Nick mullens

Steptide

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You can only laugh.

I'll admit I didn't watch the game, so I didn't see if he deserves the praise.

Shanahan is making it a habit of making QBs look good. I think he can coach, wasn't a fan of his dad. 

What's his list now?

RG3, they did ruin hin though

Kirk Cousins

Matt Ryan, never trust a man with two first names

Jimmy G

Beathard

Mullens

None sustained success to this point so maybe I'm overstating it. 

It underscores the sad state of affairs regarding the BIlls' QB situation when a complete unknown matches our team's total TD passes thrown for the season in 1 bleepin' game.  :sick:

• Like (+1) 2

Nick Wagoner ESPN Staff Writer

By the time Mullens' first regular season playing experience was done, he was 16-of-22 for 262 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 151.9. And he let his emotions show when speaking to Fox about his performance after the game.

"I am calm, cool and collected until I have to bring my emotions out, and they'll come out," he said. "I just love football. I have grown up playing since second grade and this is why you play, for something like this."

With each completed pass, Mullens seemed to reach another historical benchmark.

• Mullens' passer rating of 151.9 was the best by a quarterback making his debut with at least 20 attempts since 1970.

• Over the past 25 seasons, Mullens joined Marc Bulger, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Marcus Mariota as the only players to throw for three or more touchdowns in their first game, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

• Mullens is the first player since Carson Wentz to throw a touchdown in his first career game on the team's opening drive and one of four to do it in the past 15 seasons, along with Wentz, Mariota and Matt Ryan.

• Mullens is the first player in 49ers history to throw three touchdowns in his first game with the team, according to Elias Sport Bureau.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It underscores the sad state of affairs regarding the BIlls' QB situation when a complete unknown matches our team's total TD passes thrown for the season in 1 bleepin' game.  :sick:

It's not a great point, and I love watching the defense. I think Bills fans are one of the few fanbases who'd rather watch their team on defense because they are more entertaining.

I honestly think it has been that way for a decade so some think that's the way it should be. 

But I hate watching this offense. At this point I'd rather watch my team lose 31 to 51 like a lower tier big 12 team.

New England scored 9 points and I'm already thinking that might not be doable without a td by the defense or special teams.

This offense is going to be worse than the winless browns and Detroit teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's truly unreal how the entire Bills fanbase has gone from saying the QB is EVERYTHING to saying the QB is NOTHING without the supporting cast.

the QB makes the supporting caste when Tyrod is the QB (cause he never threw Sammy for 1000 yards or anything) and NOTHING when JA is QB. Get your facts straight.

Tyrod has to win it alone. JA needs all the help he can get. Our receivers (unchanged but for the amazing Deonte Thompson) are the exact same as last year, and NOW we find out they're bad. But it can't get worse than Tyrod haha, can't get worse than Derek Anderson, a few said can't get worse than JA. Why can't we find the damn bar when we see it on the sidelines every Sunday with #2 on its back.

The "can't get worst mentality" leads you on the perpetuating search for the worst. How about "could be better, who's better? who provides better help?" not "can't be worse, give me the next guy off the street. Oops he worse, well can't get worst than THAT.. NEXT!" 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

the QB makes the supporting caste when Tyrod is the QB (cause he never threw Sammy for 1000 yards or anything) and NOTHING when JA is QB. Get your facts straight.

Tyrod has to win it alone. JA needs all the help he can get. Our receivers (unchanged but for the amazing Deonte Thompson) are the exact same as last year, and NOW we find out they're bad. But it can't get worse than Tyrod haha, can't get worse than Derek Anderson, a few said can't get worse than JA. Why can't we find the damn bar when we see it on the sidelines every Sunday with #2 on its back.

The "can't get worst mentality" leads you on the perpetuating search for the worst. How about "could be better, who's better? who provides better help?" not "can't be worse, give me the next guy off the street. Oops he worse, well can't get worst than THAT.. NEXT!" 

That was the subtle point I was trying to get across.

We should have stuck with Tyrod until we knew we had something better. We're like a dude who hadn't had a girlfriend in years that ended up getting a 6, then dumped her because we were convinced a 10 was waiting to hit us up on Tindr. That's a discussion I'd rather leave in the past.

The real issue I have is that fans don't seem to have the ability to objectively judge what they're watching. Some are twisting themselves in knots to protect Allen and virtually every post revolves around that pre-conceived hopeful narrative.

Just freaking call it like you see it!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We should have stuck with Tyrod until we knew we had something better. We're like a dude who hadn't had a girlfriend in years that ended up getting a 6, then dumped her because we were convinced a 10 was waiting to hit us up on Tindr. That's a discussion I'd rather leave in the past.

