John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because I have never asked him :nana:

I have always assumed it was though, but I put the disclaimer to keep from being the fool who fell for it if it wasn't him HAHA

I love the honesty, haha.  You're one of my favorite posters to read.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The only scenario I see in a trade up is to screw the Jets from getting their love child.......... Allen.

A trade up to 2 with SF is about the only trade up to do.

If the QB's go high, there would be no reason to trade up, as someone will fall to the Bills.

Only the SF will work.

If you go to 2, you take Bosa. I will fall out of my chair if we go higher than 5....

So teams 1-8 what are their biggest needs and who is likely to slide back to fill such a need?

42 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

More have heard of him than you.  He is the AP reporter for Bills.

Can't imagine why I'm being insulted for not knowing the guy, but thanks for clarifying that.  Apparently I don't read sites he contributes to. 

What I have read indicates the cost of moving up, at the top of the draft in particular, does not usually result in a net gain.  I also believe there is enough evidence to support the idea that the draft is an inexact science, so putting more eggs in a single basket to get a particular guy instead of identifying multiple guys is statistically unsound.  Not every high pick is a stud and not every stud was a high pick.  That's all I'm saying.  I'd rather have multiple chances personally.

I'd love to go back over the last 10 drafts for example and see how many trade up guys paid off vs trade down players.  Julio was a hit and so far, so is Mahomes, but Watkins was a real miss.  I wonder how it all actually shook out.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

If you go to 2, you take Bosa. I will fall out of my chair if we go higher than 5....

So teams 1-8 what are their biggest needs and who is likely to slide back to fill such a need?

SF and the Jets are the two most likely teams to move back.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That is interesting. He doesn’t specify they move up from 9. I could see them trading up to get back into the first. 

very astute point !

and this would work for me depending on how the 1st round is unfolding

The Bills might see Allen as a better scheme fit.

And why have another Josh Allen on another NFL team when you can have both on the Bills. ?

Just now, thebandit27 said:

SF and the Jets are the two most likely teams to move back.

I don't know If the 49ers would pass on Bosa and would we really swing a trade with the Jets? I was thinking of a smaller move...hmmm

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks better chance of moving down in round one (from 9) and better chance of moving up in rounds two through seven, even moving back up into end of round one after the initial move down. 

this is my wish. but my opinions change daily

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills might see Allen as a better scheme fit.

And why have another Josh Allen on another NFL team when you can have both on the Bills. ?

We have seemingly run out of Williams's

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I 100% buy it. For one, JW is plugged in. For two, that’s been Beane’s MO. For three, the Bills roster is pretty full. They are looking for stars and not bodies.

JW or jw? We just signed bodies...

Edited by Reed83HOF

Think we go up that high? 

Depends.

If Murray goes 1 and Bosa 2, then you've got to watch the 3 hole.

If a QB hungry team moves up for Haskins, or the team that picks at 3 goes with Allen, then you could be in business at 4 for QW.

Best possible scenario (assuming Beane wants QW) is that the Jets take DK and Oakland goes for flash and takes R Gary.

I 100% buy it. For one, JW is plugged in. For two, that’s been Beane’s MO. For three, the Bills roster is pretty full. They are looking for stars and not bodies.

Absolutely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Depends.

If Murray goes 1 and Bosa 2, then you've got to watch the 3 hole.

If a QB hungry team moves up for Haskins, or the team that picks at 3 goes with Allen, then you could be in business at 4 for QW.

Best possible scenario (assuming Beane wants QW) is that the Jets take DK and Oakland goes for flash and takes R Gary.

The last time they moved up from 9 to 4 cost next years first and a third...

Should they pay that price again?

I just hope they don't believe they can only find a star by moving up.  I'm pretty certain there will be stars in multiple rounds.  Looking at the 2016 draft, there were pro bowlers in the first 5 rounds, so I'm hoping they do their homework and uncover the late gems, not just assume there's only one real gem at the top.

Like someone else pointed out...JW did NOT specifically say this involved the pick at 9...just that there is a better chance of us moving than down.  That could easily mean we stay put at 9 but then be aggressive to move back up into the first to get another premium pick too.

Hmmmm...lots to think about here.  

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't know If the 49ers would pass on Bosa and would we really swing a trade with the Jets? I was thinking of a smaller move...hmmm

I would think they try to get up to 2 for Bosa, if they can't, you get to five for Allen if he's there imo. 

