play. 

So you think Beane works out a deal with his old pal Gettleman and gets to 6 for Eddie O?

Giants drop to 9 and take Lock?

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

The very obvious question is simple:  Was your tweet of what you are hearing from some sources...or is this tweet reflective of just your opinion on what you think is more likely?

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to do that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

I feel like Beane could stay at 9 then trade up from #40 to get back into the first or even just earlier in the 2nd to grab a guy he covets...maybe that could be Fant, AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Simmons, etc.  Then he is getting at least 2 impact rookies.  If we trade up from 9, I cant imagine doing that with out at least including our 2nd and could cost us more picks than that depending how high we went.  This is such a deep draft in rounds 2 and 3, so I have been pretty skeptical we would go up from 9.

My opinion has been we would trade down to get an extra 2nd then move back up into the first to get another player.  And maybe move up again at some point to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But all that being said, the one thing I know is that Beane is not afraid to go get a player he wants, so wouldn't surprise me that much if we went up from 9.   

THIS is one of the things that made/makes this place awesome. This place was once full of stuff like this prior to topics letting us know the color socks they were wearing today. JW is one of the few gems that still grace us with his info/presence. Good stuff

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1