The real issue I have is that fans don't seem to have the ability to objectively judge what they're watching. Some are twisting themselves in knots to protect Allen and virtually every post revolves around that pre-conceived hopeful narrative.

MajorSomberBasilisk-small.gif

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This is why I don't believe in the "its all about QB."  There are too many no name guys that come in and rip it up, while every QB we have brought in here looks like the worst in the league by a huge margin.

A lot has to do with coaching. Rex & McDermott think running the ball and playing defense is how you win in today's NFL, it's not

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A lot of us were calling the receivers garbage last year. Some, much of the same, project Allen to be great next year.

Just give him a year and he'll do things as a pro he couldn't do in high school.

That crowd was saying matthews, Jones, and whoever was better than woods and Watkins.

At a certain point people have to just realize they've been wrong about almost everything. I think we need to make the betting 101 thread mandatory, because I'd do the opposite of what they say everyday regarding football.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

A lot of us were calling the receivers garbage last year. Some, much of the same, project Allen to he great next year.

Just give him a year and he'll do things as a pro he couldn't do in high school.

That crowd was saying matthews, Jones, and whoever was better than woods and Watkins.

At a certain point people have to just realize they've been wrong about almost everything. I think we need to make the betting 101 thread mandatory, because I'd do the opposite of what they say everyday regarding football.

Right. I called the receivers garbage last year and I continue to call the receivers garbage.

The problem I have is the people who called the receivers "fine" last year and NOW refer to them as trash because "Allen is the future" and all opinions must revolve around the premise that if he plays poorly, it's not his fault.

Tyrod is what he is, but he's a hell of lot more effective than anything we have right now. One could argue he was the perfect QB for McDermott.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Don’t paint such a dramatic picture. Chill. 

Pointing out obvious coaching discrepancies doesn’t seem like wallowing to me. 

It is wallowing because this board can’t even process what the Bills are doing and have done right.  This board is so off base on this team right at a level never seen before on this board, and that’s saying a lot.  This board needs to chill

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Right. I called the receivers garbage last year and I continue to call the receivers garbage.

The problem I have is the people who called the receivers "fine" last year and NOW refer to them as trash because "Allen is the future" and all opinions must revolve around the premise that if he plays poorly, it's not his fault.

Tyrod is what he is, but he's a hell of lot more effective than anything we have right now. One could argue he was the perfect QB for McDermott.

But McDermott wanted nothing to do with him. 

He's really conflicting as a coach. The defense is great, but he just mismanages the offense like I've never seen before. 

The defense should rightfully be frustrated with him and the offense. Yet at the same time, he's responsible for a lot of these guys success. And the offense, well some, like Shady should be frustrated with him.

He's making great money for an RB, but I'm surprised how he has handled the pressers and everything publically. 

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

You two are on the same page. Tyrod was by no means a hall of Famer, but he was in the Alex Smith class in my opinion.

He found ways to win and make plays. He didnt throw for 300 yards, but he made plays with his legs. And I agree with criticisms that sometimes he relied on that too much. But at the end of the day, he won games, was every bit the competitor Allen is, and won games.

Everyone loves the hurdle Allen made.... But this regime and the people who bought in preach you need a QB who can make plays from the pocket. Allen has shown nothing from the pocket, and everyone goes crazy with the hurdle. It was a fun moment, that's cool. But tell me that if Tyrod did the same thing everyone would have went crazy? 

I see a trend in Bills fans and I don't like it. Tyrod gave everything to this team and they treated him like *****. Not giving him his money, constantly restructuring, not sure if he is starter or not, yanking him for Nate ***** Peterman.

And they drafted some big white kid who throws the ball far (always incomplete), but you know, it's Buffalo and it snows. He has big hands ( I think our GM with a background in communications said "he's got big hands" but whatever), and they drafted him to throw from the pocket.

All I've seen is one nice pass on a wheel route, him jump over a guy, and him tell the defense he's with them. It's all garbage. And I left that underlying for good reason because i don't want to get into it, but i think it exists. Watch Eric Reids comments. I'm really starting to be bothered by this team and fanbase.

They can go 0-16. I'm still a fan, but when I start to get a weird vibe, I'm out. And I might be, much to the happiness of many. People will lambast Tyrod and in the next sentence talk about how Peterman wasn't given a fair opportunity. Their is definitely some underlying stuff going on with this regime, coaching staff, and segments of this fanbase. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I would say it’s pretty unlikely he is legit. How many UDFA become good NFL QBs? Not saying it’s impossible. But not very likely. More than likely the gameplan and the raiders Swiss cheese defense is helping. 

Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme (I believe) and Kurt Warner were all UDFAs, so a very few do come in and do well.

4 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

How do you die hard bills fans and footballs fans fail to understand that it dosent matter who plays qb for the team. The offensive line is terrible. Worst in the league. I mean what do you expect.

Nathan Peterman was a waste of a fifth round draft pick in 2017 -- the Bills could have easily signed an UDFA QB to play as poorly as Peterman has.  Peterman's last pick six wasn't because of failed OL protection; it was because he got suckered into attempting to make a throw he doesn't have the ability to make.  It's his poor arm and brain that are the problem not the Bills OL as crappy as it is.

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You can only laugh.

I'll admit I didn't watch the game, so I didn't see if he deserves the praise.

Shanahan is making it a habit of making QBs look good. I think he can coach, wasn't a fan of his dad. 

What's his list now?

RG3, they did ruin hin though

Kirk Cousins

Matt Ryan, never trust a man with two first names

Jimmy G

Beathard

Mullens

None sustained success to this point so maybe I'm overstating it. 

Actually, both Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan have had very nice careers, with and without Shanahan.

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It is wallowing because this board can’t even process what the Bills are doing and have done right.  This board is so off base on this team right at a level never seen before on this board, and that’s saying a lot.  This board needs to chill

ROTFLMAO.   The only two things that the Bills are doing "right" is demonstrating how clueless and incompetent the entire Bills organization and its ownership are ... and how to play the worst offensive football seen in this century.

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Actually, both Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan have had very nice careers, with and without Shanahan.

I agree. I'd like Matt Ryan on the Bills, not really a fan of Cousins. He seems to be the type of player who just never takes the next step.

I admitted I may give Shanahan too much credit for his QB's success, but I think they both had their best years when he was the OC. I think McVay was in Washington too at some point and I know Cousins has been pretty steady for awhile now as far as his ceiling goes. So I could be wrong on him.

I just generally think he has maximized what he's given at QB and credit him for that. However, none has been sustained really. But maybe Atlanta would be amazing with him.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's truly unreal how the entire Bills fanbase has gone from saying the QB is EVERYTHING to saying the QB is NOTHING without the supporting cast.

Yeah, the 49ers supporting cast is so dominant. You could plug a cripple in there & post historic numbers!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25151421/nick-mullens-puts-historic-numbers-nfl-debut-49ers-cruise

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

I thought this was going to be a Mahomes-esque "someone needs to be fired for not drafting this kid" thread.

If he just kills it through the rest of the season, it will be extremely depressing that yet another team lucks into some random godsend QB while the Bills can't find one if they were gifted an entire draft class of them by the league.

• Like (+1) 4

The fire someone for missing out on this guy is obviously sarcastic. But the sad thing really is we keep trotting out Peterman rather than taking a look at guys like Mullins or anyone else. It is either ego driven or just laziness. No rock unturned does not apply to qb?

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Let me save us both trouble: do you believe we should fire everyone and start over? I mean, have you seen everything you need to see? Get rid of Beane, McDermott, all the coaches, and start over?

Do you think we should do that?

Some would call it "tired."

Yes. 

McD's old school, tough guy "vision" has produced the worst offense in the modern era of professional football & many blowout losses. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You two are on the same page. Tyrod was by no means a hall of Famer, but he was in the Alex Smith class in my opinion.

He found ways to win and make plays. He didnt throw for 300 yards, but he made plays with his legs. And I agree with criticisms that sometimes he relied on that too much. But at the end of the day, he won games, was every bit the competitor Allen is, and won games.

Everyone loves the hurdle Allen made.... But this regime and the people who bought in preach you need a QB who can make plays from the pocket. Allen has shown nothing from the pocket, and everyone goes crazy with the hurdle. It was a fun moment, that's cool. But tell me that if Tyrod did the same thing everyone would have went crazy? 

I see a trend in Bills fans and I don't like it. Tyrod gave everything to this team and they treated him like *****. Not giving him his money, constantly restructuring, not sure if he is starter or not, yanking him for Nate ***** Peterman.

And they drafted some big white kid who throws the ball far (always incomplete), but you know, it's Buffalo and it snows. He has big hands ( I think our GM with a background in communications said "he's got big hands" but whatever), and they drafted him to throw from the pocket.

All I've seen is one nice pass on a wheel route, him jump over a guy, and him tell the defense he's with them. It's all garbage. And I left that underlying for good reason because i don't want to get into it, but i think it exists. Watch Eric Reids comments. I'm really starting to be bothered by this team and fanbase.