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

There are more undergrads in this draft than any other draft in history, if we don't plan on drafting in the top 20, and we feel it is a generational blue chipper- yup

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Like someone else pointed out...JW did NOT specifically say this involved the pick at 9...just that there is a better chance of us moving than down.  That could easily mean we stay put at 9 but then be aggressive to move back up into the first to get another premium pick too.

Hmmmm...lots to think about here.  

Beane must be delighted with himself after his FA  work so far. heading into the draft he can do nearly anything they wish !!!

Lets hope the College Scouts are as good as i think they are : ) 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would I? No.

Should they? Only if they believe that the guy they're targeting is a future all pro.

49 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not saying it's going to happen or not. And certainly don't have any idea of who the Bills might target to move up.

What I'm simply suggesting is Beane is more comfortable in going after a player he's targeting, than moving too far back and hoping a player he wants is still there.

And that very much applies to this year's draft.

Again, he could be very happy at staying at 9 and not moving based on his board and where the drop-off of talent begins.

This part is merely gut, as it wasn't discussed.

As someone noted, the Bills have 10 picks, and it would make sense to use some of those assets to work from a position of strength and landing better players or players the Bills have higher on their board.

They did that twice last year.

jw

Yep, it seems to me that they’ve filled a lot of holes and have some depth, retained a ton of players. What they need more than anything isn’t quantity of more rookies (ie trade down for more picks) but an infusion of blue chip talent on the roster. With 10 picks and sitting at 9 overall they have the capital to target some elite guys high on their board. They have drafted some key pieces of their young core - CB, LT, QB, MLB. Now a DL, WR/TE... RB... G... get some young elite talent in those roles. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, familykwi said:

I just hope they don't believe they can only find a star by moving up.  I'm pretty certain there will be stars in multiple rounds.  Looking at the 2016 draft, there were pro bowlers in the first 5 rounds, so I'm hoping they do their homework and uncover the late gems, not just assume there's only one real gem at the top.

Everyone hopes to uncover late round gems. That goes with out saying. Percentages say that the top of the draft produces stars though.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would think they try to get up to 2 for Bosa, if they can't, you get to five for Allen if he's there imo. 

I guess we have to dig into how much SF wants Bosa (who I have wanted since last year and wanted us to suck this year for LOL). I still have a hard time imaging us shooting up that high, but it is possible. I was really thinking from 9 to like 6 or 7 is more likely, not so sure now

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Beane must be delighted with himself after his FA  work so far. heading into the draft he can do nearly anything they wish !!!

Lets hope the College Scouts are as good as i think they are : ) 

Yup, thats why Free Agency was such a big win for Beane.  With 10 draft picks too, he has the ability to anything 

There are more undergrads in this draft than any other draft in history, if we don't plan on drafting in the top 20, and we feel it is a generational blue chipper- yup

Well, I agree  that that will be the cost to make a move like that..

I don’t see Beane paying that price though..

I have been saying for a while now that I think he will move up from 40 back into the first round though.. that could be achieved for that extra 4th and 5th they have 

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I have been saying for a while now that I think he will move up from 40 back into the first round though.. that could be achieved for that extra 4th and 5th they have 

He seems to be a budget fuss pot  haha.
if he pulled a Whaley ? i would be surprised.

after the draft,  i expect he will have a properly balanced checkbook

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I agree with your last sentence as that has been my expectation, I have thought possibly up to 7ish when I saw the Lions linked to Oliver because that seemed easily done and even leaves us enough this draft to move back into RD1. To go up that high, we still have like $30 mil in cap space, plus like high $80s to low $90s next year...hmm...yeah it might be ok to give up next year's one, this year's 9 and a third to go up. The only other risk I can think of is - if Allen ends up sucking or gets really injured, you miss on next year's QBs, not likely though

14 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Can't imagine why I'm being insulted for not knowing the guy, but thanks for clarifying that.  Apparently I don't read sites he contributes to. 

What I have read indicates the cost of moving up, at the top of the draft in particular, does not usually result in a net gain.  I also believe there is enough evidence to support the idea that the draft is an inexact science, so putting more eggs in a single basket to get a particular guy instead of identifying multiple guys is statistically unsound.  Not every high pick is a stud and not every stud was a high pick.  That's all I'm saying.  I'd rather have multiple chances personally.

I'd love to go back over the last 10 drafts for example and see how many trade up guys paid off vs trade down players.  Julio was a hit and so far, so is Mahomes, but Watkins was a real miss.  I wonder how it all actually shook out.

apparently 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Would I? No.

Should they? Only if they believe that the guy they're targeting is a future all pro.

I’m sure Doug thought that about Watkins I guess..

I just can’t see Beane gambling away next years first..