John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

1 minute ago, nucci said:

surrendering assets...we have 10 draft picks...we need top end talent on this team...you probably would have had a stroke when Polian traded for Bennett

Trading for Bennett was completely different.  That roster did not have numerous holes.  We've filled some, but not all holes in FA.  I did blow a gasket at the "high end talent" Watkins trade.  I'm also not in love with the trades up for both Allen and Johnson last year.  Neither has proven their worth yet.  They may, and we'll never know what we would truly look like if we stayed put, but there are many metrics that indicate the price of trading up outweighs the act.  Many of the teams who consistently move up are bottom dwellers.  Many who move down are regularly competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Verrrrry interesting. In one of the comments below, someone asks him if thats just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. Take that for what you will...

This regime doesn’t let info like that leak. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Verrrrry interesting. In one of the comments below, someone asks him if thats just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. Take that for what you will...

I wouldn’t put too much stock in his comments considering it’s all speculation.  Yes he is well connected and credible, but he’s not sourcing anything here, just making an educated guess.

• Like (+1) 1

Ten picks won't make this roster.  Bills have enough roster fillers, they need another difference maker or two on defense that can improve pressure (either a 3 technique inside or an edge rusher or both) and on offense (TE to open the seam).  I'd be fine pulling a "Ditka" to leverage and trade the existing 10 picks for something higher than 9, another first in the 20's and a high second...I know I am crazy...and it may not be doable.

Edited by JoeF

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Who would they trade up for?  Oliver?

NFL mocked them trading down with the phins and getting him at 12. 

Sorry, 13.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024599/article/fourround-2019-nfl-mock-draft-raiders-fins-trade-up-for-qbs

Edited by CircleTheWagons99

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks better chance of moving down in round one (from 9) and better chance of moving up in rounds two through seven, even moving back up into end of round one after the initial move down. 

Oliver at 9, then back into the bottom of the 1st for Hock.  Then, you've got four first rounders from the past two drafts forming your core -- two on O and two on D.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

It would not surprise me. They stocked up on later draft picks and filled holes in free agency. They gave themselves flexibility to move around. Although I would be surprised if we trade up in the 1st. Moving up from our 2nd round pick I could definitely see.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sounds like the Bills have some offers for 9 in place but want better value

This is speculating they want to move up and get someone, like Whaley did with Watkins  

6 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Trading for Bennett was completely different.  That roster did not have numerous holes.  We've filled some, but not all holes in FA.  I did blow a gasket at the "high end talent" Watkins trade.  I'm also not in love with the trades up for both Allen and Johnson last year.  Neither has proven their worth yet.  They may, and we'll never know what we would truly look like if we stayed put, but there are many metrics that indicate the price of trading up outweighs the act.  Many of the teams who consistently move up are bottom dwellers.  Many who move down are regularly competitive.

That roster was coming off a 4-12 record in '86 and was on its way to a 7-8 record in '87. That roster had plenty of holes and Bennett helped plug a huge one. Acquiring Bennett immediately shifted the balance of power in the AFC East. If Beane sees a comparable impact player to be had higher up in the first round, he should make the move, "assets" be damned. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks better chance of moving down in round one (from 9) and better chance of moving up in rounds two through seven, even moving back up into end of round one after the initial move down. 

I'm not a big believer in the "10 draft picks can't make this team" line of thinking.....this ain't a 1990's Bills roster.....there will be plenty of opportunity for young players to beat out a lot of these tomato can UFA's.

And guys like Zay and Shaq might be on the move too.    And I mean.........I like Eddie Yarbrough......fine gentleman...... but he's not keeping me from drafting two defensive ends.

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, Logic said:
In one of the comments below, someone asks him if that's just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. 

I don't have any draft opinions either.   Other than to not listen to pre-draft comments about the draft...

Edited by Lurker

Not saying it's going to happen or not. And certainly don't have any idea of who the Bills might target to move up.

What I'm simply suggesting is Beane is more comfortable in going after a player he's targeting, than moving too far back and hoping a player he wants is still there.

And that very much applies to this year's draft.

Again, he could be very happy at staying at 9 and not moving based on his board and where the drop-off of talent begins.

This part is merely gut, as it wasn't discussed.

As someone noted, the Bills have 10 picks, and it would make sense to use some of those assets to work from a position of strength and landing better players or players the Bills have higher on their board.

They did that twice last year.

jw

• Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5