The negativity from the fanbase is not a knee jerk reaction to week 1

Those of us who are negative all the time are right. We were right last year and the previous 17 years, and we are right this year. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but everyone with rose colored glasses is has been and continues to be wrong. It's that black and white.

You might say "We made the playoffs last year!"  However, anyone who watched the team could tell they were completely inept on offense (and defense for a few games after trading Dareus) and had no chance at a superbowl (which is the goal of football in the NFL in case you forgot). So getting to kick a field goal in the playoffs only made us use draft capital to get the 3rd QB off the board. This draft capital was built by trading away talented YOUNG players at positions we currently desperately need help at.

The above paragraph describes the BEST season the Bills have had in the past 18 years.

This season it looks like they are the worst team in the league. Set up for the #1 overall pick. Which would have been great LAST YEAR. That way they could have used that draft capital on an offensive line and some WRs, and try to make the playoffs this year with their young QB. The irony is too painful to me and others on this board with half a brain. That is why we are negative. 

So I'm a little sick of hearing that we are being too negative after one bad game. It's not just one game. It's all the personnel moves (or lack thereof) that make no sense. It's the Jets-Chargers-Saints stretch last year. It's McDermott punting late in overtime against the Colts. It's a draw play on 3rd and 17 with a false start followed by a draw play on 3rd and 22 after the Ravens saw us attempt a draw play on 3rd and 17. It's the poor clock management, and it's the fact that despite the fact that they are in the second year of a "rebuild" they are the 2nd OLDEST team in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Last year, a bunch of vets played their hearts out and got lucky to make the playoffs on a team with a -57 point differential. 2 pro bowlers from that team are no longer in football, the rest aged, and they are paying 50 million to players not on the roster. And the #1 pick isn't contributing because he needs to develop. 

Beane tried to fix it with smoke and mirrors last year and this with short term cap friendly contracts to aging vets, but until the team clears age and cap hell, there's not a great foundation in Buffalo. There is literally NOTHING to build on for the 3-4 year future from last year except Dawkins and White...maybe Milano. No other player from 2017-2018 will be on the team in 2020. Think about how bad that is.

That is the turd sandwich courtesy of Whaley and Ryan. There is no quick fix, but the fixing starts over the next two years. Hopefully after 3 years of drafting and smarter cap management, the team can start to resemble something. 

If you think a pop gun quick fix of drafting a WR this year would fix the hell they are in, you're nuts. This team clears cap hell next season. Their young QB, who they do not want to ruin by putting him in too early, needs to grow. There is hardly a single position where they don't need help. Cap hell and 2 more drafts could put them in a spot where they may improve. 

I just hope management doesn't cave to a frustrated fan base and change the GM and coach who got handed literally nothing to work with. How is the plan of changing a coach and GM every third year working out over the last 20+ years?

And yes, let's attack McDermott and Beane for not hanging on to a guy who wanted more money...but couldn't lead a TD drive in the playoffs. And who completed 30% of his passes Sunday. Or blame them for getting rid of AJ McCarron...who was clearly lining up to save the season! At least they got a pick for him. God only knows what the Raiders were thinking. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 6

Before the season i said you need to start mccarron or allen. Probably mccarron with a likelihood of putting in allen towards the end of the season. I dont give a **** about preseason, and even though petermans numbers were ok you could still plainly see a regular season d would eat him up. But we name peterman the freaking starter. That is when i gave up on the season and lo and behold he peterboy ***** the bed in game one.

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

This site is becoming almost as unbearable to visit as my facebook account.  Sad.

The newcomers certainly have affected the  happiness/fun factor of TBD for sure.

But, welcome! Things sort themselves out eventually.

Go Bills.

Edited by Seasons1992

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Those of us who are negative all the time are right. We were right last year and the previous 17 years, and we are right this year. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but everyone with rose colored glasses is has been and continues to be wrong. It's that black and white.

You might say "We made the playoffs last year!"  However, anyone who watched the team could tell they were completely inept on offense (and defense for a few games after trading Dareus) and had no chance at a superbowl (which is the goal of football in the NFL in case you forgot). So getting to kick a field goal in the playoffs only made us use draft capital to get the 3rd QB off the board. This draft capital was built by trading away talented YOUNG players at positions we currently desperately need help at.

The above paragraph describes the BEST season the Bills have had in the past 18 years.

This season it looks like they are the worst team in the league. Set up for the #1 overall pick. Which would have been great LAST YEAR. That way they could have used that draft capital on an offensive line and some WRs, and try to make the playoffs this year with their young QB. The irony is too painful to me and others on this board with half a brain. That is why we are negative. 

So I'm a little sick of hearing that we are being too negative after one bad game. It's not just one game. It's all the personnel moves (or lack thereof) that make no sense. It's the Jets-Chargers-Saints stretch last year. It's McDermott punting late in overtime against the Colts. It's a draw play on 3rd and 17 with a false start followed by a draw play on 3rd and 22 after the Ravens saw us attempt a draw play on 3rd and 17. It's the poor clock management, and it's the fact that despite the fact that they are in the second year of a "rebuild" they are the 2nd OLDEST team in the NFL.

Can this be classified as a Chemical reaction?  ;)

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

In fairness, if you are this frustrated maybe take a break from the team for a while?  It's going to probably get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Here’s my beef... 

What does all the crying and whining accomplish? 

If some members are soooooo smart about the direction of this team why are you working 9-5’s or hanging in moms basement? Shouldn’t you be climbing the scouting ladder and working your way into the nfl? 

We are ALL unqualified nfl talent evaluators.

There are 32 coaches and 32 gm’s. Who are we to criticize and beg for firings in year 2 of a massive project? 

I’m as bummed out and disappointed as anyone by the ONE game we played. I was one of those who expected more from Nate, certainly expected more from the defense. 

However I’m not on here arguing and crying about the state of the team. 

It is what it is, accept the “process” and cheer for your team or go find a new team. I hear the pats and cowboys have room on their massive bandwagons 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So we won 9 games last year.  We fielded a team that was good enough to win 9 games.  So instead of winning 9 games we game plan to lose them all?  Because that would have been what it took to only POTENTIALLY get the #1 overall pick with the Browns at 0 - 16.

And how does that exactly occur if you have the talent to win 9 games?  Do you go out of your way to game plan to lose every game?  With the personality it takes to be a NFL Player/Coach, that is just not possible.  I do not have delusions that we are going to the playoffs again this year, or winning more than 5 or 6 games, but one game does not a season make.

win2.jpg

Let’s see what happens.  Josh might make all the difference if we start him.  Any defense will give up a lot of points if the offense can’t get a single first down.

And when all is said and done, the Ravens may be the best team in the afc.

There.  That’s my positive hot take, and I’m sticking by it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Here’s my beef... 

What does all the crying and whining accomplish? 

If some members are soooooo smart about the direction of this team why are you working 9-5’s or hanging in moms basement? Shouldn’t you be climbing the scouting ladder and working your way into the nfl? 

We are ALL unqualified nfl talent evaluators.

There are 32 coaches and 32 gm’s. Who are we to criticize and beg for firings in year 2 of a massive project? 

I’m as bummed out and disappointed as anyone by the ONE game we played. I was one of those who expected more from Nate, certainly expected more from the defense. 

However I’m not on here arguing and crying about the state of the team. 

It is what it is, accept the “process” and cheer for your team or go find a new team. I hear the pats and cowboys have room on their massive bandwagons 

Well I am. I threw out some serious questions I have about the coach and GM.

2 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

So we won 9 games last year.  We fielded a team that was good enough to win 9 games.  So instead of winning 9 games we game plan to lose them all?  Because that would have been what it took to only POTENTIALLY get the #1 overall pick with the Browns at 0 - 16.

And how does that exactly occur if you have the talent to win 9 games?  Do you go out of your way to game plan to lose every game?  With the personality it takes to be a NFL Player/Coach, that is just not possible.  I do not have delusions that we are going to the playoffs again this year, or winning more than 5 or 6 games, but one game does not a season make.

win2.jpg

I never said lose on purpose. Just that it's ironic we might get the #1 pick the year AFTER giving draft capital to get our QB.

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

In fairness, if you are this frustrated maybe take a break from the team for a while?  It's going to probably get a lot worse before it gets better.

Thinking about it, but want to see how Allen plays.

• Like (+1) 1

I can deal with the Bills being bad because the reward for being the worst team in the NFL in 2018 is a game-changing DT named Nate Oliver from the University of Houston as the first pick in the 2019 draft. This kid could easily be the next Bruce Smith for this franchise. He’s that good.

The two most important questions moving forward are............

1. Is Josh Allen the answer moving forward, while surviving a miserable season?

2. Do you trust McBeane to turn this around?

Edited by njbuff

17 minutes ago, Chemical said:

If only one could live each day and then relieve it a second time, just to get everything right and make everything perfect all the time.  

It must be very hard for you and it has to be very stressful being negative all the time ... even when you are right, this cannot be healthy. 

