McBeane Confidence

McBeane  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

On 10/22/2018 at 9:53 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's quite clear that McBeane's plan is to build this team long term. Whether or not they're doing it correctly is obviously up for debate, but they're clearly focused on the long term. How much confidence do you have that they'll succeed within the next 2-3 years?

There's no more long term in the NFL unless you run into a Brady or Mahomes. Players usually bounce after their rookie deal. Buffalo will always be somewhat handcuffed luring Fa's ro come. These 2 guys will need 4-5 years to do what fans expect in 2 years. I said all along I'll give them 3 full seasons to show me a bright future. We're at the halfway point of that 3 years and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. 

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously man, get a grip.  One draft...and cleared cap space.  You need a Valium 

You are definitely slow.....  Do some research and tell me how many drafts McDermott has been here. Here.....I'll help you out.  It's more than 1, but less than 3.  Although, at your education level, that math may be too complicated for you.

Edited by sven233

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously man, get a grip.  One draft...and cleared cap space.  You need a Valium 

...sad stuff isn't it?.......and I'm certain the OP's assertion is true......out of three phases, they don't care about ONE?.....day care got out early today....SMH..........

....."Their actions clearly demonstrate that they don't care about offense. "........

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know this falls under the Beane umbrella, but a LOT depends on our scouts killing it in the next few drafts. We need young, cheap talent, especially on offense, obviously. I must say I’m surprised the offense is as bad as it is. I didn’t expect A LOT, but certainly more than THIS! I don’t know how much to blame the talent vs how much is on scheme and/or coaching.....but this is ridiculous! 

The next 2-3 years? For most successful regimes, a rebuild doesn't take a total of possibly 5 years in the NFL. 3 years total is usually the standard in seeing how far the organization as a whole has come. We're definitely not going to be there next year...if these two are lucky to see a year after that it better be something big. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know this falls under the Beane umbrella, but a LOT depends on our scouts killing it in the next few drafts. We need young, cheap talent, especially on offense, obviously. I must say I’m surprised the offense is as bad as it is. I didn’t expect A LOT, but certainly more than THIS! I don’t know how much to blame the talent vs how much is on scheme and/or coaching.....but this is ridiculous! 

Every team needs young cheap talent.  They need to hit on some free agents or make some trades  The roster will turn over before they accomplish anything with just draft picks. This upcoming off season is going to determine if Beane was the right pick  He gutted the roster, freed up tons of cap space and accumulated picks vs players.  The 2019 Bills better be a hell of a lot more talented than the 2018 team.  The 2017/2018 drafts so far look good (don't want to jinx)  2019 better have a better corner opposite White, offensive line help (can we please do better than Mills at RT?) A young pass rushing end.  Obviously some play makers for Allen to grow with  Get some speed on this team  Get a big TE who can run . 

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

Every team needs young cheap talent.  They need to hit on some free agents or make some trades  The roster will turn over before they accomplish anything with just draft picks. This upcoming off season is going to determine if Beane was the right pick  He gutted the roster, freed up tons of cap space and accumulated picks vs players.  The 2019 Bills better be a hell of a lot more talented than the 2018 team.  The 2017/2018 drafts so far look good (don't want to jinx)  2019 better have a better corner opposite White, offensive line help (can we please do better than Mills at RT?) A young pass rushing end.  Obviously some play makers for Allen to grow with  Get some speed on this team  Get a big TE who can run . 

Yeah, obviously we have the space to be a player in FA next offseason, and that will be very important. But they cost more than the drafted players where you build your core and future. So yes, the pro-personnel guys need to avoid whiffs as well. Heck, look at what a difference our safeties made! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Yeah, obviously we have the space to be a player in FA next offseason, and that will be very important. But they cost more than the drafted players where you build your core and future. So yes, the pro-personnel guys need to avoid whiffs as well. Heck, look at what a difference our safeties made! 

Last two years they have done ok if not well.  Lets be completely honest with ourselves  Last years Bills record may have been 9-7 but that was a very very lucky 9-7.  This year we could be 3-4 if not for a bad break vs the Texans and latter part of the year gets easier (assuming we get something going at qb) Looking at the big picture we need game breaking talent on offense.  McCoy is old.  We have no other real weapons on offense.  Clay and Benjamin need to be gone  Send DiMarco packing  I dont who else pays that much for a fullback in the modern NFL.  Its almost as bad as when we have two place kickers.  See what happens with Zay with the rest of his rookie deal. Draft some speed.  Get that Williams kid from SD  They wont put more $ into WR  so he will go somewhere else  he's young big and fast 

5 hours ago, sven233 said:

You are definitely slow.....  Do some research and tell me how many drafts McDermott has been here. Here.....I'll help you out.  It's more than 1, but less than 3.  Although, at your education level, that math may be too complicated for you.

