Getting a little concerned with the frequency of blowout games we are completely overmatched from the get go under McDermott

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm depressed.  My parents are !@#$s for making me a Bills fan :bag:

Reminds me of Chip Kelly, trading away the most talent, bringing in crap and then getting canned.

Exactly what I was thinking blitz.

Said it to my buddy before the game actually.

Good coaches are not always good talent evaluators.

I'm not a fan who needs everyone to be fired just because the Bills lost, and are likely to keep losing.  But the team needs to have a relationship of trust with the fans.  We can accept that becoming a contender is not some random process, but takes both skill as well as a bit of good fortune.  No team's management can fully predict or control the future.

But they can be honest about where they are now, and what they are trying to achieve with personnel decisions.

If the Bills had told fans that this would be a rebuilding year, fans could decide whether to buy tickets, how much to expect of the team, etc.  They might even be able to take some satisfaction in watching the development of certain players.  Instead, the party line was that the roster of QBs in camp would not be a step backward from Tyrod, might possibly be better in the short run with a new offensive scheme, and would be definitely better in the long run once Allen was ready to start.  It seemed that their approach to playing their QBs in  pre-season was designed to prevent showing the fans that:  a) McCarron wasn't seriously in the running for the job, b) Peterman still can't compete against NFL starters, c) Allen would not be a competent starter under any scenario (playing or not playing) for some time, and d) the offensive line would make any of them look even worse than they actually are.

Was the plan to tank this season, and draft line talent/WR talent in 2019?  That would be rational if the assessment was that no QB on the roster would be able to overcome these deficiencies this season.

If the plan was to tank, why not try to move Shady?

Why not be honest with us?  I don't think I can stomach another "We'll have to look at the tape".

Everyone knew going in this was going to be a rebuilding year, we lost a lot on the oline and we didn't have any WRs.   now getting blown out consistently is not even remotely acceptable, but we need to see what Beane does with an offseason with 65 mil in cap space and 10 draft picks.   We knew we had holes going in, but i never expected to get beat as bad as we did.   

• Like (+1) 1

You are all something else lol.  You go as far as the talent takes you and we transitioning from an old expensive team to a younger team with depth.  The problem is all the dead money we have getting rid of the fat which has limited the depth options.  After we weather this year with another draft class plus all the new capspace we should have no problem fortifying up depth around the roster and it's all clear sailing from there.

34 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I fairly confident that McDermott is the primary decision maker at OBD. 

Beane is McDermott's puppet. 

I agree with this, but that's the problem. He's not a scout so he makes the board. He's watching college games and scouting free agents while McDermott plans for the week. At the end of the season it is Beane's work that gets us a list for McDermott to select from. I'd rather keep McDermott and hire a real football man to be GM. Or even make Beane team president and hire a football man under him. I was hoping they had this relationship with Brian Gaine, but he didn't even last a season.

Blowouts under McDermott is a weird stat and definitely something that should be cause for concern. McDermott is 9-8 in his 17 regular season games, but 5 of those have been 20+ point losses and as previously stated 3 have been 30+ point blowouts.

YE OLE did a little digging and the Browns during that same period have obviously gone winless (0-16-1) but have only been beaten by 20+ once (a 24 point loss to the Bengals).

When we went on that 3 game skid last season YE OLE thought we wouldn’t see another win the remainder of the year and yet they came back and looked more than competent. There’s a difference between being bad and completely unprepared to function. Why such wild swings with McDermott?

People, go smoke a peace pipe and come back in a couple days.  We got roasted but a good defense in bad weather on the road...life will go on.  Allen will be the regular starter by season's end and things will be looking up.  Yes, we need a couple pieces, pass rusher and a stud O-Lineman...things will come back around.

21 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

he runs a simple zone defensive scheme, not a lot of blitzing. So good QBs can pick it apart. Needs a stout Dline and great MLB

The Steelers built the iron curtain doing this, the trick is having a front 4 that can get pressure without blitzing.  Schwartz did this too.

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We could see similar results in the next three contests.

This is a very plausible scenario, imo.  If this happens, someone has to be held accountable, right?  I mean, even if you want to tank the season with the goal of having 90MM+ in cap space and high draft picks, 3 more blowouts like the previous 4 McDermott has led would be NFL record setting levels of incompetence.

I think it's the defense that will cause McDermott to sink or swim.  No one expected that side of the ball to be so putrid, it was the offense that was supposed to be this bad.  Although the media is honing in on who the quarterback is going to be next week, I think the bigger concern is whether the defense can hold their opponent to a respectable score.

Hell I would be happy if next week's score is 17-0.  Even 24-0 would be an improvement over this week's debacle.

Hard to feild a competitive team with 50 mil in dead money.  I think they had a good idea this was going to be the case.  That is why Beane absolutely refused to trade next year's first.

8 hours ago, saundena said:

This is what happens when you give carte blanche to a first time coach and a first time GM.

They either need to fix "the process" and figure out what works, or they will be gone.  (The process, by the way, always pissed me off, as if together McBeane had so much repeatable success in the past that they could demand such conformity to the system as if it were a magical pancia).

If they win 6+ games they will be given a 3rd season. Winn less than 4 games, especially with several blowout losses then I think we will have another change in management unfortunately

What about rebuild is it that you people don't understand.  The fact that we made the playoffs last year was a testimony to the process.

Also I guess they should have known that Wood would have a career ending injury that no one knew about and they should have known that Richie was going to lose his mind.

Some people need to just read and not type.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wouldn't the personnel decisions such as selecting QB, lie at the feet of the GM?

I don't know if McDermott and Beane are the right guys.  But I do know that this cycle of hiring and firing coaches and GMs every 2-3 years has got to stop.

It's no coincidence that the teams in the league who have had the most consistent success, are those with the longest tenured GMs/HCs.

People's heads here would explode if we followed the Bengals example but you are right.  Turning over the top positions constantly at OBD has yielded nothing in the last 18 years and it has to change.  It's painful to say but not all coaches grow the same and it might take more than a year or two for the current regime to find its sea legs.  It's worse for Bills fans to endure because of all the years of Ralph penny pinching the team in some respects.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Blowouts under McDermott is a weird stat and definitely something that should be cause for concern. McDermott is 9-8 in his 17 regular season games, but 5 of those have been 20+ point losses and as previously stated 3 have been 30+ point blowouts.

YE OLE did a little digging and the Browns during that same period have obviously gone winless (0-16-1) but have only been beaten by 20+ once (a 24 point loss to the Bengals).

When we went on that 3 game skid last season YE OLE thought we wouldn’t see another win the remainder of the year and yet they came back and looked more than competent. There’s a difference between being bad and completely unprepared to function. Why such wild swings with McDermott?

Exactly. It's more weird than a tale tell sign. People vomit all over McD and company, but the Bills keep surprising us in both directions. Who expected the 3 blowout games in a row? But then who expected the team to bounce back and make the playoffs? It makes no sense either way. A conservative defensively minded coach should even less have a team that does this. Hard to read to much into this IMO. Still during that long drought, the Bills were rarely destroyed like that, and damn it sucks!

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Im not saying Taylor is a long term answer, but I have to think McDermott's 'pious' obsession with NP has cost him dearly in the locker room, and they are botching Josh Allen's developement similar to that of EJ.

Andy Reid drafted Mahomes and they kept Alex Smith there, Im sure that had a very positive effect on Mahomes.

Even Mahomes said how much of a positive influence Chad Henne is.

Where is that vet here to mentor Josh Allen?

McDermott is a fool.

McDermott didn’t sign and then trade mccarron. For some reason peterman was really able to fool beane this off-season. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We could see similar results in the next three contests.

Only because yesterday's outing was so putrid that I believe there is reason things will improve.  Whether that translates into wins is an entirely different question.  I can only hope that already this morning there has been a fairly uncomfortable meeting for Castillo and Daboll hosted by McDermott.  I think the defense will pull itself out of its funk with Edmunds getting more experience, a CB player emerging opposite CB White, and Murphy shaking off too much off season rust.  Star will hopefully see the end coming if he does not do his part by keeping the Bills from getting within reach of Bosa or Oliver.  

10 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

McDermott didn’t sign and then trade mccarron. For some reason peterman was really able to fool beane this off-season. 

Sal has reported that Peterman seems to decide to throw to a pre determined player pre snap and then throw it regardless of coverage.  Now in preseason with no game planning and vanilla defenses this can work well...there is no disguising coverages or rolling coverages post snap. The players are doing exactly what they are showing. Which is why Peterman can execute well.

Once the regular season starts and they start game planning and disguising coverages and showing one look pre snap but playing totally different coverages post snap and Peterman tries to do this it fails abysmally.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Don't you think McDermott signed off on both decisions?  And surely Daboll was "in" on it - at least, given his track record in previous OC gigs, I would expect that he lobbied for that.

