It could be worse; Frank Reich could be the Bills coach

WotAGuy

For all of you saying you don’t play for a tie - Bill O’Brien went for the tie earlier in OT and still won the game.  Should he have played for the win when he had 3rd and 10 at the Indy 11?  He chose to go for the tie and won the game. Playing the odds to avoid a loss doesn’t always mean you end up in a tie.  Sometimes you get the win that way. O’Brien just proved it. 

The way Reich handled the situation (as I detailed in an earlier post). given the flow of the game had failure written all over it.   In a vacuum, I agree you play to win, but that particular point in the game the approach seemed doomed to failure.  Maybe it’s just my BBFS ?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
13 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Based on what exactly

Let me handle this one, the comeback game.

41 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It's odd how outcome dictates people's outlook. Vrabel is coach of the decade today and Reich is a laughingstock. Made essentially the same decision. 

Vrabel gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a former Cheater.

So...we have fans who say aggressive play calling is the ticket, and would gladly swap their 1-3 coach for another team's 1-3 coach, though that 1-3 coach has a franchise QB on his roster but took a swing for the fences by betting on both his offense AND his defense and both failed to execute. 

I would gladly swap Coach McD for any coach that can consistently deliver wins, play off victories and maybe even a championship or two.  Until then suggesting someone elses crap sandwich probably tastes better than ours is missing the larger point. 

That said, I missed the game yesterday so it could just be that I'm in some zen state. 

A dumbarsed decision to be sure!

Normally, I agree to go for these things about 8x out of 10. But, the Field position was everything. If you botch it, your opponent is close enough, with ENOUGH time, to make ONE decent completion, spike the ball and make the FG. Exactly what happened... err after the 5th Teich's second FUBAR!

All my friends were cheering for their betting and personal Fav- Indy, while I was on the winless Texans, not only for the game, but because I've bet them to win their Division.

To let a Duvision team off the mat, by stealing victory from the jaws of a no harm push, was simply inexcusable!

Bad, bad, not ready for Prime Time-Frankie!

I loved the call. I will never fault a coach for trying to win the game. McDermott would have played for a tie, no doubt. 

This reminds me of when people were killing Belichick years ago when the Pats were up by 4 or something and on 4th and 4 they went for it from like their own 30 with 2 minutes left. Their D was getting killed in the 2nd half and he had no faith that they could make the stop, and a 1st down would've sealed the game. It didn't work out...but I would absolutely love that call if the Bills did it, if they had a legit QB.

12 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

For all of you saying you don’t play for a tie - Bill O’Brien went for the tie earlier in OT and still won the game.  Should he have played for the win when he had 3rd and 10 at the Indy 11?  He chose to go for the tie and won the game. Playing the odds to avoid a loss doesn’t always mean you end up in a tie.  Sometimes you get the win that way. O’Brien just proved it. 

The way Reich handled the situation (as I detailed in an earlier post). given the flow of the game had failure written all over it.   In a vacuum, I agree you play to win, but that particular point in the game the approach seemed doomed to failure.  Maybe it’s just my BBFS ?

Yes, with the time left in overtime, if Indy had the ball at the Houston 40 instead of their own 40, I would totally agree with that decision to go for it on 4th down. The failure to convert allowed Houston in one play to get in range to kick the game winning FG.