They can go 0-16. I'm still a fan, but when I start to get a weird vibe, I'm out. And I might be, much to the happiness of many. People will lambast Tyrod and in the next sentence talk about how Peterman wasn't given a fair opportunity. Their is definitely some underlying stuff going on with this regime, coaching staff, and segments of this fanbase. 

What are you saying here? 

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

What I think tonight shows is that if Kyle Shannahan or Sean Mcvay ever become available. Pegula should bring in the brinks truck and pay these guys. Both know offense and have a QB friendly system.

Not part of the process. McDermott likes retreads so he isn’t upstaged.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It is a fan message board and all opinions should be welcome. However, it really seems there is a small group of posters who feel the need, not just to offer their opinions, but, to deliver their opinions as facts and dominate every thread with some variation of the same themes: McDermott needs to be fired, Beane needs to be fired, Allen is a bust, and the organization, overall, has no direction, plan, or any sense whatsoever of what they are doing.

And, if you disagree in any way, they become angry and aggressive, and proceed to accuse you of being a kool-aid drinking homer, who has no ability to objectively evaluate this team, organization, or football in general, and blindly follows this team in nothing more than a simple, polyannish, Bills colored glasses kind of way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Influenced by that garbage on the NY Daily News the other day written by one of their many racists were you? Get a life. The Bill's aren't racist...but it sounds like you might be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is a fan message board and all opinions should be welcome. However, it really seems there is a small group of posters who feel the need, not just to offer their opinions, but, to deliver their opinions as facts and dominate every thread with some variation of the same themes: McDermott needs to be fired, Beane needs to be fired, Allen is a bust, and the organization, overall, has no direction, plan, or any sense whatsoever of what they are doing.

And, if you disagree in any way, they become angry and aggressive, and proceed to accuse you of being a kool-aid drinking homer, who has no ability to objectively evaluate this team, organization, or football in general, and blindly follows this team in nothing more than a simple, polyannish, Bills colored glasses kind of way. 

There is also another small group of people who feel as though they are far superior in their understanding of what the Bills are doing and that in fact every historical awful performance by the Bills proves that the Bills are heading in the right direction.  You can spot these posters by their condescending comments criticizing every one who does not buy into the Bills process, to the degree they do.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

welp, at least we all now know what the B stands for...

If we don't send a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick right now, for "Rob" Mullens, this FO and franchise will be doomed forever. I don't care if we're past the trade deadline. Make it happen, McD!

Hey Terry, frack some hole for free to make it happen, do something, you paraquat.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

What I think tonight shows is that if Kyle Shannahan or Sean Mcvay ever become available. Pegula should bring in the brinks truck and pay these guys. Both know offense and have a QB friendly system.

Why should he do that when it's so much more profitable for him to hire neophyte HCs and GMs like McDermott and Beane and have the lowest current salary level in the NFL?   Bills fans are like lemmings -- they'll continue to fill the stadium no matter how bad the team.

51 minutes ago, BigBobby said:

Influenced by that garbage on the NY Daily News the other day written by one of their many racists were you? Get a life. The Bill's aren't racist...but it sounds like you might be.

Right-o.  No Bills fan could possibly "connect the dots" and come to a conclusion on his own that maybe some of the Bills decisions during the McDermott/Beane/Pegula regime are influenced by individuals' race.  It has to come from some "outside agitator" from NYC because we all know there are no racists in Buffalo and WNY while NYC is rife with them.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

There is also another small group of people who feel as though they are far superior in their understanding of what the Bills are doing and that in fact every historical awful performance by the Bills proves that the Bills are heading in the right direction.  You can spot these posters by their condescending comments criticizing every one who does not buy into the Bills process, to the degree they do.  

There will always be extreme opinions on any topic. However, to be honest, I see very few posters defending everything this organization does or that have anointed Allen as a franchise QB. Most seem to be of the opinion that it is too early to tell how good McDermott will be as a coach, Beane will be as a GM, or Allen will be as QB. A willingness to give this coaching staff, front office, and a rookie QB the benefit of the doubt and the time to prove themselves is not the same as buying into everything this team does. It is simply a rational approach. 

Take a quick perusal through the threads and then objectively ask your self if they are dominated by those in the group you described or the one I described.

4 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Nice try with the veiled accusations of racism on the part of the coaching staff and fan base. 

At least have the stones to come right out and say it. 

Hmm he was right. Simple. 

• Thank you (+1) 1