Nick mullens

Steptide

14 minutes ago, Tazor Face said:

When he fakes the handoff on play action and he turns around to pass and there's not 3 defenders in his face...that must be cool

to have coach that provides the tools and pieces needed for their players to succeed. Yea, must be.

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You two are on the same page. Tyrod was by no means a hall of Famer, but he was in the Alex Smith class in my opinion.

He found ways to win and make plays. He didnt throw for 300 yards, but he made plays with his legs. And I agree with criticisms that sometimes he relied on that too much. But at the end of the day, he won games, was every bit the competitor Allen is, and won games.

Everyone loves the hurdle Allen made.... But this regime and the people who bought in preach you need a QB who can make plays from the pocket. Allen has shown nothing from the pocket, and everyone goes crazy with the hurdle. It was a fun moment, that's cool. But tell me that if Tyrod did the same thing everyone would have went crazy? 

I see a trend in Bills fans and I don't like it. Tyrod gave everything to this team and they treated him like *****. Not giving him his money, constantly restructuring, not sure if he is starter or not, yanking him for Nate ***** Peterman.

And they drafted some big white kid who throws the ball far (always incomplete), but you know, it's Buffalo and it snows. He has big hands ( I think our GM with a background in communications said "he's got big hands" but whatever), and they drafted him to throw from the pocket.

All I've seen is one nice pass on a wheel route, him jump over a guy, and him tell the defense he's with them. It's all garbage. And I left that underlying for good reason because i don't want to get into it, but i think it exists. Watch Eric Reids comments. I'm really starting to be bothered by this team and fanbase.

They can go 0-16. I'm still a fan, but when I start to get a weird vibe, I'm out. And I might be, much to the happiness of many. People will lambast Tyrod and in the next sentence talk about how Peterman wasn't given a fair opportunity. Their is definitely some underlying stuff going on with this regime, coaching staff, and segments of this fanbase. 

You're turned around here.  You're seeing spies in the woods hiding behind the trees. 

Mcdermott is just a coach trying to win football games. Beane, in his role, is doing the same.  They could suck at it, last years success--however else it's viewed-- may well have been a fluke and McDermott never achieves even that modest level of success again. 

I liked Tyrod for the same reasons outlined above.  Hard worker, fun to watch at times, amazing escapability and clearly a guy who gave 100%.  That said, it was fairly easy to see his limitations and he simply did not offer what this coaching staff was looking for relative to what he was paid. That happens all the time in the NFL. If it's a mistake, and they ride with the wrong guy going forward, that happens as well and when you miss enough times, well, you generally end up on the street looking for work.  I'd think in spite of you concerns about the vibe of the team and its fans, the Tyrod experiment in Cleveland lasted about the same amount of time as a 7 year olds birthday party at Chuckie Cheese. 

I think some  fans fans rally around the hurdle for the same reason that fans rallied around some of Tyrod's amazing plays.  It's exciting, the kid is playing to win, and in a world where nearly half a 40 year work career can go by between playoff appearances, for some, it offered hope.  JA represents the future, in spite of whether or not he actually pans out as The future.  Tyrod He can throw the ball a country mile. He makes plays other guys cannot.  He'll die on that field for you. And in spite of the vibe you feel, he has a ton of fans saying he was a wasted pick.  That's the nature of fandom. 

Ah, just re-read your post and missed the big "white" kid part. I thought it was commentary on TT v. JA and the decision to keep Peterman.  You had me all in on that.  Man, what a sad way to look at a damn football game. 

11 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Someone needs to be fierd for not putting together a competent o line

Bills have never had a competent o-line

they just obtained players who overcame it like Juice and Kelly and Flutie  rolling out from the shotgun to save his life

There are a few things at work here.

Shanahan is an excellent offensive coach. The talent level around Mullens is pretty good. I wouldn't say amazing, but very good....and I feel like they stepped up their game a bit to make up for the green rookie. 

