4 year, $36 million extension for Quincy Enunwa

DCOrange

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a great bargain signing for the jets? 20 mill guarantee for a 4 year deal for a starting caliber receiver.. they saved themselves a ton of money getting him signed now. He may have two years of injuries but that guy makes plays when on the field. I think it was a great signing for them. If you guys are thinking that’s overpaying I hate to see the reactions come free agency time. 

It was fine. Bills fans would be celebrating had we signed this player to this deal. It is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

WRs are going to come from the draft. Get experienced O-Line in FA.

Thy could use some experience at the WR position group. A pace setter and mentor in terms or work habits, film study, etc.

Edited by vincec

11 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

WOW. $9 mil/yr for 38 rec and 449 yds with 1 TD going into week 17?!?! The Jets are morons. 

Again....read the wording...its worth a MAXIMUM of $36 million over 4 years...he could literally be getting $3 or $4 million a year and the rest is in incentives...we don't know because we dont have the full breakdown of the contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised at all.  The cap keeps going up.  Players will get paid more and comparing the salaries of an NFL player to a baseball or basketball player, they should.  E'Twaun Moore makes about the same per season in the NBA.  It's time the more dangerous sport of the three starts compensating their players better.  

Edited by Buffalo30

Some people really need to take a look at what's there in free agency this year. There are only a few guys I'd be interested in, guys like Moncrief, Humphries, or Tyrell Williams. All of them will sign deals in Enunwa's range (or better), and all of them will be in high demand as young, productive, up & coming players. The rest are either older players or guys who haven't done anything yet.  

There are no top 5 WRs in this year's draft. I know a lot of jet fans expect Macc to waive his magic wand and trade down to collect a second rounder (at least), but the likelihood is that they take their top 5 BAP (DT/Edge) and wait until the third round to take a WR - with needs, wants, desires at OL and RB and CB, too. 

I get that people in general don't like Enunwa's injury issues, but he's still a bird in the hand for the Jets. It's a good contract for him, but it's also market value. It's better for the team to enter the offseason with Q, Robby, and Herndon as the receiving corps floor and build from there than to try to put together a WR group without Enunwa. Speaking ofHerndon, in addition to those WRs above there are a couple young TEs I'd be interested in, too, in Jesse James and C.J. Uzomah. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It really isn't a surprise yet the same clueless fans here are in awe at the contract for a decent receiver when healthy.

Stats are the only thing that matters to some fans, especially with the fantasy football crowd.  

Edited by Buffalo30

Reinforces how bad our WRs are this year... 

Everyone complains about the Jets WRs, yet half this board is upset we didn’t get a chance at Enunwa and is hoping we can get Robbie Anderson...

How about no.   Give me Robert Foster and 2 WRs from the draft if this is what we’re looking at in FA.  

Id offer overpay contract to Golden Tate and Tyrell Williams.  After that, hard pass.  Throw money at OL/TE and the best Defensive player that’s available. 

And Whaley thought $8M was too much to pay Robert Woods.   He's twice the player that Enunwa is.

Basically this is saying we need to draft our WR's, the free agent market is already thin at receiver and stuff like this sets the bar so freakin high.

KC must be dying after shelling out crazy money to Sammy "they call me Mista Glass" Watkins when what they desperately need is a better front 7 player.

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

And Whaley thought $8M was too much to pay Robert Woods.   He's twice the player that Enunwa is.

Basically this is saying we need to draft our WR's, the free agent market is already thin at receiver and stuff like this sets the bar so freakin high.

KC must be dying after shelling out crazy money to Sammy "they call me Mista Glass" Watkins when what they desperately need is a better front 7 player.

Is that what he said or what is implied? 

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a great bargain signing for the jets? 20 mill guarantee for a 4 year deal for a starting caliber receiver.. they saved themselves a ton of money getting him signed now. He may have two years of injuries but that guy makes plays when on the field. I think it was a great signing for them. If you guys are thinking that’s overpaying I hate to see the reactions come free agency time. 

Enunwa is a stud. Makes some difficult catches, and is very physical as well. Chances are the Bills are going to pay more for a worse receiver.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

If only we'd gone ahead and invested a 3rd round pick in him like I said--instead the whole league passed on him.

Yeah you hit the head on that one.  I think he may be the most underrated player in football, not just the most underrated WR.  

20 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Enunwa is a stud. Makes some difficult catches, and is very physical as well. Chances are the Bills are going to pay more for a worse receiver.

