Where are all the darnold rosen and Mayfield fans?

Hebert19

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Sad look for Bills fans when they find comfort in the struggles of other rookies. Pitiful, really. 

it's not that.

it's about the smugness and self-assuredness of the "WRONG JOSH" crowd, and seeing them humiliated. At least it is for me.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, now that we have had a chance to see more then a sample of the rookie QB class, let's review:

Baker Mayfield - Average to date, has more weapons then Darnold, Allen and Rosen, but can already see issues that will be long term, short, not particularly mobile in the pocket, has potential to be solid starter based on what we have seen.

Sam Darnold - Impressive based on the lack of weapons on offense the Jets have.  Major issues with ball security.  Fairly athletic and can move in the pocket, let's hold initial judgement until he gets some weapons around him.

Josh Allen - From the small sample size is a great athlete with huge arm and is very mobile.  Inexperience has caused him major issues with sacks.  Accuracy is still an issue but honestly better then what I expected.  Has literally worst combination of offensive. Line and skill position players in the NFL.  Until the Bills provide him NFL talent to work with he is a work in progress.

Josh Rosen - To date in my opinion a true grease fire in a bad system in Arizona.  Horrid offensive line and can't utilize the skill position players he has on the roster.  Weaker arm then expected, skinny build and looks frail in the pocket.  Of all 4, looks most like bust.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’ll conjure a guess, regardless of anyone’s stance on the 2018 QBs. Many fans have shifted their focus onto the possibility the Bills waited a year too long to address their QB deficiency. 

That is a solid point.  Without the "real" GM in place...and being McD's first year on the job and with Tyrod, I would wager that he simply wasn't ready to make that evaluation at the time.  I can't really fault him...although I would have liked Watson.  The selection of Peterman I don't think was a matter of drafting the QB of the future as much as bringing in a capable backup...albeit we really didn't accomplish even that.  Then again that was not known at that time.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Rosen has looked terrible for two straight weeks. I feel comfortable saying he's been the worst rookie QB so far. I think it's fair to say the order they were drafted in is the same order of how they rank so far.

Wait, thought Rosen was the most pro-ready.

Don’t misinterpret my post - I am not saying that Rosen is destined to be bad.  IMHO, you can’t really judge any of these guys off their rookie seasons.  My point is that a lot of folks thought that Rosen would walk right into the league and thrive - that obviously hasn’t happened.  

Just in context of Rosen vs Allen - neither should be judged off this season as both are suffering fro poor supporting casts, as well as inexperience.

28 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

it's not that.

it's about the smugness and self-assuredness of the "WRONG JOSH" crowd, and seeing them humiliated. At least it is for me.

I understand, but seeing as how it will be a few years at the earliest before we can really assess who got the right or wrong, better or worse Josh, it seems like a waste of time currently. People on both sides get hot flashes whenever either one does something good or bad on a play to play basis. That’s just no way to judge players, especially struggling rookies. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

Non player character apparently? it's some video game influenced insult that the alt-right is using to say that everybody else is brainless and can't think for themselves (thus the irony), and unfortunately it seems to be slipping into other circles. It's just boring as all hell, but I guess it's a thing now.

I'm totally lost, you used NPC to insult someone else. And now you're insulting your own insult.

I get parodies, but you're really going down a weird path with this one. 

Which the fact you're insulting people with NPC speaks volumes about yourself. I didn't know that was a thing. 

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm totally lost, you used NPC to insult someone else. And now you're insulting your own insult.

I get parodies, but you're really going down a weird path with this one. 

Which the fact you're insulting people with NPC speaks volumes about yourself. I didn't know that was a thing. 

You missed the point. He was insulting someone else, BECAUSE the some else uses NPC to insult others.  He was not using NPC to insult anyone.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

You missed the point. He was insulting someone else, BECAUSE the some else uses NPC to insult others.  He was not using NPC to insult anyone.

Holy *****... this is way too much effort. So he wasn't insulting the guy that it appeared he was insulting, he was insulting that guy to insult someone else who doesn't exist by using their dumb insult?

How could I have missed that?

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mayfield looks like the real deal--plus he's handicapped by the worst HC in NFL history.

What was the OP's point again?