They have done a really excellent job of finding players that fit what Shanahan wants to do. On their pseudo re-build they have moved on from some pretty good players, players who did not fit what Shanahan wanted to do. Vance McDonald, Carlos Hyde, Torrey Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Trent Brown, Alex Boone. He and John Lynch have done a good job of finding players, both in free agency and the draft that fit what they want to do offensively. They went out and replaced those guys with players in free agency and the  draft. Shanahan has a system, the guys understand it, and they execute it. 

We haven't gotten there yet. I do not think the offensive personnel fits what Brian Daboll is trying to accomplish. To me, it's the players, not the coaching. We have mostly replaced our loses with in  house scrubs. Replacing Wood and Richie with in house scrubs like Groy and Vlad is dumb. Miller and Mills are backup players. I understand what they were trying to do with KB, but he doesn't seem to fit with Daboll. They did a great job of upgrading the defense with free agency and draft picks. White, Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Milano, Murphy etc etc. The offense has not been addressed because of the cap situation. I for one really like Josh Allen. If resources are devoted to upgrading the offense this off-season, I think we could see a huge jump next year. 

Last but not least, the Raiders are awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

They scored 28 points on the leagues best scoring defense.  While I agree they took their foot off the gas it took a lot more than Shannahan for that collapse. 

I agree and I was pointing to the fact that Shannahan kept throwing the ball. If he calls a run on the infamous sack play, the Falcons try a FG. Matt Bryant was very good in clutch kicks. 

Who knows what would of happened. It was more on the lines of a joke. 

Shannahan knows offense and he is very bright. He should grow into a good HC.

6 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Yes. 

McD's old school, tough guy "vision" has produced the worst offense in the modern era of professional football & many blowout losses. 

Then I'll ask you, too.

What's the plan? Who's the new GM? Who's the new HC, OC, DC? 

And I'm not talking about thinking you'll pull Cowher out of a studio seat. I mean, realistically, what is your plan other then "fire everyone"? 

Who?   

Never heard of him.  

Wasn’t Bethard the QB de jour a few weeks ago?

look up history of 1st time QB’s playing record.  (the trend has changed recently but it was a trend)

You should find that they won 7 of 10 times.   

No game film to study is to their benefit add them playing a crap team.   

Do the math.  

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I would try to build around the strengths and good young core of my team. Not tear it down in the name of ***** cliches like "the process". 

So to recap, you know you want to do something drastic like fire everyone, but after that, you have no idea what should be done, only that you don't want to do what you perceive to be the problem when you fired everyone.

Sounds like a plan.

Not let's advance this: if you fire everyone, and replace everyone by not doing what your predecessor did, you would argue that if the new group isn't winning in the first year and a half, you fire everyone and start again, correct? Or do we trust your process? 

Apparently it can't be both, so walk us through this. No success after 18 months, and we start again?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Raiders have checked out on Gruden. Nobody on that defense was even trying. Made Mullens appear a lot better than he actually is, I'm sure. Put him up against a real defense that's actually going to play and it'll be a different story.

Plus a couple games of tape for the opposing D's to scrutinize for tendencies and he'll come back down to earth in a hurry, at least most likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I have no idea. 

I can tell you I wouldn't have hired a head coach before a GM.

I wouldn't have traded or allowed a DC turned inexperienced GM/HC to trade one of my best playmakers on offense in Sammy Watkins, and good young players such as Darby, Dareus, or Glenn.

I would've cut Nathan Peterman a long time ago. 

I would try to build around the strengths and good young core of my team. Not tear it down in the name of ***** cliches like "the process". 

you're obviously in the wrong line of work.

maybe you should apply for GM?

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Raiders have checked out on Gruden. Nobody on that defense was even trying. Made Mullens appear a lot better than he actually is, I'm sure. Put him up against a real defense that's actually going to play and it'll be a different story.

he's much better than you'd expect from a 2-7 team...

7 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Nice try with the veiled accusations of racism on the part of the coaching staff and fan base. 

At least have the stones to come right out and say it. 

Eh... you forgot ownership. I don't want to fully accuse the coaching staff, really, it's just the HC if it.

I have no qualms about saying segments of the fanbase are racist. But you did, what most Bills fans do and lumped everyone together and used this as your identity.

