John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would be shocked if they moved up for Oliver.  There is a strong chance he would be there at 9 and Wilkins certainly will be there at 9, and Oliver isnt that much better of a prospect than Wilkins.  Simmons is better than both and can be had later too.  

Great example of why draft talk here and everywhere is worthless.   It amazes me that you think you know that Simmons is better than Oliver and Wilkins but that he will be drafted behind them.  That means that no GM drafting in the top 10 will figure what you know.   Man, those GMs are stupid!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

The very obvious question is simple:  Was your tweet of what you are hearing from some sources...or is this tweet reflective of just your opinion on what you think is more likely?

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to do that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

I feel like Beane could stay at 9 then trade up from #40 to get back into the first or even just earlier in the 2nd to grab a guy he covets...maybe that could be Fant, AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Simmons, etc.  Then he is getting at least 2 impact rookies.  If we trade up from 9, I cant imagine doing that with out at least including our 2nd and could cost us more picks than that depending how high we went.  This is such a deep draft in rounds 2 and 3, so I have been pretty skeptical we would go up from 9.

My opinion has been we would trade down to get an extra 2nd then move back up into the first to get another player.  And maybe move up again at some point to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But all that being said, the one thing I know is that Beane is not afraid to go get a player he wants, so wouldn't surprise me that much if we went up from 9.   

It would be hilarious if it wasn't him, especially seeing that he does come on here to talk about his tweets. It would be an outstanding troll job if it wasn't really him though

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

You've been posting here for >10 years. How do you not know that JW posts here and that's his handle? ?

• Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would be shocked if they moved up for Oliver.  There is a strong chance he would be there at 9 and Wilkins certainly will be there at 9, and Oliver isnt that much better of a prospect than Wilkins.  Simmons is better than both and can be had later too.  

Im guessing if Beane is willing to move up it will be to try and nab Quennin or Allen.  Either would be a sick addition.  

How bad would this board melt down if the Beane traded up to get DK?  LOL.  This board hates trade ups for WR's hehe

There has been quite a bit out there that the lions have an interest in him and they are at 8 I believe. I mean I wanted us to lose more last season because I want Bosa, but there is no way we end up with him. I suppose we could have 2 Josh Allen's 

18 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not saying it's going to happen or not. And certainly don't have any idea of who the Bills might target to move up.

What I'm simply suggesting is Beane is more comfortable in going after a player he's targeting, than moving too far back and hoping a player he wants is still there.

And that very much applies to this year's draft.

Again, he could be very happy at staying at 9 and not moving based on his board and where the drop-off of talent begins.

This part is merely gut, as it wasn't discussed.

As someone noted, the Bills have 10 picks, and it would make sense to use some of those assets to work from a position of strength and landing better players or players the Bills have higher on their board.

They did that twice last year.

jw

Yes, but I've thought that what's likely is that the Bills would do something like package a couple of later round picks, which is where their extra picks are, with maybe their third to move up for a second pick in the second.  

And I've also thought that Beane might be very willing to trade out of 9 with some team that's QB hungry, so that he could end up with two late first round picks.  

Bottom line, as we all know, is almost anything is possible.   Beane's certainly not afraid to make deals.   

2 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Bosa, Williams or Allen. Has to be one of these guys.

Oliver's athleticism cannot be overlooked, Beane and McD place a big priority on athleticism. and it won't break the bank to move up to 6 or 7. I wouldn't rule a move up from rd 2 either (which is what I expected all along)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Great example of why draft talk here and everywhere is worthless.   It amazes me that you think you know that Simmons is better than Oliver and Wilkins but that he will be drafted behind them.  That means that no GM drafting in the top 10 will figure what you know.   Man, those GMs are stupid!

Its amazing that you don't know Simmons was a projected top 5 pick and expected to go before both Oliver and Wilkins until he got hurt during this offseason and will now slide because of it.  

No one knows who will be the better player over their career...top 5 picks bust all the time.  All we know is how players are being graded, and even thats to a certain degree as teams do their own grading.  But Simmons was considered the best DT after Quennin before the injury.  And considering he punched a girl in high school on video and was still going to be a likely top 5 pick tells you just how good he is.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  I seriously doubt Beane would give up his first next year for anything.  It's contrary to his philosophy.   I think it's more likely that he'd move up 5 or fewer slots, just to get the guy he wants.  That's essentially what he did with Edmunds.  

Yup. I just have a hunch it's Oliver. The other's will cost a bit more to move up from; for Oliver you need to go to maybe 6 or 7. McD was right there all in Oliver's drill yesterday & he has unreal athleticism, which is what they talk about with both Allen & Edmunds. 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You've been posting here for >10 years. How do you not know that JW posts here and that's his handle? ?

Because I have never asked him :nana:

I have always assumed it was though, but I put the disclaimer to keep from being the fool who fell for it if it wasn't him HAHA

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rhode Island Red said:

What’s sick is how much fun this thread is (“juicy” from YOLO) during this parched news time...

We’re all gobbling up this “permutation of speculation “ like it’s edibles....

What else are we supposed to do, talk to our ladies?

F that

• Haha (+1) 3

The only scenario I see in a trade up is to screw the Jets from getting their love child.......... Allen.

A trade up to 2 with SF is about the only trade up to do.

If the QB's go high, there would be no reason to trade up, as someone will fall to the Bills.

Only the SF will work.