McD isn’t the GM...keep whining though

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD isn’t the GM...keep whining though

You're a special kind of special and I feel sorry for you.  You're constantly wrong and I just can't help your level of incompetence.  You're worth nothing, especially my time.

Edited by sven233

On 10/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, Reed83HOF said:

I pretty much feel the same way. I am grading on McD as a coach and not as defacto GM. The team overachieved last year and he improved the defense. Grading Beane rests on Allen and I am still not sure who is calling the shots, him or McD. The jury is still out on this guy....

I know it’s not popular to say but what if as much as “overachieving” we actually got lucky. I know, I know, we are the bills but....

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I know it’s not popular to say but what if as much as “overachieving” we actually got lucky. I know, I know, we are the bills but....

The problem is this whole topic is about the confidence level we have in McDermott and Beane being successful in the next 2-3 years.  They have shown, to this point, that they are nowhere near where any of us want to be.  We lucked into the Playoffs last year and that is great to get that monkey off our back, but we were not a good team.  This year, we are even worse.  So, it's just hard to have any faith for the next 2-3 years until they show us something positive.  Sure, the defense is better this year, but by how much?  We've gotten blown out in half our games.  And, as we have been discussing above, they have yet to prove they can identify any kind of offensive talent.  At this point, it is on them to prove they know what they are doing and show us something tangible (offensive talent) so we can believe in them.  This upcoming off season is the most important of their tenure here.  If we put a similar product on the field next season with no real improvement, especially points scored, then how can anyone feel confident in them going forward?

Edited by sven233

5 hours ago, Augie said:

They also need to stop wasting draft picks on trading up for projects.  They traded up  for Jones in 2017 and Allen and Edmunds in 2018, and all were "projects" for various reasons.  The draft is always chancy -- only about 50% of first round picks become successful NFLers and have decent careers as starters, and the success rate for later rounds plummets after the first round -- so making a habit of trading up is a losing proposition, and trading up for "projects" is even riskier.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It took cutting half the team to get us out of cap hell, but you advocate that they should have resigned Woods and Goodwin, two WR who up to that point had greatly underachieved in Buffalo, all while we did not have the QB of the future?  No rational person could look at that and think it was a smart move.  This ENTIRE board pounded the table not only for Goodwin to be let go but for him to be CUT (because that is how the board operates- anyone who doesn't immediately contribute needs to be cut).  We were NEVER going to be able to keep all those guys.  

They traded Sammy so they could get their QB.  Sammy (the #2 receiver in KC) wanted more than we were going to give him.  We got great value from what was an asset that would walk away.  All that aside, WRs don't mean anything without a QB.  

This really all brings us back to the true lesson of having Sammy, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan on the same team: that it means NOTHING without a QB.  Those guys, with good or average QB plays, have become stars.  That is because of the QB, nothing else.  The first step is the QB.  The rest falls into place afterwards.  Thats what the Eagles did, that is what the Rams did.  Why is all of a sudden incompetence for us to do the same thing?  

Bull manure.  You need to stop making up stuff.  The Bills incurred $32 million in dead cap space by trading away Dareus, Glenn, Taylor, and Ragland.  All but Taylor are starting on teams a whole lot better than the Bills.   Sure the Bills don't have those players big contracts, but they also don't their talent either.   You can't build even a mediocre NFL team with bottom feeder and career backup talent.

The Bills also incurred another $7 million in dead cap space by cutting/trading Corey Coleman, AJ McCarron, Marshall Newhouse, and Jeremy Kerley -- all players brought in by the player personnel geniuses named McDermott and Beane and kept only a few months at best.  Coleman was with the Bills for about 10 days, and I think Newhouse was the only one who lasted into the regular season.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They also need to stop wasting draft picks on trading up for projects.  They traded up  for Jones in 2017 and Allen and Edmunds in 2018, and all were "projects" for various reasons.  The draft is always chancy -- only about 50% of first round picks become successful NFLers and have decent careers as starters, and the success rate for later rounds plummets after the first round -- so making a habit of trading up is a losing proposition, and trading up for "projects" is even riskier.

Zay Jones caught like a zillion balls in college and was supposed to have flypaper hands

Allen - QB is one of the spots where you DO draft for immense potential...its the hardest position to get right in all of football........the reward on a pick like that when you guess right is generational

Edmunds is a stud RIGHT NOW.....with the potential to be a All Pro player

None of these guys are "projects" in the sense that it didnt make sense not to take them.......sometimes draft pick pan out....sometimes they dont.....it is interesting that Dawkins got left off your list in the trade up simply because he was a good NFL player immediately.

8 hours ago, sven233 said:

These homers were giving McDermott credit for trading down and getting white until Mahomes started lighting up the scoreboard and setting records. 