So it hurts you. Someone else calls a Bills fan a racist, and I'd be like whatever. I know who I am. I think when it gets shown, you don't like it because the racists, they are always the ones who are sensitive to that.

So something about stones or whatnot. Such a B1LLZ MAFIA bro!!! Thing to say, go jump through a flaming table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Kid had a good game. Cant take that away from him

Agreed. And may he fully enjoy his well deserved success. From what was being said about him last night he seems to be a great kid, smart and highly motivated. And he may have a future In some capacity as a QB in this league. He may even develop into a legit starter. Or maybe not. We certainly haven't seen enuf to even begin to know. 

So let's not get ahead of ourselves. The physical and intangible qualities he put on display yesterday are hardly unique.

All of the plays the SFran offence executed so well yesterday were scripted, the QB knew exactly where he was going with the ball before the snap, independently of pre (he did not audible once) and post snap coverage (not that it wound up mattering against a D specializing in just the right blown coverages). He did not once go through progressions.  This is hardly surprising given his raw rookie status. What we saw was a very well thought out and executed gameplan managed in part by what KS understood to be what this kid (and the rest of his O) was capable of doing and nothing more than that. It tells us very little about how he (and it) would perform if for example adjustments were required because the gameplan was not working and the QB was under pressure to be the difference maker.

He looks to have a decent arm and to be reasonably accurate with it. Most of his throws were relatively easy although a few (including one redzone toss good for a TD to his TE) were actually very good. JMO but I wouldn't trust Tyrod to have made those throws, but then Tyrod is not really much good in the passing game. 

14 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

This, Shanahan>>>>Daboll

Right. 

Where are the screens in the Bills O?

How about good crossing patterns? Why the hell can't the Bills just go steal a good playbook?

Even their running plays were better designed. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

welp, at least we all now know what the B stands for...

Most people know what the B stands for. Odell isn't the first ODB. My original username was going to big baby jesus but was never cleared, which is fine, you're a self admitted redneck. So I'm sure you can't work the Google. Wu tang rapper.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

12 hours ago, T master said:

Next year the 9ers will have 3 competent QB's in Garopollo, Beathard, & Mullen, if Mullen continues to play the way he did tonight there could be a good QB to be had i hope that Bean is paying attention to what goes on out in SF ! 

Any one of those QB's could be a good get ! If Garopollo is the starter either of the other 2 could be a really good get weather it be a back up or the possibility of a starter ...

The problem for the 49'ers is that Garoppolo has got to be the starter for them.

They are on the hook with giving him over $70 million guaranteed in his contract.

5 hours ago, BigBobby said:

Influenced by that garbage on the NY Daily News the other day written by one of their many racists were you? Get a life. The Bill's aren't racist...but it sounds like you might be.

Well I've never read the NY Daily News. What's that? Is it one of those things you'd mistake for a newspaper but is all gossip when you're in line at a grocery store?

Anyways I'm more interested in the me being racist thing. Go for it. You won't.

30 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Do the Falcons miss him?

Yes indeed :thumbsup:

And to add to that thought, I would bet money they would rather have Shanahan as HC instead of Dan Quinn

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You can only laugh.

I'll admit I didn't watch the game, so I didn't see if he deserves the praise.

Shanahan is making it a habit of making QBs look good. I think he can coach, wasn't a fan of his dad. 

What's his list now?

RG3, they did ruin hin though

Kirk Cousins

Matt Ryan, never trust a man with two first names

Jimmy G

Beathard

Mullens

None sustained success to this point so maybe I'm overstating it. 

No sustained success but damn all his QBs have performed great for him, certainly not coincidence!

His example and how quickly the Bears (and Trubinski) turned their offense around gives hope for Allen in 2019

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Let me ask you a question, would you have given Rex another year for the sake of continuity and not starting again?

Why do these guys get more time than Rex for the mess of a roster that THEY created? 

If you honestly don't understand this...

15 hours ago, BananaB said:

Raiders defense is awful. They were awful with Mack, they are worse without him.

Gruden might be a tv star but he's always sucked as a HC. That was Dungy's team he took over. He'll regret leaving MNF as this obvious tank goes south with Oakland season ticket holders. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER