The Amish Rifle- Fitz

wppete

On 9/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hanging between 0-16 an 2-14? 

Well Hey we're there and it's only Game 3

Im just sick of hearing the 7 wins is the worst thing possible BS.  That’s what he is wishing for. No wins instead of 7. 

• 1 month later...

if only there was a HC that could figure out the FitzCycle...

11 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Watch and learn, Jameis.  Watch and learn. 

um, if I'm not mistaken Fitz was also benched...

both are wildly inconsistent, but yes Winston...."watch a learn" haha

14 minutes ago, 87168 said:

if only there was a HC that could figure out the FitzCycle...

um, if I'm not mistaken Fitz was also benched...

both are wildly inconsistent, but yes Winston...."watch a learn" haha

Fitz can put together two or three good games and then his skills diminish dramatically. I assume the wear and tear catches up to him. He’s the perfect second string type. Just don’t tie your season’s success to his abilities. 

In came the Harvard man to relieve Winston of his duties with 2:10 left in the third. He immediately proved to be a significant upgrade completing all four of his passes for 105 yards and a touchdown—a 72-yard bomb to Mike Evans—in his first two drives. Fitzmagic fully returned to life in his final drive of the game when took the Bucs 88 yards down the field for a game-tying touchdown and two-point conversion.

Unfortunately, Tampa Bay’s porous defense allowed Andy Dalton to march right back at his opponents and set up Randy Bullock for a game-winning field goal. But for a brief moment, the beauty of Fitzmagic was back and everything was good again.

https://deadspin.com/fitzmagic-sort-of-returns-after-jameis-winston-gets-b-1830058927

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

Honestly, he'd be ideal for the Bills right now.  He's not a threat to Allen's job, he'd be a good influence on him, he'd be able to hold down the fort for a few games, etc.

It won’t happen, but he’d be exactly what you want in that spot. 

The problem is Fitz’s value increases every time he comes in and lights it up. Especially when you put him on a team with serviceable receivers. He’s proven he can basically step in anywhere and immediately be able to play. However his team’s starter is arguably worse than he is. So I can’t imagine TB would simply give him away for some lowly pick. Sure he could mentor someone and possibly play a few years but he’s carved out an interesting niche. He’s the ultimate journeyman backup. His career TDS and yards will likely rival some HOFers by the time things are all said and done, especially if he ends up starting after Winston’s Petermanlike debacle. The Fitzpatrick cycle exists because he’s almost good enough to be a starter, but he’s so good at this he’s also irresistible to sign as a backup due to the track record of great off the bench performance, and when he puts up numbers he makes it look exciting too.

His career stats are close to Troy Aikman at this point. How crazy is that?

Edited by yrly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The only place Fitz has a winning record as a starter is in Tampa Bay where he is 4-3. Lets not forget that he is a limited player who struggles with any long term action...

Yeah, but at least Fitz gives you something to cheer about once in a while ...

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah he does but settling for that isn't going to get us where we want to go.

Neither is the mind-numbing, outdated style of football the Bills play under McDermott and his pal Beane.  This is 2018 not 1978 or 1988.

46 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The only place Fitz has a winning record as a starter is in Tampa Bay where he is 4-3. Lets not forget that he is a limited player who struggles with any long term action...

...but that beard!  

And the sense of humor!

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah he does but settling for that isn't going to get us where we want to go.

Sure it would! Our offense would be stabilized with Fitz, no longer would we be last in the league. Can't think of a better guy than Fitzpatrick to help with Allen. That would be a pretty decent QB stable.

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Sure it would! Our offense would be stabilized with Fitz, no longer would we be last in the league. Can't think of a better guy than Fitzpatrick to help with Allen. That would be a pretty decent QB stable.

None of that matters. We need a high draft pick. Long term view versus short term view.

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Absolutely.  No one is calling for him to be the #1, but he is an excellent teammate who would be an ideal mentor for Allen, and could easily win a few games in situations like this where Allen gets injured.

He'd be a great pickup in the offseason if they could make it happen.

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

We should have never let him go. He’s better than Tyrod. He was my favorite QB of the drought. 

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, we really haven’t had a QB as good since (obviously Allen remains to be seen), we legitimately would have been no worse off had we kept Fitz all these years and just gotten a bunch of receivers for him (and I mean actual receivers, not these players the Bills find to line up in the receiver position). Watch the last quarter of the TB game yesterday and tell me what QB we’ve had since that looked remotely as poised. While he’ll never be the best I think he always could have been a moderately serviceable starter with the right talent. Like I said he is approaching and in some cases surpassing Troy Aikman’s numbers mostly coming off the bench as a backup for what we’re some legitimately pretty lousy teams.

I mean we’ve marched talent like EJ and Peterman onto the field. Fitz is miles better than both.