8 hours ago, sven233 said:

You're a special kind of special and I feel sorry for you.  You're constantly wrong and I just can't help your level of incompetence.  You're worth nothing, especially my time.

Valium bud, take a Valium

Edited by Alphadawg7

Giants are going to lose the race to the NFL's basement, too | Politi

Buffalo: The Bills, who somehow have managed to win two games in spite of themselves already, pulled quarterback Derek Anderson off the street and made him the starter in a 37-5 loss to -- wait for it -- another team on this list. That, ladies and germs, is how you suck properly. ?

Meanwhile, the race to the bottom for the chance to draft Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert -- can we call it Suck for the Duck? -- has a host of lousy contenders for the No. 1 pick (and that's assuming Herbert leaves school early).

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/10/giants_are_going_to_lose_the_race_to_the_nfls_base.html

On 10/22/2018 at 1:14 PM, H2o said:

I took 60-80% on both. What they did with marginal talent last year was amazing. I expected this year to be worse than last due to simple math with subtractions versus additions. I think the tide starts to turn next year and everyone will see it. In this league you never know though so I will hold out until I see what we are looking like early next May. 

Absolutely. I'm on board with you here.  This season was supposed to suck. Seeing what they did last year with crap talent was certainly promising.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:07 PM, The_Dude said:

McDumbass sealed his fate when he traded the 10th pick to the Chiefs 2 drafts ago. What. An. Idiot. 

You do realize Doug Whaley was the GM, right? I'm getting awfully tired of having to point this out over. and over. and over.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I didn’t vote. I expected this season to happen the way it is but I must say confidence is still fading. They make no moves to help their rookie QB whatsoever. 

This is stupid. What moves? Trade away draft picks to get a WR so we'll win 6 games instead of 4? What's the point of that? At that point we're still not going anywhere this year, and we'll actually end up with a later draft pick. I'd argue that I'd rather stay put, save the capital, not take on a big contract (after making such a concious effort to shed horrible contracts) while not getting rid of the picks we need to build the team going forward, and get a draft pick near the top. Sure, it'll make this season suck, but I think we all expected that. Trying to add personnel at this point is absolutely counter-productive to the long-term goals of the current FO.

Edited by CLTbills

On 10/22/2018 at 2:28 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, when they make the sort of investment in QB that they did this year, and still think they don't care about offense, there just isn't much to be said.  I think its pretty obvious they care and they think that drafting the QB is the first step.  

Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones were drafted too. I'm giving them another year. Hopefully the offense takes a few steps foward next year. Coach did say during the off season there would probably be a drop off record wise. I don't have the link and I'm not looking for it.

21 hours ago, sven233 said:

Dawkins is a good player.  He isn't going to help score points, but a good player.  I will say this.  It may be hard to gauge just how good he is yet, though, because he is the best lineman on a team with below average lineman.  He is going to stand out.  Is he a top tackle in this league yet?  No.  But he is serviceable to this point and hopefully will keep getting better and I think is someone you can win with.  They need another tackle, 2 guards, and a center, though!!!  HA!

There's no arguing with you. Not cuz you're right, cuz you don't know how dumb you come off as. 

You did ask for 1(ONE) good offensive player, DIDN'T YOU!?!? You got your response and you come up with this regurgitation of the same crap.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Absolutely. I'm on board with you here.  This season was supposed to suck. Seeing what they did last year with crap talent was certainly promising.

You do realize Doug Whaley was the GM, right? I'm getting awfully tired of having to point this out over. and over. and over.

This is stupid. What moves? Trade away draft picks to get a WR so we'll win 6 games instead of 4? What's the point of that? At that point we're still not going anywhere this year, and we'll actually end up with a later draft pick. I'd argue that I'd rather stay put, save the capital, not take on a big contract (after making such a concious effort to shed horrible contracts) while not getting rid of the picks we need to build the team going forward, and get a draft pick near the top. Sure, it'll make this season suck, but I think we all expected that. Trying to add personnel at this point is absolutely counter-productive to the long-term goals of the current FO.

There have been like 3 good receivers that the Bills could have brought in for peanuts during the season that other teams nabbed and the Bulls didn’t even try. 

Not for winning games. I couldn’t care less about winning games this season. Better players around Allen would help him develop better. The kid has no one he can count on. No one. No reputable OC. No reputable QB coach. Just a few weeks ago he may have gotten a smart QB on the roster he can get advice from. Said QB isn’t very good nor has he ever been but at least he is probably intelligent at the position. 

That is why my confidence is somewhat fallen. They didnt do a thing to help him outside of bringing in a vet QB very late.  My opinion isn’t stupid. You can leave that part out next time. 

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

There have been like 3 good receivers that the Bills could have brought in for peanuts during the season that other teams nabbed and the Bulls didn’t even try. 