I think Peterman is just such a Whiteboard Wizard that OCs and HCs can't see what there is to see on the practice field.

Which may say something about how they're practicing, or how involved the OC and HC are in the practice.

I don't think the blowouts are down to lack of talent on this team. Even if you consider this to be a weak squad. They made the playoffs last year, they are capable of hanging with and even beating talented teams. The big problem is that McD and the rest of his coaches are either poor or mediocre at 2 huge facets of the game:

1. McD has failed to properly prepare his team for some of the games under his tenure. Its like the Bills were shocked what the opposing team threw at them and before they had time to recover they were down multiple scores and the game was over. In contrast, the teams the Bills faced in these blow out games seem to have done their homework and studied the Bills' weak points and hammered them on it.  The Bills offensive and defensive game plans show little study of the opposing teams. Yesterday was a perfect example. On offense they had Peterman (who they already know is limited) trying to do stuff that had a low chance of working. He faced a fierce rush on a lot of plays which the Bills didn't seem to anticipate would happen. Why wasn't Peterman asked to throw quick short passes. Where was the running game? It looked very poorly scripted or called.   The defense was the same thing. Flacco has been around for a decade, you have to know as a coach what works and what doesn't against him. Yet the Bills had no rush and a soft zone coverage on many plays as if they were playing a rookie in the preseason.

2. McD and co are very poor at in game adjustments. They stubbornly persist at what they are doing (or not doing) even when the game is getting away from them and their success has been limited to non existent.  They don't seem to have a plan B when things are not working. Daboll had a very vanilla game plan that was getting blown up even in the first quarter, yet they persisted with this right until the end of the half. Same on the defense. The D was getting shredded and there was no change of plan. Flacco got very comfortable back there and as a savvy vet he just went with what the Bills gave him.

All in all it doesn't bode well for the future of this crew when you don't prepare and don't react. I have a bad feeling we are going to see more of these blowups unless the coaches start to learn!

59 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I don't think the blowouts are down to lack of talent on this team. Even if you consider this to be a weak squad. They made the playoffs last year, they are capable of hanging with and even beating talented teams. The big problem is that McD and the rest of his coaches are either poor or mediocre at 2 huge facets of the game:

1. McD has failed to properly prepare his team for some of the games under his tenure. Its like the Bills were shocked what the opposing team threw at them and before they had time to recover they were down multiple scores and the game was over. In contrast, the teams the Bills faced in these blow out games seem to have done their homework and studied the Bills' weak points and hammered them on it.  The Bills offensive and defensive game plans show little study of the opposing teams. Yesterday was a perfect example. On offense they had Peterman (who they already know is limited) trying to do stuff that had a low chance of working. He faced a fierce rush on a lot of plays which the Bills didn't seem to anticipate would happen. Why wasn't Peterman asked to throw quick short passes. Where was the running game? It looked very poorly scripted or called.   The defense was the same thing. Flacco has been around for a decade, you have to know as a coach what works and what doesn't against him. Yet the Bills had no rush and a soft zone coverage on many plays as if they were playing a rookie in the preseason.

2. McD and co are very poor at in game adjustments. They stubbornly persist at what they are doing (or not doing) even when the game is getting away from them and their success has been limited to non existent.  They don't seem to have a plan B when things are not working. Daboll had a very vanilla game plan that was getting blown up even in the first quarter, yet they persisted with this right until the end of the half. Same on the defense. The D was getting shredded and there was no change of plan. Flacco got very comfortable back there and as a savvy vet he just went with what the Bills gave him.

All in all it doesn't bode well for the future of this crew when you don't prepare and don't react. I have a bad feeling we are going to see more of these blowups unless the coaches start to learn!

I think a lot of people are wrongly focusing on our playoff game last year as some sort of indication that things are going well.

We barely made the playoffs in a very weak AFC year and needed big help to do it.  We also won the relatively low number of games that we did win b/c we enjoyed an almost historical takeaway/giveaway ratio advantage that is virtually impossible to replicate.

Tyrod, the king of no turnovers, is gone.  And the crazy weird hot streak our D went on in terms of taking the ball away in the first half or so of the season is never going to be repeated again.

Had just a few factors gone differently, we would NOT have been a playoff team last year and folks would stop focusing on that as some type of indicator that we are "good" however you want to define that.

Just remember, what we did last year is no different than what Doug Marrone accomplished....but his team didn't get the random help it needed and so we didn't make the playoffs under him.  