He's a nice WR3, and a middling WR2. He's nowhere near stud territory--he's less productive than Zay Jones

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah you hit the head on that one.  I think he may be the most underrated player in football, not just the most underrated WR.  

How both he and Geronimo Allison slipped through the cracks in that draft I'll never understand.

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's a nice WR3, and a middling WR2. He's nowhere near stud territory--he's less productive than Zay Jones

How both he and Geronimo Allison slipped through the cracks in that draft I'll never understand.

Eager to hear your takes on the 2019 WRs and RBs.  

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agree on Enunwa.  As for Allison, he's done nothing to say he slipped through the cracks. 

23 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

That's an absurd amount of money for such limited production. 

Spotrac estimates his value at 4 years, $26.4M.  That seems reasonable to me based on his production and RFA status. According to them he’s getting overpaid by about $10M, which also seems about right to me. That’s all based on what I’m seeing stats-wise.  Can’t say I’ve really watched him play though. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/quincy-enunwa-14620/market-value/

Edited by BarleyNY

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I think Allison would've been well worth the 5th rounder I'd have spent on him

Or even the 6th rounder, since neither is still with the Bills.  Just saying that he's not exactly producing much.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:54 PM, whatdrought said:

This is good for us.

I didn’t want Enunwa, and it lessens the Jets impact on the WR market.

I am there with you...the guy is in the league for 4 years and starts putting his game together during his contact year. Not saying 2018 was a flash in the pan, but would not be the first time I have seen a pro player turn back into Joe-average after getting his $$

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am there with you...the guy is in the league for 4 years and starts putting his game together during his contact year. Not saying 2018 was a flash in the pan, but would not be the first time I have seen a pro player turn back into Joe-average after getting his $$

?? Enunwa was hurt almost the entire season this year. He has been literally limping through games. He demonstrated last year that he’s quite good when healthy. He’s a good player and the contract is very reasonable given that the Jets have ~$100 million in cap room next season.

12 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He has been playing on a bad leg most of this season. He is ten times the player Jones is. It’s not even really debatable who is better or who has more upside, actually.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

?? Enunwa was hurt almost the entire season this year. He has been literally limping through games. He demonstrated last year that he’s quite good when healthy. He’s a good player and the contract is very reasonable given that the Jets have ~$100 million in cap room next season.

I am fine with the Jets paying him, I just don't think he is all that productive - solid #2-3 but that could just be the turmoil that has been the Jets, although Josh McCown had a pretty good year last year...

He had a highlight reel catch against the Bills and White struggled with the size mismatch.

I feel there are a lot of draft WR and TE prospects that are in the Enunwa mold - big, tall, but with slightly better speed and can high point the ball just as well - I would rather the Bills grab one of those.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yes, his flash in the pan 2018 where he averaged 41 yards a game.

What a weird contract.

4 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yes, his flash in the pan 2018 where he averaged 41 yards a game.

What a weird contract.

I stand corrected...I had it in my head that he had a big game against the Bills, and I think it was just the shock that he was beating White - only had 22 yards that day on 3 rec. Went back through his production this year and meh.

I have no idea why they would lock him up for longer, but its the Jets on the verge of firing their HC so....

16 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If only we'd gone ahead and invested a 3rd round pick in him like I said--instead the whole league passed on him.

And I said too. How he ended up an UDFA is a mystery to me. I know he has had a couplenof behaviour incidentt while in the league.... was there anything of that nature when he was at Temple? Cos that is the only explanation that might make sense to me. 

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Or even the 6th rounder, since neither is still with the Bills.  Just saying that he's not exactly producing much.

As a 3rd year UDFA he was starting for the Green Bay Packers and had 303 yards and 2 TDs through 4 games before injury struck. He has been on IR since. Rodgers had built a rapport with him and he was in line for a big year. I actually had a 3rd on Anderson and a 4th on Allison and I'd have been absolutely comfortable with spending that on him. 

We picked Kolby Listenbee in the 6th. Yes. Really. 

53 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I stand corrected...I had it in my head that he had a big game against the Bills, and I think it was just the shock that he was beating White - only had 22 yards that day on 3 rec.

You are confusing Enunwa with Anderson. It was Anderson who had the big day vs the Bills and Tre White. Enunwa has beaten the Bills up badly once... it was the TNF week 2 a few years ago when Rex was still here. 

• Like (+1) 1