Bills internal discussions about Trey Flowers - DE

MAJBobby

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Normally I agree that OBD has been air tight but Josina seems to get some real info 

I'm sure the Bills have had internal discussions about every free agent and more. This isn't exactly a scoop.

Edited by 4merper4mer

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont understand why we would get rid of Jerry.......book end DE's is a good thing?

He's 31, on the last year of his contract and is the 2nd highest paid, I guess we could absorb that contract for a year perhaps but the more likely scenario would be to cut Hughes since they signed Murphy to a fairly big FA deal.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Not a chance, you just signed a FA last season to come here and let him go, how would any FA want to come here after that? Just my opinion and was stated by Rodak also.

They will keep the best player imo. I don’t really get your point about just signing him last year. It’s all performance based. He will get any money that was guaranteed to him. All FAs know that. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Not a chance, you just signed a FA last season to come here and let him go, how would any FA want to come here after that? Just my opinion and was stated by Rodak also.

Well, Rodak is wrong.

Players LOVE being on the open market--it gives them a chance to pocket more guaranteed money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, Rodak is wrong.

Players LOVE being on the open market--it gives them a chance to pocket more guaranteed money.

You don'tr sign a FA and then release him the year after, if it's true that it's tougher to get FA to come here then I'd say cutting a FA after 1 season would make it even more difficult per me :) .

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He's 31, on the last year of his contract and is the 2nd highest paid, I guess we could absorb that contract for a year perhaps but the more likely scenario would be to cut Hughes since they signed Murphy to a fairly big FA deal.

Hughes is also a pressure-monster and the Bills have loads of cap room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You don'tr sign a FA and then release him the year after, if it's true that it's tougher to get FA to come here then I'd say cutting a FA after 1 season would make it even more difficult per me :) .

It really all depends upon the deal that the guy signed.

Even if it's technically a 3-year deal, it could be structured with so little guaranteed money that the player and his agent know they'll be back on the market quickly.

Murphy's deal is like that:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

Only $7.9M guaranteed, and over 50% of that came in the first year.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Not saying they have to but 18M per Flowers , 10.4 per Hughes and 8.4 per Murphy, that is a ton of money tied up there but Hughes does come off the books if not resigned the following year so who knows.

Murphy would obviously be the odd man out.  Assuming they don't approach him about a pay cut (which they should do anyway even if they don't sign anyone).

If the Bills were to sign Flowers,  either Murphy or Lawson would be out this year and the other one out the year after.  My guess is if Flowers is picked up, they'd keep Murphy around as a rotational guy and look to trade Shaq now while he still has some draft capital value.

I don't mind the player, but at that type of money I'd much rather see a huge investment in the OL. If we feel we need a pass rusher we can use pick #9 on it, there should be several good options available. 

45 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

You can say that about every high priced guy.  So now we are going to complain if they pay that price?

cry when they don’t sign anyone...

cry when they do cause it was too much money..

this is place is unbelievable sometimes 

OK, way to turn my post into a comparison against everyone else's opinions on this board.

cry when they don't sign anyone... Please show me where I did this

cry when they do cause it was too much money.. Again, please show where I did this

SMH... yes indeed this place can be unbelievable.....

1 hour ago, Magox said:

If the Bills were to sign Flowers,  either Murphy or Lawson would be out this year and the other one out the year after.  My guess is if Flowers is picked up, they'd keep Murphy around as a rotational guy and look to trade Shaq now while he still has some draft capital value.

I don't feel that moving on from any of them is necessary.    At least not until TC when you know who is healthy.   Murphy has a high ceiling.......if he gets his burst back he has a great narrow frame to get small in traffic as a rusher and the long arms to reach the football and force fumbles.   Lotulelei is kind of a bum whose next step could be off the cliff entirely and neither of the Phillips has strung together one good full season yet so having already cross trained Shaq to play some DT it makes sense to hold him unless the draft capital is right(which it won't be).

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't feel that moving on from any of them is necessary.    At least not until TC when you know who is healthy.   Murphy has a high ceiling.......if he gets his burst back he has a great narrow frame to get small in traffic as a rusher and the long arms to reach the football and force fumbles.   Lotulelei is kind of a bum whose next step could be off the cliff entirely and neither of the Phillips has strung together one good full season yet so having already cross trained Shaq to play some DT it makes sense to hold him unless the draft capital is right(which it won't be).

I see that side of it as well and I do agree that it would be likely that at least one of the players would remain for 2019.   But from observing Beane, if they were to land an upper tier DE like Flowers and having over $8M on the books for Murphy and having to shell out another $10.5M for Hughes and $10M for Shaq plus and possibly most importantly they would lose draft capital by not trading Shaq at this time, I think it's probably likely that Shaq goes.

On the other hand they may just would want to retain all 4 of them for this upcoming season and see if either Shaq or Murphy emerges from the level of play they have been playing.   Shaq is an ok player and has progressively gotten better and as you stated Murphy is intriguing with his long reach.   If he could stay healthy he could find his groove and put up a solid season.