25 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Holy crap man. Someone bring this guy a Waaahburger and some french cries.

• Like (+1) 1

Things would be so much more pleasant and productive around here if this message board would divide off into two separate message boards.

One for the kool aid "positive" people and one for the "negative" realists.

95% of the fighting around here comes from eternal conflict between those two fundamental differences in perspective.

Little productive football discussion takes place as a result.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Well that leaves you out!

* I'd like to be positive.

* I'd like to see progress- anywhere.

* I'd like to rave about a Rodgers like, 45 yard bomb on the finger tips to cue a memorable comeback. Or... I'd like to see Brady like efficiency! 

* I'd like to see my team, just once, run the table in September OR finish the half at 6-2.

* I'd like to see Offensive Lineman who don't False start- at HOME! 

* I'd like to see ANY Receiver get open and catch a 20 yard out at the sideline with both feet in bounds.

* I'd like to be confident in my HCs game plan and far, far better- that he has enough smarts to change it at half time to overcome adversity.

* I'd like my GM to draft a star quality football player... hell at ANY position and still have them playing a decade later. I'll settle for 5 years now!

* I'd like to see an entire org to be proud of and rave about- not a bunch of stupid, untalented trash and stumblebums at virtually every position- so substandard, you find them on the second page of comparative position stats for the NFL.

I'd like to... but I can't. That was soooooo 2006! (And I do remember the wonder of greatness, cheering and positive vibes since I had Season Tix from 1988 to about 2006- where anything seemed possible in the Glory Years.)

I'm now a bitter realist. Show me or else- period.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why so sad about being worst team in the league during an obvious rebuilding year?  I would be more pissed if we were the 5th worst.  Watch josh and edmunds and white develop - and watch for others yet unknown to step up amd announce their names this year.  Fantasize about the draft and 2019. 

I mean, how did you not know what this season was?  Many attacked me a month ago for calling this a rebuild year.  If I know more about the bills than anyone here then yer doing it all wrong!  Ha.  I come here to learn not teach this stuff.  Lead with logic and not emotion - save the emotions for when we're a winning team in a couple.or three years.  

Edited by sleeby

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

And who do you expect to answer you?

I hope the venting here helps..

All the people complaining about the negativity on this board. If just one of them had a single reason not to be negative about the coach and GM I'm willing to listen. So far all I've seen is MORE people attempting to make fun of me for complaining, which is the origin of the post.

5 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Why so sad about being worst team in the league during an obvious rebuilding year?  I would be more pissed if we were the 5th worst.  Watch josh and edmunds and white develop - and watch for others yet unknown to step up amd announce their names this year.  Fantasize about the draft and 2019. 

I mean, how did you not know what this season was?  Many attacked me a month ago for calling this a rebuild year.  If I know more about the bills than anyone here then yer doing it all wrong!  Ha.  I come here to learn not teach this stuff.  Lead with logic and not emotion - save the emotions for when we're a winning team in a couple.or three years.  

Not sad about it. I saw it coming too. I just think it's ironic we might get the #1 pick the year after getting our QB. There's also no emotion for me regarding the team its just how it is. The emotion comes from people criticizing the negative posters who are correct and have been for as long as I can remember.

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

I’ll do better than that:

Josh Allen

Tre White

Tre Edmunds

Dion Dawkins

Harrison Phillips

Thank you, finally someone with something constructive. I'm excited about these players of course, just wish there was more around them.

18 minutes ago, Chemical said:

All the people complaining about the negativity on this board. If just one of them had a single reason not to be negative about the coach and GM I'm willing to listen. So far all I've seen is MORE people attempting to make fun of me for complaining, which is the origin of the post.

Personally I'm not making fun of you and my reason for offering advice to not be too invested is that getting angry won't change anything.  Easier said than done, I know.  But at the end of the day, you will be the only one that suffers (this is coming from someone who has his own share of anger issues that just end up hurting me somehow).

I think, since this IS a discussion forum, it's obviously fine and encouraged to discuss things but it can snowball so quickly into just a negative cesspool.  Kinda like what is happening all across the country on social media, on the news, etc.

EDIT:  to add to this thought, the above is one of the main reasons I have bashed Mike Schopp on WGR so much.  I think he has spent so much time being negative (whether justified or not) that its almost made his default response negative.  I think that is what I mean by not getting too invested emotionally.

Edited by Johnnycage46

2 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

This is why the franchise can’t have a quick trigger. They’ve already shown to be pretty adept at drafting.

Not sure what you mean by quick trigger, but they are the 2nd oldest team in the league so that's a lot of drafting. The players Beane traded were all still very young and could have been part of that core you listed.