Oh you know that's not true.  McD is there worst coach in NFL history.  I've read it on the internet so it must be true.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Oh you know that's not true.  McD is there worst coach in NFL history.  I've read it on the internet so it must be true.

Heh.  You got jokes.  Anyhow, the Ryan idiot boys need to be included in any serious discussion ot worst coaches all time.  Cleveland's got nothing on them.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Early on everyone was clamoring that we got the wrong guy.  They were the best of the bunch.  Now that they are playing like rookies we've moved on to mahomes.  Its hilarious.  

Rookies are all playing like rookies.  Based on what I've watched.  I'd still take my chances on Allen all day. 

Mayfield is every bit as good as advertised to me, and Allen still looks like a bust. What do you need help with?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nice finish by Rosen. Didn't expect that considering the way he played the first 3+ quarters. Good for him. I remain unimpressed, but the fact that he looked pretty good in the 4th quarter STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALLEN.

Rosen has Larry Fitzgerald

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I wanted Rosen and here I am still. What can I help you with?

I was hoping that maybe Mayfield would fall because of his height, but Rosen was my second choice.  My guess is that if Mayfield had been there at #7, McJackass would have passed on him, too, just as they did on Rosen.   That's the Billsy thing to do.  They passed on Russell Wilson back in 2012, too, because he was "too short".

Rosen led a great last drive which ended with a pretty TD pass ... and then tossed a pass to Larry Fitz for the 2 point conversion to make sure that the Cards didn't lose on a last second FG.  I haven't watched much of Rosen, but he looked much improved over some of his previous outings.

As for Darnold and Mayfield, both struggled against tough, experienced defenses that can bring it against young, inexperienced QBs, which they did.

I hope that Allen can develop into a franchise QB, but I think he has two big strikes against him: he's a "project" QB and project QBs don't often pan out; and he literally has no support around him with suspect QB coaching, poor OL, and a non-NFL caliber WR corps.  FTR, I can't think of a first QB drafted since 2000 who was described as a "project" who went on to become a franchise QB or better.  The successful "projects" recently have come from below the first round, including Tom Brady, Tony Romo (UDFA), and Kirk Cousins.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I was hoping that maybe Mayfield would fall because of his height, but Rosen was my second choice.  My guess is that if Mayfield had been there at #7, McJackass would have passed on him, too, just as they did on Rosen.   That's the Billsy thing to do.  They passed on Russell Wilson back in 2012, too, because he was "too short".

Rosen led a great last drive which ended with a pretty TD pass ... and then tossed a pass to Larry Fitz for the 2 point conversion to make sure that the Cards didn't lose on a last second FG.  I haven't watched much of Rosen, but he looked much improved over some of his previous outings.

As for Darnold and Mayfield, both struggled against tough, experienced defenses that can bring it against young, inexperienced QBs, which they did.

I hope that Allen can develop into a franchise QB, but I think he has two big strikes against him: he's a "project" QB and project QBs don't often pan out; and he literally has no support around him with suspect QB coaching, poor OL, and a non-NFL caliber WR corps.  FTR, I can't think of a first QB drafted since 2000 who was described as a "project" who went on to become a franchise QB or better.  The successful "projects" recently have come from below the first round, including Tom Brady, Tony Romo (UDFA), and Kirk Cousins.

What difference does it make in which round he was selected ? Get him an OL and some weapons and then give him a year or so. And then we'll see ...

Edited by Looper

Rosen's game against San Fran is the perfect microcosm  of a rookie season.  Through the first 3 quarters the kid looked awful and had a QB rating of 40.  But damn did he have an excellent 4th quarter to lead his team to the win.  This is why we need to get Allen out there ASAP.  The four teams starting rookies are out of it - there isn't a playoff team among the bunch  The ONLY thing that matters this year is how well do they do in developing their rookie QB's.  Allen needs to PLAY and LEARN.  It's just that simple.

Some additional thoughts on the rookies this week:

*  Fitzgerald is worth his weight in gold to a rookie QB like Rosen.  This guy is the consummate PRO and is clearly Rosen's security blanket. 