Not for winning games. I couldn’t care less about winning games this season. Better players around Allen would help him develop better. The kid has no one he can count on. No one. No reputable OC. No reputable QB coach. Just a few weeks ago he may have gotten a smart QB on the roster he can get advice from. Said QB isn’t very good nor has he ever been but at least he is probably intelligent at the position. 

That is why my confidence is somewhat fallen. They didnt do a thing to help him outside of bringing in a vet QB very late.  My opinion isn’t stupid. You can leave that part out next time. 

Who?  And for peanuts?  How much?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm reserving judgement till after next years FA and draft  .  If they are doing a tear down I expect young players getting signed in FA  No more 30 something used to be's.  Also spend some draft capital and money on offense.  McDermott has all the tools minus a corner opposite White to field a top 10 defense.  He'll need to get some replacement parts for a few aging guys but the bulk of it is there.  Imagine how good his defense would be with a offense that actually scored points and put pressure on the other team to follow suit. Now watch them go out and draft mostly defense, lol

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Bull manure.  You need to stop making up stuff.  The Bills incurred $32 million in dead cap space by trading away Dareus, Glenn, Taylor, and Ragland.  All but Taylor are starting on teams a whole lot better than the Bills.   Sure the Bills don't have those players big contracts, but they also don't their talent either.   You can't build even a mediocre NFL team with bottom feeder and career backup talent.

The Bills also incurred another $7 million in dead cap space by cutting/trading Corey Coleman, AJ McCarron, Marshall Newhouse, and Jeremy Kerley -- all players brought in by the player personnel geniuses named McDermott and Beane and kept only a few months at best.  Coleman was with the Bills for about 10 days, and I think Newhouse was the only one who lasted into the regular season.  

Yeah, but that talent wasn't getting the Bills to the playoffs.  Dareus and Ragland have drifted into obscurity.  Dareus contributes, but he definitely isn't the engine of the Jags.  Glenn is ok.  Ragland is on a terrrrrible KC defense, and Taylor is on the bench. 

As far as the numbers, $7 million is a nothing burger.  And none of your analysis even touches on long term cap implications (you know, the actual point of creating cap space).  Sure, we are eating dead cap now, but we traded mediocre talent away for cap freedom moving forward.  

This is a mindbogglingly bad argument. 

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

If you’re getting tired or pointing out that Whaley was the GM when Buffalo passed on Mahomes then people are getting tired of you spouting idiotic nonsense. 

Yes, Whaley was still employed by the Bills during that draft. No, he was not running it or calling it. McDermott was in charge of that draft. 

Whaley was only there to ensure he kept his mouth shut for secrecy till after the draft. 

This is a well known fact. 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's quite clear that McBeane's plan is to build this team long term. Whether or not they're doing it correctly is obviously up for debate, but they're clearly focused on the long term. How much confidence do you have that they'll succeed within the next 2-3 years?

Never heard of a team suddenly becoming good when they purge talent following a playoff appearance. Never heard of a team winning anything when they hold the team identity over that of talent and winning games.

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

If you’re getting tired or pointing out that Whaley was the GM when Buffalo passed on Mahomes then people are getting tired of you spouting idiotic nonsense. 

Yes, Whaley was still employed by the Bills during that draft. No, he was not running it or calling it. McDermott was in charge of that draft. 

Whaley was only there to ensure he kept his mouth shut for secrecy till after the draft. 

This is a well known fact. 

There is an article out there that states Pegula was high on Mahomes and Whaley was fired for trading out. A couple of them actually. So well known facts are not actually facts. It’s just people’s opinion that they want to believe and becomes gospel. Truth is that no one really knows much of any facts. 

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones were drafted too. I'm giving them another year. Hopefully the offense takes a few steps foward next year. Coach did say during the off season there would probably be a drop off record wise. I don't have the link and I'm not looking for it.

There's no arguing with you. Not cuz you're right, cuz you don't know how dumb you come off as. 

You did ask for 1(ONE) good offensive player, DIDN'T YOU!?!? You got your response and you come up with this regurgitation of the same crap.

How many points has he scored?  I was talking about skilled players, moron.  And how good is he, really?  Just because he is the best lineman on a team that has terrible lineman doesn't make him great.  Look, if you an others want to blindly follow this coaching staff and front office, that's fine.  But I, along with many others, will wait for some type of evidence they know what they are doing.   You do realize that Rex Ryan and his clown show has a better record than McDermott through the same amount of games, right?

Edited by sven233

On 10/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Does it make you feel big to make ad hominem attacks on others?

I get the people who are losing faith in McD.  He's been something like a .500 coach thus far.   He's made mistakes.

I don't get the mean-spiritedness and childishness.  Why do need to make up derogatory nicknames (McDumbass) and call people idiot?    Are we in middle school?  How does childish rudeness make the dialogue here better - more fun or insightful?

precisely