ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McD loves special teams. He kept at least three guys just for special teams that aren't kickers or holders, Holmes, Jones and Lacey, who weren't needed at their regular positions. 

Cool, I  hope  this works out, been a long time besides an all-pro punter....

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Somehow, a playoff team from last year, losing their QB who led a feeble passing game...is now worse than 0-16 Cleveland?   Maybe it's the O-line mess that has as much to do with that ranking as anything.  The QB is a big ?? but if they can limit turnovers it's not going to be a complete disaster.  I guess the pundits don't think Peterman or Allen can play at all.

Browns are probably going 0-6 in their division, while the Bills are only kinda slotted for 0-2 with the Pats, and could go 2-2 on the Fish/Jets and still be seen as the worst team

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Somehow, a playoff team from last year, losing their QB who led a feeble passing game...is now worse than 0-16 Cleveland?   Maybe it's the O-line mess that has as much to do with that ranking as anything.  The QB is a big ?? but if they can limit turnovers it's not going to be a complete disaster.  I guess the pundits don't think Peterman or Allen can play at all.

I'd be more concerned about the OL.  If you dont have solid OL play you are not going anywhere in this league.  And our group is pretty bad off talent wise.

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Don't place stock in pre-season estimates regardless if they ranked us #32 or #1.  Way too many variables to know what's going to happen.  Injuries being the primary one, but also we don't know yet about how Daboll will really run his offense.  The line is bad in pass protection, but do OK with run blocking, so I can see a lot of runs,  lot of two step drops and quick throws, screens, etc.  I don't think Daboll showed his hand in pre-season.  As for D, we don't know what Frazier will dial up for pass rushing.  Edmunds should come on as the season goes on.  DB.s are good.  Question will be the run D.

Very good post. They should hire you at ESPN. You have a better knowledge of the team.

Just now, joesixpack said:

at 250 to 1 I'm gonna head down to the Atlantic City books and throw 50 down on it.

Why the hell not

Cover it with 50 on the half and 50 on the first pass. I hate the guy and think he won't throw an INT on first pass and will start the second half barring injury. You make 25 or so and still have the SB bet. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thurst44 said:

It's this weird national hysteria that seems to happen every year where the national prognosticators seem to grab hold of the Bills as the worst team in football and play a bizarre game of who-can-top-this-&*(_ to say how awful this team will be. And we never are, but that doesn't stop them. 

This one baffles me though. Our defense was one of the top defenses save for that three game stretch. Is the loss of Preston Brown that serious?

I'll contend that this defense will likely be one of the better in this league (although it might be obscured by being on the field a lot)

I really think that's what you'll see the most. Our OL won't be able to keep our offense on the field long enough to make a difference the way they're currently playing.

The pertinent issues on our defense however, are stopping the run and DB2. We watched Davis get torched in man coverage by flankers and WR2, which is what he would mostly be covering in those schemes as DB2. Fine with him in zone for the most part, but we have a fairly concerning hole in our secondary.

Our D-Line will continue to suffer until HP develops - we'll miss Kyle for sure which likely contributes to this ranking as well, but anticipating him leaving after the season, we don't have anyone to stop the run outside of HP and Star... With a young LB corps, expect to see teams carve out some decent run gashes.

My way too early prediction? The rankings are accurate until the players play, and they aren't.

ADDENDUM:

As far as offensive rankings with the OL, I mentioned in another thread the issue of continuity and QB competitions, so hopefully that is the case and now they can start getting a rhythm together. Otherwise they're just talking the talk: 

With a clear sense of direction, the team is excited to start moving forward with Peterman.

"Now you have an opportunity for guys to work together, some continuity and time to prepare," said Kyle Williams.

"Knowing how we're going into the game with no questions. No distractions. It feels good," added Groy.

"It makes the offensive line more comfortable because we know where to set in the pocket and where [Nathan] will be because every quarterback is different," said Dion Dawkins.

-from the Rochester First article posted on the news board

Edited by ctk232

4 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

Or hey, how about it's fun?  It's just sports?  It's ragging on a FO?  Fans are not allowed to do so?

I mean, you keep bringing up all that work I did, iirc it took me like 3 minutes 28.7 seconds or something...

Why did you do it? Since it wasn't for attention, I'm just curious. 

Fansided Bills' 2018 Preview

Bills embark on new era with Josh Allen and a slew of questions

After finally breaking their playoff drought, the Buffalo Bills might be in for a tough season. Buffalo, after reaching the postseason for the first time since 1999, watched a litany of the team’s key members, including Tyrod Taylor, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn and Richie Incognito, all either change uniforms or retire.

In the draft, the Bills added a pair of first-round talents in Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds, and that’s really what 2018 in western New York is about.

Buffalo will likely start Allen sooner rather than later, and if he shows signs of becoming the next franchise quarterback, this campaign can be considered a roaring success. The Bills have been looking for such a player since Jim Kelly retired — in 1996.

Allen has a good chance to see ample time considering his competition is Nathan Peterman, a second-year man with limited upside. After trading AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders, the Bills are seemingly content with that duo, despite Peterman, in his only start as a rookie in 2017, throwing five interceptions in a single half.

Fate

3-13, 4th in AFC East

While the prospects of grand success are dim for the Bills, there’s a good amount of young talent on the roster. While all of it matures, Shady will keep the highlights coming, the fans will create their own fun in the parking lots and Allen will get his chance to shine. Take heart, Buffalo.

Most people felt last years roster was tanking. This years roster is worse. It's going to be a long year. I highly doubt we get a positive turnover differential this year with the QBs we have. It's OK though. 2019 will be better. They will spend and surround Allen with talent. Think Bears. Very similar. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

All these talking heads that touted us as the worst team in the nfl last year refuse to swallow their pride and admit that they were wrong. Instead, they double down. I think there’s a chance we’re not great this year, but there’s a better chance we surprise again.

let them eat cake.

The national media is sleeping on Peterman who will be better than people think. He makes good, quick decisions with the ball. He can't throw long outs or over the top. We also don't receivers who are getting open on long outs or over the top so it isn't really an opportunity cost. 

If Allen plays early, we'll lose a lot. Probably top 3 pick. If McD waits until week 10 or later to start JA we'll be far from the worst team in the league record-wise. 

Edited by VW82

This is all good these gloomy forecasts.  Will give the players more motivation starting in just a few days.  They are playing possibly the most over rated team in the NFL this weekend.  Flacco now sucks and their offense is pretty pedestrian.   Defense is over rated as they played against a lot of crappy offensive teams last year.  Take a look, they played a garbage schedule last year and couldn't make the playoffs.   They won't win more than 6 games this year and will be under .500 in their own division, swept by Steelers and Bengals.

Very winnable game for the Bills Sunday.

Seriously, the Ravens suck.  Nothing to fear.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2017.htm

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Most people felt last years roster was tanking. This years roster is worse. It's going to be a long year. I highly doubt we get a positive turnover differential this year with the QBs we have. It's OK though. 2019 will be better. They will spend and surround Allen with talent. Think Bears. Very similar. 

You make the assumption that Allen will be worth surrounding with talent.

None of us has any idea if he will be horrible, good, or great.

Not yet anyway.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ha. It's only 12 to 1 odds Peterman doesn't start second half. That cracks me up. 

10 to 1 his first pass is INT. 

It's a joke that the Bills are rated last but the Jets at 31 is pretty stupid too.  Both teams are far better than Miami IMO.

MMQB Experts weigh in.

NFL Predictions: Playoff Picks, Super Bowl LIII Champ

By THE MMQB STAFF  September 04, 2018

Last season the Eagles laughed at everyone’s preseason predictions en route to defeating the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. Will we see a return to the mean with one of the perennial favorites taking the crown or can another unexpected team rise above the rest?

The 2018 NFL season kicks off with the Falcons heading up to Philadelphia to take on the reigning Super Bowl champs on Thursday. But before that can happen, the writers and editors of The MMQB peer into the crystal ball to make playoff and Super Bowl LIII predictions, pick award winners and explain what they think will be the standout storyline this season.

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

MMQB Experts weigh in.

NFL Predictions: Playoff Picks, Super Bowl LIII Champ

By THE MMQB STAFF  September 04, 2018

Last season the Eagles laughed at everyone’s preseason predictions en route to defeating the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. Will we see a return to the mean with one of the perennial favorites taking the crown or can another unexpected team rise above the rest?

The 2018 NFL season kicks off with the Falcons heading up to Philadelphia to take on the reigning Super Bowl champs on Thursday. But before that can happen, the writers and editors of The MMQB peer into the crystal ball to make playoff and Super Bowl LIII predictions, pick award winners and explain what they think will be the standout storyline this season.

I never understand these prognosticators, before the season even begins, choosing their No. 3 seed in the AFC to win it all. I mean, I get choosing the division winners and who will win the Super Bowl, but if you're going to choose the Steelers to win the whole damn thing, why not have them at least have a home game in the playoffs? And they have the Pats and Texans as the 1 and 2 seeds, yet the Jags will make it to the AFC Championship game as the 5 seed? 

Just so stupid. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

I think we end up pleasantly surprised by the offense assuming Peterman starts most of the games. By pleasantly surprised I'm talking ranked around 22nd so still bottom third of the league but a slight improvement over last year. 

I think the defense takes a step back. 32nd seems unlikely though. But I could see us finishing in the 24-28 range.

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

2 questions:

1. Does anyone think that ESPN has ever once ranked an NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL team that made the playoffs the previous year as last overall when making predictions the following year?  The only one I can think of as a possibility is the Florida Marlins a while back when they had an all out purge.  We lost Preston Brown, Eric Wood and Tyrod Taylor.  This is just ridiculous and based on nothing.

2.  If last year's roster played for another franchise, let's call it the Titans for argument's sake, had identical 2017 results and made identical offseason moves to us, would they get moved to 32 by ESPN?  That is highly doubtful to me.  Their rankings are uniform dependent.  It's the Bills so 32.  Titans, move them to 22.  Steelers, they'd be ranked 8.  Jets?  14.  Cards? 26.  Pats?  Next 9 Super Bowls are in the bag.

My favorites are the prognosticators who say the o-line is going to be in trouble this year without Cordy Glenn—as if he was the cornerstone of the offense last season.

Edited by mannc

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

I just don't get this, I really don't.  Are the Jets and Dolphins really that much better than us?  They have very similar schedules and I just don't see where they made huge offseason upgrades.  I'd argue the Dolphins could be worse now. 

Last season I wondered how bad Derek Carr's back affected him, but if that was a step back, I could see Oakland being a trainwreck.  

Either way, I don't mind being overlooked, but I just can't see us as the worst team in the league.

Oakland has AJ to Amari......all day long.

10 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

should a regime in it's second year have the worst roster in football ?  

First year is usually spent "cleaning up" the mess the previous FO created, lot of dead cap etc.  However, a lot of times the cleaning process is just creating a new mess in the image of the new FO.  One mess after another this franchise has been for a very long time.

9 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I never understand these prognosticators, before the season even begins, choosing their No. 3 seed in the AFC to win it all. I mean, I get choosing the division winners and who will win the Super Bowl, but if you're going to choose the Steelers to win the whole damn thing, why not have them at least have a home game in the playoffs? And they have the Pats and Texans as the 1 and 2 seeds, yet the Jags will make it to the AFC Championship game as the 5 seed? 

Just so stupid. 

as I posted 2 pages back 

Extremely

Stupid

Peoples

Network

55 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This board won't be interesting in 4 weeks if they're 0-4. It'll be miserable, full of whining people that sound like overwrought housewives at a book club who've had too much wine. MANY MANY boxes of kleenex.

blob.png.355a35291191349b27373c86363b3ef2.png

just like these

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Buffalo Bills

Projected Super Bowl odds: 0.1 percent

Another team with a new quarterback. The Bills traded Tyrod Taylor and already both acquired and traded AJ McCarron, leaving them with just Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen on the roster. The most plausible scenario for a return to the playoffs is that the Bills get an effective running game while Allen steps in and harnesses his elite physical traits as a deep passer on play-action. The ideal offense here is probably something like the 2008 Ravens, who had Joe Flaccothrow the ball only 26.8 times per game.
Vontae DavisStar Lotulelei and first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds this offseason. The Bills proved they can make the playoffs alongside the Patriots last season, of course, but their ideal path would be some sort of lost season in New England and a home playoff game in Buffalo for the first time since 1996.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

This board won't be interesting in 4 weeks if they're 0-4. It'll be miserable, full of whining people that sound like overwrought housewives at a book club who've had too much wine. MANY MANY boxes of kleenex.

we are here to embrace the full punishment we deserve