*  Baker Mayfield is showing us what happens when you play on a bad offensive football team.  As the Browns have traded away skill players they have reverted to form and Mayfield is suffering for it.  On the plus side for Browns fans they are stock piling draft picks that can be turned into offensive weapons next year. 

*  Darnold continues to struggle after a solid start to the season.  I suspect that this is due to the fact that instead of playing games against defenses ranked in the bottom quarter of the NFL he is now seeing very good defenses - sort of like the defenses Allen was facing.

So where do I rank the 1st round rookie QB's:  Mayfield > Darnold, Rosen & Allen >>> Baltimore's gimmick guy.  Yep, IMO Darnold, Rosen & Allen have not separated from each other. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s really weird there is a thread crapping on all the other QB’s when Allen has thrown the least touchdowns, yards, yards per attempt, yards yer game, completion percentage.

Somehow this is a defense of Allen? 

I don’t get it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

It’s really weird there is a thread crapping on all the other QB’s when Allen has thrown the least touchdowns, yards, yards per attempt, yards yer game, completion percentage.

I don’t get it. 

It shows that patience is required for all rookie quarterbacks...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Looper said:

What difference does it make in which round he was selected ? Get him an OL and some weapons and then give him a year or so. And then we'll see ...

I'm just pointing out that first round "project" QBs haven't worked out in the last almost 20 years.  My guess is that that's likely a combo of their being drafted much too high for their actual talent level and for being put under pressure by being expected to start --and succeed -- too soon. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

A!so people forget Mahomes sat for a whole year and has some of the best weapons around.

I didn't forget. I wanted him to sit all year.  But we had to play him because we have no one else because our brain trust traded away 2 guys that  could have.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rosen looks so skinny

Somewhere out on the web is a photo of Brady from his Combine appearance in 2000.  Talk about skinny ... and Kirk Cousins fell out of favor with most football gurus because he was described as "too slightly built", ie, "skinny".

14 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Rosen's game against San Fran is the perfect microcosm  of a rookie season.  Through the first 3 quarters the kid looked awful and had a QB rating of 40.  But damn did he have an excellent 4th quarter to lead his team to the win.  This is why we need to get Allen out there ASAP.  The four teams starting rookies are out of it - there isn't a playoff team among the bunch  The ONLY thing that matters this year is how well do they do in developing their rookie QB's.  Allen needs to PLAY and LEARN.  It's just that simple.

Some additional thoughts on the rookies this week:

*  Fitzgerald is worth his weight in gold to a rookie QB like Rosen.  This guy is the consummate PRO and is clearly Rosen's security blanket. 

*  Baker Mayfield is showing us what happens when you play on a bad offensive football team.  As the Browns have traded away skill players they have reverted to form and Mayfield is suffering for it.  On the plus side for Browns fans they are stock piling draft picks that can be turned into offensive weapons next year. 

*  Darnold continues to struggle after a solid start to the season.  I suspect that this is due to the fact that instead of playing games against defenses ranked in the bottom quarter of the NFL he is now seeing very good defenses - sort of like the defenses Allen was facing.

So where do I rank the 1st round rookie QB's:  Mayfield > Darnold, Rosen & Allen >>> Baltimore's gimmick guy.  Yep, IMO Darnold, Rosen & Allen have not separated from each other. 

Excellent analysis.  I agree with your rankings.  Mayfield separates mostly because of his leadership.  The other three are kind of in a bunch.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I'm just pointing out that first round "project" QBs haven't worked out in the last almost 20 years.  My guess is that that's likely a combo of their being drafted much too high for their actual talent level and for being put under pressure by being expected to start --and succeed -- too soon. 

Fair enough but I'm in the camp that thinks he will succeed. And I think we've seen that all rookies QBs have their warts. 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t get it. 

You clearly don't understand how awesome it would have been for Josh Allen had Josh Rosen not thrown that TD pass.

Before that pass, I thought Josh Allen was a franchise quarterback. Now, I'm totally flabbergasted.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont have an answer for you other then the Chiefs did it differently.....whether it be right or whether it be wrong the bills decided to biuld this team in phases.......I fully expect this to be a concentrated effort this offseason to improve this offense

"But if not.........then go pound sand goddamit!    Whatever they do was still the right thing to do because that's all they could do!"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1