It could be worse; Frank Reich could be the Bills coach

WotAGuy

Saw this on the OT broadcast; there’s being ballsy, and then there’s just being dumb. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/colts-frank-reich-makes-worst-decision-nfl-season-212039108.html

“The Indianapolis Colts coach did it with guts and bravado, just like his previous employer – the Philadelphia Eagles – taught him to do. But that’s not going to help Reich’s Colts, who essentially gave away a tie when Reich inconceivably called for a fourth-and-4 shotgun pass from his own 43-yard line with 27 seconds left in overtime against the Houston Texans. The rest is history: The Colts failed to convert. Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson connected on a 19-yard pass and Houston made a 37-yard field goal to win the game in overtime

And if that wasn’t bad enough, the Texans actually missed the game-winning field goal attempt initially, only to have that mistake nullified by a timeout called by Reich.”

• Haha (+1) 1

With only 27 seconds left?  So, even if you get the first down you have to go pry 15 more yards and rely on your kicker to make a long field goal.  The odds of you winning by making the first down are less than the odds of you losing if you miss it.  Watch them go 9-7 and miss the playoffs due to a tiebreaker. 

Edited by Doc Brown

It was a bad decision. The Colts had the game in hand and let Watson march down the field for the tie. When the 4th down came up in OT, he tried to draw Houston offside and took the offense off the field, then sent them back out. The momentum, if they had any, was shot at that point and it just felt like it wasn’t going to work and it didn’t.  A tie is better than a loss and the circumstances just pointed to failure in this case.  I think that’s why the announcers had a fit. It just felt like a bad decision and it was.  

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

With only 27 seconds left?  So, even if you get the first down you have to go pry 15 more yards and rely on your kicker to make a long field goal.  The odds of you winning by making the first down are less than the odds of you losing if you miss it.  Watch them go 9-7 and miss the playoffs due to a tiebreaker. 

They had a timeout.

14 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Many things.  One being that McDumbass wouldn't have even considered going for it there. He's a younger, repackaged dick jauron

Would Jauron have turned the season around last year after the Saints/Chargers debacle?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Our coach not only played for a TIE last year, he did it in a game when a TIE would have eliminated us from playoff contention.

So I'll take Reich, thanks.

Unless I'm mistaken our coach won and theirs lost...and we made the playoffs.

Admittedly,  I prefer Reich's aggressiveness. But I also prefer wins over losses or ties.  No guarantee either way at the point the decisions have to be made.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He still has the player mentality, a player goes for the win. Most coaches who never played or haven’t played in decades would play for the tie instead because it’s better for their record. He has a kicker that’s hit a 57 hit field goal this year so I suppose if you can get enough yardage you try the long kick.

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Call me crazy, but I actually agree with the call...you play to win the game! ?

Don't you know that coaches on bad teams who want to keep their jobs play for a noble tie in these situations?  Imagine  how thrilled Colts fans would be with a 1-2-1 record!

Or you could just ensure the loss right out of the box by, say, cutting your only veteran QB and starting Nate Peterman. That evidently would make Bills fans happy.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have absolutely zero problem with what he did. If I was smart enough to figure out how to attach a GIF, I would attach the one of Herman Edwards, saying "you play to win the game!"

If my coach had punted it there, i'd be throwing my remote at my TV. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The decision to go for it was fine. The play call and execution was not. Play to win. A tie is stupid.

..pretty sure Frank was high on the list at TBD as a candidate for Bills' HC job if I remember correctly...............

12 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

It was a bad decision. The Colts had the game in hand and let Watson march down the field for the tie. When the 4th down came up in OT, he tried to draw Houston offside and took the offense off the field, then sent them back out. The momentum, if they had any, was shot at that point and it just felt like it wasn’t going to work and it didn’t.  A tie is better than a loss and the circumstances just pointed to failure in this case.  I think that’s why the announcers had a fit. It just felt like a bad decision and it was.  

I don't think that a tie is better than a loss unless it will directly affect playoff seating- which seems unlikely in this scenario. 

More to the point, you play to win the game. Always aggressive, always fighting. Coaches that do this get flamed when it goes poorly, but they get praised as geniuses when it goes well. It's a great paradox.

Mike Vrabel made the same decision and won- how come no flack for him?

Honestly I would rather lose than tie. A tie is nothing. 

There's been what, 3 games so far this season that have already ended in ties? Those ties have sparked the conversation that the NFL needs to look at their OT rules again and eliminate ties.

And then a coach goes for the win instead of the tie and it's "the worst decision in the history of ever!! Aw gawd, I write sports in the internet and my freaking eyeballs are bleeding from the insanity that was this decision! Who doesn't go for the tie?!? Blllaaarrrggghhh!!" Seriously, peeps. Ignore the talking heads and the writers and pundits and bloggers and analysts and "experts" and all that BS. They are paid to share their opinions (often ****ty ones) and create debate. The schmuck that wrote this has succeeded in doing just that and he's making himself look like a moron in order to do it. No one wants ties. So what does this miraculous bag of rancid assh*les do? Writes the exact opposite and tada, it's click city. I hope this guy stubs his toe in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, trips, falls and wets his favorite Patriots jammy jam pants. 

I’d take Reich over McDermott; I’d rather have a coach who wants to win by outscoring the opponent than one who wants to win by keeping the opponent from scoring. The goal is the same, but the offensive philosophy is more entertaining.