I was thinking about this today when someone was talking about how the Jets have improved. I thought why the hell can't the Bills get to that stage where they look like a genuinely good up and coming young team? 

In this day and age of the salary cap and parity we should have at least reached this stage at some point over the last couple of decades, but we always look like a rag tag bunch, perfect for the football equivalent of a Major League movie but frustrating as hell as a fan. 

The losing itself is bad enough but at least lose in an entertaining way, scoring some points and making big plays. The Bills are always so dreary. If we were a weather we'd be sleet, if we were a music we'd be John Denver and if we were a colour we'd be beige. 

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Like (+1) 2

The only thing McBeane have shown is that they can deconstruct a roster. Whether they can rebuild it is another story.  They've taken their QB of the future and McCoach got his LB in 2018.  Beyond that I see little to nothing in talent on the OL (besides Dawkins), the WR group is and has been poor and the RBs are old.  The defensive is by no means close to being a strong unit either despite plenty of UFA dollars and draft picks going to that side in the past 2 years.   

I had/have high hopes for the GM and HC, but entering the 2nd season of this rebuild looks like it's already stalled.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Personally I'm not making fun of you and my reason for offering advice to not be too invested is that getting angry won't change anything.  Easier said than done, I know.  But at the end of the day, you will be the only one that suffers (this is coming from someone who has his own share of anger issues that just end up hurting me somehow).

I think, since this IS a discussion forum, it's obviously fine and encouraged to discuss things but it can snowball so quickly into just a negative cesspool.  Kinda like what is happening all across the country on social media, on the news, etc.

I saw your post as constructive. I'm not angry, more confused as to how anyone can have a positive outlook on this team and also criticize those who are negative. Especially considering the franchise's lack of success over the years.

26 minutes ago, Chemical said:

With the two of them they team made the playoffs last year.

49 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Sad I have to say this, but you are completely correct, and I attended the first Bills camp at Seymour Knox's estate and the first Bills game at the Rockpile, so I've seen a lot of crappy regimes. This one is looking more and more like "more of the same." I'm beginning to think McBeane's "vision" is more about creating an intense Fellowship of Christian Athletes bible study group than a winning NFL team

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I saw your post as constructive. I'm not angry, more confused as to how anyone can have a positive outlook on this team and also criticize those who are negative. Especially considering the franchise's lack of success over the years.

I agree with you on a lot of your statements above.  I think the board is quick to call negative posts overly negative and positive posts overly positive.  My bet is that there are just SO many of the negative threads now that people are getting fed up with it.

20 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

dareus and Glenn I don’t think had a place. Dareus was criminally overpaid and Glenn just wasn’t reliable. Watkins, maybe.

edit: what I mean is you have people here calling for them to be fired.

Hard to say Glenn didn't have a place on this brutal O line. Could have been an injury thing. Dareus may be overpaid I'll give you that even though it's arguable. However, couldn't they have just kept Dareus instead of paying 13.5 mil in dead cap for him and 10 mil to Star? Watkins is now the 4th receiving option on an AFC rival but would still be our best WR.  

It would be hard to impossible to fire them at this point, but I have very little faith especially in the coach based on his multitude of his in-game decisions which can be proven incorrect with 100% certainty. Not even including starting Peterman twice when you know he's trying to win.

EDIT: I just want to add that I have a positive outlook about Josh Allen after not liking the pick. He has shown me some things and I think he might be good.

Edited by Chemical

Dont you guys ever get sick of talking about this??

Poster above is right in that this place is turning into facebook with ill informed randos that dont pay attn offering their takes. Its what made the BBMB unreadable. Sunday cant come soon enough, bc then at least there will be new things to bemoan. That said, each person who comes along and thinks their pissed off take is worth starting a new thread is laughable. Not only do they not know what they are talling about, apparently they cant read either. We need a test like the Canadian lotto before a post can be published. That would at least help...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Dont you guys ever get sick of talking about this??

Poster above is right in that this place is turning into facebook with ill informed randos that dont pay attn offering their takes. Its what made the BBMB unreadable. Sunday cant come soon enough, bc then at least there will be new things to bemoan. That said, each person who comes along and thinks their pissed off take is worth starting a new thread is laughable. Not only do they not know what they are talling about, apparently they cant read either. We need a test like the Canadian lotto before a post can be published. That would at least help...

Talking about what? You're the one whose reading comprehension should be called into question. This thread is about how the backlash to the negative posters is illogical. You're just adding to that. The OP only says you are wrong and have been wrong for years.