It's an interesting thread. When things go bad defensively, they go REALLY bad.

Another thing I've noticed under McDermott is that we get a lot of three and outs/turnovers, but rarely kept teams out of the endzone once the opponent's drive got underway. That tells me that a void in leadership exists on that side of the ball. Hopefully Edmunds is that guy.

The Bills were crushed by the Ravens in Week one in ultra embarrassing fashion. There is no denying that. 

Reminder: Just last season the Bills had a 3 week stretch of putrid showings from Week 9 - Week 11:

Loss at NYJ 34-21

Loss vs NO  47-10

Loss at LAC 54-24

Sometimes in the NFL you get your ass handed to you - especially when talent is a question mark. After that stretch the Bills finished the year 4-2 to earn their first playoff birth in 17 years...and the 2 losses in that 6 game stretch were both to New England. 

Don’t give up on this team quite yet. 

It's actually a sign of horrendous in-game coaching. When things snowball, the team has no ability to stop it. No ability to adjust game plans and find mismatches to exploit. From what we've been told, our game plan is to find and create these.  seems like an #epicFail

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

It's actually a sign of horrendous in-game coaching. When things snowball, the team has no ability to stop it. No ability to adjust game plans and find mismatches to exploit. From what we've been told, our game plan is to find and create these.  seems like an #epicFail

Or a sign that they're not built to come back behind the powerful arms of Tyrod Taylor or Nate Peterman.  

I've seen this narrative spreading across TBD, yeah when they start to get blown out it's hard to come back -  because they're not that good right now, because they're in the middle of a rebuild...

Also, per the A22 thread sounds like there might be a few small things we can do to shore up the D.  The O line however, yikes.

Edited by Heitz

15 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

The Bills were crushed by the Ravens in Week one in ultra embarrassing fashion. There is no denying that. 

Reminder: Just last season the Bills had a 3 week stretch of putrid showings from Week 9 - Week 11:

Loss at NYJ 34-21

Loss vs NO  47-10

Loss at LAC 54-24

Sometimes in the NFL you get your ass handed to you - especially when talent is a question mark. After that stretch the Bills finished the year 4-2 to earn their first playoff birth in 17 years...and the 2 losses in that 6 game stretch were both to New England. 

Fun fact. 

Rex Ryan worst loss was by 16 points.

McDermott has 6 20+ Point losses already. For a guy that supposedly knows defense, that's a 35% rate of losing by 20 or more. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Man, I’ve tried a couple of times to add some small glimmer of positivity to these boards in the last few days but the cloak of darkness that are your average Bills fans have quickly swallowed that hope whole and flushed it down the toilet. 

You guys are damn depressing. If I keep reading these responses I’m going to need a therapist ??

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

Loss at NYJ 34-21

Loss vs NO  47-10

Loss at LAC 54-24

I saw all I needed to see in the Cincinnati pre-season game.  You extend that game out 4 quarters and it looks exactly like the Ravens beating.  I had the Bill losing by a score of 40 - 7, man was I dead wrong.  the gutting of the offensive line was simply not addressed, the defensive line looks weak and incapable of any pass rush, and now the secondary looks putrid.  Toss onto this a WR group that couldn't start for another NFL team and you have the makings of an 0-16, or if we're lucky a  2-14 campaign.  I love optimism like anyone else, but this team blows large chunks of dead camel.

The sky fell 3 weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's not that we're losing its the way we're losing.   These blowouts are way more common than they were under Gailey/Marrone/even Rex didn't get obliterated 2-3 games a year.   

See 4 posts above yours. Its a common theme with this staff to lose by 20 or more. 

20 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

Loss at NYJ 34-21

Loss vs NO  47-10

Loss at LAC 54-24

That team and this team aren’t the same. They’ve downgraded at QB, WR, CB, & OL. None of those are even up for debate. That team was a team that could get to 9-7 if the breaks went their way. Despite being outscored by 57 points (21st in the league) they managed to turn timely turnovers into a winning record. This team is not that team. If they get a few timely turnovers they may be looking at 4-12 instead of 2-14. 

That is okay too as as long as Allen can play. People can prepare to be disappointed though if they expect this team to be around .500. They just don’t have the guys to make that happen.

I feel sorry for Josh Allen!

After last weeks devastating loss, the only moves made by the OBD is to move around a couple of defensive players.

The only change on offense is to let Josh Allen get sacked for an entire game.

McBeane are looking like posers. Do they even have a clue?

I am feeling so discouraged.